It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Gen IV Rating Center 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Also I'd add for skarmory that you should go with whirlwind instead of roar for the occasional sound-proofers
and I'd go with stealth rock instead of spikes cause 66 fully evolved pokemon are immune to it completely that about 1/4 of all pokemon anyone would use, and it needs to be layered to cause major hurt
only 42 pokemon would take reduced damage from stealth rock but its still doing damage plus it does the max that 3 spikes can to 80 pokemon, and all the rest it does the same as one spikes.

Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Oh sweet stuff, /vXv\! I’ve never thought about that. Guess that's why I joined this forum! :D I've started reworking on the team I posted previously and your advice about my Skarmory is most definitely useful. I can see how Stealth Rock/Whirlwind is better than Spike/Roar. I'm currently rebreeding for the changes on a couple of the Pokémon, especially the ones that needed improvement on EVs and Nature. Also, I'm working on getting Dusknoir, as suggested by Sion9. I'm starting to experiment on other possible changes that work for me. Once I’ve remodeled my team and meet the requirements to post again on the Rating Center, I’d gladly post my newly modified team for rating. Thanks again /vXv\!

http://www.facebook.com/FrankieJames
http://www.myspace.com/FrankieJames
http://FrankieGatdula.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/FrankieGatdula

California, United States - Pacific Standard Time (PST)

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:38 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Even though no one rated my last team (I posted the bottom in yellow)

New Doubles Team: Focus sash Shedinja

Shedinja w/ Focus sash {shedinja}
Wonder Guard
Naughty
252 AT 252 SP
Shadow Sneak
Faint attack/Night slash
Dig
X-sicsor

Okay Shedinja is now inmmune to damage from all regular attacks, now only indirect damage will hurt it Which is still fairly common

Drifblim w/LumBerry {drifblim}
Unburden
Timid
EVs 252 HP 252 SP 4 DF
Baton Pass
Substitute
Focus Energy
Shadow Ball

....And to further prevent damage to shedinja, it is behind the biggest substitue available, substitute mimics the creators hp and defences but mimics the users type And maybe ability, but the substituse protects it from status.....(And if time is available the focus energy can be passed as well)

Golduck w/ leftovers {golduck}
Cloud Nine
Bold
HP 252 DF 128 SD 128
Tail whip
Surf/Brine
Ice beam
Mud bomb

....Golducks Cloud nine protects shedinja from the effects of wheather, Surf won't hurt shedinja(Note if the sub is not protected by shedinjas ability it will take damage from surf so I need to test it out)...

Tentacruel w/Lagging tail {tentacruel}
Clear Body
Relaxed
252 DF 128 AT 128 HP
Rapid spin
Safeguard
Confuse ray
Pay Back
... with lagging tail tentacruel should move last thus removing leech seeds before they do damage and it can clear stealth rocks and spikes, it would also be able to come in on toxic spikes and clear them, safe guard to protect status if substitute fails pay back will also do max damage most of the time.

Clefable w/ life orb {clefable}
Magic guard
Modest
SA 252 HP 128 DF 128
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Softboiled
Helping Hand / Follow me
Oddly This pokemon is immune to every thing that hurts shedinja, With life orb and max SA with Modest It can do alot of damage, helping hand would boost shedinjas Damage, follow me would prevent some attacks from hitting its mark but shedinja is still immune to most of those attaks allready.

Breloom w/ Toxic Orb {breloom}
Posion Heal
Jolly
AT 252 SP 252 HP 4
Rock Slide
Mach Punch
Seed Bomb
Facade

Easy Set physical sweeper Rock slides preferable in doubles

For this set Drifblim and tentacruel would go first, tentacruel would set safe guard while drifblim would focus energy
then tentacruel would rapid spin clearsing all spikes (Dead last) Drifblim would then sub. Next Tentacruel switchs to golduck while drifblim passes to shedinja. The only mayjor problem is if spike/stealth rock are set before Drifblim passes.

Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:05 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

This is my team from Pokemon Platinum. I use them pretty much everywhere; In-game, battle frontier, PBR, and in Wi-Fi battles. I would like to say they are like Uber, but I know for a fact that only two of them fit that category, the rest are either standard or underused. Not that it matters to me, I've had this team since sapphire version (excluding one pokemon on the list), and I love them!

Anyway here they are.

{blaziken}
Blaziken
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Blaze
Item: Scope Lens
EVs: 255 ATK / 255 SPEED
Moves:
Blaze Kick
Shadow Claw
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut

As you can probably guess, he is the starter I picked in Hoenn. He is basically my favorite fire type. I know people say Infernape is better (aqnd I'd probably agree with that), but I don't care, Blaziken will always be on my team. The Scope Lens is for upping the power of Blaze Kick and Shadow Claw. It usually proves useful.

{gardevoir}
Gardevoir
Nature: Timid
Ability: Synchronize
Item: Lum Berry
EVs: 188 SP. ATK / 67 DEF / 255 SPEED
Moves:
Psychic
Calm Mind
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt

The first pokemon I ever caught in Hoenn, and she remains a member of my team to this day (I reraisded her in Platinum though, and was lucky enough to get her shiny). I can say without question that she is my favorite psychic type. Many people prefer Gallade, but I like Gardevoir. The Lum Berry on her is part of a status combo where she gets a status condition, passes it to the opponent, and then heals herself. Also, she knows Focus Blast to deal with dark types and Thunderbolt to deal with the occasional Gyarados. You'd be suprised how often her Focus Blast hits.

{salamence}
Salamence
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Yache Berry
Moves:
Outrage
Fly
Fire Blast
Dragon Dance

The main sweeper of my team. I know Garchomp is probably better, but I've had really good times with Salamence, and I wouldn't replace him with any other dragon type. He is also my flyer, so I can get around in the game, but it is also useful in battle, especially if I go up against a Girtatina that uses Shadow Force. I bred him to know Dragon Dance, and it has proved very useful in conjunction with outrage. And with the Yache berry on him, he can usually survive an ice attack so he can gety a chance to use his combo.

{roserade}
Roserade
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Black Sludge
EVs: 188 SP. ATK / 67 DEF / 255 SPEED
Moves:
Energy Ball
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

One day I raised a Roserade in sinnoh, and I liked her so much, I put her on my team. I bred her to learn sleep powder, and coupled with her good speed, it has proven very useful. I tried teaching her hidden power, but it turned out to be dark type, which covers the weaknesses shadow ball would cover anyway, so I just decided to teach her shadow ball.

{milotic}
Milotic
Nature: Modest
Ability: Marvel Scale
Item: Salac Berry
EVs: 255 SP.ATK / 255 SPEED
Moves:
Ice Beam
Recover
Hydro Pump
Mirror Coat

As you can probably guess, I bred this Milotic for Mirror Coat. Since she can soak up most special attacks, she's able to send them back at double the damage. I know most people give they're Milotic a Leftovers, but before you suggest it for me, hear me out first. Since Milotic can survive most hits, leaving just a little HP left, Salac Berry kicks in, making Milotic really fast, letting her either finish off the opponent, or recover before they can strike her. Oh, and the only reason I didn't teach her surf, is because in double battles it will also hit my ally, and I don't want to take a chance with that. Also, like Gardevoir's Focus Blast, you'd also be suprised how often my Milotic's Hydro Pump hits. In fact, my best friend commented on that very fact a few days ago.

