It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Beating Lance 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Does anyone know a good strategy for lance? I can beat the elite four but lance runs right through me. I'm currently using an Onix and Gyarados with ice fang to beat him. I haven't tried with onix yet, but does anyone know any good startegies to beat him?

EDIT:Got to post my team

Gyarados LV44

Surf
hydro pump
dragon rage
Ice Fang

Typlosian LV47
Swift
Flamethrower
Lava Pulme
Blast Burn

Ho oh LV50

Fly
Sunny Day
Sacred Fire
Punishment

Onix LV 37

Rock Tomb
Dragonbreath
Sandstorm
Slam

Politoed LV 35

Waterfall
Bubblebeam
Rain Dance
Strength

Dritini LV 19

Dragon Pulse
Dragon Rage
Thunder Wave
Leer

Shines: HeartGold: Gyarados, Fearow
Platinum: Geodude
Diamond: Machamp, Duskinour

Last edited by DratiniKing on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:10 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: In my Secret Base at Route 116- come and find me! :P
What level are your pokemon? Do you have max revives? What is your entire team? Attacks?

Without vital information like that, it's hard to make a strategy... please post more information :)

Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:14 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

For items, I have a couple full restores, one or two max revies, and like 5 revies. Those are just some of them. I can buy more though.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Umm...yeah, no wonder he's crushing you, his Gyarados almost crushed my whole team & they were all at least at the level your Ho-oh is currently at...&...I would suggest having your pokemon at least at LV50 to be able to handle Lance with this party as Outrage Dragonite & Gyarados in General is a pain here without those LV Ups...other then that you should do well, just make sure to buy the following for the Elite 4;

10 Full Restore
10 Max Potion or Hyper Potion
10 Full Heal
10 Revive
Your Max Revive collection

During the Lance fight don't be shy when it comes to using your Max Revives as they are reobtainable & there specifically for this kind of problem if you need them...& as for team adjustments, just put some kind of type variety in there or of course you can't beat the Dragon Type without some attacks besides normal ones that do normal to Super Effective damage on them & is able to take their damage hince the training you need to do...

Dragon/Flying hate the following attacks;
Ice X4
Rock X2
Dragon X2

Flying also makes his Dragon Types lose their resistance to Electric attacks...& Do not use an attack that Type registers as Fire/Water/Grass/Fighting/Ground(duh!)/Bug...unless you know it will take them out...Normal attacks shouldn't be used unless you can take them out with the hit & or if your current pokemon can take the pokemon on you are attacking defensively...I hope this helped at least a little...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:55 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

You should first raise all levels to be around the same; having some guys below level 45 probably won't work.

Change Waterfall for Surf in Gyarados, and Surf for Waterfall in Politoed, Waterfall is Physical which fits Gyarados, while Surf is Special which fits Politoed. You might want to get rid of Hydro Pump as well on Gyarados, it's a great move, but you'd already have Waterfall for a Water move.

Get rid of Strength on Politoed as well, give that to Onyx instead of Slam. Slam has less accuracy and the same damage, only bonus is the PP, but 5 PP for 25% more accuracy is worth it, in my opinion.

Typhlosion has way too many Fire attacks, it should be either Flamethrower or Lava Plume with Blast Burn, but only if you really want Blast Burn. The damage might be nice, but the recharge basically cuts the damage in half, but it might be useful if you use it on a really strong pokemon to get rid of it once and for all, or if you have low HP.

Ho-oh's Defense stat tends to be pretty bad, which is really bad since Rock type is x4 against it, so teaching it Reflect instead of Sunny Day or Punishment might be nice if you want to. Steel Wing is a pretty solid move that could help out as well.

If you take out Hyrdo Pump to Gyarados, giving a damaging Dragon move should be helpful, or Earthquake if you figure you already have Ice Fang to destroy the Dragon types.

Politoed could use Hyper Voice instead of Strength, it's a good move, and it's Special, with higher damage.

Typhlosion with Thunder, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, Hidden Power (depends on what type it is), or Endure/Protect would be a bit nicer with 2 Fire type moves and Swift instead of 3 Fire type moves and Swift.

The Dratini is obviously not ready yet, but remember it's a Physical attacker, not Special, so Dragon Pulse doesn't fit it.

You obviously don't have to take my advice, but most of the things I said about the HMs I advise you to do, if you fit the Special moves with pokemon specialized in Attack, the moves won't be strong, while if you give a Physical move to the same pokemon, it should be a lot stronger.

Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

level up man

i whooped him first try but then my pokemon were level 87 and higher

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

kayleak wrote:
You should first raise all levels to be around the same; having some guys below level 45 probably won't work.

