It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Fix for cloning 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Couldn't they add a kind of "serial number" to each pokemon you obtain and if any two serial numbers match then the game will freeze or something nicer than that if they choose?

If the serial is just numbers 0-9 and its 10 digits long, you could have 10,000,000,000 combinations. Pokemon obtained through trades have their serial reset for your sake.

They could keep it simple, and have your first pokemon (your starter) have its serial number as 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0. And then the second you obtain would be 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1

And of course this would be a hidden number.

Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

They really shouldn't fix cloning. Too much work for too little benifit.

I've had a pokemon legitimately cloned by accident over the GTS. It would completely suck ass if, through no fault of my own, my pokemon either (a) gets lost, or (b) gets duplicated and I can't use the GTS (without releasing my pokemon while taking the chance someone else gets it on the GTS). The middle ground is to allow GTS cloning.

That said, I can see "limited functionality" if an action replay has been used. For example, in the wifi room, it might say "Warning: This game has been compromised, you may only trade 1 pokemon per day" and on the other person's screen it might say "Warning: Your friend's game has been compromised. His pokemon might have been illegally hacked...".

But in no way should they make the game freeze up or be unusuable.

Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

it would be a good idea, but i think it should just add something to the trainer card that would tell others, "hey, this guy could have hacked pokes, watch out!!!" you know?? like, if anyone here has played spore, if you activate cheats, you get the joker badge that freezes your game. it can also be viewed online. different games, but same concept. tho for pokemon i would never make it freeze the game... too extreme if, like labarith, you accidentally clone. i'm sure it's happened to little kids. they would be traumatized ("no!!! gimme back my prized pokabu!!! ******" jkjk about that last, but you get the idea).

Tue May 25, 2010 1:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
it would be a good idea, but i think it should just add something to the trainer card that would tell others, "hey, this guy could have hacked pokes, watch out!!!" you know?? like, if anyone here has played spore, if you activate cheats, you get the joker badge that freezes your game. it can also be viewed online. different games, but same concept. tho for pokemon i would never make it freeze the game... too extreme if, like labarith, you accidentally clone. i'm sure it's happened to little kids. they would be traumatized ("no!!! gimme back my prized pokabu!!! ******" jkjk about that last, but you get the idea).

But no one looks at trainer cards...

I suppose limited functionality would suck, but there should be some sign I think.

Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Right I was mostly joking about freezing your game, but I do think the least they could do is if two pokemon with the same serial number are on one game pak, one would be automatically deleted next time you restart your game or something.

Now on the other hand, as far as cloning items, I think they need to make a way for you to purchase or obtain as many items as you'd like. I mean it can be difficult to obtain, but if there's only one TM of a certain move in the whole game, it would suck to spend it one pokemon that you never use again. So in short, as long as you can obtain an unlimited supply of TM's and evolution items, then I'm cool with removing cloning items as well.

Tue May 25, 2010 2:10 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I've got a better idea. I like the serial # idea.. but I'd make it hexadecimal to add more combinations.

Now, the way to deter it? Create a sort of anti-pokerus.. that when two serial #s match then it gives both pokemon a irreversable virus that makes it impossible for the pokemon to collect EVs. Sure you are allowed to clone, but you certainly won't be able to really battle competatively. Not only that, but it "marks" the pokemon for the GTS so that it can deny the pokemon.

Now, I don't even think that the serial # has to be all that elabrate.. because you could make it so that if two pokemon that have identical data are in the same party as each other, the pokerus-2 would be activated on both pokemon.

I agree though, cloning should be heavily deterred; however, that won't fix the problem with GTS cloning until the pokemon is returned to the game cart. Don't most people clone pokemon on the GTS, only to just trade them off?

The other option is to flag the trainercard for someone that drops out of wifi prior to the trade being "completed". Say something is put on the gamecard when the trade starts.. like a marker, then the trade goes down.. and after the game saves, the marker is removed. A warning sign could be put in that says, do not disconnect from wifi or game corruption will be done. A trainer with this mark on their card would not be allowed to access GTS, or the pokemon that they have will end up being deleted from the service if the marker isn't removed.