{metagross}
Metagross
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Clear Body
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 204 ATK / 152 SP. DEF / 154 SPEED
Moves:
Meteor Mash
Agility
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Back in Hoenn, I was having a tough time deciding for my 6th team pokemon. But after my Metang evolved into Metagross while I was raising him, I knew I had to have Metagross on my team. Basically, he uses agility to become fast, and I mean really fast (his speed is 214!). With a boost from his life orb, most of Metagross' attacks hit really hard. I also taught him ice punch to deal with the occasional ground or dragon type.

Well, there you have it. Tell me what you think.

Oh, one more thing. I don't like having two or more of my team pokemon knowing the same moves or holding the same items. You could say it is my style.

Visit my Trade Thread!
http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29496

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:41 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

BlazeGuard wrote:
I would like to say they are like Uber, but I know for a fact that only two of them fit that category, the rest are either standard or underused.

Which are uber? Anyways, you might consider making a pure UU team for competitions, as you have several UU pokemon already.

Anyways it helps a lot to follow the format exactly, makes your movesets compact and precise.

BlazeGuard wrote:
Oh, one more thing. I don't like having two or more of my team pokemon knowing the same moves or holding the same items. You could say it is my style.

Since you cannot use all 6 pokemon in Battle Tower at the same time anyways, I might suggest using duplicate items. It is an interesting "style" to want to use different items, and a good team can be created which uses different items, but for the pokemon you have to be strongest some duplicate items should be used.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{blaziken} Blaziken @ Choice Band
Jolly 255 Atk / 255 Spe
Flare Blitz
Shadow Claw
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut / Superpower

As you can probably guess, he is the starter I picked in Hoenn. He is basically my favorite fire type. I know people say Infernape is better (aqnd I'd probably agree with that), but I don't care, Blaziken will always be on my team. The Scope Lens is for upping the power of Blaze Kick and Shadow Claw. It usually proves useful.

I think the Choice Band is best for your purely physicsal Blaziken. Superpower is an option over Sky Uppercut for a stronger attack...however, in Battle Tower and possibly PBR the AI do not know how to switch, and so a Banded Sky Uppercut might be more useful.

{gardevoir} Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Timid 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Psychic
Calm Mind
Will-o-Wisp
Thunderbolt

The first pokemon I ever caught in Hoenn, and she remains a member of my team to this day (I reraisded her in Platinum though, and was lucky enough to get her shiny). I can say without question that she is my favorite psychic type. Many people prefer Gallade, but I like Gardevoir. The Lum Berry on her is part of a status combo where she gets a status condition, passes it to the opponent, and then heals herself. Also, she knows Focus Blast to deal with dark types and Thunderbolt to deal with the occasional Gyarados. You'd be suprised how often her Focus Blast hits.

The status combo is nice, but healing is better. Ideally with Gardevoir's high SpD you can switch in on an enemy special attacker, Calm Minding and healing while their attacks do decreasing damage each turn because of your Calm Minds.

{salamence} Salamence @ Life Orb
Jolly 255 Atk / 255 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Dragon Dance

The main sweeper of my team. I know Garchomp is probably better, but I've had really good times with Salamence, and I wouldn't replace him with any other dragon type. He is also my flyer, so I can get around in the game, but it is also useful in battle, especially if I go up against a Girtatina that uses Shadow Force. I bred him to know Dragon Dance, and it has proved very useful in conjunction with outrage. And with the Yache berry on him, he can usually survive an ice attack so he can gety a chance to use his combo.

Garchomp is uber, which is a good reason not to use him. Anyways, replace Fly with Earthquake (and get a HM slave) and you're good to go. And by the way, a better EV spread is 252 / 252 / 6.

{roserade} Roserade @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Energy Ball / Leaf Storm
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

One day I raised a Roserade in sinnoh, and I liked her so much, I put her on my team. I bred her to learn sleep powder, and coupled with her good speed, it has proven very useful. I tried teaching her hidden power, but it turned out to be dark type, which covers the weaknesses shadow ball would cover anyway, so I just decided to teach her shadow ball.

Your EVs are unusually defensive for your moves. Leaf Storm is an option over Energy Ball, except that you will likely want to switch out after using it. Use Choice Specs if you go with Leaf Storm. Otherwise if you want to use Energy Ball for Battle Tower, use Life Orb so you can switch moves and sleep opponents.

{milotic} Milotic @ Leftovers
[color=yellow=Bold 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpA [/color]
Ice Beam
Recover
Hydro Pump
Hypnosis

As you can probably guess, I bred this Milotic for Mirror Coat. Since she can soak up most special attacks, she's able to send them back at double the damage. I know most people give they're Milotic a Leftovers, but before you suggest it for me, hear me out first. Since Milotic can survive most hits, leaving just a little HP left, Salac Berry kicks in, making Milotic really fast, letting her either finish off the opponent, or recover before they can strike her. Oh, and the only reason I didn't teach her surf, is because in double battles it will also hit my ally, and I don't want to take a chance with that. Also, like Gardevoir's Focus Blast, you'd also be suprised how often my Milotic's Hydro Pump hits. In fact, my best friend commented on that very fact a few days ago.

If you want a Mirror Coat Milotic, why do you have such offensive EVs? Also, please note that Mirror Coat is not a standard Milotic set - Hypnosis is better (especially if you have good luck...). You could also consider RestTalk if you do not want Hypnosis...however you should definitely change the EVs (and nature if possible). Milotic is meant to be more defensive, and your team seems to be more offensively focused.

{metagross} Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant 204 Atk / 152 SpD / 154 Spe
Meteor Mash
Agility
[color=yellow]Explosion

Earthquake

Back in Hoenn, I was having a tough time deciding for my 6th team pokemon. But after my Metang evolved into Metagross while I was raising him, I knew I had to have Metagross on my team. Basically, he uses agility to become fast, and I mean really fast (his speed is 214!). With a boost from his life orb, most of Metagross' attacks hit really hard. I also taught him ice punch to deal with the occasional ground or dragon type.

Explosion is the typical move here - after Metagross has Speed boosted, probably killed an opponent, and is heavily damaged, Explode to finish off another enemy. If you switch, you would have to set up Agility again with low HP, as you do not have Wish support.

In terms of competitive battle, your team has a serious need for stronger walls. Milotic and Gardevoir are somewhat acceptable in UU, but you will be facing OU pokemon in Battle Tower and PBR eventually, so you may want to get a heavy wall such as Snorlax or Suicune. (Those walls are strong defensively in one stat and boost the other defensive stat).

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:02 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sion9 wrote:
BlazeGuard wrote:
I would like to say they are like Uber, but I know for a fact that only two of them fit that category, the rest are either standard or underused.

Which are uber? Anyways, you might consider making a pure UU team for competitions, as you have several UU pokemon already.

Anyways it helps a lot to follow the format exactly, makes your movesets compact and precise.

