It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 If you had to choose the pokemon mascot..... 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

If you had a time machine that could take you to 1990s Japan when pokemon first started, who would you have picked as the mascot? I made this because though I like pokemon, I don't know exactly why they would choose pikachu.There's really nothing unique about, it doesn't look that cool and he's not super cute. He is a good smash bros. character, even though I'm only ok with him. If I had to pick a mascot I would have picked Mew. It's very cute(well, to me o_0), is very symbolic being having all the pokemon genes, and would have been the rarest pokemon at the time so it would be very trophy like to trainers. Now if you would've chosen pikachu still I want to know why. I like to close this by saying I do not hate pikachu(well, sometimes I do), so don't attack me saying ARGGG YOU PIKA HATER RAAAWW.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think it should of been Magikarp, just because :P

My Soul Silver Team:
{feraligatr} {charizard} {sceptile} {ampharos} {crobat} {scizor}

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:46 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thats creepy... when looking at the title of this thread i thought "Magikarp"...

well, Magikarp or Eevee, i mean really, a game about magical creatures that evolve, why not the evolution master?

I wonder if they'll make Eevee's evolutions evolve one day...

Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:18 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I was actually thinking of Eevee too. I mean in Pokemon XD, you start out with an Eevee that you can evolve into any pokemon you like. Also in Pokemon Yellow, Gary starts with an Eevee because you get Pikachu. Eevee is also one of my favourite pokemon because she (yes, I call cute looking pokemon by 'she' or her.' Force of habit) is very diverse with her eeveelution pool. You also have the option of evolving her into any of the 7 eeveelutions you want.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:15 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I would go with Mew.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I would agree on {mew} as well. what better Pokemon for a Mascot than a Pokemon who can change into any other Pokemon?

Alright whose next to be liberated from freedom?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:04 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Azurera†h wrote:
I would agree on {mew} as well. what better Pokemon for a Mascot than a Pokemon who can change into any other Pokemon?

So what about Ditto?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Hmmm a lump of Gooey Stuff {ditto} vs an Outrageously Cute Pokemon {mew}. Which would you choose? :wink:

Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:19 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Azurera†h wrote:
Hmmm a lump of Gooey Stuff {ditto} vs an Outrageously Cute Pokemon {mew}. Which would you choose? :wink:

Can i choose :wink: ?

{ditto} is pretty awesome, but I dont know about {mew} ...
Shouldn't the mascot be something you can catch in the game?
I think if it's a good mascot, everyone will want one, but with {mew} not everyone can get one.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well then, if you were someone who never played before Pokemon, would you like {mew} more or would you like {ditto} more? Pokemon mascots should look appealing. I certainly don't think {ditto} is very appealing. :wink:

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:02 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I guess that's true, but that only makes me believe {eevee} is the perfect fit. The only pain would be a mascot costume with 4 legs... :P

Now that I think about it a bit more, {chansey} wouldn't be too bad a choice either, because it's the nurse's aid!
Incredably strong, yet gentle and kind, and you find them in any pokemon center! Come to think about it, other than {pikachu} , I think {chansey} is probably the 2nd most featured pokemon, or {meowth} from the anime.

So... yeah!
I still don't think {mew} is right for the job, but it's "if you had to choose" so I won't say you're wrong in you're choice!
I'll just think of the pokemon that I think are better... like {chansey} or {eevee} !

Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Magmar, Jynx, and Electabuzz.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:17 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

There are so many pokemon that represent so many different things that I find it hard to choose just one out of usch a diverse selection. In fact, I think there should be more than one mascot to the pokemon universe. I personally don't think pikachu is a bad chocice, but I would go into more of a direction of Pokemon Trainer from SSBB: that is, one first stage, one second stage, and one third stage pokemon. Not necessarily the starters, however. I think Poliwhirl would be a prime choice for second stage. Poliwhilr is kind of the gray area between tough and cute, so the remaining two slots I would like to be just that; first stage cute, third stage tough. Say perhaps, Bellsprout and Pidgeot? Or maybe for a taste of irony, we could have somthing like Nidoran M and Butterfree (it's hard to find a tough looking first stage). I understand that the thought of having 3 mascots is not the most practical of ideas, but how about this one: NO mascot?

Having a lack of a mascot would simplify things, and would give each individual pokemon more spotlight because there would be less emphasis (they could never be totally equal all 493 of them, not even all 151) on one central pokemon and the series would be seen by less as Pikachu and friends or Ash and Pikachu and friends and more as exactly what it's called: Pocket Monsters. And it would make the guessing game a little bit more fun when trying to figure out which pokemon are going to make their appearances in games that can't fit all 493/151 (Mystery Dungeon, Smash Bros., Ranger, Hey You Pikachu!, you get the point).

Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:41 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm going to have to say, I'm practically a Pika hater. I mean, look at my avatar for heaven's sake!!! Well, actually more a hater of all the pikachu hype. If he was a normal pokemon, I would like him a little more. He is a little too op, also. I know he has lost before, but honestly, I've kind of had enough of him.

I think that Charizard could have made a good mascot. Or Arcanine, he is practically a tiger mascot. They would both have a much cooler image with pokemon. I also think that Magikarp could do a good job. He goes from the most pathetic pokemon in the game to one of the strongest. But the ultimate one would have to be GENGAR!!! He was one of the first pokemon you see in the game, and the only ghost evolution in the series. He will always be my favorite pokemon.

Actually, when I really think about it, I can't see any other pokemon being the mascot. I am too used to seeing Pikachu.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I'm sorry, but Mew would be a terrible mascot. If you guys haven't noticed, Pikachu has been obtainable in every Pokemon game in some shape or form. Mew has been accessible in one game without a Nintendo Event and that was through a freak glitch. A mascot has to be an "everyman" kind of thing... how often do you see one of the most powerful characters as the mascot of a franchise with so many characters? You don't.

Pikachu is a fine mascot. Why? It appeals to the major demographics of the fanbase. Little kids stereotypically like either cute things or cool things, so having a cute, unevolved Pokemon like Pikachu that can suddenly do something cool like let loose a lightning bolt to fry its opponents is as close having the best of both worlds that the marketing people can achieve without having two mascots. Additionally, Pikachu isn't a super-powerful Pokemon so there's no balance or storyline issues in having it appear in every region/video game.

If there's another Pokemon that could work as a mascot as well as Pikachu does, it's probably Eevee. Eevee is cute, there aren't any issues with having it in every set of games (even though it was absent from RSE), and its huge branch of some-cute, some-strong evolutions also demonstrate the evolution aspect of the Pokemon franchise.

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:12 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I would like to say that Horsea would make a good mascot. For the reasons Frost stated. It appeals to the major demographics of the consumer. It has been easily obtainable in all the games. It can do some cool things, like use it's nose as a water canon, and even make ink art (as shown in the episode with Tentacool and Tentacruel).

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

{mewtwo} Because it's cool. :D

Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Can I pick Agumon? If not, I'm gonna go ahead and say Mewtwo. He just looks like a powerful little beast, and that would make me want to play the game.

EDIT: Oh, and Frost, not to contradict you, but if we could've picked a new mascot back in the day, don't you think they would've made it more accesible? Maybe Mew would be a starter in it's own version (Pokemon Pink version). My point is, I don't think we should bother considering, "It's an Event-only Pokemon" since it probably wouldn't be if it became the mascot.

{unown e} {unown m} {unown i} {unown n} {unown j} {unown o} {unown f} {unown i} {unown t}

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:53 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I really have to say either mew or eevee. I think I'm leaning more to mew. Eevee can change into a lot of Pokemon, but mew was the root of all Pokemon. It deserves a lot of credit.

Vid Kid wrote:

{ditto} is pretty awesome, but I dont know about {mew} ...
Shouldn't the mascot be something you can catch in the game?

In the origanal games, you could catch Mew. Nintendo changed it for the American games.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Dan Roswald wrote:
In the origanal games, you could catch Mew. Nintendo changed it for the American games.

This is entirely wrong. Mew has never been available without Nintendo Events (or the Mew glitch in RBY) in any of the main series' games, regardless of country.

And, Emin Jofit, Mew as the Pokemon mascot from the very beginning would need a lot of changes from the current version of Mew that we know now. They'd have to change Mew's stats (all base 100 stats was certainly unbalanced for RBY) as well as its ability to learn every TM and HM for it to be something, like Pikachu, that could believably show up in multiple locations in the games. The fact that it's a rare Pokemon that can only be obtained through Nintendo Events is just another thing that would have to be different about current version of Mew for it to be the mascot, so I mentioned it.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:
Dan Roswald wrote:

This is entirely wrong. Mew has never been available without Nintendo Events (or the Mew glitch in RBY) in any of the main series' games, regardless of country.

My mistake. I heard it from someone else here. The Japan games could get all of the 150 in one game though, right?

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Dan Roswald wrote:
The Japan games could get all of the 150 in one game though, right?

Nope, there were two Japanese versions (Red and Green, which is why the remakes were FireRed and LeafGreen instead of ___Blue, even though the rest of the world got Red and Blue versions), each with their own version exclusives, just like in America. Although I think some of the Pokemon locations were different than the American versions.

Though I'm guessing you thought Mew was in the Japanese version of RB because of that old rumor that said the guy in Celadon Mansion would give you Mew instead of a diploma for completing the Pokedex, yes?

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Frost wrote:
Though I'm guessing you thought Mew was in the Japanese version of RB because of that old rumor that said the guy in Celadon Mansion would give you Mew instead of a diploma for completing the Pokedex, yes?[/color]

...no, never heard of that actually.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]