It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 "I Know It's Today..." 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

So I feel like a lot of the time people on here really really prefer old stuff. It's all nostalgia this and "this was better when" that; and opinions like that are all fine and dandy, because they are after all, opinions. I do concede that Sonic games were better in the 90s, as were Doug, Power Rangers, the economy and the amount of people on the internet.

But what about today?

There aren't just tons of good things about today; several of them are better! Examples:

-Comic books getting more serious and more realistic, with characters having more consequences for their actions and more involved plotline and less "HOLY COW BATMAN IT'S THE JOKER!" and "YES IT IS I, THE JOKER, WHO WILL NOW COMMENCE WITH MY MASTER PLAN!" and "NOT IN MY COUNTRY YOU DON'T!"

-The Spectacular Spider-man, Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Chowder, Static Shock, Duck Dodgers, Ed, Edd & Eddy, etc.

-The amount of people experimenting with different ways to make games, giving us a larger diversity in games (although we may have more **** ones, we still are getting more better ones)

-Broadway: The Little Mermaid, Hairspray, In the Heights, Urinetown, Next to Normal, Wicked, Shrek: The Musical

-Science. Duh.

-Sesame Street is still awesome (and yes, I've checked. I do in fact like to watch the occasional episode in my spare time)

-Scrubs, Glee, Big Bang Theory, Fringe, Lie to Me, Medium, Flashforward, Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, Reaper, Pushing Daisies

-And I could name a bunch of pokemon, but you guys are bound to disagree with those. My 4 favorite pokemon are all 3rd/4th generation, because even though I love the 1st generation, 3rd and 4th are great too (Pelipper, Mime Jr., Treecko, CROAGUNK, btw)

-Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Where the Wild Things Are, The Dark Knight, You Don't Mess with the Zohan

So what kind of things do you like about the present? The future? What things are better than yesterday? What looks promising tomorrow? What keeps you from locking yourself away forever with a bunch of antiques?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:00 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In all honesty, I like old stuff a lot better then new stuff. Ask yourself: You would expect a kid in high school in the 21st century, to like Rap music, Xbox games, and all that stuff, wouldn't you? I am not like anyone else at my school. I'm that one kid who listens to Van Halen, Steve Vai, Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin, I play games like Super Mario Bros (1,2 and 3), Super Mario 64, Pokemon Yellow (red and blue). Hell, I even have a ColecoVision. But unlike a lot of people on this website, I'm not a complete "New-Generation hater". A lot of my favourite pokemon are from the 4th generation, but to be honest, I hate every 3rd gen pokemon except for breloom, and like 2 others. I like new systems, but not as much as the old ones. But I do hate A LOT of things nowadays, such as:

- Old movie remakes
- Hype over games, such as: COD:MW2, Uncharted 2.
- Xbox dicks, (As I like to call them) People who play call of Duty all night, and talk about it all day.
- Rap music*
- Tools. Ex., People who pop their collars, listen to hip-hop, say phrases such as " dude, this movie is gunna be right good.

In reality, I am an 80's kid at heart.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I feel nostalgic now... Good topic btw...

Rap now in days is all flash no substance... I like the REAL rappers, not the ones who rap for one album and then rap again when they run out of money...

Well, CODMWF 2 IS sik and has well deserved hype.
But Twilight and that kind of BS is annoying.Like that kid Kevin/Justin Beiber or something, he is way too hyped out.
School is getting harder and harder and soon a masters degree will mean squat, it will one day be an American standard.

Pokemon is awesome, but it will die out but considering its longevity, I am impressed and hope it does not.

So many things to buy and no cash to get it, like Touch Screen Cellphones being made or upgraded every 3 months. seriously this is problematic!
Guess I am the only person who liked playing the oldschool RPGS like Final Fantasy and Pokemon or Mario, my only past-time in the past.
I guess the only thing I expect for the future is Virtual reality RPGS and travel of space and stuff, really what can anyone expect?

I am a bit old-fashioned but like a lot of the new things in life too...

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I would have liked to be the age I am now back in the 90's, mainly so that I could acquire older games when they came out. I do like getting nostalgic over games I played as a kid (especially SNES), but I also love a bunch of current gen games, especially Left 4 Dead (1 & 2).

I'd like to think I have a balance between appreciating the past, enjoying the present, and looking forward to the future.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

obviously a lot of older folks aren't going to like what's around these days because it's not what they grew up with. chances are, they'd be singing its praises if they were ~10 years younger.