BlazeGuard wrote:

Since you cannot use all 6 pokemon in Battle Tower at the same time anyways, I might suggest using duplicate items. It is an interesting "style" to want to use different items, and a good team can be created which uses different items, but for the pokemon you have to be strongest some duplicate items should be used.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{blaziken} Blaziken @ Choice Band
Jolly 255 Atk / 255 Spe
Flare Blitz
Shadow Claw
Thunderpunch
Sky Uppercut / Superpower

I think the Choice Band is best for your purely physicsal Blaziken. Superpower is an option over Sky Uppercut for a stronger attack...however, in Battle Tower and possibly PBR the AI do not know how to switch, and so a Banded Sky Uppercut might be more useful.

{gardevoir} Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Timid 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Psychic
Calm Mind
Will-o-Wisp
Thunderbolt

The status combo is nice, but healing is better. Ideally with Gardevoir's high SpD you can switch in on an enemy special attacker, Calm Minding and healing while their attacks do decreasing damage each turn because of your Calm Minds.

{salamence} Salamence @ Life Orb
Jolly 255 Atk / 255 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Dragon Dance

Garchomp is uber, which is a good reason not to use him. Anyways, replace Fly with Earthquake (and get a HM slave) and you're good to go. And by the way, a better EV spread is 252 / 252 / 6.

{roserade} Roserade @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Energy Ball / Leaf Storm
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

Your EVs are unusually defensive for your moves. Leaf Storm is an option over Energy Ball, except that you will likely want to switch out after using it. Use Choice Specs if you go with Leaf Storm. Otherwise if you want to use Energy Ball for Battle Tower, use Life Orb so you can switch moves and sleep opponents.

{milotic} Milotic @ Leftovers
[color=yellow=Bold 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpA [/color]
Ice Beam
Recover
Hydro Pump
Hypnosis

If you want a Mirror Coat Milotic, why do you have such offensive EVs? Also, please note that Mirror Coat is not a standard Milotic set - Hypnosis is better (especially if you have good luck...). You could also consider RestTalk if you do not want Hypnosis...however you should definitely change the EVs (and nature if possible). Milotic is meant to be more defensive, and your team seems to be more offensively focused.

{metagross} Metagross @ Life Orb
Adamant 204 Atk / 152 SpD / 154 Spe
Meteor Mash
Agility
[color=yellow]Explosion

Earthquake

Explosion is the typical move here - after Metagross has Speed boosted, probably killed an opponent, and is heavily damaged, Explode to finish off another enemy. If you switch, you would have to set up Agility again with low HP, as you do not have Wish support.

In terms of competitive battle, your team has a serious need for stronger walls. Milotic and Gardevoir are somewhat acceptable in UU, but you will be facing OU pokemon in Battle Tower and PBR eventually, so you may want to get a heavy wall such as Snorlax or Suicune. (Those walls are strong defensively in one stat and boost the other defensive stat).

Excuse me? Are you saying I should replace pokemon on my team?! I certainly will not! Especially not with a legendary. I happen to like the pokemon on my team.

I don't trust choice items (well, on my team pokemon anyway), so I'm not sure about choice band for Blaziken. And Flare Blitz? It causes major recoil damage, so I probably won't use it. Though I may consider it. Plus Blaze Kick is uber cool.

I kind of like Gardevoir the way she is. But I may consider leftovers on her. Maybe.

Like I said, I don't like teaching my pokemon the same moves or holding the same items, so no earthquake-y for Salamence-y (though if I ever change my mind about my "style", I will consider it). And I like a flyer to be with me at all times. Also, his Yache berry lets it survive to set up his combo. (The no same items on my pokemon team is a kind of "rule" that my best friend and I made, and I don't think he would appreciate it if I broke it)

Like I said, I don't trust choice items. Though a choice specs/Leaf Storm Roserade I may consider.

I don't just use Milotic as a wall. I use her for attacking as well. You'd be suprised how powerful she is. Plus, most other teams are offensively raised, so I just went with the program.

Explosion on Metagross. Hmmm.....it would be more powerful than ice punch.....I guess I could give it a try.

Hey, I have a question. Do any of the pokemon on the teams in the show know the same moves? If so, then I'll consider changing my "style".

Visit my Trade Thread!

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:22 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

BlazeGuard wrote:
Excuse me? Are you saying I should replace pokemon on my team?! I certainly will not! Especially not with a legendary. I happen to like the pokemon on my team.

Did I say that? I only suggested you might make a UU team "for competitions" not that you remove pokemon from your current team.

BlazeGuard wrote:
Flare Blitz? It causes major recoil damage, so I probably won't use it. Though I may consider it. Plus Blaze Kick is uber cool.

Which is better? Your Blaziken at half HP with the opponent pokemon dead, or your opponent surviving with 1/3 HP and KOing your Blaziken? Blaziken is not so strong defensively that it can take hits easily.

BlazeGuard wrote:
Like I said, I don't like teaching my pokemon the same moves or holding the same items, so no earthquake-y for Salamence-y (though if I ever change my mind about my "style", I will consider it). And I like a flyer to be with me at all times. Also, his Yache berry lets it survive to set up his combo.

Fly is an awful move for a competitive team. Yache Berry is ok, but if you're against a bulky water trying to Ice Beam Salamence you may as well switch out Gardevoir and absorb the special hits while Calm Minding.

BlazeGuard wrote:
I don't just use Milotic as a wall. I use her for attacking as well. You'd be suprised how powerful she is. Plus, most other teams are offensively raised, so I just went with the program.

I've used Milotic as well, and the reason I suggested using her as a wall is because you don't have a good wall. It has nothing to do with Milotic's ability as a special sweeper. Also, just because other teams have no walls does not mean that you should do the same. (If 100 people drive off a cliff, are you going to follow?)

BlazeGuard wrote:
Hey, I have a question. Do any of the pokemon on the teams in the show know the same moves? If so, then I'll consider changing my "style".

I have not watched the anime in a long time. Even so, what I do recall are teams suited more for appeal and real-time battle drama than competitive battling. If you want to stick with certain styles of play, by all means do so. Just be aware that your team might not be as effective as possible even in in-game realms such as Battle Tower and PBR.

EvilPenguin wrote:
:arrow: You have a post count that exceeds twenty-five (25)

No offense, but there's a reason this rule was posted...this section of the forum, especially the Rating Center, is for competitive strategy. I rated the team in terms of being successful in Battle Tower.

Shinies

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:04 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

okay for the sake of scrolling buttons everywhere please stop quoting Entire Teams
Rating center is for getting your team criticed, whether you take there advice or not is all up to you.

As far as blazkin goes I totally like it better than The flaming monkey
If You due decide to go with Flare blitz
Id rebreed it so it had reversal as well
maybe even throw in a brave bird

Blazkin w/shell bell or Salac Berry
Blaze
Jolly
EVs AT, SP, HP
Flare blitz
Brave Bird
Reversal
Thunder Punch
FBZ and BBD hurt blazekin, powering up FBZ(Blaze) and RVL, thunder punch for those bulky waters Salac Berry will make you fast later but you wont be banded

Salamence
Outrage
Fire blast/Flamethrower cause you don't want to miss
Earthquake /Brick break/Aqua tail/Stone edge - point is you need to deal with heatrans
and if you want a flying move use aerial ace cause 60 damage twice does more than 90 once

If you don't want to change your team thats fine but don't post it here

PS would some one please rate my team

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:34 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I went ahead and replaced Salamence's Fly with Earthquake. Now I just have to see how he fares against my friend's team.

