It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What OS does your computer use? 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm using windows 7. I was a little skeptical after the disaster that is vista, but I haven't had any problems with it yet. I upgraded from XP too and the layout looks much better.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:59 am
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

I boot into Windows 7 Professional. I have VMs for W7 RC, Win XP, and Ubuntu, though I really don't use the first 2 anymore. I actually have 2 W7s dual booting, because my previous OS was "incompatible for upgrade," so I made a new partition, but I later found out that basically everything is saved anyways, so I installed again because the irregular drive paths bugged me. I've just been too lazy/haven't had a reason to delete and repartition the 2nd (though it could actually be useful in the event that this installation ever borks).

Edit: Forgot to specify, though it makes little difference, my W7 is x64. Even though I have only 3 GB of RAM installed (and this is a laptop, so like hell I'm touching that), my processor is x64, and 7 promised Vista's incompatibility fiasco was a thing of the past, so I installed a 64-bit version.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My old bricktop I use as my main computer runs Windows XP. While my new laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Serpentsounds wrote:
I boot into Windows 7 Professional. I have VMs for W7 RC, Win XP, and Ubuntu, though I really don't use the first 2 anymore. I actually have 2 W7s dual booting, because my previous OS was "incompatible for upgrade," so I made a new partition, but I later found out that basically everything is saved anyways, so I installed again because the irregular drive paths bugged me. I've just been too lazy/haven't had a reason to delete and repartition the 2nd (though it could actually be useful in the event that this installation ever borks).

I understood the first 6 words of that.

I run Windows Vista. I've had my computer over two years and haven't found a single problem with it (I think this computer has BSOD'd only once on me and after I rebooted it was fine). I like it much more than XP and I don't understand why everyone hates it so much. I'm getting a laptop for university next year and if I can afford one with Windows 7, I'll get that. For now, I'm fine with Vista.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I use a desktop computer running Windows Vista (I have not had any problems with it so it's beyond me why people say it's disasterous). Hopfully I'll get a Name-brand Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium like you lucky stiffs.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:19 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Windows 7 Pro x64. Running on 8GB of RAM and a 3.0GHz quad-core, it flies.

shinashu taji wrote:
Anyway just a thought what is the Window's rating on y'all's computers. Mine for my laptop is 3.3.[/color]

5.4, and that's only cause of the hard drive. I couldn't afford to buy into SATA 6GB/s. Processor, RAM, Graphics, and "Gaming Graphics" are 7.3, 7.3, 7.0, and 7.0, respectively.

All those videos we've been putting on YouTube? I've been able to compile, watermark, render, and encode them at more than twice real-time; about 25 seconds of processing per minute of video.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Jigglypuff wrote:
Windows 7 Pro x64. Running on 8GB of RAM and a 3.0GHz quad-core, it flies.

As you better fly to Jigglypuff if I can ever find you in the real world. Cause if I do that computer is mine. Anyway just a thought what is the Window's rating on y'all's computers. Mine for my laptop is 3.3.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

shinashu taji wrote:
Anyway just a thought what is the Window's rating on y'all's computers.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Windows XP.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Vista gets a bad rap because it needed more technology than was already in the computers at the time.

I also had problems with it, but I was working with a puny 1 Gigabyte of RAM. It needs 2 gigs, but performs better than 7 for sure if it is given the two gigs. People's processors weren't ready, and were hoping for a simple upgrade. They didn't try it with any other system upgrade except maybe 95 to 98 - you could not upgrade from 98 to XP without a processor and RAM upgrade (unless you got a really good 98 computer).

The only problem with Vista was, ironically, the reason for its release - 'ol reliable, Internet explorer. I put on Chrome and haven't had a problem since. Outperforms my XP despite the same RAM and hard disk space. Sure, some old software doesn't work, but weren't there a few problems with 95 and 98 games on XP?

Oh, and while on the discussion, I was actually going to use a Linux / Unix based system, but noooo, we have to restrict it. Google Chrome, which I was hoping to double boot with my Vista and XP, has been announced that it would only be distributed with netbooks. CRUD.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't understand a thing that anyone has said, but I do have a question.. Yesterday I installed W7 onto my laptop, I like it and everything and it no longer takes 20 minutes to boot up, but how come my sound isn't working anymore? I even tried to plug in headphones into the jack but I still can't get anything.

PS, how do you get to ratings? My cousin came over before and got to the screen and I had a few 1.0's. (Graphics, haha)

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

DragonPhoenix, it sounds like a driver error. Get a driver from your sound card manufacturer's website. Another option is manually update from device manager and instruct it to look in the Windows.old system folder (that will contain some stuff from your previous windows installation) for the driver you had installed before.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

DP, what do you not understand? Maybe I make a tiny conversation:

2002 / 2003:
Person 1: Hey, are you getting the new Windows XP Operating System?
Person 2: Hell yeah. But I will need to get a new computer
Person 1: Why is that?
Person 2: XP is much bigger than Windows 98, which is what I'm working with now. My hard drive won't even be able to hold the system, let alone programs.
Person 1: Oh, right. Plus, it might be better anyway - about time for an upgrade, and a whopping 4 years has passed - an eternity in technology time.