I'd say that there's good games, music and films still coming out, but it's nice to be able to look at the achievements of yesterday. thus why emulators are such an awesome invention.

one good thing about recent years is diversification. for ages, one's musical taste was severely restricted. you either had to go with whatever was reasonably popular, or go for more traditional fare like classical or jazz music. alternatives were quite hard to find. but now with the internet and youtube and such, one is much freerer to explore different genres and styles and find exactly what you want.

Quote:
-Comic books getting more serious and more realistic, with characters having more consequences for their actions and more involved plotline and less "HOLY COW BATMAN IT'S THE JOKER!" and "YES IT IS I, THE JOKER, WHO WILL NOW COMMENCE WITH MY MASTER PLAN!" and "NOT IN MY COUNTRY YOU DON'T!"

there's a certain school of thought that the increasingly darker plotlines in comics brought about by Alan Moore et al actually ended up being quite cheesy. :P

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

If it weren't for the internet and stolen music, far fewer bands would be heard today. We get a lot more variety now that a few people don't control the industry. Getting noticed is a lot easier.

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:51 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On a little blue marble called Earth rolling through the playground known as the Solar System.
How is the present better than the past...
Hmm...

Time relatively goes by faster for me now, so I can deal with going to school over and over every single day of my life.

I actually can by stuff I want now.

The huge idiots I saw everyday who would want to punch my face in if they could get away with it are now in different classes than me, so I barely see them, (they still wanna punch my face in though).

A lot of the annoying habits we were taught in middle school or lower are null and void in high school (never use first person in an essay, power point doesn't count for a presentation, make all your essays 5 paragraph, etc.)

Some of the stuff we learn in high school is actually interesting (kind of).

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:54 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Some people feel that we have more **** games coming out nowadays. That is true on paper. However, it is because the rate of production of games has increased greatly in recent times, and not because more games out of all the games produced are bad. To put it simply, it's not the share of the pie increasing, but the entire pie increasing. As such, we also have more outstanding games coming out nowadays. We just have to be more selective given the large number of games available in the market today.

Nostalgia is natural simply because as compared to newer things, we have had more time and effort spent on older stuff, and therefore have a greater sense of attachment to these things. With the same amount of time, we will develop similar feelings for newer things. As long as nostalgia doesn't stop us from looking forward, I find that it's good to feel nostalgic every once in a while so that we may appreciate what we have.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Nostalgia is there to remind us of our past, even though it might be greater than today we have to move on with our lives. Nostalgia is great I get that feeling all the time, but I just have to pick myself up by my bootstraps and get going.

I agree with the statement that we are getting more **** games, I do also agree we are getting an increased amount of outstanding games. As sNOwBaLL said the rate of games being made has improved drastically, and you have to be more selective of the game. I know I grew up on the SNES and still play it quite frequently. I still have and play what is considered to be the top of the list of good games of the current generation. Games such as Arkham Asylum, L4D (1&2), Bioshock, RE5, etc.

One thing that I have noticed and felt nostalgic about is the quality of tv shows. When I grew up the shows in the 90's were amazing, both smart and well written. Nowadays its just stupid crap, just look at Chowder and the Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack (and don't get me started on Family Guy). Even great shows have been dumbed down, just look at seasons six through twelve of The Simpsons and you will see. I mean if people don't know who the hell Carmen San Diego is, then you got a huge problem.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:57 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm down with the future. :o

The way I look at it, as far as movies, music and video games go, the future is ALWAYS the place to be because not only do you get today's selection, but there isn't anything saying you can't listen to, watch, or play what was popular 10, 20, 100 years ago. I like a lot of modern music. People who dismiss what's on the radio simply because it's on the radio are idiots, in my opinion. There's a lot of good stuff out there if you pull your head out of your ass and stop trying to be different and "better" than everyone else by only listening to bands that aren't as popular anymore.

Then there's technology and all that. Wii Fit is my best example, I guess. Played it at a friend's a while back and had an awesome time. 10 years ago I never thought something like that would exist -- where I could stand on a board and play a game just by shifting my weight from one leg to the other. And I have reasonably fast internet, my Blackberry can do everything I can think of, and when I ride the bus it tells me the stop name and all the transfers.

As far as personal crap goes.. Feeling nostalgic isn't always the best because I lived in a **** household until recently, so whenever I look back I get the same feeling I had then- "Yeah, this is fun, but it isn't worth it." Things are much better now.

Plus, I only have to suffer through six more months of high school and then I'm done. If that's not enough to make somebody feel happier about the future, then I don't know what is. Everyday I get out of bed, go to work, go to school, or even if I'm just staying at home or gaming or studying, it's one day closer to an acceptance letter from a university, one day closer to my 18th birthday, to graduation, to move-in day.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]