It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 sibling appreciation thread 
Lite Four
Lite Four

When you were a kid, you most likely had a little brother or sister, or if you were lucky, you had an older one (or you had both!) In this thread we'll talk about our siblings and games we used to play with them.

I have a little brother named Josh. He's 17 now, making him about 3.75 years younger than me. When I was a kid, I was always jealous of the attention he got for being younger, and I frequently told people I hated him. This however, was not the case. Looking back, we were very close, despite frequent feuds.

We did all the typical sibling stuff - even though we were the opposite gender. We played legos, Hotwheels, video games, Barbies, and Beanie Babies. I actually hope he doesn't read this thread, because he'd probably kill me if he knew I was telling people he played with Barbies! Our favorite video games were Streets of Rage 1, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Golden Axe, Banjo Tooie, Super Smash Bros., and South Park 64. Out of those we probably played Super Smash Bros. and Streets of Rage more often, because we could team up against the computer. We never got tired of kicking asses with Axel (me) and Blaze (him), or Yoshi (me) and Pikachu (him).

When I became a teenager, we sorta drifted apart as far as playing video games and stuff goes, but we're still very close. When he was 12 or 13 I almost set the house on fire by accident, and I just happened to do it on a night where my mom got violently drunk. She screamed at me, grabbed me digging her nails into my arm, and probably would've beat the **** out of me if my brother didn't beg her to stop. He pleaded with her, telling her I had enough (because by this time I was sobbing with regret and fear), and she finally had enough reason to stop. Everytime I fight with him now, I think back on that moment when he cared enough to stop my mom from almost killing me, and I know there's someone out there who still cares about me. I don't know what I'd do if something bad happened to my brother, he's really the only person I can talk to when I have a problem.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've got an older brother who's 19 now and a younger sister who's 14, so I'm the middle child at 17.

My brother and I always used to be very close. I always sorta looked up to him and was happy when we could play games and stuff together. I remember we had two games we played A LOT and those were Foosball (or table soccer for those who don't know what that is) and a game we made up called Floor Hockey were we put a desk against one wall as a goal and a hamper and dresser on the other wall as opposing goal posts. We balled up some socks and slapped them back and forth while on our knees trying to score on one another. Always a good time. Nowadays, however, I don't see him anymore for even when he's home from college he's out with his stupid whore of a girlfriend. Sometimes I get really depressed because I can barely talk to him and he's always so intimidated by my intelligence over him that he probably doesn't want to talk anyway.

My sister was the sibling I always fought with. We still bicker constantly to this day and 85% of the time I feel she genuinely hates me and those feelings are reciprocated. However, now that she's a freshman in high school and I'm a senior I feel I have to protect her from the scum at this school and keep her out of trouble because she's not the best decision maker. At any rate my sister and I have never really been that close so I don't have much to say on her. In fact I love my friends more than I love my sister sometimes. Don't judge me either; you know you guys hate your family sometimes, too.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:19 pm
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

I have 3 younger siblings, 2 younger brothers at 12 and 15, and a younger sister at 8, though she'll be 9 in a few weeks.

I used to play with beanie babies, legos, action figures from beetle borgs/power rangers/dragonball z, as well as snes and n64 with my brothers. Though, those toys stopped becoming interesting a little before I entered jr. high, though I of course still play video games. In later elemntary and early jr. high I would battle yu-gi-oh cards with them, but those too stopped being interesting after a while.

My brothers and I generally aren't friendly towards each other anymore. I find it hard to be friendly to my family since it seems we all live life with such a generally negative attitude. It could be that I taught my siblings to be dicks like me and it became too overwhelming for my mother, or something. In any event, I avoid them a lot.

My sister, idk.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I wrote a really long post that made me sound like I was on suicide watch.

summary: being older sucks, my sister's better than me at everything, we talk but most of the time she's a bitch to me (who's watched Greek? or gossip girl? thats basically us...) my mum is the clone of chichi from dragonball (no joke.. I was rewatching some of the eps the other day and some of their lines even match) and my dad is like the asshole at school who always makes snide remarks at you... yeah. (of course I can rant but it won't make sense)

i can't wait to move out but im getting paid 12$ an hour

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

My sister and I always wanted an older sibling (not that we didnt like each other, we just always wanted one to bring us places). We don't though, but I'm sort of glad of that now since we'd be the ones bringing younger siblings places now anyway.

My sister is my twin. I often tell my friends I don't really like her since she can be a bitch, but honestly, I'd hate it if she wasn't around. We have so much in common, and its a bit like always having a friend around. Everyone always says they want a twin since it'd be like having a sleepover every day, but they forget it's a family relationship so it's not as fun, really.

We babysit these two kids, and they're sort of like siblings I guess. Some of our friends are so much older than us that they're like siblings, but..theyre not really good influences. :p

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:35 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have an older brother who is 20 right now. That makes him 5 years older than me. He prefers I stay away from him and his friends, but it doesn't bother me a lot. I prefered when he was home for the pure fact that I wasn't always the center of attention. Now that he's a junior at the University of Maryland, my parents shift their focus on me and it's much harder to get away with stuff.