My team after I beat Lance was

{meganium} level 41
{crobat} level 35
{espeon} level 40
{jynx} level 40
{heracross} level 37
{lanturn} level 45

so leveling up that high isn't necessary. I'd say you should be around level 40, give or take a few levels. Lance whooped on all of my Pokemon except Lanturn, who could survive Outrage and Dragon Rush, and I relied on Hyper Potions + Dragon Rush's bad accuracy to beat him.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

all i used was flamethrower and fly, swift once in a while
4 or 5 hyper potions and a leppa berry
and beat lance first try red too

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I am training a pineco into a forretress. I figure that can replace Dratini.I could kill Gyarados with my own Gyarados but his aradactyl killed everything

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DratiniKing wrote:
I am training a pineco into a forretress. I figure that can replace Dratini.I could kill Gyarados with my own Gyarados but his aradactyl killed everything

i so hated that dang dino used up almost all my flys and most my hyper potions taking it down

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:49 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Krisp wrote:
so leveling up that high isn't necessary. I'd say you should be around level 40, give or take a few levels. Lance whooped on all of my Pokemon except Lanturn, who could survive Outrage and Dragon Rush, and I relied on Hyper Potions + Dragon Rush's bad accuracy to beat him.

Yeah...I just leveled up due to the party I had in order to not be overpowered by I think Clair...& I used almost my whole stash of Items fending off Aerodactyl & Gyarados & then Outrage Dragonite...Dragon Rush Dragonite was not a threat as I had Vaporeon for it & Aerodactyl...his team becomes hell though after the first fight...stupid rematch Elite 4 & Champion...

DratiniKing wrote:

Good idea I guess...but just be aware as to how strong Aerodactyl actually is when making adjustments for it...btw, I used to use my one Sacred Ash right before I fought him in Gold & Crystal Versions so that I saved up on my items stash which I needed to beat him then but not like in Soul Silver...meh...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

remember the physical/special defense split too.

lances team (except for charizard)
is mainly physical..

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

But he doesnt really have a pokemon who could even contend with lance besides {gyarados}. you might have to switch out {onix} and {poiltoed} with stronger pokemon or lv. up but your team is kinda akward. You shouldnt be facing the elite 4 with lv.19 and lv.30's at least 40. hope you breaktrough and beat him.

Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:32 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I trained a lapras until it learned ice beam. Also all of my pokemon were at least level forty. And be sure to utilize each pokemon's strongest stats. Don't teach surf to gyarados, for example, teach it waterfall. In one vs. one it's basically a physical surf. Which is good. If you're really having a hard time utilizing both gyarados and lapras to beat him, look at the rest of your team. Which are you underutilizing? Get rid of it. Which seems to be in tons of battles? You have to keep healing? Get another one like it. If your politoed is being used a lot, get another water pokemon and teach it surf and whatnot. And if a pokemon isn't at a level where you would use it it's not worth bringing. Case in point? Dratini. You should either train it up or get rid of it and train up something you would use.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

is he really that hard to beat

wait to the second and third time around
level 73 Salamence is pain in the butt
took it out with a level 95 Typhlosion
it wouldn't go down with out a fight

Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

lol lv60+ Feraligatr with Waterfall,Return and Ice fang wiped him first round, though I had to switch to remove gyara's intimidate.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

MasterChef wrote:
lol lv60+ Feraligatr with Waterfall,Return and Ice fang wiped him first round, though I had to switch to remove gyara's intimidate.

Oh wow, another good reason to pick Totodile as your starter of choice above...they should have gave you more exp throughout the story so that you could actually stand a chance against him without having to make all these adjustments considering his team gets a revamp come the 2nd encounter with him...Salamence ended my day when I was seeing if the Elite 4 got a rematch rooster this time around...

Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well...All of my Pokemon were lv. 45 before challenging the Elite Four... Lets see... I had Amphros take out gyrados OHKO....
Then using at least 8 hyper potions a few revives and luck...My golem (a Monster of a Pokemon) took the rest of his team...
(sorry about spelling)
So train onix and maybe you'll have a chance

Last edited by GoldenArbok on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

& to make matters better, Onix's attack is almost on par with Graveler so...a trained Onix would be almost as effective as GoldenArbok's Golem was...which is good...

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I found the elite four pretty easy, but Lance is steamrolling me. I can kill his Gyarados fairly easily, but once I do he sends out his level 50 Dragonite which uses Outrage, instantly killing everything on my team (except Skarmory, he uses Fire Blast to instantly kill that.)

So the question is not "what strategy to use" but rather "who decided this would be a good idea, and how exactly do I go about forcing them to pick up shards of broken glass with their eyelids?"

