It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Beating Clair 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

What pokemon would be an easy one to catch and train to use against Clair? I neglected to get an Ice type through out the game, and the only Dragon Moves I ever learned were Twister, which isnt very good, and Dragon Rage, which only does 40 HP damage, so, forum, which pokemon would be easy to capture and train and work against Clair in HeartGold?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:27 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
For one, the Ice Beam TM is available at the Goldenrod Game Corner, so if you've got 10,000 coins (I think thats what it costs) then just pray one of your pokemon can learn it. Oddly enough, there are quite a few water type pokemon that can learn Ice Beam, Poliwrath being one of my favorites. And if you need a water stone, the Bug Catching Contest will sometimes give them out.

I don't recommend going the Dratini route. Even though so many people love it and it's pretty much overused to the max, Dratini from a technical standpoint grows reallllly slowly. There are Ice types in the ice cave that you just came out of, who can be of help if you don't feel like training much. Swinub is an option, but I'm not going to recommend Delibird from personal opinion.

I hope this helps you!

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Unfortunately, I pretty much solo'd the whole game (up till now) with Graveler(he works great on everything! haha) =/ all my other pokemon are around level 30, while Graveler is at 45, so It looks Like Ill be doing some training! and how do you get Dragonair/Drantini before you beat clair?

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Soanevalcke6 wrote:
Unfortunately, I pretty much solo'd the whole game (up till now) with Graveler(he works great on everything! haha) =/ all my other pokemon are around level 30, while Graveler is at 45, so It looks Like Ill be doing some training! and how do you get Dragonair/Drantini before you beat clair?

poke walker
the beach feild but it a ass to catch

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:12 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
There's another way - Goldenrod Game Corner, how I got my Dratini. Or you could ask me to breed one for you, I'll do that as well :) I'd give it to you, I'm not asking for anything good in return. Zubat, Pidgey, Wurmple - anything in return is fine.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:17 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If you caught the Red Gyarados, or have any form of Gyarados. Just train it up so it can learn Ice Fang. That simple for good one to use against Clair. It learns Ice Fang at level 32.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:04 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
From my personal experience against Clair I didn't even need the Ice or Dragon Type or a move of it's type to beat her though there is Kingdra to factor in...other then that if you are on level when you do go face her then there should be no problem unless you're pokemon hate Fire/Dragon/Water moves...when factoring Kingdra in, I would recommend what shinashu taji said...Gyarados is easy to train to LV32...& it's a decent defense against all of Kingdra's attacks so...pick your remedy...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

[quote="Soanevalcke6"]i have a graveler/quote]

use the rest of the team to take down everything else, then have your graveler/golem explode or selfdestruct..

thats what i did to beat clair :)

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:18 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Personally, I beat her with a lv 34 Dunsparce and a 36 Snorlax. Dunsparce did most of the damage, while snorlax finished off the last half of Kingdra after he pooped out.

But you asked for easy.. yeah, got nothing there.. I tend to build my party up with all the gyms and the E4 in mind.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For beating Clair I just used my shiny Gyrados {gyrados} (lv. 50) It knew Avalanche ice beam dragon rage and rock smash (which i didnt use)
I BEAT HER IN LIKE 5 MINITUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:12 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Chiming in kind of late on this thread ... I've been killing a lot of time just wandering around. The good thing about all the wandering around before I got to Clair is that I had a party full of level 40+'s: Scyther (lv 44) took down her first one (Gyrardos) with one lemonaide and one hyper potion use using Slash, Dewgong (lv 43) easily knocked out Clair's next 2 (both Dragonairs, I think) with Blizzard and Ice Beam, switched to my Ampharos (lv 45) for the final battle against Kingdra using Thunderbolt and Discharge.

I'm one who mostly enjoys the adventuring and levelling up my critters, though I'll admit that I did spend some time levelling up these (and 3 others) to take on Clair after going through her first few minions. But the grassy patch outside of the Safari Zone and the very small grass patch on Rt 44 had some pretty good wilds for level grinding.

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Sat May 15, 2010 2:57 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I know you can't catch some of these ingame, but I used Swampert's Avalanche to beat her Dragonairs, Raichu to pwn her Gyrados, then Shedinja (not good competitively) to decimate her Kingdra. It had no moves that could hurt it, so I just spammed Shadow Claw and hit it repeatedly despite the many Smokescreens. LOL

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For Gyrados, it has a nasty 4x weakness to Electric types, so if you have one that knows a decently powerful Electric move, it will go down pretty easily.

