It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New uses for old items? 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It bothers me that some of the old items (Fire Stone, Metal Coat, etc.) have no new uses despite the new pokemon. Now, yes, it's nice to be original, but I'd like to have these items still play some role in the new generation other than just being leftovers from the old generation.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see hold-items like Metal Coat, Magmizer, etc. to have effects besides being trade-items. Why can't Metal Coat boost anyone's defense slightly, and why can't Magmizer act like Charcoal, or give all fire moves an additional chance to burn or something?

One thing that would be cool is if they found novel new uses for old items, like leaf stone. Maybe leafstone is a fossil that can give you a special berry plant... maybe hearstones can evolve a certain new pokemon when traded... maybe there's a pokemon that evolves by using berries of a certain kind???

Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Like your ideas man, I think it would be tight if you could trade Onyx while he is holding a Metal Coat Nugget (you know those things that are worth 5000 poke dollars but don't do anything else) and then the Onyx would evolve into a golden looking Steelix that is Fire/Ground or something.

Thu May 06, 2010 3:11 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Ajit wrote:
Like your ideas man, I think it would be tight if you could trade Onyx while he is holding a Metal Coat Nugget (you know those things that are worth 5000 poke dollars but don't do anything else) and then the Onyx would evolve into a golden looking Steelix that is Fire/Ground or something.

Well... they should do things that couldn't have been done in previous generations. For example, maybe if you enter Onyx into a "Super Kamehameha Contest" holding the nugget, it'd evolve into a Goldyx. Or have a new pokemon trade-evolve w/ the nugget.

Thu May 06, 2010 3:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

right on, just throwin' out ideas

Thu May 06, 2010 3:29 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
@ labarith = Most of the items that evolve certain pokemon when traded does do something else besides that, Metal Coat boosts Steel Type attacks a bit for example...I agree though on the 4th Gen items like Magmarizer & I also agree that 5th Gen pokemon should bring back Evolution by the older stones like the Fire Stone, etc...

I would like some items to teach your pokemon a certain move like a Fire Stone teaches Heat Wave to a pokemon or something to this effect cause the move tutor thing can only go but so far seeing as they always wait so long in the adventure to introduce them...even the 4th Gen Evolution Stones...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Thu May 06, 2010 4:24 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

sorry, but i kind of disagree. magmarizers and steel coats and whatnot are all evolutionary items foremost in most people's minds, but as lawence_codye said, a lot of them do have other uses. what bugs me about them is they always (for the olde ones, at least) only give you one, then make it so that two pokemon evolve using it. always made it that much harder to complete the pokedex in some of the older games. but i'm digging the berry-evo idea. that would be cool. like, based off of what berry made it evolve, it could learn a certain move or gain a certain type.

Thu May 06, 2010 6:07 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
sorry, but i kind of disagree. magmarizers and steel coats and whatnot are all evolutionary items foremost in most people's minds, but as lawence_codye said, a lot of them do have other uses. what bugs me about them is they always (for the olde ones, at least) only give you one, then make it so that two pokemon evolve using it. always made it that much harder to complete the pokedex in some of the older games. but i'm digging the berry-evo idea. that would be cool. like, based off of what berry made it evolve, it could learn a certain move or gain a certain type.

I think it's fair to ask for ways to get mutltiple items like steel coat (It's a prize in the pokealthelon, FYI).
However, you'll note these items are also hold items on some wild pokemon. Personally I think "Thief" should become a more useful ability. I imagine a set of "team rocket" starters, and you get one when you join (to stop them of course), and the "basic" move all of them have, instead of tackle, is thief. Now you just need to run into a wild magmite with steelcoat and steal it!

One thing I really like about the underground is that you can get an unlimited number of certain items if you work for it. I'd like all caves/"dungeons" to have "excavatable" parts that you can use certain pokemon moves on and it will bring you to an underground-like mini-game. At that point, you just have to decide which games will have which "excavate" prizes/fossils/etc.

Berry-wise, I think it might be neat to have a pokemon that learns a move everytime it consumes a berry of a certain type (I hate the EV reducing berries, so I don't like the idea of it working with EVERY berry, but I can see it working with some berries). However the berry-move-learner would be different from the berry-evolver. Maybe we have a plant pokemon who evolves when she consumes a berry in battle, and then her pokemon power is "berry-spawn", after each battle she spawns a berry of the type she used when she evolved. Maybe make it limited to 5 or 6 berries, and have her have a different form for each kind of berry.

Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

fyi, sorry, i don't want to be rude, but in firered and leafgreen and maybe some games since you only get [b]1[b] of certain items (i.e., steel coat and king's rock). just to be sure.
okay, that's a little complex for berries... no berry moves, please. tho, i think there is one whose affect is based off whatever berry is being held, so that's enough. i liked the berry evolver because it was a simple, original idea. but it could only ever work for one pokemon; maybe with multiple paths like eevee, but never more than one first form. just my take on it.
yeah, i missed the underground on this one, which was frustrating but fun. rock smash is not my thing. more stuff like that would be great.
hmmm, new uses for old items... not thinking of anything new rite now. will edit if i do.

Fri May 07, 2010 1:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

rex09 wrote:
fyi, sorry, i don't want to be rude, but in firered and leafgreen and maybe some games since you only get [b]1[b] of certain items (i.e., steel coat and king's rock). just to be sure.
okay, that's a little complex for berries... no berry moves, please. tho, i think there is one whose affect is based off whatever berry is being held, so that's enough. i liked the berry evolver because it was a simple, original idea. but it could only ever work for one pokemon; maybe with multiple paths like eevee, but never more than one first form. just my take on it.
yeah, i missed the underground on this one, which was frustrating but fun. rock smash is not my thing. more stuff like that would be great.
hmmm, new uses for old items... not thinking of anything new rite now. will edit if i do.

Sometimes to collect them all you need to get more than 1 game. Or trade really hard. That said, I had a potential solution to this problem: A "Marketplace".

Roughly speaking, the marketplace would be like follows:
* Open only on weekends.
* Have several "shops" - the "Stones" shop, the "berries" shop, the "hold items" shop, etc. Each of these shops would have a random selection of items - perhaps 3 in total - and maybe you could only buy one each week? (Maybe you could buy all 3, but once bought they'd be sold-out... IE, 1 of each).
* A wifi shop - when you connect to the wifi during the week for mystery gift and/or GTS, the wifi shop downloads instructions on what to sell - they'll have between 1 and 3 specific items dictated by Nitendo on a weekly basis (if you don't wifi , the shop is empty).
* A "trade brothers" shop, with 3 brothers/sisters who want common pokemon and have common (unnamed) pokemon up for trade. These should be random, sometimes knowing bred moves, etc.
* An egg shop? Maybe they get a new pokemon egg in each week (determined???)

Anyways, this would make it such that most evolve items are available, just not available at short notice.
Regarding the berry-evolver, I figure it should be a pure-plant type that evolves into only one pokemon - but that pokemon's 2nd type should be different depending on the berry. Furthermore, it's ability should be "Berry Harvest", and it should produce berries of the kind it evolved with.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:27 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: I don't really know but the gps says to make a illegal u-turn I wonder if it's a bug type
I know it would be cool if they would have pokes evolve when exposed to a certain area at a certain time in a certain place example(leafstone viridian forest and 2:00 to 5:00 pm on the game)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]