It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Gen. V starters. 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

i have heard rumors that the three starters for generation V will FINALLY differ from you basic fire, grass, water types. what i have heard is that the starters would be something like dark, psychic, and fighting. i would love it if they did differ from the original, it is starting to get really old. and i like the idea of useing these three as starters. what do you think

Only during the [color=#FFFF00]day[/color] can you truly hide in the [color=#000000]shadows[/color]
help my pokefarm
[url=http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDZTvDZO5GJmm][img]http://pokefarm.org/_ext/BDZTvDZO5GZs1GROzGQmm[/img][/url]
member of the nuzlock challenge

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:21 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

The starters will never be Dark, Psychic and Fighting unless those are secondary types to the standard three. Dark, Psychic and Fighting isn't a balanced triangle because of Dark's immunity, and it's also not intuitive in the slightest for newcomers in the way that the Grass, Fire and Water triangle is easy to grasp. The Grass/Fire/Water triangle is probably one of the things of the Pokemon series that will NEVER change, and I can't say that bothers me at all.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:09 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Remember these guys? That rumor existed last generation, too. It's not going to happen.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't know why they would change something that basic...

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

you have a point about the not so intuitve as fire water and grass, i just would like to ssee some difference somewhere, its always the same three. even if it was something almost as intuitve like lightning, rock or ground, and water, just SOMETHING different. the only two differences i have seen is pikachu in yellow and the eevee in XD.

Only during the [color=#FFFF00]day[/color] can you truly hide in the [color=#000000]shadows[/color]
help my pokefarm
[url=http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDZTvDZO5GJmm][img]http://pokefarm.org/_ext/BDZTvDZO5GZs1GROzGQmm[/img][/url]
member of the nuzlock challenge

Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Starters should be: Abra, Magikarp, and Feebas. No THAT would be interesting!

Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I don't think there should be any stater with a clear cut advantage in the game's beginning. Let's face it; one of the Starters can always maul the first few Gyms: Bulbasaur kills Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge sorta, and eventually Giovanni; Cyndaquil makes Bugsy, Jasmine, and Pryce quiver; etc. One can argue that these advantages balance out eventually and the other starters rape the latter gym leaders, but by that time the person with the "good" starter already has Pokemon to make up for any shortcomings. I guess it isn't so bad for novie players, but I hate it when I'm stuck at Gym 2 and my friend is already at the Elite Four because I picked the "wrong" starter (hypothetical example). Know what I'm sayin', kids?

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ender wrote:
Starters should be: Abra, Magikarp, and Feebas. No THAT would be interesting!

Only if as you progress through the game, you have sidequests where you can win pokeblocks/poffins/etc so you can evolve the feebas o_O your rival will MURDER you in the first battle with him if you choose feebas. or abra. unless abra know hidden power and feebas and magikarp also know an additional move? bubble perhaps?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Highly doubt that they would change the starters' type.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

sepheroth wrote:
Highly doubt that they would change the starters' type.
yeah. but perhaps they will switch up the secondary types, if, that is, they have secondary types. like a fire/poison pokemon water/bug pokemon grass/dark pokemon. all of these secondary types arent the most popular ones, so if they were added as secondary types maybe ppl would use them more?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Espeonage9523 wrote:
i have heard rumors that the three starters for generation V will FINALLY differ from you basic fire, grass, water types. what i have heard is that the starters would be something like dark, psychic, and fighting. i would love it if they did differ from the original, it is starting to get really old. and i like the idea of useing these three as starters. what do you think

whatever you are smoking i want some too

Seriously, thats like taking christ outta christianity...

it wont happen

I post AoE 3 on YouTube. Look up BigThunderMan.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:38 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

It would be awesome if there were more than one of each type. For example, a fire/flying combo, a fire/psychic combo, and a pure fire for just the fire starters. However, the probability is very low for that, as it would be impossible to get the rest of them, and I'm not sure the people at Nintendo have the time to do it.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:34 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

fire/electric water/fighting grass/psychic perhaps?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I hate you guys. YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T CHANGE TRADITION. Also you nut jobs out there saying there can be dark, psychic, and fighting starters, that's impossible Because of Dark's immunity to psychic.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Drapiøn wrote:
It would be awesome if there were more than one of each type. For example, a fire/flying combo, a fire/psychic combo, and a pure fire for just the fire starters. However, the probability is very low for that, as it would be impossible to get the rest of them, and I'm not sure the people at Nintendo have the time to do it.

Drapiøn wrote:
For example, a fire/flying combo, a fire/psychic combo, and a pure fire for just the fire starters.

Drapiøn wrote:
a fire/flying combo

Drapiøn wrote:
fire/flying

**Charizard moves away from the mic to breathe in

Anyway.

They're probably going to give the starters secondary types again. *barf in my mouf* And they're probably going to be REALLY friggin' obscure. Especially if they come out with new types again. Like... Rubber. *shudder* Disaster. But with any starter, there's always a way to compensate with the pokemon avaliable around you. Except if you need a fire Pokemon in RSE... Friggin' Numel. Except 90% of everyone who is everyone chose Torchic.

Pokemanz needs to step up their game on starters. I'm sure they'll be decent though... Even though they're chugging out games like they've never before.