2007:
Person 1: Hey, are you getting the new Windows Vista Operating System?
Person 2: Hell yeah. But this time, I will not get a new computer.
Person 1: Why is that?
Person 2: Even though Vista is much bigger than Windows XP, which is what I'm working with now, I have what I think should be just fine. My hard drive is big enough for the system, and maybe a few programs.
Person 1: But what about the RAM? The Processor?
Person 2: My uber_cool 512MB of RAM should hold it, and why should I waste more money on upgrades when it was only 4 years ago? My computer says it should perform well.

Notice the change in attitude between Win98 -> XP transition and the XP -> Vista Transition. The same amount of time passed, but people felt that their systems were so good that they could handle it, when in reality, they could not.
With Windows7, everyone expected a bulky system anyway, and the stuff was cheaper, and they finally realized "Gee, I really should get a 250GB Hard Drive with 4GB of Ram, and a faster processor, so the transition wasn't as bad.

Truth is, as long as you get a computer with the right specs, Vista works flawlessly. I'm actually tempted to not pay to even have Windows7 shipped (I get it free, but SONY charges a shipping fee).

On the other part, Google Chrome OS. Google was supposed to release its OS to everyone, and have it preinstalled on the netbooks. Only to find out that they are now, not releasing it for Download. I wanted a decent Linux :(

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:34 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My laptop runs Windows Vista and I hate it.

I can't stand the fact it asks me about three times if I want to open a program or not, when I actually selected it myself. If I say I want it, it's because I want it. At the same time, it keeps doing invisible tasks that I never requested, and makes everything run slower. This isn't nice when you're using GIMP to finish a picture and the program crashes because everything suddenly froze and you lose your file.

And it takes about... five or so minutes to actually boot/start, whatever. If I try to move the cursor or start IE or Firefox, or any program, even open a folder, before that time, everything freezes. And I have to wait longer. And longer. And, sometimes, nothing happens.

I've lost count on how many times I had to run the task manager, and had every single thing I'm doing freeze, including the task manager itself. WINDOWS IS LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM. Just... give it up, already, you'll never find one because you suck.

Oh, and if I use the computer for a long time, and I decide to open, let's say, my Pictures folder... guess what. They're all gone! I have to restart the computer and hope they'll show up. Not to mention every now and then the tablet driver decides to not work, amongst other stupid, silly things that can really annoy you.

But maybe that's just me. I don't understand anything about computers, so I might have probably screwed something up, I don't know. But I'm honestly considering getting rid of Vista and installing XP or Windows 7, whichever is lighter and easier to work with.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:40 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

See, Vista needs a bit of Ram and a decent processor. 2.53 GHz, 4GB Ram.

One thing I would definitely do, Galar, is switch internet browsers. I did it on Vista, and I did it on XP, both are working like never before. Google Chrome is a big improvement on Firefox in my opinion, that made a huge difference.

Next, that boot-up is a bit slow, and probably because you may have a few IM programs and other things that you don't need on startup.
I would go through the list CAREFULLY and de-select your IM services, as well as any iPod or PDA sync applications, or special programs like scanner applications and download managers (completely usesless, IMO, with IE, and built in to Chrome).

Search for the command prompt by typing CMD in the start menu, the type msconfig, and another screen pops up.
Go to the startup tab, second from the left, and deselct AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Download managers, software that you haven't used at all (but make sure that you don't need it).

Try a virus scan, drive cleaner, and defragmentation, that sometimes helps.

You can try a system recovery, where the hidden partition is accessed, and your contents are wiped, leaving you with the manufacturer's default stuff. This works for viruses and registry errors.

Finally, PC World had an article on how to stop all of the security notifications - they don't come up that often for me, so I don't bother mucking with the system. Something about administrative tools.

And finally, if it is just a lack of needed equipment, such as a low Ram, or processor, I'd downgrade to XP.
My old laptop was trying to run vista on one gigabyte of Ram (I got it for what, $500 at a July 4th sale?), and it utterly sucked. The short of the story is that there was a trade: I gave him my Laptop, guaranteed it, and made sure it worked, and installed his internet, he gives me $1200 for a new laptop that actually works.
Downgraded to XP for him, it is a bit more user friendly, and more people know how to use it in case of an emergency. Windows 7 has been on the market for a shorter time, so you'll be hard pressed to get family or friends that can help you.
XP requires alot less Ram, a much weaker processor, and less space - it runs fine on 512 MB of Ram, so whatever you have should be more than enough.
Before downgrading, though, get a copy of all of the Drivers if you need, and this was the hardest part - you possibly need a floppy-reader when formatting. Had to spend three hours with a problem of things not being transferred properly, so have another computer handy, or a decent phone if you still have full Tech support.