Blaze Kick is Blaziken's signiture move, and the move that made him famous, so he'll be keeping it (plus it looks uber cool on PBR). I'll consider stone edge in replace of shadow claw though.

However, next time I face my friend, I'll test out your advice and see if I can beat him on the first try. If I can, I'll keep the movesets.

Visit my Trade Thread!

Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Had an idea for a three pokemon double battle team, so here it goes...

{jolteon}
-Discharge
-Magnetic Rise
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam

{jolteon}
-Discharge
-Magnetic Rise
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam

{jolteon}
-Discharge
-Magnetic Rise
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam

Okay, so they are the same, but the idea is that one uses discharge, while the other uses magnetic rise, then on the next turn the first uses magnetic rise and the second uses discharge, then they sweep, and if one is hurt, the other discharges to heal it... the problem would be earthquake would wreck, but hopefully I'd know they have EQ, and I'd use magnetic rise... not sure if it would work, but if it does I'd be happy

{vaporeon} (V-A)
-Surf
-Acid Armor
-Ice Beam
-Signal beam

{vaporeon} (V-B)
-Surf
-Acid Armor
-Toxic
-Hyper beam

{vaporeon} (V-C)
-Surf
-Acid Armor
-Ice Beam
-Shadow Ball

Same Idea, but with water absorb instead of volt absorb... one uses surf while the other uses acid armor until they both have maxed defense boosts, or one uses toxic, and they build defense as the enemy is poisoned to death, then V-B uses hyperbeam, while V-A/C uses surf to cover him, and I sweep, and laugh out loud...

Items: leftovers? I have 1 and can get 1 more fairly easily, but lefties for all?

there are no natures nor EV's yet because I don't have the natures yet, and wanted to know what would be the best for each (thinking modest as fail-safe nature, but vaporeons could use better tank natures so I don't know

thanks in advance,
-Nabkov

Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:26 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Nabkov wrote:
if one is hurt, the other discharges to heal it... the problem would be earthquake would wreck, but hopefully I'd know they have EQ, and I'd use magnetic rise
Same Idea, but with water absorb instead of volt absorb...

I actually had a similar idea, but one that does not violate Species Clause. If a pokemon with Water Absorb can use an Electric AoE attack, and a pokemon with Volt Absorb that can use Surf (Lanturn), together they can damage opponnents and heal each other with each turn. Thunder/Surf as AoE in Diamond/Pearl with Rain Dance up would be ideal for this, but I believe that Thunder is a single-target move in Platinum.

Shinies

Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

BlazeGuard wrote:
Flare Blitz? It causes major recoil damage, so I probably won't use it. Though I may consider it. Plus Blaze Kick is uber cool.

[/quote]Which is better? Your Blaziken at half HP with the opponent pokemon dead, or your opponent surviving with 1/3 HP and KOing your Blaziken? Blaziken is not so strong defensively that it can take hits easily.[/quote]

I decided to try Flare Blitz and choice band on my Blaziken. I tested it, and liked it. And thus, my "Blitziken" was born. He has won me a lot of battles. I was foolish not to take your advice sooner! I also taught him Superpower and Stone Edge.

I also replaced my Salamence's Fly with Earthquake. Its good on him. I just taught a swellow fly and use that to get around in-game.

However, I am going to lighten up on improving my team. I don't want them too strong, because the last time I battled my best friend and beat him, he didn't take it very well. He almost quit pokemon! Some things are more important than winning pokemon battles, like keeping your friends from quitting pokemon (I don't find pokemon to be as fun without my best friend).

Visit my Trade Thread!

Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

BlazeGuard wrote:
However, I am going to lighten up on improving my team. I don't want them too strong, because the last time I battled my best friend and beat him, he didn't take it very well. He almost quit pokemon! Some things are more important than winning pokemon battles, like keeping your friends from quitting pokemon (I don't find pokemon to be as fun without my best friend).

lol! Tell your friend to come here too :P

Shinies

Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Sion9 wrote:
BlazeGuard wrote:

lol! Tell your friend to come here too :P

Thats what I've been trying to tell him! But hes still not sure if he should register to post on one these forums. He can be kind of unsure of himself. But I can list his current team if I'm allowed to. With his team, he wouldn't mind replacement suggestions, other than legendaries, we don't use legendaries on our main teams.

Visit my Trade Thread!

Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

BlazeGuard wrote:
But I can list his current team if I'm allowed to. With his team, he wouldn't mind replacement suggestions, other than legendaries, we don't use legendaries on our main teams.

Go ahead if you can give detailed info on his movesets.

Shinies

Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

All right, here is my friend's pokemon team. He has switched between many different teams, but this is the first he used in platinum, with some changes I suggested.

{infernape}
Infernape @ Choice Band
Moves:
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Earthquake
Close Combat

{electivire}
Electivire @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Motor Drive
Moves:
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

{togekiss}
Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Moves:
Air Slash
Tri Attack (XD)
Aura Sphere
Thunder Wave

{garchomp}
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Moves:
Crunch
Outrage
Stone Edge
Earthquake

{gyarados}
Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Moves:
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

{bronzong}
Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Nature: Brave
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 255 HP / 255 ATK
Moves:
Iron Head
Trick Room
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt

Please rate. Other pokemon he has tried on his team are: Yanmega, Blissey, Starmie, Gengar, Jolteon, and Rhyperior.
He'll accept replacemant suggestions, except for legendaries.

Visit my Trade Thread!

Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:40 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Salamence – Life Orb
Modest | Intimidate
4 Hp; 252 Speed; 252 Special Attack
Draco Meteor
Dragon Pulse
Flamethrower
Hydro Pump

Gengar – Choice Specs
Mild | Levitate
Explosion
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb

Infernape – Life Orb
Jolly | Blaze
4 Hp; 252 Attack; 252 Speed
Close Combat
Earthquake
Flare Blitz
Stone Edge

Blissey – Leftovers
Bold | Natural Cure
4 Hp; 252 Defense; 252 Special Defense
Seismic Toss
Softboiled
Substitute
Toxic

Skarmory – Leftovers
Adamant | Keen Eye
128 Hp; 252 Attack; 128 Defense
Brave Bird
Roar
Roost
Toxic

Porygon-Z – Choice Scarf
Timid | Adaptability
Ice Beam
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Tri Attack

This is the team I set up on Shoddy Battle, and it works well for me, but I'm curious as to how well it may work without the ideal conditions provided by Shoddy, such as max IV's.

Salamence is my lead, it used to have Choice Specs, and could usually take out the opposing lead with a Draco Meteor before I switched out; Life Orb provides the power boost, but also allows me versatility.

I know Skarm-Bliss is a bit over used, but the combo works well. Sub Bliss has worked really well for me, and can take out plenty with Toxic. She is one of the main focused of this team.

Infernape is usally my end game sweeper.

