It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Meatless Mondays 

Do you support the "Meatless Monday" Law?
NO >/ 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Yes, it's not THAT bad :/ 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
Yes, people shouldn't eat meat in the first place >O 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please Comment) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

Meatless Mondays 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

On Feb 18, my Animal Science class was told that Massachusetts is trying to pass a law that will BAN THE SALE OF MEAT from Restaurants on Mondays ONLY to help the environment

Below are links to articles dealing with this possible 'Meatless Law' (THIS IS REAL):

Articles/Blogs that DO NOT support the law

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/meatless-monday-in-the-media/

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/02/12/mandatory-%E2%80%9Cvegan-mondays%E2%80%9D/

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/12/cambridge-plans-taxes-veganism-climate-change/

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2010/02/12/global-warming-hysteria-cambridge-ma-goes-loony/

http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7111054036/m/5331064769

http://www.rightpundits.com/?p=5541

Articles/Blogs that SUPPORT the law (Provide me with those and I'll happily post it):

http://www.insidetoronto.com/community/health/article/71620--animal-agriculture-plants-heaviest-carbon-footprint-tva

http://www.goveg.com/environment-globalWarming.asp

http://www.paulmccartney.com/news.php#/1845/2010-02

http://gothamist.com/2010/02/22/borough_president_bring_meatless_mo.php

http://awearnessblog.com/2009/06/paul-mccartney-wants-meatless.php

----------------------------------------------

What do you think?

Should there be a Ban on Selling Meat in Restaurants every Monday?

Is this a pointless law?

Do you even care?

Why or why not?

Here is my opinion:

I think this is a stupid law the Cambridge Climate Congress is trying to pass. Vegetarians are slowly trying to FORCE meat eaters to eat veggies.

Sure we can still buy meat in grocery stores on Sunday and eat it at home, but why should we be FORCED to do so?

Vegetarians call meat eaters ‘heartless’ and ‘supporting animal cruelty’, but look at what they’re trying to do.

You don’t see meat eaters trying to pass a law that banns people from buying veggies at a restaurant.

I know, I know, this isn’t my state, but who’s to say that if this law gets passed, that it won’t be forced in my state too?

And for the record, there is already a 'Meatless Day', it's called LENT

Series:

Part 1: Realization – 2 more chapters to go!

Part 2: Searching

Part 3: Darkness

Part 4: Rebirth

Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Let's ban the sale of produce on Tuesday, and see how well that goes over.

Seriously, don't take my meat away. :(

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

CT_400 wrote:
I think this is a stupid law the Cambridge Climate Congress is trying to pass. Vegetarians are slowly trying to FORCE meat eaters to eat veggies.

What the hell? That's like saying that the Islamic religion's dogma is to terrorize American buildings. Some people want to slightly inconvenience you to help the environment and you flip your ****? Like you said, this isn't even happening in your state. The bigger issue here is the saturated fat content in ANY meat you will buy at a restaurant (protip: Next time you're at your local grocery store, check out the price of ground beef vs extra lean. No profit-seeking entity is going to use the extra lean) and its contribution to obesity is huge.

Not to mention, America is the fattest nation in the entire world. Sure, Canada's up there too, with half as many fat asses as you guys have. So you can't eat McDonald's one day of the week? Boo **** hoo. It might even help you guys out a little bit.

And I didn't read any of the articles you posted, but would this ban affect fish? If not, forcing some seafood on you might not be a bad idea because Pescetarians (fish, but no poultry or red meat) have a lower mortality rate than vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters. Oh, and there's also the fact that male vegetarians have, on average, a higher IQ than meat eaters. Then again, all an IQ test really studies is how well someone preforms on an IQ test, so that last point is probably completely irrelevant.

CT_400 wrote:
Vegetarians call meat eaters ‘heartless’ and ‘supporting animal cruelty’, but look at what they’re trying to do.

The majority of vegetarians do not think you are heartless or supporting animal cruelty. The ones that do need to shut the hell up. It's the same example as above. You can't judge an entire religion based on an extremist group. Just because PETA and PETA2 are hell-bent on guilt tripping and manipulating people (especially youth) into vegetarianism does NOT mean that all vegetarians, or even most of them, are like that. So **** think before you make a generalization like that.

