It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Your 'Talent' on Pokemon 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

We all are good at something. But we can be good at something on Pokemon too. I know we can either well rounded on all of the things you can do. Or you can do some things better than others, whether it be fishing, breeding, training etc. What do you believe you're very good at on Pokemon. Or do you think at all of the things?

Me? Well, I think I am quite good when it comes to berries and poffins. I'm always planting, watering, and harvesting berries. I'm also always making poffins. I'm pretty good at making poffins too. I know there's room for improvement. But I do like to think I'm pretty good. I also admit, while I like breeding pokemon too, I'm not very good at figuring out how to get the best moves from eggs and stuff like that. I'm also good at training my pokemon to be at equal(ish) levels.

So what do you think you're pretty good at?

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:10 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm mostly good at training my Pokemon. I usually capture them at the lowest level possible so I can keep track of their growth. I try to combine strong physical and special attacks, while always keeping at least one stat changing attack, so I can either lower my opponent's stats or increase mine. It wasn't always the case, when I was younger I would always want the special attacks, thinking it would make me stronger, but I learned with time that there's more to it. You need strategy, and that's what I like in Pokemon. I'm pretty good with the math of the game, the EXP, the EVs and others. I always check out my attacks, their type, and the stats that have to be higher than others when considering those things. It's often a long process, way longer than capturing Pokemon with high levels or just letting them grow without really looking at their stats, natures and abilities, but that's what keeps me hooked to the game.

I also like breeding, because I can get Pokemon you can only get while doing so (Cleffa, Azurill, Pichu...) and they are at a low level (lv. 5). But I am not particularly good at breeding. I'm not aware of the egg types at all, I usually just stick in the Pokemon I want with my Ditto.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:20 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I am good at training my pokemon, so they have a honest chance against their weekness type.

Example; I have taken out Blastoise with Onix.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Chaining is probably where the majority of my pokemon talents lie. I have successfully captured 113 shiny pokemon. Only once have I had the misfortune of missing the opportunity to catch a shiny. I also hunt for and collect wild hold items using chaining and a variety of different pokemon trained for specific purposes/situations.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:59 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well I think I'm good at building Diversity teams for every generation...

The 1st trainer card on my sig pummeled my rival to pieces at the indigo plateau...

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I'm good at overpowering the game. :twisted: I always make sure I train my Pokemon to be able to defeat Gym Leaders, Elites and Champions very easily. I guess that makes me good at training as well. I'm good at EV training cos I know the best locations and methods of doing so.

I'm also good with contests, I know the best combinations possible for every type of contest and I know the perfect formulas for making the best Pokeblocks/Poffins for each Characteristic. Anyone made before lvl 100+ Pokeblocks?

For competitive battling, I'm good at forming teams cos I know how to balance teams and movesets. I also know classic and creative movesets for most competitive Pokemon. I can't say much about battles itself cos I'm not sure myself.

Hmm...this sounds more like a bragging thread. :D

Alright whose next to be liberated from freedom?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm good at training and giving my pokemon diverse movesets to the point where I can beat a high level pokemon of a type that it would normally have a weakness against. I recently started a new Pearl game, and I defeat Gardenia's gym with only my Prinplup. (:

And yes, this does sound quite braggy... hehe.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

While I'm trying to learn some new talents like shiny hunting and battling, I've always been beast at catching pokemon. One of the reasons I want to finish the National Dex in Platinum, is because I'm good at catching lots of different pokemon. I've always found catching pokemon and filling my dex a very enjoyable task.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think I'm quite good at battling. Namely in Shoddy, in Competitive battling, where you can put your teams easily together, so I guess Team building goes along those lines.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:53 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I'm pretty good at finding good deals on the GTS. Sure, half the things I get are more than likely hacked, but if someone's offering a Celebi for a Bidoof (not joking) wouldn't you take it? I also had 7 Shaymins at once, 4 of which were shiny thanks to GTS.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

If you get something hack on the gts, could it mees your game or can he dissapear or what ever like that?

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

It would probably just be easier to list what I could do with improving further, I've been at this lark for years now and am reaching a pinnacle.

