It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 A question of Smeargle 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: Definately not dimension 12. No, you don't know about that one yet.
So, I'm fairly certain that this is where this should go, but I'm not 100% certain, so feel free to move this if necessary.

I've decided to use a Smeargle as my "catcher" Pokemon, and I already know what moveset and item to give it, but I'm not sure on Nature (I may do EVs, but since this is technically an in-game Smeargle I may not bother).

Here's the moveset and Natures I'm considering:

{smeargle} Smeargle
Adamant/Impish/Careful @ Expert Belt
Technician
Moveset:
-False Swipe
-Foresight/Thunder Wave
-Mean Look
-Spore

Very basic Smeargle. Mean Look for runners, Spore to put to sleep, False Swipe for lowering to 1 HP. Foresight is for Ghost-Types, Thunder Wave would be for Insomniacs. STAB from False Swipe, and Expert Belt raises its effectiveness against Steel- and Rock-Types.

Any help on Nature and Thunder Wave or Foresight is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if my spelling and grammar fails right now, it's still pretty early and I'm tired.

Last edited by haga11111 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

i would say hasty nature, EV train its speed so it can get the first hit in, whether it be with mean look or thunder wave or whatever. :D

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:33 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, Mean Look isn't as important for speed since fleeing always happens at the end of battle, but it could be useful for its other moves. Would I put the other EVs in attack, even them out them in defenses, or spread them out in defenses and attack?

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

well, since its a catcher, theres no need to defeat the pokemon, so i would put them in defense and sp. defense so he can survive longer in case the other pokemon bites back, lol. it'll give you a better chance at catching, and you really SHOULD EV train it because smeargle's stats aren't that great since he can learn any move.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Good point. The only reason I was thinking of Aattack EVs was so that False Swipe could bring them down faster, but I guess surviving would be more important.

So like this:

{smeargle} Smeargle @ Expert Belt
Hasty/Technician
252 Spd 128 Def 128 Sp. Def
Moveset:
-Spore
-False Swipe
-Mean Look
-Thunder Wave/Foresight

Right?

I still haven't decided between T-Wave and Foresight. Oh well.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

yes, that would work great. and if you ever needed to switch between foresight and t-wave there are move tutors and the move rememberer. :D

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

True. I could use foresight if I intend to catch ghosts, and T-Wave for Insomniacs.

Thanks for the advice! Once I get back to playing later today I'll catch a Smeargle and a Ditto.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:24 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

ok. glad i could be of some help.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Is paralysis as effective or even more effective than sleep for catching? Because if so, maybe you could give up on Spore for the 4 other moves.

Alternatively, maybe you can simply give up on thunder wave. All the pokemon that have Insomnia as an ability are fairly easy to catch, and probably don't really need a status modifier.

Also, this is probably a dumb question, but how exactly do you find a Smeargle? Psypokes says outside Ruins of Alph, but I have no idea where that is or how to get there (I know where the ruins are, just not where "outside the ruins" is).

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Paralysis is less effective.

Once you can Surf (and maybe use strength, not 100% sure) you go to the union cave, and two of the exits lead to the ruins. One of them happens to lead to a few patches of grass as well.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

1. expert belt increases the damage of super effective moves... false swipe on steel/rock types = Not very effective

2. Jolly -> you have to be fast, all pokemon that flee from battle are faster than smeargle naturally even little abra

3.Move set
Spore
False Swipe
Stun spore -> for ground types and volt absorbers
Night shade / Dragon rage -> does set damage so no worry about critical hits or the foes poor defenses plus both hit ghost, unlike sonic boom of sesmic toss
Item wide lens -> stun spore only has 75 % accuracy but will hit any type

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:
If you ever needed to switch between foresight and t-wave there are move tutors and the move rememberer.

...Well, since Smeargle can only learn Sketch, you'll have to use that. Move tutors and TMs won't work for Smeargle.

As for Mean Look - not a good idea.
You know how some Pokemon can flee even when they're asleep? That can be used to your advantage, since you'll be able to keep using the more effective Quick Ball to attempt to capture the Pokemon. (Quick Balls are cheaper than Ultra Balls, and at the start of a battle they're more effective than any other ball except the Master Ball.) Use the Map, and move between one route and another in order to bring the Pokemon back to your location for another attempt if the Quick Ball doesn't work. It'll end up taking fewer tries than you might think.
I used that method to catch Mesprit, Cresselia, and all three Legendary Birds in Platinum - it was surprisingly effective.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:06 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

DarkAriados wrote:

As for Mean Look - not a good idea.
You know how some Pokemon can flee even when they're asleep? That can be used to your advantage, since you'll be able to keep using the more effective Quick Ball to attempt to capture the Pokemon. (Quick Balls are cheaper than Ultra Balls, and at the start of a battle they're more effective than any other ball except the Master Ball.) Use the Map, and move between one route and another in order to bring the Pokemon back to your location for another attempt if the Quick Ball doesn't work. It'll end up taking fewer tries than you might think.
I used that method to catch Mesprit, Cresselia, and all three Legendary Birds in Platinum - it was surprisingly effective.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do in Platinum for Mesprit, and so far it's an epic fail. I'm not saying it doesn't work in theory, I just think the RNG hates me, because it takes about 15-20 minutes at least for one encounter. :(

/vXv\ has a good point or two in there. I might go with that Smeargle. Thanks.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]