**** you, Jim Joyce 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/04/sports/04leading.html

Discuss.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If it was against the Rays, it would've been an out.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't think it was the team that affected it. Umpires are always being blasted for making bad calls, but you have to realize they have split-second decisions to make. Admitting that Joyce was wrong on the call and reviewing it to make Galarraga's perfect game a reality, they would have had to run several different calls through on the same day because of a similar principle. For now, he'll think of it as his perfect game, and Jim Joyce will feel like the worst person in the world for a while for denying him one...

Consider also the rarity of perfect games. Having three so close together is unheard of... Perhaps it's God's way of saying "wait a few years"! :P But in all seriousness, Galarraga was very professional, and props to him for it... Not every day you lose a perfect game.

AEPMT :mrgreen: ;) 8-)

If you want to get better at writing in general, please visit my site!

Writers' Challenge

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Although I'd have liked three perfectos in a month, The league needs to have divine luck if that was to happen. Jim Joyce is that one little speck of bad luck that **** up the whole thing. The next day, Bud Selig chose not to overturn the call, even though the runner was clearly out. You really have to wonder what Galarraga did in a previous life to merit this kind of treatment.

Man, this takes me back to Harvey Haddix's 12-inning no-no against the (very) powerful Braves on May 26, 1959. He retired THIRTY SIX batters before one reached base. Yet he lost the game. Years after, MLB said he hadn't pitched a no-hitter at all. You really have to wonder what Haddix did in a previous life to merit this kind of treatment.

The Braves had won the N.L. pennant two years running and had even toppled the legendary Yankees two years before. The pitching star of that Series was Lew Burdette, the rangy right-hander who may or may not have thrown a spitball, but made sure everyone thought he did. Harvey was up against Lew on May 26, 1959. That night Harvey was perfect, while Lew defined the notion of "good enough." The Pirates managed 12 singles and two walks, but the Braves turned two three times and erased a baserunner at third on an overaggressive play.

Harvey's perfect game continued into extra innings, but the Pirates couldn't score. Then, in the bottom of the 13th, Braves leadoff man Felix Mantilla reached base on an error. There was a sac bunt and a pitchout before Joel Adcock cracked one over right center. Because Adcock passed fellow Brave Hank Aaron on the bases, the three run jack was turned into a double. Nevertheless, it still scored the GW run, and Haddix's perfect masterpiece was over.

Thanks to Ender for the sig!

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:15 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Hm, so who wrote that for you?

I'm disappointed, and I'm an Indians fan... unfortunately.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:42 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Haha, I wrote that for myself.

Are you just an Indians fan because you live in Cleveland?

Thanks to Ender for the sig!

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]