When we were younger we played all the normal things that kids did: video games on the Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo. We loved those systems and played a ton of sports games on them. We also had huge neighborhood games of flashlight tag and wars. He also got our first Pokemon game, Silver, for Christmas and I accidentally deleted his file when I started a new game; I didn't realize you couldn't have more than one file!

He was also on a travel basketball team and I was the team's "mascot" or "waterboy" when I was 5. I didn't even get them water. I just sat on the bench shot around during pre-game and half-time (parents, ours and other teams', got a kick out of that) and recieved medals and trophies along with the rest of the team. I really enjoyed that.

As my brother got older we sort of grew apart. We barely played video games together and we fought for time on the Xbox. I always tried to stick around with his friends and he just yelled at me. Once he went to college we got a little bit closer, so that's a little better. I mean he comes home every couple of weeks since he's only 30 minutes away, so we do talk more. Especially through Facebook and texting (I only have in-family texting right now).

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:59 am
Profile YIM WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I have one older brother, 25, and one older sister, 21. I lucked out being the youngest; I had two siblings to look up to and to play with whilst growing up.

My sister and I played more together since we were closer in age. We'd play with all sorts of toys; plushies, beanie babies, kitchen littles, fast food chain toys (our favorites were the Backstreet Boys toys from Burger King), etc. Anything was possible when we mixed up toys to create universal crossovers, such as Kevin from the Backstreet Boys meeting Link. As for video games, we usually preferred co-op to versus, although there were exceptions. Some games we've played together off the top of my head: Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Tetris Attack, Kirby Superstar, Sonic 2, Golden Axe Top Gear, Pokemon Stadium 1+2 (minigames), Mario Party 1-3, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong 64 (Jetpac), Mario Kart 64, Harvest Moon 64, Harvest Moon 2 (GBC), Mario Kart: Double Dash, Animal Crossing, Guitar Hero 1-3, Castle Crashers, Rock Band, and countless others.

She and I stopped playing things less once she started high school, and for the last year she was living at home we didn't do much at all together. But now we always enjoy hanging out together and playing some old video games.

As for my brother, since there was a bigger age gap, spent a little less time with me, but when he did, we did more competitive stuff. Even with stuff like Legos, we'd make it competitive by going to "war" with Lego armies. He was the one who got me into video games, actually, since the SNES was his. While we did play plenty of co-op in stuff like Zombies Ate My Neighbors, since most games had versus modes compared to co-op, we spent lots of time in games beating each other. We still have our "Mario VS. Samus" grudge matches in Smash Bros. to this day.

We also liked to rough-house each other. There were plenty of wrestling, boxing, and "street fighting" scraps between us, but it was never out of anger or with the intention of hurting each other. He also let me hang out with his group of friends sometimes, which was amazing to me. One time when my parents were gone, he had to look after me, and one of his friends was having a big pool party, so he just took me along to "watch over me there". He and his friends told me it was cool to push girls into the pool. ;o

When we moved to Wisconsin, though, he lost even more relationships as a teenager than I did as a kid. He became more distant and didn't stay home as much. We played less, and when we did, it was never for long. Finally, when he moved out, we pretty much lost touch, save for occasionally saying hi on the phone. After some of his wild journeys out into the world, he got married and had a kid. He then settled down here in Wisconsin Rapids.

Once my nephew was born, my parents and I started visiting him often. Soon, since I had my license, I started visiting him myself. We started to catch up on the times we missed the past few years. Soon, he and my sister-in-law invited me to come live at their place after I graduated for awhile, which I accepted. If it wasn't for my brother, I'd still be at home on dial-up, occasionally driving back to Marshfield to work at Perkins.

I am moving out of his basement this Thursday, though, so that ends this short chapter of our lives where we lived together. I think it was a great experience, as it let me experience some of the adult life without totally taking the plunge of being alone (that happens later this week). Thankfully, my new apartment is only a few minutes away from him, so I'll still be able to visit him practically whenever I want.

In summary, I love my brother and my sister dearly.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:12 am
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I have one brother who's turning 13 in a few days.

It's kinda weird and hard to explain, but most times I almost feel like I have no siblings at all. Let's just say we've got... family issues.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:24 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Sometimes I wish I had a sibling to appreciate. Sometimes I don't, mostly when I think about expenses, and all the things I did but wouldn't be able to do if I had one.

This "family thing", though, it's irreplaceable, I guess. My family is so small... And it's such a huge difference when I travel to visit my relatives. I have such a great time when there's so many people around.

True, being alone can be eventually good, but there are some disadvantages I guess...

Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:54 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Oh Jeez. My siblings.

