It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Genealogy 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Since I've been so obsessed with it recently, I thought I might as well make a topic. As an American, I know (as of now) 0% of my pedigree originates here. During my research, I found out that I'm Swiss and Austrian, which I, nor my family, never knew. My mother's father always said, "WE'RE IRISH!" and my dad's parents always said, "Just German." My mom's mom was the only one who was ever honest about her family history.

Where are your family origins? Have you or your family done research? If you don't know, and you have surviving grandparents (or even better, great grandparents), ask questions now. Maybe you don't give a ****, but guaranteed your family has plenty of interesting history worth looking into.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My grandfather has said that we go back through Mexico to Spain. Apparently, two of my ancestors who were brothers were in some sort of legal trouble. Upon arriving in North America, they switched names.

My last name would suggest that the location of origin in Spain is not quite part of the country. It is actually a place called the Basque Country which is inhabited by a people with it's own language. Basque is such a unique language that it is what is referred to as an "isolate", meaning that it is completely unrelated to any other existing language. I once spoke to a linguist about this who said that the structure of the language is so different that he has to make a major mental shift just to study it.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

interestingly enough, while i always tell people i'm half-japanese half-white (idk what kind, probably english or something....judging by richardson as a last name, with richard being an english name) i'm actually only a fourth-japanese; the other fourth is taiwanese. but i know little about that part, so i just stick with the half-japanese (not jap; that's offensive to me).
the other interesting part is i had ancestors who fought/were in the military on opposite sides of WW2. my great grandfather was a captain in the army in japan, while idk what my other great grandfather did.... the one in japan was against hirohito's ideals, for the record... but yeah.
that's about that.... pretty interesting topic, i always wanted to know more about my family history. maybe i'll get an ancestry tree thingy online.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:37 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I tried to make a family tree on geni.com a few months ago but I only did a few generations. The weirdest quirk of those I did is that my paternal grandfather's father and my paternal grandmother's mother married each other; this was after their children had separated. Sounds incestuous but it's not. That's my dad's side, which is mainly Irish.

The most difficult thing about my mom's side is that it's a big, traditional Greek family. That means a lot of cousins with the same name. In my family's case, my mom has a lot of cousins named Maria and Greg, which are also her name and my uncle's name.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:08 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm very diverse: of my 8 great-grandparents, there are 6 different ethnic backgrounds

Dad's dad's dad: Russian/Ukrainian, came to America when the Bolshevik Revolution took place.
Dad's dad's mom: Russian/Ukrainian, came to America when the Bolshevik Revolution took place.
Dad's mom's dad: Either Albanian or Hetzegovinian, we really can't tell which
Dad's mom's mom: Either Albanian or Hetzegovinian, we really can't tell which
Mom's dad's dad: English, decendant of one of the first settlers of Virginia actually.
Mom's dad's mom: German
Mom's mom's dad: Navajo Indian
Mom's mom's mom: Portugese

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm native. And that's it.

I'm not part anything, but most of my family is. Some are half-white and others half-black, but that's pretty much it. I have like maybe 3 other full native cousins and my brothers.

Anybody before my generation (meaning my mom's and then back further) is full too. Same with my dad's.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm pure Canadian, but I guess technically that means I'm british or something of that sort.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:19 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ryanh181 wrote:
I'm pure Canadian, but I guess technically that means I'm british or something of that sort.

or french, right?? i thought there was like, canadians who speak english, then those who speak french. can't remember where i heard that, tho. sry if that sounds dumb, but....

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My father's family is from Kansas & Nebraska, before that down in Tennessee. Before that we've traced them back to England (primarily).

My Mother's family is from Nebraska also. But before that, we came from Russia. I've actually managed to find records from the German colonies in the Volga region of Russia which have allowed me to trace my family back into Germany in the late 1700's.

I was named for my mother's cousin who was killed in WWII. He was with the first group of U.S. soldiers to secure the bridgehead after we had captured the famous Ludendorf bridge (watch the movie "The Bridge at Remagen"). (See John Fischer at "Find-a-Grave".)

My great-grandfather on my dad's side was murdered down in Yuma, AZ. I'm still working on getting a good copy of the newspaper article on that. Skeletons in the closet; My grandfather (on my mother's side) was arrested when he was 16 for trying to pass a forged check. ;-)

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My dad's family is primarily German with a bit of Italian mixed in.

My mom's family is primarily Yugoslavian... at least that's what she told me.

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
or french, right?? i thought there was like, canadians who speak english, then those who speak french. can't remember where i heard that, tho. sry if that sounds dumb, but....

That's not dumb at all.There was a group of people (can't remember the name) who moved to the Nova Scotia area who spoke French.Learned that in my Louisiana History class.Which reminds me...Louisiana's southern half is mostly Cajun.They speak a dialect of French (Cajun-French,of course).

I've been told that my family has mostly German roots,but we also have some Irish.I'm also part Cherokee and Choctaw.Because of my heritage,I'm often called "Hitler","Nazi","Jew-Hater",and "Indian Outlaw".Of course,most of this refers to my German heritage,but the Germans didn't hate Jews;Hitler did.Hitler was really Austrian (or was it Belgian? or Swiss?).But,anyway,this thread is for declaring your heritage,not debating over Hitler's country of origin.

My new Dark dragon,Chaos!

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm Canadian and Irish. My Uncle is Brittish. Also:
Draconian Kelsie wrote:
rex09 wrote:

That's not dumb at all.There was a group of people (can't remember the name) who moved to the Nova Scotia area who spoke French.Learned that in my Louisiana History class.Which reminds me...Louisiana's southern half is mostly Cajun.They speak a dialect of French (Cajun-French,of course).

I remember once on a test I put both French and English on a test about Canada, and My Teacher got really pissed at me. My family is from Quebec, and French is spoken there. So you're technically right rex.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:58 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Lately, I've been obsessed with Recombinant DNA, so soon I will be creating my own child.

But I am 50% German, 25% Italian, and 25% Polish.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i am mostly german, on my moms side, a little bit polish and my dads side is almost all irish with a tiny bit of british. I have recently discovered that my mom was born in Germany, while my grandpa was working there. and my grandma still knows fluent german, i've always wanted her to teach me, but shes much too old now. i'm thinking about asking my sisters boyfriend because he knows quite a bit since he has ALOT of german in him. more than me, and knows alot of german language. he tends to call me "things" in german, but whatever.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]