Gengar and Porygon-Z are the ones that I have problems with; Porygon-Z is powerful, but it is too quick to fall, which also applies to Gengar. There is also the fact that both Porygon-Z and Blissey and normal types, which also doesn't sit well with me. Gengar is the latest in a line of pokemon I've tried to fill my sixth spot with. The best I have used to far were a Dragon Dance Gyarados and a Rock Blast Rhyperior, but I don't remember their sets. Any suggestions on replacements for Porygon-Z or Gengar woruld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

BlazeGuard wrote:
All right, here is my friend's pokemon team. He has switched between many different teams, but this is the first he used in platinum, with some changes I suggested.

{infernape}
Infernape @ Choice Band
Moves:
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Earthquake
Close Combat

I'd have to say Choice scarf would be better as other leads can outspeed him EX:Gengar,Aero,Jolteon. Or even try Life orb with Fake out over EQ to break focus sashes and U-turn scout. Otherwise good.

Also I'm just gonna say now that 252/252/4 Gives one more EV to work with.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{electivire}
Electivire @ Shuca Berry
Moves:
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

Since 3 pokes here are immune to EQ, running Expert belt would be better. Low kick can be used over cross chop OR if your S.atk IV is good, Flamethrower can be a good option to take out scizor/skarm/forretress/tangrowth

BlazeGuard wrote:

{togekiss}
Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Moves:
Air Slash
Tri Attack (XD)
Aura Sphere
Thunder Wave

Lol I'm surprised I've never seen one with tri-attack before. That could be quite interesting. Roost or Nasty plot can be used over Tri-attack/T-wave for other options but it should be fine. Leftovers is good to.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{garchomp}
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Moves:
Crunch
Outrage
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Garchomp is banned from standard play by most people, so Salamence is the usual replacement. If you stick with him use Dragon dance and Fire fang over Crunch and stone edge.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{gyarados}
Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Moves:
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Looks good, Taunt/Return/Bite(for starmie and slowbro) are options over Ice fang. Wacan can be replaced with Lum or leftovers.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{bronzong}
Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Moves:
Iron Head
Trick Room
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt

Since the rest of the team is fast, trick room can really bite you back. Also even with max attack bronzong hits 304 max, which is ok, but it's STABs and coverage is kinda low. Support is it's best game and a screen set would really boost the rest of your teams low-mid defense.

Try:
{bronzong}
Bronzong @ Light clay
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Levitate (Heat proof is an option to fool an opponent. But levitate is would do better on your team)
EVs 252HP 52ATK 108DEF 96S.DEF
-Reflect
-Light screen
-Gyro Ball
-SR/Explosion/Hypnosis

Overall your team is good, a little overly offensive, but not enough where it would be a problem. Beware of stall teams and SR abuse.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:57 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

MasterChef wrote:
BlazeGuard wrote:

{infernape}
Infernape @ Choice Band
Moves:
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Earthquake
Close Combat

I'd have to say Choice scarf would be better as other leads can outspeed him EX:Gengar,Aero,Jolteon. Or even try Life orb with Fake out over EQ to break focus sashes and U-turn scout. Otherwise good.

Also I'm just gonna say now that 252/252/4 Gives one more EV to work with.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{electivire}
Electivire @ Shuca Berry
Moves:
Ice Punch
Cross Chop
Earthquake
Thunderpunch

Since 3 pokes here are immune to EQ, running Expert belt would be better. Low kick can be used over cross chop OR if your S.atk IV is good, Flamethrower can be a good option to take out scizor/skarm/forretress/tangrowth

BlazeGuard wrote:

{togekiss}
Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Moves:
Air Slash
Tri Attack (XD)
Aura Sphere
Thunder Wave

Lol I'm surprised I've never seen one with tri-attack before. That could be quite interesting. Roost or Nasty plot can be used over Tri-attack/T-wave for other options but it should be fine. Leftovers is good to.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{garchomp}
Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Moves:
Crunch
Outrage
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Garchomp is banned from standard play by most people, so Salamence is the usual replacement. If you stick with him use Dragon dance and Fire fang over Crunch and stone edge.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{gyarados}
Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Moves:
Ice Fang
Waterfall
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Looks good, Taunt/Return/Bite(for starmie and slowbro) are options over Ice fang. Wacan can be replaced with Lum or leftovers.

BlazeGuard wrote:

{bronzong}
Bronzong @ Occa Berry
Moves:
Iron Head
Trick Room
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt

Since the rest of the team is fast, trick room can really bite you back. Also even with max attack bronzong hits 304 max, which is ok, but it's STABs and coverage is kinda low. Support is it's best game and a screen set would really boost the rest of your teams low-mid defense.

Try:
{bronzong}
Bronzong @ Light clay
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Levitate (Heat proof is an option to fool an opponent. But levitate is would do better on your team)
EVs 252HP 52ATK 108DEF 96S.DEF
-Reflect
-Light screen
-Gyro Ball
-SR/Explosion/Hypnosis

Overall your team is good, a little overly offensive, but not enough where it would be a problem. Beware of stall teams and SR abuse.

Remember, this isn't my team, it is my friend's team.

Good strategies for Infernape. I'll test it, and let my friend know if its any good.

Also good advice for Electivire. My friend mainly uses the berries to counter my team, as I often use my Salamence or Metagross to take out his Electivire.

Interesting advice for Togekiss. He only gives it the Lum Berry to counter my Roserade and Milotic's sleep inducing moves.

The only reason my friend chose Garchomp over Salamence is because I already chose Salamence for my team, and we don't like to copy each other. But the advice for him is good.

He gives Gyarados the Wacan berry to survive my Gardevoir's thunderbolt (trust me, it survives it good) and then set up dragon dance. Bite seems interesting, and taunt might be useful. I'll let my friend know.

Interesting Bronzong setup. I'll ask my friend to give it a try. Most of my pokemon outspeed his (like dragon danced salamence and agility metagross), thats why he taught it Trick Room.

Yeah, my friend tries to make his team to counter mine. He thinks my team is unbeatable, but I know that it certainly is not. I keep trying to tell him that.

This advice is good. The item changes are questionable, but I'll suggest him to try it.

Oh, by the way, Garchomp cannot learn dragon dance. But it can learn swords dance.

Visit my Trade Thread!

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So, while I wait for a reply on a request, I figured I'd get my team rated.

While I plan to use it for Wi-Fi battles, this team was built as strictly UU, so I went and tested it on Shoddy Battle before going through training them all. It fared well enough and I received compliments for it, but it also faced some pretty ruinous defeats, though I don't know how much of them is to attribute to actual flaws in the builds or my lack of battle experience. Either way, I'd be happy if you rated it. Suggestions for replacements are greatly accepted if needed, as long as they stay in UU.

Kaede {venomoth} (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Sp.D
Moves:
Bug Buzz
Toxic Spikes
Sleep Powder
Protect

When this girl succeeds, she *succeeds*, but misprediction or bad luck hurts her bad. Puts the lead to sleep, then lays down spikes. Protect blocks Fake Out and U-Turn, and Bug Buzz as the only attack. Still, her setup can be foiled by Venusaur and Drapion (who also loves to Whirlwind Umbreon away, see below), which makes things harder for the rest of the team. Even so, it's extremely satisfying to see her win 1-on-1 against Uxie leads.