In all honesty, I'm not quite sure how I feel about the issue. I know I don't give a **** from an environmentalist's point of view but eating a delicious portabello with some asparagus and spinach, or maybe even some freaking fish, might do some good for some of you.

Jus' sayin'.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Barring everything else, I believe it should be on Fridays. I don't support it, but if it were to be enforced, Fridays would be the best. I'm biased because I'm Catholic, but there are so many of us that can't eat meat on Fridays (in Lent) and I don't know of any other religion that prevents you from eating meat on any specific day(s) of the week. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like it would make more sense to make it on Friday. Yes, I know about seperation of church and state blah blah blah this isn't about that. It's like having our weekly break on Saturday and Sunday; it's just convenient because so many religions encourage breaks on those days anyway.

Just my opinion, again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:13 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Should this be passed, I think I may have to hit up the next Anime Boston and stay until Monday. Then have a nice steak cookout on the capital lawn.

Seriously though, there's no possible way that not eating meat for a day will affect the environment. It will, however, deal a nice sucker punch to the economy. This is why environmentalist fundamentalism is so irksome; they cry save the environment, by using means that don't actually affect the environment, but do actively lower the quality of human life.

I'm making an entire package of bacon next Monday.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm a vegetarian, and even I think this is stupid.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:37 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

This subject comes up often in my field or studies. Being a Wildlife Biologist student really can change your views on many things.

Meatless Monday is not all that bad of an idea.. if you can actually do it. I don't think eating healthy food once a week will hurt anyone but, that is your choice.

Vegi vs Meat war = Stay away.

Just like the hunting subject, if what you do is not pointless (Hunting Leopards, Elephant, Lions etc) then all power to you.

PS: I get this alot to..

American Man says: How is hunting elephant, lion bla bla pointless? we are helping control the enviroment.

Person with common sense says: You live in America, you should be worried about your own environment. Buying a 1200$ gun & hanging the head on the wall does not help the cause at all.

Sorry for the babbling.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile ICQ
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

But....how can you have your pudding if don't eat your meat?

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:06 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sneaky Sneasel wrote:
But....how can you have your pudding if don't eat your meat?

Sheer...awesome. But yeah, I love meat. Steak, burger, bacon the works. I'm not against people who don't like meat, but I am strongly against people who tell me I'm wrong for eating meat. We all know those people, right? And they vex me. None of them ever has a valid and eveloped argument for why it's wrong, either, which makes me even more mad. Basically, I'm not too keen on this law because I love to eat meat.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:51 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

This legislation not only proposes a stranglehold on the local economy, but it doesn't necessarily mean that people will eat healthier simply due to this, as some pro articles suggest. Granted in the restaurant business, Mondays are extremely slow, and people rarely eat out because many did on the weekend. Economically, it would be unsound to eat away from home again so soon. Ergo, banning the sale of meat in restaurants would force those who do go out to eat healthier with little damage to sales, right? Wrong:

1. Consider why someone would eat out on Monday. Convenience. People who dine out on Mondays typically do due to the fact that they simply don't have the time to prepare meals for themselves. What kind of meals can one prepare quickly and easily at home? Ready-made, frozen meals, high in sodium and saturated fat that will most likely feature (GASP!) meat. It's not a large Big Mac Extra Value Meal, but it sure isn't a hell of a lot better.

2. Seldom is any restaurant meal even remotely healthy. Especially for people who don't normally eat vegetarian meals, it's not likely that one would know what a better alternative is or not. Even if a meal is vegetarian, that doesn't necessarily mean it's sound for the body, or in some cases, even more so than some meat meals (however unlikely).

3. Eating veggies is yucky. How can we convince people to eat something they normally wouldn't? Answer: Restaurants, particularly vegetarian ones, will attempt to kick up the flavor with spices and sauce to attract customers to eat there on a low volume day made even lower due to legislation. In turn, this would make meals even unhealthier than ever (BUT MEAT FREE! YAY!). And do meat eaters know how to balance nutrients one finds from meat, such as protein, in a vegetarian meal? Typically, they don’t.

4. “Our schools are following this example, so our children are healthier, which means it’s better. (:” No, school cafeterias are based on a system that budgets to create profit. If a child doesn’t want to buy a school meal, their parents will likely pack their meals for one day a week. How do they solve that? Mac and cheese, more desserts, lunch with pancakes and syrup and eggs with cheese (no bacon, God forbid).