I have little idea of how to win contests, ESPECIALLY the Sinnoh contests. I've colected a ton of accessorys and harvested 100+ of many different berries in just platinum, but I have almost zero contest experience. I intend to change this at some point, but not quite yet.

I could do with improving my prediction in player battles a little better, like how likely it is for a guy to switch out X pokemon in the face of Y pokeom, what they are liable to bring in. I have a bad habbit of just "winging it" which I should stop doing. That, and I need to learn how to just be satisfied with my team, I keep fidding with it, introducing new pokemon and retiring old ones just because I'm not happy with how the team is performing against certain OUs and so on.

I could do with getting a little better at radar chaining, but that's more the fault that I still havn't gotten around to raising a specific radar chaining team for the purpose.

That's about it really, anything else I can do in my sleep by now.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I'm quite good at predicting my opponent's strategy. Though I am rough around the edges, still I get the job done pretty well.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think I'm pretty good at Contests. I like to collect the ribbons and win all the time. I have like, over 250 ribbons altogether on my Platinum game.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

About prediction.

If you are facing opponent, for example in Shoddy that is equally good at you, the "training" for predicition is not usually the best way. The way I look it, is statistics. For example, the monthly statistics of which pokemon most commonly switches into which pokemon. It should be almost mandatory for serious shoddyers to read monthly the usage statistics - which pokemon is most commonly used. (btw, it's currently Scizor with whopping ~30% usage on september)

And for me, the most useful thing hand down is lead statistics. Lead is, as commonly known probably the most important member of the team, that can make or break the match to ones favor. I take these to account every time I choose any memeber to my team. Lead statistic do decide for me whether Specstran or Shucatran is better for my lead, or would Zapdos or Rotom-A fit better for the role of Gyarascizormence counter.

If you can utilize all this data in the battle succesfully, all the mindgames become so much easier.

---

Ofcourse, if it would be only for statistics, the world would have atleast one more competent player. The real finesse of all this is in the players mind. By taking account what the opponent has done previously in the battle, you can gain invaluable information about him/her. Scouting is one of the important parts of battling. Offense and Defense all base on the knowledge you have about your opponent. It can be gamechanging to keep information in darkness. I love this bit here. It shows just how important it can be to bluff your opponent.

I have example here. Lets say you have physical sweeper, in this case Scizor. Scizor has the following moveset: U-Turn / Bullet Punch / Superpower / Night Slash @ Iron Plate. You have been using U-Turn for the whole match, maybe sometimes bullet Punch, but you have never changed moves while you're in. Since your opponents sees no Leftovers recovery or LO recoil, which would be standard for Offensive SD set or Bulky SD set, they assume you're choiced. They have just switched their Magnezone in, while you have just used Bullet Punch. Now, you seem to be obviously trapped. Bullet Punch does nothing and Magnezone could just set-up on you. However, you have surprise in your pocket. Superpower swiftly KOs their Magnezone, leaving the opponent in dazzle, allowing your Skarmory/Metagross/etc. move freely.

That's just one example, but shows really how even such small thing as item can change the course of the game. Then there are ofcourse moves Like Protect and U-Turn, which are just made for scouting.

Brains also have effect on the most important thing I think for Scouting - other team members. If you have already seen 2 Choice Banders in your opponents team, it's highly unlikely to see another one. When you have seen 3 steel types, it's unlikely that you'll see another.

Unfortunately, in some places Coin Flip is the best way to go. The most generic example is the classic Scizor vs. Deoxys-A. Scizor has Quick Attack and Pursuit, which both KO Deo-A. Deo-A is faster and Has Fire Punch. If Scizor uses Pursuit, and Deoxys switches, Scizor wins. If He satys in, Scizor loses. If Scizor uses Quick Attack and Deoxys switches, Deoxys is free. If He however stays in, Scizor wins.

---

Longer post than I excepted, but you got the point. (Note: I have played Shoddy for two years now and generally in competitive around 3-4 years.)

