It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 4th generation pokemon contests 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've noticed nobody really talks about Pokemon Contests. Is it because nobody cares? or just that there is no place I can find that you can discuss them. (I don't no about you but I can't seem to find a place to talk about pokemon contests. Maybe i don't know where to look?) Anyway, here is where yall can talk about anything having to do with 4th generation pokemon contests! including poffins yay! (3rd generation contests are quite a bit different)

Personally I have beaten all four ranks of contests in pokemon diamond many of times. Only once in Platinum though. Maybe I just started to suck? I also make great poffins. Usually around level 50-60 with one other person.

Anyway have fun posting (if anybody ACTUALLY will post :| )

{latias} Black FC: 1463 5647 1777 {latios}

Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I will be honest.

I think pokemon contests should have a bigger appeal. They are heavily used in the anime now & should be implemented in the main series of games with some real competition similar to pokemon gyms (Each town has a pokemon contest tent lead, maybe?), this would really give people mroe then to do an look forward to.

Might actually see some pokemon that are rarely used in battle take a shot at fame (Magcargo, spinda, octillery, poliwhirl etc), along with some unused moves as well.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 am
Profile ICQ
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
Well the side quest stuff like contests & some other things I can't remember became harder in Platinum to me...& yeah, Contests should have more appeal seeing as they can replace the neccessity of beating the gym leaders imo with enough work done on them anyway...can't wait to see how the replacement for it in HGSS feels...well anyway, back to contests...I have only beaten Master Rank once & it was recently with this pokemon;

{glaceon} / Female / Shiny / Level = 75 (?)
Nature = Hardy / Impetuous & Silly / Happily Eats Anything
Item = Blue Scarf
Beauty = Max / Cuteness = about almost 1/2 way up... / Smartness = about a 6th way bit up / Toughness = little bit up / Coolness = little bit up
Sheen = Max
Ribbons = currently 17 for now
Movepool (as of Beauty Contest Master Rank)
1. Icy Wind
2. Ice Fang (was replaced with "Last Resort" for future use)
3. Protect
4. Mirror Coat
Status = EV Trained completely with 252 SPATK EVs, 252 SPE EVs & 6 HP EVs. Is at Max Happiness with the rolex of the Sinnoh region known as the "Gorgeous Royal Ribbon" & has conquered the Beauty division via finally having beat the Beauty Contest Master Rank & currently recieving training for the Cute Contest Ultra Rank as that is when the Visual Round really gets to be at least a challenge...

As I stand now, I absolutely dispised the Gen III Contests as they lacked the flexibility that the 4th Gen Contests have...for instance, The pokemon capable of winning the contests can even be a {magikarp} if you pick the right category for it to compete in & there are 3 parts to the contest & not just 1 which was the one I could not beat via Ultra Rank contest ever no matter how good my pokemon was due to the way it was set up as oppose to now even though I still don't like it I can now win the round with high probability via the right movepool. Sad thing is that in Pearl was it I couldn't seem to beat the Ultra Rank either but I knew it was because I wasn't really trying to win but see how the contests felt in the 4th Gen...& another thing I like is that the moves you use's category don't have to match the contest category because in one contest category only 2 other categories are frowned upon by the judges & 2 are seen as acceptable while the 1 matching the contest category rises their voltage on top of not dropping it like in the 3rd Gen. Also...making Poffins is fun...just that since I have no one to make them with I always make above average at best Poffins which thanks to Platinum is...alright for maxing out a stats as with my Glaceon...the cons with the 4th Gen contest are that making Poffins are actually quite more difficult then in the 3rd Gen though I did get use to it...& that Fantina could be better in the Acting Round & Jasmine seems to just destroy me except for when I beat her & the few times before that. I have yet to see mother there & if I did I would probably lose cause I saw something that said she had a {kangaskhan} as her entry which has a great movepool variety on top of the Visual Round dominince it's going to be dishing out to me...I suck at the Visual, obliterate at the Dance & do my share of work in the Acting.

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:50 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah I make Poffin's alone to. Not like in Emerald where there were always strangers kicking around ready to make Poke blocks with you. It's kinda disappointing because my Poffins never reach as high of a level as they could.
I do aggree contests should have more appeal. It would be great if the had a contest every town or so like in the anime. I also think they should Incorperate contest batlle's. Maybe also a way to have moves interacte. Although it would be very complicated it would be more in-depth and fun. Like for example your pokemon could use Surf and the Ice beam to freeze the water. Now it is just moves individually except for those ones that double the points you get on the next turn.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:06 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

yes...they really should add Contest Battles or at least make a Contest Style Pokemon Rpg game where Contests are what the Gyms are in the main Pokemon Rpg...