What of the economy? We understand the restaurant business will suffer, but only a day they already do, so what does it matter?

1. It’s likely there will be many restaurants that simply choose to close on Mondays, particularly places that lean on the sale of meat such as steak houses. If employees work less, employees make less. If the restaurant needs less man hours, they need fewer employees. This means more people out of work and more people spending less money. And what of high volume, fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s or Burger King? Could you imagine them not selling meat? They wouldn’t sell anything at all.

2. All politics are local, and so are meat vendors. Any restaurant that I’ve ever worked in received most of their meat within the same state (except fish), especially smaller, locally owned businesses. Buying regional is far more conducive to a strong, local economy since most money earned is spent within that area. Taking money from local sources takes money from your pocket. Consumers are less likely to endorse your business, whether you’re an owner or simply an employee, and in which case, everyone earns less.

3. But if meat farmers suffer, won’t farmers who grow grains and vegetables increase sales? Again, wrong. It’s extremely important to note that 80% of agriculture goes to feeding livestock (at least in the US). Local grain farmers will suffer. Perhaps the drop might seem insignificant since it only effects Monday restaurant sales, but any decrease means less earnings and less spending in farms and restaurants. Remember that many meat meals are accompanied with vegetables. Even if people buy more vegetarian meals, that doesn’t mean they buy more vegetables. Your local cabbage, asparagus, and tomato farmers could suffer as well.

BUT WE’RE TRYING TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT! ;_; Right, life as we know it; human and animal kind alike. Ban meat sales everywhere forever and let the cows and chickens free. What niche do cows and chickens fulfill in the environment? How long would they last? Crops and garden plants grow from fertilizer. Where does a lot of that come from? And what of the farmers and companies which sell this product? Hmm…

Nothing about this legislation is contributory to healthy bodies and a stable economy, and it's generally a violation of basic human rights. We have the right to be fat and eat whatever the **** we want, and if we allow the government to control what we eat when, what else will it take from us?

Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

One thing everyone needs to remember is.. Nothing is going to change no matter how much you bitch about it.

All you can do as a single individual is stick to you opinions and do the things you think is right.

That is what I do, no matter how much I hate trigger happy hunters.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Holifax, you're awesome.

I support it. The United States doesn't do enough to be green.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Does this include fast food as well?

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

If we want to help the enviroment, we should be banning electricity, aeroplanes, petrol, etc. Those are the things damaging it most right now.

I understand why some people dont want to eat meat, and i accept that. I disagree with them though, and dont think they have any right to stop other people from doing so. Meat is actually an important part of a human diet, and unless you have done research into other protein foods etc. like vegetarians do, not eating meat could damage your health. Plus, its not right that one group of people get to push out their world views on everyone else. You don't have to go to a mosque every day, or church on sundays, or whatever. Why should we have to stop eating meat on mondays? Not eating meat is a personal opinion, that its not right to kill animals because they're cute/equal/whatever. I dont agree with your view, i think its fine.

Lions/Tigers/Bears eat other animals without thinking things like 'omg is this quagga endangered?!' or 'this giraffe is too cute to eat ):'. Its just how the world works. Some animals eat other ones. Some animals eat people. People eat animals. Its natural.

I hate animal charities for similar reasons though, i just think we should care about PEOPLE more than we do about animals. The £2 a month you give for someone to look after a dog could help feed a starving african child. Yeah, maybe dogs have feelings etc, but a) they can survive on their own :/ and b) i think humans are more developed emotionally etc. and are smarter. Because im religious, i think that people are gods chosen species etc. and animals were made for us.

Anyway, yeah, I think the rules is stupid.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 am
The Geek
The Geek

Dan Roswald wrote:
The United States doesn't do enough to be green.

What does whether or not you eat meat have to do be being a trendy person and "being green?"

Humans have been eating meat for the entire history of our species (or close to it, depending on your personal views on where we came from). We're built for it; we have the teeth and the digestive system to not only consume it and break it down, but to thrive on it. Which has nothing to do with today's top trends of "being green" and owning a Mac, both things which serve no real purpose or change anything whatsoever except in limited circumstances. But that's an entirely different debate.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

CT_400 wrote:

And for the record, there is already a 'Meatless Day', it's called LENT

You do ralize there are other religions besides Cristianity/Catholicisim right? People like you are all the same! You arn't aware of others!