For her Dragonairs, if you have a Water type Pokemon, teach them an Ice type move (preferably something powerful like Blizzard), and it will make things a lot easier. If you managed to get a Dratini at the Game Corner, in the Move Deleter/Relearner's house someone will teach it Draco Meteor, a very powerful Dragon type move. Has a nasty habit of halving it's Special Attack, so use it wisely.

For her Kingdra, I can't help you out too much. If you have a male Butterfree of a decent level (which I doubt), get it to Level 36 and it will learn Captivate, which halves the opponent's Special Attack. Although you can use it on any of her Pokemon, since they are all female, this is particularly invaluable against Kingdra. Draco Meteor is also very helpful here, since Dragon is Kingdra's only weakness.

I use commas a lot,

Sun May 16, 2010 10:58 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The main problem is that dragon moves are so rare in non dragons besides dratini/dragonair is weak to all of clairs attacks so it won't last too long.

Kangaskhan is fairly easy to obtain (Pokewalker) and it learns Outrage @ lvl 37 which is great for clair and lance of the elite four later on.
My Kangaskhan tore her team apart.

Another rare dragon move that can be found easliy is Dragon Breath
Onix and steelix learn it @ lvl 33
Steelix can be obtained it the wild in route 47s cliff cave but its exetremely rare so bring along a magnamite with magnet pull

The level 30 red gyarados knows twister but its weak
pidgey can also learn twister naturally

dragon pulse can be learned naturally by horsea @ lvl 42 but that a little high

But if you just need some high lvl pokemon to fight here what you should do
Deposit all your money to your mom (or spend it) and just keep on battling clair till you level up enough NOTE: This only works if you can defeat at least one of her pokemon

Also if you have done the arceus event yet its a great way to get an Uber dragon of shinoh early in the game.

PS Dragon rage maybe super effective but it still does fixed damage (40)

Mon May 17, 2010 12:40 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i had a dragonair from the game corner (evolved dratini) but unfortunately, it got knocked out early on due to low lvl and speed. i reccomend going the gyarados route, as since you probably got the red gyarados, which is already at lvl 30 if i'm not mistaken, you would only have to train/rare candy up two levels. otherwise, just go with the most powerful pokemon you can get, save for fire, rock, ground, and others weak to water (there's a gyarados and a kingdra, after all...). if it helps, train your team until u think ur ready. then, fight all the trainers in the gym, just to be sure. save in front of clair. if you can't beat her, then turn it off, back on, and go and train some more. pretty much my plan for anything: gym leaders (the first time, just to be sure), E4, champions......

Mon May 17, 2010 3:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

And maybe it's just me ... but isn't Clair just about the biggest, whiniest crybaby of an NPC in the game? I mean jeeze ... what a tantrum when you beat her ... and she's even worse after you talk to her father. Well, at least she does come around at the end. LOL

3DS FC (Y and X): 0834-1199-3647

See my photos and paintings on deviantArt at: http://barn0wl.deviantart.com/

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/grumpydispatcher

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/FlagBarnOwl

"FlagBarn0wl" Blog: http://flagbarnowl.blogspot.com/

Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Same deal with whitney but she comes around much quicker.

Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

BarnOwl wrote:
And maybe it's just me ... but isn't Clair just about the biggest, whiniest crybaby of an NPC in the game? I mean jeeze ... what a tantrum when you beat her ... and she's even worse after you talk to her father. Well, at least she does come around at the end. LOL

should have seen her in GSC.

i was 8 in '00 and i had no idea what to make of here.

hahaha- laturn is an amazing choice!

teach it stockpile, charge beam and blizzard (charge beam tm is by the light house in olvine on eastern side) (blizzard tm is like 5500 dollars at golden rod) (stockpile learned at 27 when chinchou evolves)

she will send out gyardous, use stockpile 3 times (thats the max) and you will have +3 def and +3 sp. def

heal as needed- may need to throw a healing item in there or not.

then use charge beam 3 or 4 times- you should get 3-4 sp. attack raises.

then use blizzard and charge beam at your digression and you should be fine.

yes im this pro. any question about movesets pokemon or stratagy pm. i know everything :P

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]