It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 your job(s) 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

hmm

I think I've got it easy. I work 12 hours a week, at 13p/h which isn't great, but I'm part-time contracted which means I get the exact same hours every week, annual leave (ie get paid for not coming to work) and sick leave (ie cbf coming). I work at a discount department store that's probably the equivalent of Walmart, down at the TV and consoles section. I make up a lot of ****. I feel bad because people are paying $2000 plasma and lcds based on my advice, but I know that if I don't act like I know what I'm talking about customers are ruthless. I feel like I can handle almost any question about TVs now (and I mean handle, not answer correctly)

We are understaffed like crazy so sometimes I get extra checkout shifts which I don't like all much. It's like forced cheerfulness for 5 hours straight (but hey, money is money). They trained me for returns/service desk too but I don't think I'd ever accept shifts there - sure I'd get an override code but I'd get paid the same anyway so it doesn't bother me. Plus I never need to override anything anyway, having one would be an ego boost if anything but I'm not sure if its worth getting yelled at by crying people anyway.

We just put in Christmas stuff last weekend which really got me perplexed.

I'm thinking of finding a new job though. I need to pay for petrol, train/bus tickets, materials for uni, phone as well as the stuff I want. Some of my friends are getting paid at the 22+ mark, hopefully I can move out.

Eventually I want to be an architect of my own private firm, so I'm at university at the moment. It's really hectic. I find if you wanna make the most of uni you gotta invest a lot of cash into it, hence wanting a better paying job. Thinking of telemarketing or something. Everyone at uni wears Lee's and Mooks, I wear bargain t shirts. No one notices, but I do want to feel a little better about myself and this whole fitting in thing.

Past jobs have included work at Pizza Hut, Nandos (kinda like KFC) and a machine operator (that made double sided duct tape). Oh and I tutor at the moment too, its pretty much kids come to my house to do homework whilst I do my own. I reckon the kids don't find it all useful but they'd rather go to me than other people who will force **** down their throats, so they tell their parents I'm like God or something. That's the only reason I can think they keep sending their kids back

(adding more stuff)

! was just reading the topic. Yeah I used to work at the U Serve (its called Self Serve though) too. I didn't mind it, but juggling 6 customers at once is kinda crap. I still have the override code for those machines though haha (I still have to operate them time to time, usually covering breaks or something though).

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

DragonPhoenix wrote:
They trained me for returns/service desk too but I don't think I'd ever accept shifts there - sure I'd get an override code but I'd get paid the same anyway so it doesn't bother me. Plus I never need to override anything anyway, having one would be an ego boost if anything but I'm not sure if its worth getting yelled at by crying people anyway.

I'm totally stoked for my override code, that is, whenever I actually get around to getting it. Really, I should have one now -- I know four or five of them off by heart and I have my own Western Union account number and password. I'm really excited for my customer service job. First shift by myself is the 11th. I'm so excited. :)

Today though... man. When the regular girl went for her lunch she gave me the keys and told me I was in charge of the front end. Not the first time, I'd done this before over lunch breaks and coffee breaks and smoke breaks and bathroom breaks. I was getting good at juggling the whole thing, because, really, it's a lot of juggling. :| The regular lady told me not to let anybody die in the store while she was gone so I did a Western Union, cleaned up a few things, refunded a girl her Jell-o because she doesn't know how to read and was just about to sell some lottery tickets when the screaming started.

Some idiot parents had left three of their kids in the main part of our shopping cart. Apparently they're SOMEWHAT HEAVY when they're all standing in the cart trying to get out, so the cart tipped over and one of the kids -- about four, I'm guessing, I didn't see very well -- fell out of the cart, hit her head on the magazine rack or the cart or the floor. I don't know, I didn't see it, and if somebody told me I don't remember. This happened RIGHT at the front of the store -- the magazine rack was one of the "impulse buy" ones.

I'm used to screaming though so I shrugged it off, sold the guy his lottery ticket and then told the next customer to wait just a minute while I run over and see what happened. There's a few drops of blood on the ground but not much... but this little girl being held by her parents has blood all over her hair, arm, and the drenched piece of paper towel her dad was holding to the back of her head.

I had NO idea what to do. Do I call someone? Who do I call? Should I call 911? Should I give them the first aid kit? Should I do the first aid? I don't remember my first aid training from years ago. Should I take down their name? Their number? I vaguely remembered somebody tripping and falling in our store and our boss giving them a $50 gift card so they wouldn't sue us. Could they sue us?

I settled on giving them a gauze and urging them to go to emerg. When the regular lady got back from her lunch break I explained what happened and told me who I should have called. I went and told him and he yelled at me for not being trained to do that.

So... not the best lunch break ever, nope

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i used to work at an office it was pretty good because i didn't have to work on the weekends or on holidays and the people there were cool and we had 1 hour lunchbreaks whenever you wanted but it was boring and i was in there from 9am til 6pm

Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

freakin Dollar Tree :frustrated: :evil:

MAN DO I HATE THAT JOB :frustrated: :!: :evil:

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:38 pm
Profile YIM
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

my "job" is as an employ of my dads self employed business softech. i work whenever i can or whenever he needs me. i get paid 8 dollors an hour and work weekends. hoping to get a real job soon at the nearby grand union or brooks pharmacy.

Only during the [color=#FFFF00]day[/color] can you truly hide in the [color=#000000]shadows[/color]
help my pokefarm
[url=http://pokefarm.org/_ext/PDZTvDZO5GJmm][img]http://pokefarm.org/_ext/BDZTvDZO5GZs1GROzGQmm[/img][/url]
member of the nuzlock challenge

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2