It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Completely serious question about the Pokewalker 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

A friend of mine recently asked me how essential to the Pokemon HG/SS experience the Pokewalker is..... because he is purchasing it for a child in a wheelchair.

Since the game doesn't come out here until this Friday, and given the seriousness of making a kid who can't walk feel worse; I was just wondering if someone could please explain what functionality you miss out on if you can't use the Pokewalker.

Assuming that he won't be willing to duck-tape it to his wheels and spin them....

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

The Pokewalker can be used to train Pokemon by collecting energy from walking, and it can also let you get Pokemon who don't normally appear until Kanto as well as extra items like TMs and evolution stones. It's a completely optional device in terms of finishing the game.

I have heard that it's really easy to "cheat" with the Pokewalker, though, and do things like shake it with your hands, attach it to a pet or stick it on top of a washing machine to generate watts.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I can sympathise with this kid since I was wheelchair bound myself for quite some time as a kid. I'm fairly certain that they'd be able to use the pokewalker by attatching the belt strap to a wheel spoke, there are ways to achieve results with the pokewalker other than walking. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to use / enjoy the pokewalker.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:27 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I know that it doesn't register rotational force like on a wheel, I did try it with the bike spokes and no luck however I clipped the pokewalker to one of those spoke clappers that are for little kids(you know to make your bike sound like a motorcycle) and it did register, this is is because it only registers alternating up and down movements.
As far as importance goes I'd say its useful but not nessary.

But It does register motion like bumps in the road if you are in a vehical.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:56 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
This sounds dangerous but maybe put it on the metal things that are attached to the center & inner edge of the wheel...but put it where the front of it will go up & down & it should be simular to waving it in an up & down motion when the wheel turns multiple times thus registering steps...I only wish I knew what the part of the wheel is actually called then I could just say that instead of just the "Metal Things"...they look like pencil lead...but not as dark colored...they are part of the silver part of the wheel...I don't know...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lawence Codye wrote:
This sounds dangerous but maybe put it on the metal things that are attached to the center & inner edge of the wheel...but put it where the front of it will go up & down & it should be simular to waving it in an up & down motion when the wheel turns multiple times thus registering steps...I only wish I knew what the part of the wheel is actually called then I could just say that instead of just the "Metal Things"...they look like pencil lead...but not as dark colored...they are part of the silver part of the wheel...I don't know...
the spokes?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:56 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ryder wrote:
Lawence Codye wrote:
the spokes?

If that's right thanks...if not, thanks...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:44 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

are you talking about these? and yes, this is a wheelchair wheel.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:14 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ryder wrote:
are you talking about these? and yes, this is a wheelchair wheel.

Why yes, yes I am talking about those things coming from the center of the wheel in the picture...

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

those are spokes.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:15 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Ryder wrote:
those are spokes.

Ok...gotcha...

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:15 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Where Chandelure stores the souls it burns for fuel! Mwahahahaha
PkmnMaster01 wrote:
I can sympathise with this kid since I was wheelchair bound myself for quite some time as a kid. I'm fairly certain that they'd be able to use the pokewalker by attatching the belt strap to a wheel spoke, there are ways to achieve results with the pokewalker other than walking. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to use / enjoy the pokewalker.

That's not exactly the smartest thing to do.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

this kid could always shake the pokewalker in his hand, couldn't he? i mean, thats what a lot of people who AREN'T in wheelchairs do.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:25 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Where Chandelure stores the souls it burns for fuel! Mwahahahaha
Ryder wrote:
this kid could always shake the pokewalker in his hand, couldn't he? i mean, thats what a lot of people who AREN'T in wheelchairs do.

Good point. I think the pokewalker is already a cheating device in the first place.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:43 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Hoe exactly does the pokewalker work??

i know you can get a spirit tomb on one of the routes but i have no idea how to use it...

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

its a pokemon pedometer, of sorts. you transfer a pokemon to it from the DS, pick an available route, and then walk/shake it to your hearts content. every twenty 'steps' you get one watt. with three watts you can use the dowsing machine to search for an item, and at ten watts you can search for a pokemon. also, you can chooses not to spend your watts on the available pokemon/items in a route and simply collect the watts, and when you transfer the pokemon back to the DS it also transfers any watts you have, along with pokemon and items if you chose to get the, back to the DS. these collected watts can unlock more routes, and so can events and some event pokemon such as the jirachi event pokemon that came out a while back. and coming up is a wi-fi event where you can obtain the yellow forest route where you can catch rare flying and surfing pikachus. any more questions? i hope this helped.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

you can just shake the crap out of it

its good for catching junk pokemon used to trade from a extra copy of a game you have

i have caught many pokemon on it dratini vobelt
when you catch more then three and then release one
then put back your pokemon the released one will sometimes join you just to join you so you get an extra pokemon for free

i unlocked all the way to hoenn field

Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Lord_vegeta wrote:
when you catch more then three and then release one
then put back your pokemon the released one will sometimes join you just to join you so you get an extra pokemon for free

Well...even if you don't release a pokemon you caught one will join you if you don't have a pokemon currently taking a stroll on the course...

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]