Hinako {hariyama} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 172 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Moves:
Force Palm
Stone Edge
Whirlwind
Knock Off

Usually comes in after Venomoth's done its job, shuffling the opponent around to spread the poison. Force Palm to hurt and possibly paralyze Steels that don't get poisoned, and Stone Edge to KO back Flyings that try to Drill Peck/Brave Bird her. She performs well enough, but she really dislikes entry hazards. Maybe I should change her nature to Careful and change EVs (and perhaps put Earthquake over Stone Edge) to get a special tank, since the team is kind of spoiling for one.

O-kuu {honchkrow} (F) @ Expert Belt
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
Nasty Plot
Dark Pulse
Heat Wave
Superpower

Probably the unluckiest in my team. Supposed to take care of Psychics drawn in by Hariyama and theoretically hard to switch into after one Nasty Plot, but she's been a prime victim of bad prediction (and Stealth Rock) and hasn't done much sweeping so far, and got outsped/KO'd back more often than I expected. She probably needs better support... She managed to slay a couple Gallades, though.

Komachi {slowbro} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves:
Calm Mind
Surf
Psychic
Slack Off

Now this one I'm very happy with. She can win a game by herself if she has her way... that is, if no one Toxic's her and Raikou/TB Mismagius isn't around. Oh, and Night Slash Gallade... Otherwise though she performed very well and even earned me a turnaround victory at one point.

Ninian MkII {umbreon} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
Moves:
Curse
Baton Pass
Payback
Wish

Replacing a Glaceon (who'd go down pretty often despite the defensive EV build) in the Wisher role to keep Hariyama and others alive. Curse boosts Payback and can be BPed to Hariyama and Slowbro. Still, yet another victim of entry hazards or a fast sleep move. Or worse, a phazer.

Yuugi {rhyperior} (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves:
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Megahorn

Now, this one is a bit of a hit-and-miss. She's supposed to be saved for late game when the opponent is sufficiently weakened, but she's often forced to step out too soon and fall victim to something faster before she can set up. If she does though, her STABs and Megahorn wreak quite a bit of havoc. Nonetheless, she's possibly an even bigger liability than Honchkrow...

In conclusion, I don't believe it's awful, myself, but entry hazards often spell doom for this team. Also, Weezing, Milotic and fast special sweepers (especially Raikou) tend to cause me a lot of problems.
Still, like I said, it might just be my inexperience. Either way, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

-Kama

Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I didn't know if the rules meant I needed both 25 posts and to be registered for two weeks, but the main reason I signed up is to get my team rated. If this isn't acceptable, just let me know and I'll be happy to wait.

Overview: This team is basically composed of a few of my favorite Pokemon, all of the pokes just happen to be UU/NU. It's performed decently in the OU environment where people generally only prepare for OU threats, but UU is where it really shines. I've tested this team extensively on Shoddy before picking this final set, but the actual team will be used for PBR Wi-Fi mainly, while also seeing usage in the Battle Tower.

The Lead:

Koukla@Flame Orb (Magic Guard)
Modest, 252 HP 252 Sp.A 4 Sp.D
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Trick
Protect

My lead. Clefable is an awesome Pokemon in general, she's got somewhat average stats but an amazing ability. I usually Protect on the first turn to scout for Fake out, U-Turn, and Taunt. Fire Blast takes care of Metagross leads, and there was no better attack at hand. Tricking a flame orb cripples incoming switch-ins with Close Combat. I chose a special attacking Clefable over a physical one because of the higher special attack stat, but I wouldn't be against a physical one, I like the idea of a 140 BP Facade or a recoil-free Double-Edge. This has problems with Infernape who can take my Fire Blast with ease, gladly accepts a Flame Orb, and can OHKO with Close Combat. Other Pokemon it has problems with are Flash fire pokemon like Arcanine or Heatran.

The Physical wall:

Psypoke@Leftovers (Own Tempo)
Bold, 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.D
Surf
Flamethrower
Slack Off
Skill swap

I know what you're thinking. "Skill swap? Skill swap is gimmick only." It may be a gimmick, but it works wonders. Thank you, Jolteon for Volt Absorb. There goes my electric weakness! This can also ruin Pokemon that rely on their abilites, like Scizor, Azumarill, or Vaporeon. This was originally meant to be my anti-Machamp, who I had problems with. Own Tempo ruins the 100% accurate Dynamicpunch confusion, and Slowbro also resists it. If an electric Pokemon comes in the zap Slowbro, see Lanturn.

The Special Sponge:

Aqualos@Leftovers (Volt Absorb)
Bold, 252 HP 160 Sp.D 96 Def
Charge Beam
Agility
Ice Beam
Surf

This set is an amazing sweeper if allowed to set up against anything without Earthquake. Agility the first turn, Charge beam to hopefully net 1-2 special attack boosts, and sweep with Surf. He's completely walled by Blissey, but if he nets himself an Agility and at least one Special Attack boost, he's set to sweep a whole unprepared team. Unfortunately, he has problems with anything that has Earthquake or a strong grass attack, a weakness unfortunately shared by Slowbro.

The Special Sweeper:

Pyronemus@Life Orb
Timid, 252 Sp.A 252 Spe 4 Sp.D
Hypnosis
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Energy Ball

Yes, it's the standard Smogon set. It works. In Battle Revolution he's been a good lead, Hypnosis the first poke, Nasty plot on the switch, then sweep the 3 Pokemon they have. She works decently in the OU Shoddy Battle environment, landing lots of Flash Fire boosts from the likes of Heatran and Arcanine, while easily beating Swampert and anything Steel-typed. Unfortunately, he's walled by said Heatran that would give her the Flash Fire, whe can then KO with Earth Power.

The Physical Sweeper

Thinami@Choice Scarf
Jolly, 252 Spe 252 Atk 4 HP
Hi Jump Kick
Ice Punch
Psycho Cut
Trick

Again, the standard Smogon set, albeit with a very slight variation. I felt that I already had Gyarados covered with Lanturn, so I replaced Thunderpunch with Trick, which can cripple something unprepared and locked into a stat up/status move, and then I'm free to hammer away with any attack. This is definitely the focus of the team; eliminating his counters (i.e. Ghosts). I've never met any team that's prepared for this, and there is no counter to it until it's locked into a move. I fixed this problem by giving him trick.

The Secondary Physical Sweeper

Unfall@Scope Lens (Super Luck)
Adamant, 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
Psycho Cut
Sucker Punch
Swords Dance
Superpower

Probably the most unnecessary Pokemon on my team, Medicham does everything he does. He's great for coming in on a Psychic attack, especially scaring away Azelf, threatening a OHKO with Sucker Punch, or can Swords Dance while he switches/U-Turns (Which he sometimes survives). Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Psycho cut give me tons of critical hits, but using him and Medicham seems somewhat redundant.

So there's my team, specific problems I've had are Heatran, most Pokemon with Earthquake, Gengar, and Tyranitar. Heatran walls everything except for Medicham and Absol, and he KO's Lanturn before he can Surf. Fast Pokemon with Earthquake such as Choice Scarf Flygon and Swampert can KO Lanturn with ease, Swampert walls everything except for Ninetales' Energy Ball, and it's risky to bring him in. Gengar can Focus Blast Clefable and Absol, Thunderbolt or Dark Pulse Slowbro, and Shadow Ball Medicham, but Medicham usually gets a Psycho Cut in first. Tyranitar has EQ, Dark Pulse/Crunch/Pursuit, and is bulky enough to take anything except Medicham's or Absol's fighting-type attacks. The final problem I have is if a Salamence/Gyarados manages to get a few Dragon Dances, Outrage (in Salamence's case) can sweep my entire team.