Tue May 25, 2010 3:48 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ajit wrote:

Now on the other hand, as far as cloning items, I think they need to make a way for you to purchase or obtain as many items as you'd like. I mean it can be difficult to obtain, but if there's only one TM of a certain move in the whole game, it would suck to spend it one pokemon that you never use again. So in short, as long as you can obtain an unlimited supply of TM's and evolution items, then I'm cool with removing cloning items as well.

I disagree on cloning items and rare availability. I too am annoyed by some stones and stuff being hard to get. However, I think they should do a better job of restricting them. They will always find a way for you to purchases these rare items in further supplimental games, pokewalkers, battle towers, Wii games, etc. Not to mention.. since there will be connectivity with the past generation, you can easily get old items brought into the game via pokemon.

Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@puck269: please try not to double post. there is an edit button.
@labarith: so?? not my problem. the mark would still be there. and where else would it go?? the only other logical place, as mentioned by others here, would be on the pokes themselves.
though, i dislike the anti-pokerus idea, as while it would deter hardcore gamers, some kids only care about having certain pokemon. plus, you could EV train then clone, and boom, problem solved. cloning items would be a definite plus (even though it's still cheating). but i think they should just make some more readily available, while others (like the master ball) should still be limited to only one. otherwise, it might make it too easy (the game, i mean). in this sense, i agree with puck.

Tue May 25, 2010 7:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah i didn't mean to indicate rarities like the masterball should be able to obtain in large numbers, but mainly TM's and evo stones/trade evo items

Tue May 25, 2010 7:24 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

in that case, i agree with you. but if we had more masterballs... nope. it'd be lame (this is just me ranting.)

Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1. I thought the masterball was the prize for the lottery. Boy was I VERY dissapointed it wasn't. Max Revive? PLEASE.
2. I'm okay with making SOME TMs more available, but let's face facts - 1 per game is pretty straightforward. Yeah, you WANT more Earthquakes (And now can apparently buy them for 80 fricking BP... talk about inflation), but that's why you breed, trade, and etc.
3. Rex, re: THe mark. It has to be someplace that people look. It really wouldn't be THAT hard to put a "warning" on the trade screen. We've all seen popups on the internet, something like this would do.

That said, I'm all in favor of a marketplace with different venders per day, or with different stock. For example, a Stone Vender who has between 1 and 3 stones per day, perhaps he adds 1 new stone each day. Maybe a TM crafter who will make your pokemon forget a TM-move and give you that move as a TM... once per week (otherwise Heartscale = TM on the right guys). I'd like a "hold item" dealer and even Incense dealer who sells you a random item of the appropriate kind each week. I'd be okay with something like the HG/SS lottery (changes TMS each day), but they need to make it possible to buy mutliple "tickets" at one time.

Speaking of shops, I'd sort of like to see an "egg store", which would be like a pet store but with pokemon eggs (thus they'd be caught on your game, and not traded). I imagine this shop would have weekly specials (random eggs from a limited selection) - perhaps each week they'd offer a "mystery egg" which could be from any of this limited selection, while normally they'd have a given stock of eggs, say up to 5 at a time you could buy, and you could only buy 1 of each kind per week. Maybe 1-2 would be seasonal (IE, maybe you can only buy Magby eggs during the summer...). Maybe they'd have an "egg donation" center, where you could drop off eggs you don't want to hatch anymore and they'd be uploaded to the GTS (maybe a limited information set like kind, moveset, gender, and the rest of the info - IVs - would be generated at random when it was Dled to the game by the GTS). This feature would be similar to the "adoption center" I proposed, but would be different insofar as you'd have a wider variety of predictable eggs, but they wouldn't count as being traded. Both places would need to charge you, of course, but I figure the adoption center would charge you by level, while the egg store would charge you by what the non-mystery egg is. I really like the idea of getting 1 random egg per week to hatch. I'd even like this more if it was wifi-linked so you could get a REAL random egg.

Similarly, I'd like to see 3 siblings (bug catcher, poke-maniac, and cool trainer) who show up the market each week with a random pokemon asking for a different random pokemon (from set subsets). Maybe their pokemon can learn special moves (at random?). This would give you something to do even after the game has ended. Indeed, I imagine the bug catcher guy would be the only source of 1-2 old bug pokemon (whether he'd offer them would be random though) that can't be found elsewhere in the game.