My team is:
Ninetales
-Extrasensory
-Flamethrower
-Will'O'Wisp
-Confuse Ray

Vaporeon
-Aurora Beam
-Blizzard (you can see why)
-Surf
-Something Else

Skarmory
-Fly
-Spikes
-Steel Wing
-Something Else

Ampharos
-Discharge
-Signal Beam
-Thunder Wave
-Fire Punch (Replacing with Power Gem if I ever get past this ridiculous battle)

Haunter
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Punch (replacing with Dark Pulse if I ever get past this ridiculous battle)

Lugia
-Aeroblast
-Extrasensory
-The rest of the default moveset I dunno Hydro Pump or something I guess

Does Lance eat half your money if you lose? I have 180624 pokébucks and I'd rather not lose a large chunk of that.
Edit Edit: He only took about 5000 pokécurrencyunits, so I bought a bunch of Revives and Hyper Potions, and now I'm gonna grind out a few levels in Victory Road and try again.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:57 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Lol, on HG I took out gyrados quickly with a single thunder from my ampharos, and my vaporeon's ice type moves and high hp(With a few potions and revives of course) took out the rest. SS with my full dark team was a bit messier though.

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:36 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Enigmers wrote:
I found the elite four pretty easy, but Lance is steamrolling me. I can kill his Gyarados fairly easily, but once I do he sends out his level 50 Dragonite which uses Outrage, instantly killing everything on my team (except Skarmory, he uses Fire Blast to instantly kill that.)

So the question is not "what strategy to use" but rather "who decided this would be a good idea, and how exactly do I go about forcing them to pick up shards of broken glass with their eyelids?"

My team is:
Ninetales
-Extrasensory
-Flamethrower
-Will'O'Wisp
-Confuse Ray

Vaporeon
-Aurora Beam
-Blizzard (you can see why)
-Surf
-Something Else

Skarmory
-Fly
-Spikes
-Steel Wing
-Something Else

Ampharos
-Discharge
-Signal Beam
-Thunder Wave
-Fire Punch (Replacing with Power Gem if I ever get past this ridiculous battle)

Haunter
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Punch (replacing with Dark Pulse if I ever get past this ridiculous battle)

Lugia
-Aeroblast
-Extrasensory
-The rest of the default moveset I dunno Hydro Pump or something I guess

Does Lance eat half your money if you lose? I have 180624 pokébucks and I'd rather not lose a large chunk of that.
Edit Edit: He only took about 5000 pokécurrencyunits, so I bought a bunch of Revives and Hyper Potions, and now I'm gonna grind out a few levels in Victory Road and try again.

Don't give Dark Pulse to a Haunter that already knows Shadow Ball. Dark and Ghost moves are good against the same types, and the moves both have the same power and accuracy, and Shadow Ball is the STAB move, so giving Haunter Dark Pulse is just wasting a slot.

Your team looks good though, really depends on the levels of your Pokemon. What levels are they?

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The Team I used to beat the league is as follows

Raikou Lv44
~ Strength
~ Crunch
~ Quick Attack
~ Thunderbolt

Umbreon Lv40
~ Shadow Ball
~ Payback
~ Faint Attack
~ Quick Attack

Typhlosion Lv42
~ Flamethrower
~ Brick Break
~ Swift
~ Lava Plume

Ampharos Lv42
~ Signal Beam
~ Iron Tail
~ Discharge
~ Thunder Wave

Gyarados Lv36
~ Dragon Rage
~ Surf
~ Waterfall
~ Ice Fang

Lugia Lv49
~ Extrasensory
~ Ice Beam
~ Fly
~ Aeroblast

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: A blue police box somewhere near the Medusa Cascade
This was my HG team (all Lv 45)

Feraligatr
Surf (transport)
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Crunch

Espeon
Psybeam
Return
Swift
Shadow Ball

Ampharos
Discharge
Thunder Wave
Signal Beam
Headbutt (now Focus Blast)

Growlithe (yes, I didn't evolve it)
Flamethrower
Fire Fang
Reversal
Crunch

Donphan
Rock Tomb
Earthquake
Assurance
Headbutt

Lapras -- I doubled up on Water types and made sure I had Lapras JUST because of Lance.
Surf
Ice Beam
Ice Shard for revenge kills
Perish song for guaranteed kills

Here's how it went:

Ampharos v Gyarados, Amphy gets flinched the first turn but gets off a Discharge second turn and KOs Gyarados.

Feraligatr vs Outrage Dragonite: Gatr hits with Ice Fang, puts it in the yellow, survives one turn of Outrage and KOs it next turn.

Lapras vs both Lv 48 Dragonites: Ice Beam = OHKO

Donphan vs Aerodactyl: You're probably wondering why. There was -nothing- that Aero could do to severely dent my Donphan, so I used the time to heal up Gatr and Lapras, let Donphan do some damage, then sent Gatr in to finish it off once Donphan fell.

Lapras vs Charizard: Air Slash flinched Lapras in first turn, but I got off Perish Song... and then Surf critted and wiped out Charizard.

So yes... Donphan saved me on that Aerodactyl, but Lapras was MVP. Highly recommend getting one.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I basically just had Lanturn and Mamoswine rampage through his whole team with Water, Electric, and Ice madness.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next