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Last edited by LeoTheLion on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Okay so let's get one thing straight...they will NEVER change the starter types. One, because the form is so basic. Fire, Water, and Grass and the most basic elements for a newcomer to understand. I remember when I first started playing I never would have understood the connection between say; Bug, Psychic and Dark. (Even though dark didn't exist when I started playing but that's besides the point) Two, no other triangle would ever work as well with each other. The fact of each type dominating gyms early in the game {Bulbasaur > Brock, Misty, Surge etc..} gives the game a subtle type of Easy, Medium, and Hard setting. POkemon would never change up the starting line-up. It would just contradict too much in the gameplay~ Also, would defeat the purpose for having Hydro Cannon, Plant Frenzy, and Blast Blaze.

Now that that's finished...it would be fun though to get a bit unorthodox ;)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Saint_Jimmy wrote:
Blast Blaze
uh.........blast burn, you mean?
anyways.
Ryanh181 wrote:
I hate you guys. YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T CHANGE TRADITION. Also you nut jobs out there saying there can be dark, psychic, and fighting starters, that's impossible Because of Dark's immunity to psychic.
yay, im hated. :D anyways, ryan, dontcha think if they made the sub-types dark, psychic, and fighting, they would make it water/dark grass/fighting and fire/psychic, so the triangle would still be complete? no matter what you chose, your rival would have the upper hand. like always. the dark, psychic thing wouldnt matter as much. plus, the fire water grass type moves your pokemon know would still be able to hit. along with many other types of moves. i dont really get your logic. it would be quirky, perhaps, but it WOULD work. and people keep saying game freak needs to try something new. ;)

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 am
THE POWER IS ON!

LeoTheLion wrote:
Except 90% of everyone who is everyone chose Torchic.

lol wut? Mudkip was by far the most popular RSE Starter, and it also kicked the Gym Leaders' asses in comparison to the other two.

And, no, even if they all had second types, the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle wouldn't work because of the immunity. Grass/Flying, Fire/Fighting, Water/Rock has two sets of triangles that are equal, but there's so many problems there (e.g. it'd be our third set of Fire/Fighting starters, the Water/Rock Pokemon is super-screwed against Grass, and multiples families of Pokemon that have all three of these types already exist) that it wouldn't even be worth trying.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

yeah. i chose mudkip. torchic evolves into a giant fighting chicken. not exactly my idea of 'epic awesomeness'

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Ryder wrote:
yeah. i chose mudkip. torchic evolves into a giant fighting chicken. not exactly my idea of 'epic awesomeness'

Hey!...wow, woah what was that...kidding...just kidding...

Frost wrote:
And, no, even if they all had second types, the Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle wouldn't work because of the immunity. Grass/Flying, Fire/Fighting, Water/Rock has two sets of triangles that are equal, but there's so many problems there (e.g. it'd be our third set of Fire/Fighting starters, the Water/Rock Pokemon is super-screwed against Grass, and multiples families of Pokemon that have all three of these types already exist) that it wouldn't even be worth trying.

So are we or are we not okay on throwing away the idea of secondary types being Dark/Psychic/Fighting?...oh & I agree, no more Water/Rock & definetely no more Fire/Fighting type combos as the Water/Rock combo sucks bad...& the Fire/Fighting combo is painfully overused in the case of starters...& on top of that I don't want this anymore;

Infernape > Empoleon = Why Game Freak, Why!!??!!

I perfer something along the lines of;

Fire = Fire/Electric or Fire/Rock or just Fire/---
Water = Water/Fighting or Water/Ice or just Water/---
Grass = Grass/Bug or Grass/Steel or Grass/Flying or just Grass/---

Something like this...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:51 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Also, If you can have Dark, Fighting and Psychic, You can have Water, Ground and Electric. It works, but Ground is Immune to electric.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

They could follow what they did with Gen IV, where one starter can do x1 damage instead of x.5.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Ryder wrote:
Saint_Jimmy wrote:
Blast Blaze
uh.........blast burn, you mean?

yeah...sorry about that >.<

but anyway, I'm not gonna lie...if they make the starters rediculous I'm just not gonna use them again. I think they're just trying to hard anymore with the secondary types. I know the ones from IV were new...but just rediculous aside from Infernape. The other two were just wierd.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000277476380 Let's be friends?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

They've had secondary types since Gen I. Fire/Flying and Grass/Poison. : D I think they should go back to Grass/Poison. It made things more interesting. But to keep simplicity, they should stop putting in the obscure secondary types like in IV. It makes for an easier team build. As long as there are Pokemon along the way to give more types. Eh I can't talk good. Okay, for example, in HG I chose Chikorita and was easily able to make up for the lack of Fire/Water with Arcanine and Slowpoke/Gyarados. As long as Gen V has that kind of versatility, I'm alright.

~A haiku

I disable smilies because I do not smile.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Saint_Jimmy wrote:
I know the ones from IV were new...but just rediculous aside from Infernape. The other two were just wierd.
eh.....i agree with you bout empoleon. i think it should have been water/ice type. but that would have given an unfair advantaged towards people who chose piplup, eventually it could mop the floor with both infernape and torterra. but i think torterra's types made a lot of sense. grass/ground. you know, grass kinda goes with the ground? just a lil? lol.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next