One final note: I do think that we ought to have a "battle Frontier" game for, say, the wii with lots of mini-games that offer prises and different way to train your pokemon. (THis ties into a "2nd team" concept, where you'd have a "mini-box" screen in your box collection that held 6 pokemon for an "alternate team" that would be uploaded to the wii like the pokewalker pokemon is uploaded to the pokewalker. Indeed, I imagine this screen would have "alternate team" and space for 6 pokemon, then "Pokewalker Pokemon" and space for one pokemon. You'd drag and drop pokemon from other boxes to these mini-boxes. Similarly, I can see a "Game Version 3" with radically different 1 per game items (and storyline?) such that you get increased variety of things that are tradable.

I do wonder if we could have game-exclusive for-sale TMs and items, but this is something for another topic.

Wed May 26, 2010 12:42 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

okay, yes, it does have to be somewhere it'll be seen, i'll grant that. but a pop-up is a little ostentatious, don't you think?? on the poke itself would work fine, as everyone does check stats and whatnot. oh, btw, I look at trainer cards, as i like to see what others have accomplished.
and i don't think the stores and stuff belong here... this is about cloning, so i think you should copy+paste that stuff into the "functions i'd like to see on b/w" or whatever thread.
on the subject of cloning it would be nice if there was like, a one-time dealie, like the masterball, that you could use. maybe sometime after the E4. and it can't be holding an item. plus, maybe the poke is lvl 1 or something.

Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
@puck269: please try not to double post. there is an edit button.
@labarith: so?? not my problem. the mark would still be there. and where else would it go?? the only other logical place, as mentioned by others here, would be on the pokes themselves.
though, i dislike the anti-pokerus idea, as while it would deter hardcore gamers, some kids only care about having certain pokemon. plus, you could EV train then clone, and boom, problem solved. cloning items would be a definite plus (even though it's still cheating). but i think they should just make some more readily available, while others (like the master ball) should still be limited to only one. otherwise, it might make it too easy (the game, i mean). in this sense, i agree with puck.

My bad, I realized I shouldn't of done that after posting the 2nd time.. =(

Yes, the anti-pokerus idea wouldn't solve the kids that care about collecting, but it would be a nice compromise to stop the Max IV, Max EV pokemon from being duplicated to infinity. I didn't mention it before because I thought it might be assumed, but when a pokemon is infected with the anti-pokerus, then pokemon's EVs would be wiped. Thus, all efforts to EV train before duplicating would not only be hazardous to the original pokemon.. but make such efforts pointless.

The main problem with duplication is not necessarily the availability (since it would be greatly reduced by the inability to put those pokemon on the GTS), but to avoid getting these pokemon in competative battling and keeping that arena free of cheaters.

Wed May 26, 2010 1:31 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

it's not a problem. don't worry about it.
even so, the anti-pkrs (just the short form) might be a little complicated to program. i mean, we/they have to take that into consideration (at least for now).
as far as competitive battling, i thought they already had a method for that?? idk what it might be, but i though it existed.

Wed May 26, 2010 1:52 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1. Rex: The store stuff is there because people were talking about in-game ways of getting multiple rare items. Aside from cloning.
2. The anti-pokerus thing is just trouble, as is marking the pokemon itself. You want to know when a GAME is compromised, not when someone got tricked into getting a bad pokemon, by GTS or wifi.

As for why people clone, I really don't see people cloning to get copies of their EV-trained guys that much. They clone legencdaries, events, and shinies - to trade to others.

I am worried about action replay people maxing out the Ivs of their pokemon, giving them the egg moves they didn't breed them with, etc. But this is generally covered the "action replay warning" - whether popup or not.

Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

@labarith: ah, i see now. but it's still not incredibly relevant if you devote 3/4 of your post to it...
the poke-marker makes sense, as puck269 mentioned, there may be competitions where you don't want to have clones (idk how/which, but it could happen). and the general warning doesn't tell which are the clones; it would just deter you from trading with that person, which seems a little severe for what may have been a complete accident (provided everyone follows the warning...) this would also make sense gts-wise. i agree with the legends/shinies part for the reason to cloning; it makes sense. or, you could trade really powerful pokemon to your buddies. who knows. action replay, there's really nothing we can do about, as it changes the actual coding of the game (which is why you can permanently glitch your game using it) and it would be simple to add a little line to every code that pretty much eliminates the warning. if you can add super-pokemon, you can add that small little deterrent.

Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
@labarith: ah, i see now. but it's still not incredibly relevant if you devote 3/4 of your post to it...
the poke-marker makes sense, as puck269 mentioned, there may be competitions where you don't want to have clones (idk how/which, but it could happen). and the general warning doesn't tell which are the clones; it would just deter you from trading with that person, which seems a little severe for what may have been a complete accident (provided everyone follows the warning...) this would also make sense gts-wise. i agree with the legends/shinies part for the reason to cloning; it makes sense. or, you could trade really powerful pokemon to your buddies. who knows. action replay, there's really nothing we can do about, as it changes the actual coding of the game (which is why you can permanently glitch your game using it) and it would be simple to add a little line to every code that pretty much eliminates the warning. if you can add super-pokemon, you can add that small little deterrent.

The marker I propose is for someone who used an action replay, which you can't do by accident.

Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

labarith wrote:
rex09 wrote:

The marker I propose is for someone who used an action replay, which you can't do by accident.

rex09 wrote:
action replay, there's really nothing we can do about, as it changes the actual coding of the game (which is why you can permanently glitch your game using it) and it would be simple to add a little line to every code that pretty much eliminates the warning. if you can add super-pokemon, you can add that small little deterrent.

kay? kay. i realize that it's quoted twice, but i actually stated why i don't think we could do anything about the action replay, which you have seemed to ignore. please read it all next time. and if you did, well, please clarify, as it seems as if you're just disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. and i realize you can't use an action replay on accident. i'm not retarded.

Wed May 26, 2010 7:07 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

rex09 wrote:
even so, the anti-pkrs (just the short form) might be a little complicated to program. i mean, we/they have to take that into consideration (at least for now).

Yes, it could be a lil complicated. But at the same time, the idea is just combining the original pkrs idea with that of trading friendship (Trading a pokemon resets the friendship value). As for figuring out how to mark a pokemon, yeah.. that might be a little bit complicated. If the game does a scan whenever a new pokemon is added to the game, via gts, or trading.. and see if it matches.. that wouldn't be much more complicated than what the Lottery # does when it searches all your pokemon for the trainer ID #.

As for the Action Replay, yeah.. there isn't much anyone can do about that thing.. However, if the game does a random scan to find pokemon that match and have them get hit w/ the anti-pkrs, that would deter the cloning, which we are discussing. As for making uber-pokemon via the device.. yeah, well good luck with that.

Wed May 26, 2010 8:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

haha maybe the fix for cloning in Isshu will be that they have a building/machine that allows for cloning, for an expensive price (whether pokedollars or something else).

And then you can clone items there too, but for a cheaper cost.

It is supposed to be a futuristic place anyways, right?

Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ajit wrote:
haha maybe the fix for cloning in Isshu will be that they have a building/machine that allows for cloning, for an expensive price (whether pokedollars or something else).

And then you can clone items there too, but for a cheaper cost.

It is supposed to be a futuristic place anyways, right?

yeah, but i think it would have a limited use, or you could just use ar to get around it by infinite money or something. if it was limited, then we wouldn't have "players" who walk around with 3,000 masterballs and 500 Sacred Ashes. If they do a cloning place, i hope it's limited. of course, it would be easier to just have the professor of the game do it for you as a reward for beating the champ or something... i think i mentioned that earlier, maybe they'll clone one poke and one item or something. or maybe they could make the pokemon a little similar, instead of a direct clone, with a different nature/gender or something. this idea has promise, i think....
@puck269: yeah, i guess any type of marker would be difficult to program. i didn't really think about that... sorry for being hypocritical. i like the lottery # comparison, it's a good point/idea. and the uber-pokes are out there!!! beware!!! lol, but really, you get my point.

Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]