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I think the thing I'm best at in Pokemon is probably catching pokemon - I have over 470 pokemon on my Diamond version, all caught legitamately, all caught by me (as few as possible palparked or traded with myself) and I haven't used a masterball since my old Silver version.
That's pretty much it though, I'm not very good at training my pokemon or giving them varied and tactical moves - though I'm much better than I used to be.

xox

Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:01 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I reckon my best talent is training up pokemon (e.g. i got my team of level 50s after the elite 4 and trained them up to lvl 100 in four days), i'm also good at giving my pokemon diverse movesets to cover any weaknesses and to help take down any enemy (e.g. my electivire has: Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Brick Break and Earthquake whilst my Empoleon has: Surf, Grass knot, Earthquake and ice beam), so that sort of stuff.

My Soul Silver Team:
{feraligatr} {charizard} {sceptile} {ampharos} {crobat} {scizor}

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:57 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My talent would be catching pokemon. I guarantee i can catch any pokemon as long as I have the balls, and a pokemon with Hypnosis, Thunder Wave, etc. All 18 of my pokemon boxes are full (or, would be), but i leave a couple spaces free for shinies I may see (I mean, it's about time. I've been playing for 10 years and haven't caught one yet).

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:53 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ryanh181 wrote:
My talent would be catching pokemon. I guarantee i can catch any pokemon as long as I have the balls

Freakin' lol.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:49 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Training Dragon types, i love them!!

Pokedex: - Seen: 306 - Obtained: 199

My Team So Far:

{palkia} - 100 - {tyranitar} - 83 - {dragonite} - 87 - {rayquaza} - 100 - {groudon} - 100 - {mew} - 100
Updated Daily

Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Emin Jofit wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:
My talent would be catching pokemon. I guarantee i can catch any pokemon as long as I have the balls

Freakin' lol.

I can't say I didn't see that coming 100 miles away.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Ryanh181 wrote:
Emin Jofit wrote:
Ryanh181 wrote:

Freakin' lol.

I can't say I didn't see that coming 100 miles away.

Butterfree @ CompoundEyes
Sleep powder
Stun spore
Thief
Bug buzz

Weavile @ pressure
False swipe
Foresight
Swords dance
Night slash

A two pokemon team that will easily take down any pokemon there is for the capture, as well as having a spare, decent STAB attack. Really, the only other "utility" pokemon you'd ever need other than this is a custom raised Giratina with heal block for Aceures, if you're not going to use a master ball for him, or possibly a mean look / baton pass umbreon for the runners if you're new to pokemon and can't do it without one.

Seriously though what I'm getting at with this is that "capturing any pokemon" isn't really hard to do.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I guess my talent for pokemon is making sure all of my pokemon's weaknesses are being covered with strong moves

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Profile YIM
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think mine is making a balanced team and giving them strategic movesets. For example, in my yellow version my pikachu has:
1) Thunderwave
2) Agility
3) Slam
4) Thunderbolt
I'd paralyze my enemy, boost up my own speed and then beat them up with thunder bolt unless they resisted electric, then I'd use slam. Though I think I'm going to replace slam with a water move. Bubblebeam, anyone? I would have stuck with quick attack if I'd known about slam's inaccuracy.

My snorlax has:
1) Rock slide
2) Earthquake
3) Body Slam
4) Rest
Paralyze with body slam, then beat up with whichever is more effective between rock slide and earthquake. Whenever my health got low or a status effect was getting annoying I'd rest and fix it up the next turn with my pokeflute.

Generally in a team I use a water type, a grass type, a fire type, a flying type, a 'buff', and a 'special'. A buff is usually a normal, fighting, rock, ground, or steel, and a special is usually normal, psychic, ghost, or dark. I often use double type pokemon to get rid of one of those, for example have a charizard and instead of a flying type having an electric, or a second buff or special. In RSE and GSC I often have two water types so I don't have one water pokemon whoring up all those water HMs and wasting all their attack slots like that. For example in gold I used a lanturn and another water type which I forget, and in Sapphire I used azumarill for dive and waterfall and my tyranitar for surf.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:02 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i am good at training my pokemon, on leafgreen i trained 3 pokemon to lvl 100 in a day (and i had school so maybe half) and im also good at hunting roaming pokemon and shinies

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next