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah that would be cool. Maybe also at the beggining you could pick either to be a cordinator or a trainer.

I've noticed psypoke dosen't have a contest guide. Or atleast not one i can locate. If there actually isn't one i would be willing to write one. I am quite good at contests and if some people would like one PM me saying so or i guess post it here? I don't want to write a guide nobody would be interested in having.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:41 am
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Yeah they really should based on what a man in the city the contests were being held at said which clearly stated that trainer had a choice of being a gym leader or a coordinator... I think he said "You're a Trainer, are you? You've got two choices of challenges, either the Gym or a Contest, right?" & considering that this is a pokemon game, this would be an educational & informational statement thus stating that trainers can choose either one...

& as for the Contest Guide...I really would perfer one for the 3rd Gen games but it would be nice to have a actual guide to the Super Contests as not even the Prima Stradegy Guide helped me out in this regard...so...yeah, I'm voting for interest in the guide, Blaziken_is_Kool...

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I haven't played 3rd generation pokemon contests in a whil but i did beat the highest rank many if time so i am sure i could do it again, it just wouldn't be as detailed as a forth generation contest guide.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:28 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I've only managed to best an Ultra Rank Cool comp wth my {dragonite} (tho admittedly I only tried a few times at Master before getting bored ;)). I think it's because my poffins suck, usually only around lvl 10, so I usually flunk out the visual. :P

Any advice for good poffin making?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:07 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah i think i have some advice. I can also include some poffin advice in my guide to. seeing as poffins are an important part of winning a contest.

First of all what berries are you using. The better the berry the better the poffin. Try asking someone to trade you a berry on the wi-fi trading request thread.

Try making berries with friends. Often berries are a higher level when made with a friend. Make sure you both use different berries.

Also make sure you don't overflow or burn the poffin mixture.

Hope that helps

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My aunt, my cousin, and I make Poffins together all the time. The highest level we made was a Level 83 Rich Poffin, but I think my brother also helped with that one. My star Contest Pokemon are Espeon,Gardevoir, Milotic and Leafeon. My Gardevoir has the most ribbons now. She has 37 ribbons right now, and that includes other ribbons like the weekly ones, and the Ribbon Society ones.

Name: Gardevoir

Level: 58

Nature: Quiet
Highly Persistent
Likes dry food

Item: Red/Blue/Pink/Green/Yellow Scarf

Condition: Cool=Max out, Smart=Maxed out

Sheen: Max

Moves:
Psychic
Calm Mind
Confusion
Thunderbolt

Ribbons:
Hoenn Pokemon League
Hoenn Cool Contest Normal, Super, Hyper, and Master
Hoenn Beauty Contest Normal, Super, and Hyper
Hoenn Cute Contest Normal, Super, and Hyper
Hoenn Smart Contest Normal, Super, Hyper, and Master
Hoenn Tough Contest Normal, Super, and Hyper
Artist Ribbon (Hoenn)
Effort Ribbon
Sinnoh Cool Contest Normal, Great, and Ultra
Sinnoh Beauty Contest Normal, Great and Ultra
Sinnoh Cute Contest Normal, and Great
All the Weekly Ribbons (7)
Gorgeous Ribbon
Royal Ribbon
Gorgeous Royal Ribbon

I'm gonna get the rest of the Super Contest Ribbons some time, but it gets boring without any competition. Oh, my Milotic is so much better though, it has 3 Conditions Maxed out.

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Wow thats a pretty impresive Gardevoir. My best contest pokemon is my Torterra and Milotic. Torterra is better though. Torterra's Coolness and Toughness are maxed out. Milotic has beauty and smartness maxed out. Torterra has a better moveset though so i prefere to use him.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:22 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

{milotic} is a easy choice for contests cause it's required to have {feebas} fed with poffins to even obtain one...{torterra} on the other hand I would love to know what moves you have it use when it's acting in Contests...& yes that {gardevior} is very impressive...I wish I had someone to make poffins with since without anyone, only the berries after #52 grant any garenteed to be good poffins...

& if it interests anyone I plan to train a contest star of a {lopunny} & it's going to be in the Cute Contest...Cool Contest would be easier but I like a little challenge...I need to get {ninetales} trained already so that I can breed a {vulpix} capable of doing some Super Contests as well...eventually...first though I need to grow some berries worth cooking...Thanks Psychic_Espeon_16 much...

lol... **** is censored for some reason...did not mean to type that when I did it above before...

