It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Generation V wifi event speculation. 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know about you, but I've really enjoyed the latest series of wifi events they've been doing. Of late we've had, almost back to back Shiny Pichu, yellow forest, and winner's path... and before that, we had Jirachi and pichu in-store events!

Personally, I want this trend to continue. So, roughly, here are the kinds of wifi events we've already seen:
1. Key Items - so these unlock parts of the game. Which are kind of annoying, seeing how we don't all get the key items in stores (especially if you're late to the game like me), and it seems as if they still haven't released them all yet.
2. Pokemon w/ items - yeah!
3. Pokewalker Routes - yeah!
4? Items. I don't know if they've ever just gifted people everyday items, but it'd be kind of cool if they did.

I'd like them to continue this trend, focussing mainly on 2-4, but I wouldn't mind a few key items (although I prefer like the HG/SS item that is supposed to release the 2nd dragon/psychic - the one found only on the other game.). Yes, this means I want a new Pokewalker. Like crazy actually.

Personally, I'd also like to see them doing homage single release pokemon.

For example, there are plenty of old CCG Pokemon cards that had game-moves the pokemon didn't have. So why not release a Weedle w/ Scratch (and, presumably, shiny w/ a given nature or something)? Why not give us a "Team Rocket Pikachu" with thief, payday, volt tackle, and thunder holding a duskball or something? Effectively "everyday" pokemon that won't do much except sit there and be fricking awesome and collectable. Maybe even give us pokemon based off of the anime/manga character's pokemon - nicknames, OT, and moves straight from the source material.

Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i like the TCG card idea. and i also wish they would actually release some of the key items this gen (azure flute, anyone?). i didn't really like the pokewalker routes, however, as i don't have wifi (that's a personal beef; and let me clarify, i don't have compatible wifi). i don't really see how pokemon w/items should be really special... i'd say certain items are better, rather than having the poke hold it (unless it's a legendary that is affected by it, like arceus and the plates; they should release the ??? plate!!! even though it would probably glitch lol) i also like the manga version pokemon. but we'll probably just see more of the same.

Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
i like the TCG card idea. and i also wish they would actually release some of the key items this gen (azure flute, anyone?). i didn't really like the pokewalker routes, however, as i don't have wifi (that's a personal beef; and let me clarify, i don't have compatible wifi). i don't really see how pokemon w/items should be really special... i'd say certain items are better, rather than having the poke hold it (unless it's a legendary that is affected by it, like arceus and the plates; they should release the ??? plate!!! even though it would probably glitch lol) i also like the manga version pokemon. but we'll probably just see more of the same.

I LOVED the pokewalker routes - then again, I loved the pokewalker. I do think a next-gen pokewalker should have another "mini-game" to use w/ the watts, and should probably have more ballanced routes, item-wise, but still... and I'd love a "rare" guy who is at a high level on one of the first few routes - IE, someone you can return to your game that would be caught on your game, but 5-10 levels higher than your guy? :P

As for Wifi, I do think that Nintendo/Gamefreak should invest in permanent wifi/gift centers in certain stores that mirror online wifi gifts (although, arguably, one can has the OT "TRU", while the other the OT "GFWIFI" - atlhough if memory serves, it didn't let me DL a wifi pikachu on the game that I had gotten a Gamestop pikachu on... :().

At the end of the day, I'd be okay with more of the same... if we had MUCH MORE of the same. IE, I see no reason not to have an event a month, even if the event is only giving you a "roaming" pikachu holding a lightball, or giving you a random egg for you to hatch. The more online interactions, the better.

Fri May 28, 2010 8:13 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

yeah, the pokewalker was pretty cool, but i wasn't able to utilize it very well, and i think most players (not the average psypokian, as we tend to be more hardcore about pokemon than the average player) had the same problem. but it could work. unfortunately, i rather doubt it'll be coming back. but hey, who knows.
hmm, i think i mentioned something like the wifi gift stores on another thread... but i think most players wouldn't really use it again.
then the other issue with an event a month is the fact that those take time and effort to create/program/organize... can you imagine how many posters gamestop would have?? now, if they did a run (like, shiny dialga/palkia/giratina/arceus) all as part of a series of "collectibles" then that would be okay for one a month. but personally, i wouldn't much care if they did a generic event every month. it would get boring.
as far as what gen V will have, probably more of the same... event poke here, shiny there, shiny event blablabla.... just the same old $#!+ we've been getting....

Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
yeah, the pokewalker was pretty cool, but i wasn't able to utilize it very well, and i think most players (not the average psypokian, as we tend to be more hardcore about pokemon than the average player) had the same problem. but it could work. unfortunately, i rather doubt it'll be coming back. but hey, who knows.
hmm, i think i mentioned something like the wifi gift stores on another thread... but i think most players wouldn't really use it again.
then the other issue with an event a month is the fact that those take time and effort to create/program/organize... can you imagine how many posters gamestop would have?? now, if they did a run (like, shiny dialga/palkia/giratina/arceus) all as part of a series of "collectibles" then that would be okay for one a month. but personally, i wouldn't much care if they did a generic event every month. it would get boring.
as far as what gen V will have, probably more of the same... event poke here, shiny there, shiny event blablabla.... just the same old $#!+ we've been getting....

You're probably right, a "generic" event each month might get boring. But having A event each month, no stipulation on what it is, wouldn't necessarily be. The thing about clockwork is that it's predictable - my brother, who was into Generation III and IV when I was off doing other stuff, missed a lot of events because of lack of knowledge. But if there was an event each month, it would draw in more customers (in theory) to the store that hosted the "free wifi access" to DL events, and it would be predictable enough that players could find the time to go get their new events. Players would know when to check the wifi for new gifts, and wouldn't be disappointed. Indeed, if we didn't do posters/etc. for "minor" gifts (Look, it's a shiny Krabby... with an enigma berry... you awesome kids you!), but only for the big ones, it'd draw the same attention as the gifts do now... but would also reward a loyal fanbase.

As for Pokewalkers - initially, I thought it was dumb. Now I bring them everywhere. I mean, really, I've got both HG and SS, I'm gonna bring these things w/ me until I've unlocked both routes on both games. Of course, at this point it'll become annoying because there's no incentive to gain watts.

Maybe the solution - if they bring pokewalkers back - and I think they should - is to have a Pokewalker "watts spending" place, where you spend watts on (1) routes, (2) items, or even (3) pokemon [For X watts, buy a porygon!]. Maybe only one route would be available at a time, but instead of buying that route, you could save up for your level 30 porygon, or your "pass" to the EV training park (? - I imagine this would be an area in a big city where there would be 6 routes you could go in to EV train your guys, owing to the fact that all pokemon in the route yield 1 EV of a given type).

Fri May 28, 2010 9:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Id like them to just give us the key items this time, i like catching the pokemon, or pokemon that unlock events in the game, thats actually awesome, I like that, I thought the Arceus event in HG/SS was good. I really hope they do more shiny events. Shinies are really pretty and they are my favorites. I wanted the Azure flute, maybe they will decide to release it still i hope so.

Current Shiny Projects: {tepig} {eevee} {foongus}

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

you know, maybe we could have a "side-quest" related event, like the celebi one for hgss (though, less automatic). maybe it unlocks a whole separate side adventure where you need to fight such and such team again, only this time they're stronger. at the end, you can get a legendary pokemon or some other reward (shiny ball!!! turns caught pokemon shiny!!! like that's going to happen...).

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]