I must ask, what company? I know SONY has its own proprietary software, so its alot more work involved, but HP / Dell / Toshiba / Compaq / Acer should all be a bit easier to deal with. I would consult the manuals and their websites to see some reviews from downgraders. (sorry if it was a tl/dr post).

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The computer I'm currently using is a HP Mini Netbook w/ Windows Xp. It has 160 Gb HD and 1 GB Ram. It's a beast.. it runs 6 hours on one battery. My old computer was an Acer Aspire 5520 which had Vista Premium with 160 Gb Hd and 1 GB Ram. A few months ago, it took about 5 minutes to start it and even when it was up and running it was slow as hell. I put Ubuntu Linux on it, and now it's the fastest computer I've ever used. The only problem with that computer is that the battery's shot - it doesn't hold a charge.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mega_Horn wrote:
The only problem with that computer is that the battery's shot - it doesn't hold a charge.

You can always take it to a computer repair place to get the battery replaced/refurbished. Either way the battery will be better than what it is.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:02 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

shinashu taji wrote:
Mega_Horn wrote:
The only problem with that computer is that the battery's shot - it doesn't hold a charge.

You can always take it to a computer repair place to get the battery replaced/refurbished. Either way the battery will be better than what it is.

This has been my experience
I had a Compaq, couldn't hold more than a 10 minute charge. Replacing the battery doesn't always work.
When it overheats, some of the contacts end up changing - thats bad considering that those bad contacts are now touching a good battery, and screwing it up.

See about getting a new shell and a new battery, just transplant the RAM and Hard Drive if they are better than the default, and try from there. Do not use the old battery, as that is also probably bad.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I've been working for the past two years, and managed to buy myself a laptop in April '09. It was my first laptop and I was really dumb about it and so all I knew to look for was the highest RAM possible, and I had about $300. I got a Toshiba Satellite L305, and it's running Vista. I didn't have any problems with it for a few months, but then I started trying to play games and it had compatibility issues and other crap. I was going to upgrade to Windows 7, but it's such a cheap laptop that I'll just wait for it to die and get a better one with W7 already installed.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thank you Serpentsounds for the driver help (I have sound now but it took me awhile to find the correct installation file) and thank you Peanut-Lover for making everything clear.

Anyway since we're on the topic of computers... my dad installed Norton for me and I have noticed a definite increase in time waiting for the computer to load. Are anti-software programs really that vital? I've never really had anything bad happen before and I don't really know how it works but is it worth waiting the extra 1-2 minutes so my laptop doesn't unexpectedly crash on me

Also: I don't play games ever if that helps (I do use internet banking and I plan to shop online in the future)

Thank you

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

DragonPhoenix, antivirus programs are vital to any computer connected to the internet. Norton just happens to be a very slow and bloated (and some argue, unreliable) antivirus program. Some alternatives are AVG and Avast! which both have completely free versions that provide good protection.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Personally, I run Spyware Doctor and Zone Alarm. I've had problems with AVG, but seem to be the only one.

Here's where you can pick up hackers / trojans / viral cookies / spyware:
Online banking
Email
Anything that relies heavily on ads for its revenue
File sharing sites and programs including *bleep*, *bleep*, and *bleep*.
Free video and tv sites such as Hulu and Flixter

The fact is that Windows really does not do anything to stop all but the most obvious intrusions. They slow your computer down, but they aren't the only things you need to worry about:

1.) Try defragmenting: I have, in some cases, made my computer 10x as fast by defragmenting on a weekly basis.
2.) Try DiskCleanup - get rid of files you may not need.
3.) Do a cleaning of your internet stuff - passwords, cookies, temporary files.
4.) As I mentioned, get rid of some of the startup programs: by restricting what programs can start up when the computer loads, you can let it load much faster, and start it manually. Things to stop include: IM clients, file clients, music clinets.
5.) Uninstall completely useless programs: WinZip, Download managers, they all come standard in another form.
6.) Finally, reformat the computer. Nowadays, you can back these up to either USB Drives or externals, or set up a google account, and get free file savings (attach individual files). You can uninstall useless programs, clear out any drive errors, remove viruses, and start the right way, promptly installing anti-virus and good utilities.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thanks serps, ill probably leave Norton running in the background. hm I'll probably check out some of your tips somewhere down the track PL, I only just upgraded from XP to W7 so I dont have anything on my laptop yet :P and please just call me John i insist

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Psypoke Maniac
Psypoke Maniac

Location: With the 3 guides of time, deciding the fate of it...
:( My pc is running the now obsolete Windows Vista Home Premium though I really want Windows 7 since Vista takes too much adjusting to meet performance expectation along with no compatibility for little over half of the software for Windows in general :( .

Eevee Breeding Project leftovers are Available here + rest of my trading wants & haves...
Lawence Codye's Trading Thread (Gen 6 / X & Y)

"The Nine Tails of Subconscious - Lawence Codye"

Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Four days ago my computer got a very evasive virus on it, and it crashed. The hard drive got fried and i lost everything. I have to buy a new hard drive now. They don't build stuff like they used to.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next