I guess my older brother -- three years my senior -- has had much more of an impact on my life than my younger sister. I was a tomboy when I was younger (now I'm much girlier and MUCH more typical, outside of this whole Pokemon thing) so I looked up to my big brother for everything. He was everything I wanted to be when I was older -- smart, funny, popular, good at video games, and, overall, cool. He never really liked me and I spent a lot of my time trying to get him to appreciate me because growing up, he was my idol.

I remember when Zelda: OoT came out. My younger sis and I (but especially me, as she wasn't that into video games) would watch him like we were his own private cheerleaders. I remember during the Bongo Bongo fight actually leaving the room and PRAYING that he'd be able to beat the boss. :|

He used to play a lot of jokes on me too. One day I had turned the bathroom fan on late at night and the noise kept him up, so he to get back at me he told me that it starts fires. The bathroom fan, I mean. Yeah, it's there, but it starts fires. I respected him so I didn't question him. I didn't touch that switch for nearly five years. I think I was actually TWELVE before I thought, hey, yeah, maybe he was lying.

There was another incident where for dinner one night before I was vegetarian, I mixed my roast, potatoes and corn together to make a mini Sheppard's Pie for myself because I didn't like any of the three by themselves. My brother told me not to do that because certain food combinations could kill you. I told him it all ends up in the same place anyway and he said nope, doesn't matter, having all that in your mouth at once could kill you. I didn't believe that one for so long.

After he got arrested, I stopped looking up to him and we talked less and less. I would go weeks or months without saying a word to him. Now he talks to me a little more often and drives my sis and I to school sometimes, but I haven't looked up to him the way I used to for what seems like forever.

But yeah, he's definitely had an impact on who I am.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It's hard to say exactly how I feel about my brothers. My twin brother and I went through the same waxing and waning twin closeness **** most go through. When we were young, we did a lot together. We played video games and with action figures, played outside, blahblahblah... I have a lot of fond memories of that. We're still close, but I can't say we get along as well as we used to or something, idk. My older brother is kind of an asshole, but I think he's mentally ill, as do most people. It's hard to hold his personality against him for that reason, but I still feel it's a little hard to say I actually love him. He was always argumentative, a liar, and a manipulator. He seems worse now though, and I don't enjoy talking to him or hanging around him much. What the hell happened?

My twin step-brothers I like. They're generally pleasant to be around and fun. I don't talk to or spend as much time with them as I'd like. I've known them for most of my life and they've always been decent people.

I also have two step-sisters. They're considerably younger than me, 14 and 16. The 14-year-old is pretty cool, and she's actually fun in a little sister way. The other I've only met a couple times since she lives in Kentucky, so I really don't know her well at all.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:25 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

An extremely low quality picture of my sibling and I. It's hard to believe I'm almost four years older >_>

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I always spend time with my younger brothers and enjoy playing games with them. I just played a 007 game with them for Xbox and kept beating them. So they, (as always), went to quit and stopped playing because they thought I was cheating. Even then, I still enjoy playing games with them. I taught most of the gaming skills I know to them and when we play Halo, I tell the the weak spots on their enemies.

My brothers are mean sometimes but I never take anything mean that they say to heart, because I know they don't mean it. My youngest brother is really mean to me and has a short fuse. He gets angry really easily but I laugh because I can be really annoying. He also has a yeah, whatever attitude that really bothers me. My other brother, who is only a little over a year younger than me, is also hot-headed, but not as much as my younger brother. He is just as much into most of the games I am into. He likes to challenge me alot and sometimes wins.

We bicker like all brothers do, and we stick together too. I try to be an example of good behaviour for them to follow but they don't follow. Like, I never swear,(and crap doesn't count), I never steal, and I try to never do anything to be rude to people.

Overall, I enjoy playing games with my brothers. I will always love them, and am thankful for having them in my life.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
The Geek
The Geek

Your thread makes me sad to be an only child. ;.;

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'll be the younger brother, who you've never seen pictures of, you've always wanted <3 .

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Jigglypuff wrote:
Your thread makes me sad to be an only child. ;.;

You can have my little brother if you want.

But yeah, I have a 14 year old brother who I'm always teasing and such. He can and usually is a nusiance, but I guess that's what little brothers are for. We still play plenty of video games together, it's hard to believe he's already in high school.

I also have a 23 year old sister who already has a baby of her own, so I'm an uncle :D

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

When I was younger my brother and I never got along all that well. I mean we would do stuff with each other, but as always it was the classic sibling rivalry. (Due note I am younger than him by sixteen months and one day). When it came towards video games we would always go different ways, him with the sports games and me with the RPGs and others, our common video game was Pokemon.

Now that we are older, him being nineteen and me coming on my eighteenth birthday, we get along much better. We enjoy quite a number of similar shows, ATHF KOTH The Simpsons South Park etc., so I guess you can call us friends. I guess the thing that prevented us from becoming all that close as kids is because we each had our own friends that were always able to do stuff with us... Though I always looked up to him as a hero, I still do.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:40 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I have two younger brothers at 7 and 9. they both have autism.

They games we play are Mario Kart 64, Kirby airride, Wii sports, and some other games i can't think of.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]