Thanks for rating!

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:23 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
So, while I wait for a reply on a request, I figured I'd get my team rated.

While I plan to use it for Wi-Fi battles, this team was built as strictly UU, so I went and tested it on Shoddy Battle before going through training them all. It fared well enough and I received compliments for it, but it also faced some pretty ruinous defeats, though I don't know how much of them is to attribute to actual flaws in the builds or my lack of battle experience. Either way, I'd be happy if you rated it. Suggestions for replacements are greatly accepted if needed, as long as they stay in UU.

Kaede {venomoth} (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Sp.D
Moves:
Bug Buzz
Toxic Spikes
Sleep Powder
Protect

When this girl succeeds, she *succeeds*, but misprediction or bad luck hurts her bad. Puts the lead to sleep, then lays down spikes. Protect blocks Fake Out and U-Turn, and Bug Buzz as the only attack. Still, her setup can be foiled by Venusaur and Drapion (who also loves to Whirlwind Umbreon away, see below), which makes things harder for the rest of the team. Even so, it's extremely satisfying to see her win 1-on-1 against Uxie leads.

Hmmm, I think due to venomoth's frailness you may want to have hariyama lead and scout for poison-types who will stop your spikes, then spike once they are gone. As for venomoth herself she looks good.

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
Hinako {hariyama} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 172 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Moves:
Force Palm
Stone Edge
Whirlwind
Knock Off

Usually comes in after Venomoth's done its job, shuffling the opponent around to spread the poison. Force Palm to hurt and possibly paralyze Steels that don't get poisoned, and Stone Edge to KO back Flyings that try to Drill Peck/Brave Bird her. She performs well enough, but she really dislikes entry hazards. Maybe I should change her nature to Careful and change EVs (and perhaps put Earthquake over Stone Edge) to get a special tank, since the team is kind of spoiling for one.

As said above hariyama can make a good lead, esp. defensive sets. Mail can prevent trickscarf leads who view hariyama as ideal bait. and knock off can be replaced for EQ to finish drapion/nido and other poison who may be drawn in by whirlwind to allow veno to toxic spike without fail.

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
O-kuu {honchkrow} (F) @ Expert Belt
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Moves:
Nasty Plot
Dark Pulse
Heat Wave
Superpower

Probably the unluckiest in my team. Supposed to take care of Psychics drawn in by Hariyama and theoretically hard to switch into after one Nasty Plot, but she's been a prime victim of bad prediction (and Stealth Rock) and hasn't done much sweeping so far, and got outsped/KO'd back more often than I expected. She probably needs better support... She managed to slay a couple Gallades, though.

even with max speed honchkrow makes too slow of a sweeper. Sucker punch over nasty plot would be best to make a good mixed attacker. or if nasty plot is kept a salac berry will be best to make a sweep. Brave bird is also fine in the last slot as the recoil may allow salac to activate (or kill you)

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
Komachi {slowbro} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Moves:
Calm Mind
Surf
Psychic
Slack Off

Now this one I'm very happy with. She can win a game by herself if she has her way... that is, if no one Toxic's her and Raikou/TB Mismagius isn't around. Oh, and Night Slash Gallade... Otherwise though she performed very well and even earned me a turnaround victory at one point.

Looks good. Lum may help your toxic problem, but lefties is fine as is.

HABU-Blackbird wrote:

Ninian MkII {umbreon} (F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 SpD
Moves:
Curse
Baton Pass
Payback
Wish

Replacing a Glaceon (who'd go down pretty often despite the defensive EV build) in the Wisher role to keep Hariyama and others alive. Curse boosts Payback and can be BPed to Hariyama and Slowbro. Still, yet another victim of entry hazards or a fast sleep move. Or worse, a phazer.

I'd move those attack EVs to S.def to take hits better. Custap works well to ensure a BP or to get a final wish off.

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
Yuugi {rhyperior} (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Moves:
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Megahorn

Now, this one is a bit of a hit-and-miss. She's supposed to be saved for late game when the opponent is sufficiently weakened, but she's often forced to step out too soon and fall victim to something faster before she can set up. If she does though, her STABs and Megahorn wreak quite a bit of havoc. Nonetheless, she's possibly an even bigger liability than Honchkrow...

Without sandstorm rhyperior folds to most special attacks. Claydol may be a better option for your noted Weezing and entry hazard problem.

Claydol
Careful @ leftovers
Levitate 252HP 144Def 114Atk or S.Atk
-Rapid spin
-EQ/Earth power
-Stone edge/Ice beam
-Shadow ball(for spin blockers)/psychic(for weezing)Light Screen(help Umby curse)/Explosion

In conclusion, I don't believe it's awful, myself, but entry hazards often spell doom for this team. Also, Weezing, Milotic and fast special sweepers (especially Raikou) tend to cause me a lot of problems.
Still, like I said, it might just be my inexperience. Either way, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

-Kama[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adversity wrote:
I didn't know if the rules meant I needed both 25 posts and to be registered for two weeks, but the main reason I signed up is to get my team rated. If this isn't acceptable, just let me know and I'll be happy to wait.

Overview: This team is basically composed of a few of my favorite Pokemon, all of the pokes just happen to be UU/NU. It's performed decently in the OU environment where people generally only prepare for OU threats, but UU is where it really shines. I've tested this team extensively on Shoddy before picking this final set, but the actual team will be used for PBR Wi-Fi mainly, while also seeing usage in the Battle Tower.

The Lead:

Koukla@Flame Orb (Magic Guard)
Modest, 252 HP 252 Sp.A 4 Sp.D
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Trick
Protect

My lead. Clefable is an awesome Pokemon in general, she's got somewhat average stats but an amazing ability. I usually Protect on the first turn to scout for Fake out, U-Turn, and Taunt. Fire Blast takes care of Metagross leads, and there was no better attack at hand. Tricking a flame orb cripples incoming switch-ins with Close Combat. I chose a special attacking Clefable over a physical one because of the higher special attack stat, but I wouldn't be against a physical one, I like the idea of a 140 BP Facade or a recoil-free Double-Edge. This has problems with Infernape who can take my Fire Blast with ease, gladly accepts a Flame Orb, and can OHKO with Close Combat. Other Pokemon it has problems with are Flash fire pokemon like Arcanine or Heatran.

I like the concept, personally I'd go with toxic orb+double edge(to not be reliant of waiting a turn to trick) the rest of your team handles Steel well and any rock/ghost other then gengar will hate toxic orb.

Adversity wrote:
The Physical wall:

Psypoke@Leftovers (Own Tempo)
Bold, 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.D
Surf
Flamethrower
Slack Off
Skill swap

I know what you're thinking. "Skill swap? Skill swap is gimmick only." It may be a gimmick, but it works wonders. Thank you, Jolteon for Volt Absorb. There goes my electric weakness! This can also ruin Pokemon that rely on their abilites, like Scizor, Azumarill, or Vaporeon. This was originally meant to be my anti-Machamp, who I had problems with. Own Tempo ruins the 100% accurate Dynamicpunch confusion, and Slowbro also resists it. If an electric Pokemon comes in the zap Slowbro, see Lanturn.