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Last time I checked, most restaurants offer and even PROMOTE meatless items for Lent. Unless you're implying that only Catholics buy the Fillet-o-Fish. Furthermore, far more people that just Catholics observe the tradition of giving up meat for Lent. The statement was hardly unaware of anything.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sorry. I really shouldnt have brought religion into this dicussion.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Jigglypuff wrote:
Unless you're implying that only Catholics buy the Fillet-o-Fish.

oh god I could really go for a fillet-o-fish

I agree with what Jigglypuff said regarding it probably having little impact on the environment. I think I read somewhere about how if vegetarianism was more widespread there'd be more food to go around (in 2002 70-something% of corn grown in Canada was used to feed livestock; I read somewhere else that 7lbs of corn given to livestock only returns 1lb of meat) but... I don't think this is a way to promote vegetarianism at all.

Also about the whole trendy thing :/ I remember wanting to be a cool environmentalist vegetarian with a Mac and now I'm... 0.5 of those things. **** the environment >_>

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:53 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Dan Roswald wrote:
Holifax, you're awesome.

I support it. The United States doesn't do enough to be green.

Thank you.

I would like those who say things like ''**** the environment & ''We need to worry about people and not animals'' that you make no sense, not trying to downgrade you guys but it is true.

Saying **** the environment is like telling yourself to go ****off, your apart of the environment just like everyone else, just like Micheal Jordan was apart of a team. You should do things to help your environment just like a player should do things to help his team. The things you do don't have to be gigantic but something to at least be proud of, if not, just like players, you should be benched.

On to saying we should care bout people and not animals.

You have heard this a million times and now your going to here it 1m&1 times. Human Beings, Homo Sapiens, whatever way you look at it... are animals. We are apart of the mammal group, there is no denying it.

http://mammals.suite101.com/article.cfm ... s_a_mammal

If you have a hard time believing the truth, take a look at the link above, study very carefully and try not to make to many idiot remarks.

Most of you who believing eating other animals are right.. it is OK, it is apart of our entire time-line and should continue to be, however, over hunting, over fishing, poaching, hunting endangered creatures and killing for fun is only for idiots who should have a master degree in excuses.

So to break this thread down to a pint size..

Meatless Monday - Not that bad of an idea - if you do not like it it is ok because it is only a suggestion.

Eating other animals - Totally fine as long as you do just that. Hunting exotic species for fun is another story.

Religion - Shouldn't ever be brought into a conservation, the human race fight each other enough.

Finally, I think this thread should go ahead and be locked for safe reasons. Closing the thread would be a very smart thing to do.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

If this passes I see the result being:

Grocery stores will be busier on Sunday.

Restaurants will be partially/fully closed on Mondays.

Peoples diet habits would be the same. (if people would change for something like this obesity would never of become a problem)

Meat consumption would lower so little it would be nil, even in MA, making no change to the meat industry.

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:18 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I don't see what this would accomplish, apart from slightly inconvenience people and waste a whole lot of time and money better spent for just about anything else.

That, and I'm a firm believer in the fact that no meal is complete without at least one dead animal.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:40 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Almost everything I've read in this thread that has been anti-MM has taken a very selfish attitude. The main vibe I'm getting from youse is "it's not our problem, there's nothing we can do about it, let's not even try, so inconvenient, moan" Fair enough, but online you sound like fat slobs who think everything should go your way when you demand it to. just sayin'

Also.. I don't think MM has anything to do with providing a solution to whatever problem is being solved, but more raising awareness re: impacts meat consumption has on the environment.

Personally I don't think its a bad idea, but I also understand why people are not willing to embrace it. I guess it's always been human nature to enhance your "quality of life" without consideration for any consequences. It's always someone else's problem, isn't it? But maybe I'm a hypocrite; the reason I like the idea is because I don't eat out on Mondays.

MasterChef wrote:
If this passes I see the result being:

Grocery stores will be busier on Sunday..

Probably not, from what I gathered from the OP the law would affect restaurants only.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

lol Wow, nice argument. No valid points with backing; no evidence that refutes contradicting statements; blatant, jejune vilification of people who disagree with you... God, you're good.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:37 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

OK, calling you guys fat slobs was a bit harsh.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next