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I was pretty good with the hoenn contests but i havent yet gotten the hang of the sinnoh ones. *sigh* im good with the visual part of the contest, but after that....yeh...i get obliterated. XD

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, what I do is use the X,Y,A, and B buttons for the dance contest, and I use the old Double the next move and use a move that earns 2+ 2more if performed in the first turn. That way I get about 8 to 11 points a combo.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

huh. i think ill try that, maybe ill have better luck. :D

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:00 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You know you can cook over wi-fi right? The only person I can cook with is my sister, except she is studying for exams like 24/7. All my friends dislike pokemon and think Call of Duty is way cooler. Even though i beat them at COD everytime ;D Anyway why don't you like post a request on the wi-fi trade request thread to make poffins. I wouldn't mind making poffins with people. I have all the rare berries too.

I find it is always handy to have a move that gives you +2 when you perform last. That way when you do really good one turn you'll go last and score some points. The doublingpoints strategy is good too.

{torterra} w/yellow scarf
Sassy nature
Crunch - Tough - Earn +2 if perfomed last
Frenzy Plant - Cool - Earn +3 if the pokemon just performed hit max voltage
Earthquake - Tough - Earn +2 if perfomed last
Stone Edge - Tough - Earn +2 if the judges voltage goes up
Toughness maxed out
Coolness almost maxed out
Sheen maxed out

I also used my Torterra to beat pokemon diamond Elite four.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:03 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

seriously? you can make poffins over wi-fi? lol, i didnt know that. that's pretty cool. i bet i can make some good poffins that way. btw, blaziken, i finished EV training your feraligatr. PM me when you want to get it.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:10 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Yeah when you go into the Wi-Fi club you go to the flashing screen, and go to the cook option.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:23 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

The thing is that I know all about the Wi-Fi options...just haven't got around to asking anybody yet cause I need to make a harvest for the coming season seeing as my stock of crops are not looking good (note : Due To Laziness On My Part)...

Oh & do you actually use Frenzy Plant in the Contests or is it there for battle reasons?...cause I can't use those types of moves in contests that work based on if others maxing out voltage as they barely have any use in the Super Contests so I don't put them on my contest pokemon...but that's me...& I like the moves that give you points based on when you perfomed mainly the last ones since my pokemon is usually at the bottom...

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I wouldn't mind making Poffins over Wi-Fi, but my berry supply is fairly low, (except Magost-58), because I haven't been growing many of them. I've just been growing the rarer berries, 53-64, for trading to people.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:51 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have tons of all berries. Mostly because I really have nothing else to do.

Yeah I don;t use Frenzy Plant that often but I do get some use out of it. When there is a pokemon in front of you that is likely to hit max voltage (ex/ you are going second and voltage is one away from hitting max voltage) it is good to use it. Otherwise it is basically batlle purposes. I used that Torterra to beat the battle tower. If it wasn`t for frenzy plant i wouldn`t have won.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

lol, im thinking that you have to have platinum to make poffins wirelessly? cuz i cant find any place to do that in pearl. XD

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Aha yeah I was talking about Platinum. I never looked in Diamond/Pearl

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:23 pm
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Blaziken_is_Kool wrote:
I have tons of all berries. Mostly because I really have nothing else to do.

Yeah I don;t use Frenzy Plant that often but I do get some use out of it. When there is a pokemon in front of you that is likely to hit max voltage (ex/ you are going second and voltage is one away from hitting max voltage) it is good to use it. Otherwise it is basically batlle purposes. I used that Torterra to beat the battle tower. If it wasn`t for frenzy plant i wouldn`t have won.

I though it was something like that with Frenzy Plant...stupid thing is my Torterra still has Leaf Storm on it which is, why I doing that...

Anyway, I am an expert on growing any of the berries on the list properly & because of my laziness though I tend not to grow them well... + people like to throw off my schedule with their **** needs it's really annoying since I have a hard enough time getting into the rythem (?) when making poffins then this happens too...well whatever I plan to start my Platinum file over sometime after I get SS anyway so things will turn out much better when that happens...& my {glaceon} is now in the 80s Level wise but I need a slave of sorts to get me the Pink Scarf...but I'm too busy breeding the shiny {vulpix} I plan to use in SS...such a long task...Oh & when I say I know how to grow berries I even know how long each set of them takes to change appearance, each time they do it until they grow except maybe, maybe the ones that the Figy Berry is among is the Sitrus Berry itself...

Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next