Firstly Fire/Water give bad coverage, grass/water resist it and can easily come in on slowbro. Use T-bolt for better coverage and to truly counter Vaporeon and Azumarril. if your a fan of skill swap that's fine, but it's uses are limited when going last, as those absorb abilities will not get to receive the benefit of being hit with said type. T-wave/Toxic/Rain dance can go in the last slot otherwise.

Adversity wrote:

The Special Sponge:

Aqualos@Leftovers (Volt Absorb)
Bold, 252 HP 160 Sp.D 96 Def
Charge Beam
Agility
Ice Beam
Surf

This set is an amazing sweeper if allowed to set up against anything without Earthquake. Agility the first turn, Charge beam to hopefully net 1-2 special attack boosts, and sweep with Surf. He's completely walled by Blissey, but if he nets himself an Agility and at least one Special Attack boost, he's set to sweep a whole unprepared team. Unfortunately, he has problems with anything that has Earthquake or a strong grass attack, a weakness unfortunately shared by Slowbro.

With a 188 s.atk I find it hard to see it sweeping after a single boost and 2 <70% boosts seems too unreliable. get 48 speed EVs in there to outspeed max Starmie/Azelf after one agility. Try 40HP 92DEF 128S.atk 200S.def 48Spd for better agility and S.atk while still retaining some good special bulk. Hydro pump is also an option for more power but surf is fine too.

Adversity wrote:

The Special Sweeper:

Pyronemus@Life Orb
Timid, 252 Sp.A 252 Spe 4 Sp.D
Hypnosis
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Energy Ball

Yes, it's the standard Smogon set. It works. In Battle Revolution he's been a good lead, Hypnosis the first poke, Nasty plot on the switch, then sweep the 3 Pokemon they have. She works decently in the OU Shoddy Battle environment, landing lots of Flash Fire boosts from the likes of Heatran and Arcanine, while easily beating Swampert and anything Steel-typed. Unfortunately, he's walled by said Heatran that would give her the Flash Fire, whe can then KO with Earth Power.

In PBR hypnosis is a alright option, but in Platinum that acc is quite risky, HP ground can go over hypnosis (assuming you then aim to NP on a switch) and nail heatran or HP rock will do the same to arcanine, gyarados and salamence(whom you'll at least speed tie) switch-ins .

Adversity wrote:

The Physical Sweeper

Thinami@Choice Scarf
Jolly, 252 Spe 252 Atk 4 HP
Hi Jump Kick
Ice Punch
Psycho Cut
Trick

Again, the standard Smogon set, albeit with a very slight variation. I felt that I already had Gyarados covered with Lanturn, so I replaced Thunderpunch with Trick, which can cripple something unprepared and locked into a stat up/status move, and then I'm free to hammer away with any attack. This is definitely the focus of the team; eliminating his counters (i.e. Ghosts). I've never met any team that's prepared for this, and there is no counter to it until it's locked into a move. I fixed this problem by giving him trick.

Looks fine. Zheadbutt can replace Psycho cut for a bit more power and flinch chance. Low kick, although with some power drawbacks on certain pokes, can replace Hi jump kick to be safe from it's massive recoil.

Adversity wrote:

The Secondary Physical Sweeper

Unfall@Scope Lens (Super Luck)
Adamant, 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
Psycho Cut
Sucker Punch
Swords Dance
Superpower

Probably the most unnecessary Pokemon on my team, Medicham does everything he does. He's great for coming in on a Psychic attack, especially scaring away Azelf, threatening a OHKO with Sucker Punch, or can Swords Dance while he switches/U-Turns (Which he sometimes survives). Super Luck, Scope Lens, and Psycho cut give me tons of critical hits, but using him and Medicham seems somewhat redundant.

Looks about as best as Absol can. But since this is the Unnecessary one I'm gonna suggest a different poke here: (assuming your alright with OU pokes)

Gliscor
Hyper cutter @ Leftovers/Salac
Impish 252HP 40Def 216spd
-EQ
-Stone edge/Ice fang (if you really hate flygon)
-Roost/roar
-SD

it'll help with heatran, switch into EQs aimed at lanturn/ninetales well. Salac can outpace gengar and some gyara after a DD and Stone them while hyper cutter will prevent intimidate.

So there's my team, specific problems I've had are Heatran, most Pokemon with Earthquake, Gengar, and Tyranitar. Heatran walls everything except for Medicham and Absol, and he KO's Lanturn before he can Surf. Fast Pokemon with Earthquake such as Choice Scarf Flygon and Swampert can KO Lanturn with ease, Swampert walls everything except for Ninetales' Energy Ball, and it's risky to bring him in. Gengar can Focus Blast Clefable and Absol, Thunderbolt or Dark Pulse Slowbro, and Shadow Ball Medicham, but Medicham usually gets a Psycho Cut in first. Tyranitar has EQ, Dark Pulse/Crunch/Pursuit, and is bulky enough to take anything except Medicham's or Absol's fighting-type attacks. The final problem I have is if a Salamence/Gyarados manages to get a few Dragon Dances, Outrage (in Salamence's case) can sweep my entire team.

Thanks for rating![/quote]

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

That was extremely helpful, but there's one thing that just escapes me.

MasterChef wrote:
HABU-Blackbird wrote:

As said above hariyama can make a good lead, esp. defensive sets. Mail can prevent trickscarf leads who view hariyama as ideal bait. and knock off can be replaced for EQ to finish drapion/nido and other poison who may be drawn in by whirlwind to allow veno to toxic spike without fail.

I'm sorry but, what exactly do you mean with "mail"?

At any rate, thank you very much.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:12 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Thanks so much! One problem though, Slowbro can't learn Thunderbolt. I decided to go with Calm Mind in the last slot. For Medicham though, the 10% boost from Zen Headbutt wasn't worth the 10% drop in accuracy for me, and the critical hit rate makes up for it. One last thing: Do you think Starmie would be a good replacement for Slowbro? I've tried physically bulky variants before, and they are pretty tough to take down. For one thing, they're the same typing, and I also need a rapid spinner. So do you think switching Slowbro out for Starmie would be good?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by Adversity on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Adversity wrote:
Thanks so much! One problem though, Slowbro can't learn Thunderbolt. I decided to go with Calm Mind in the last slot. For Medicham though, the 10% boost from Zen Headbutt wasn't worth the 10% drop in accuracy for me, and the critical hit rate makes up for it. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!

Why was I thinking it learned T-bolt O_o??? Ice beam is best then. With Zheadbutt you also get the 20% flinch which is almost always factored due to scarf, making a free hit 18%(factoring in acc) of the time versus 12.5% 200% crit damage. But yeah the accuracy can cost you as well. :/

HABU-Blackbird wrote:
I'm sorry but, what exactly do you mean with "mail"?

If you give a pokemon mail (Air mail etc.) as a held item it can't be tricked away, so a trickscarfer would be left with his choice scarf and forced to switch out.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next