It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Forum rules

ALL GLORY TO THE FLOATING CLEFFA

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 CELEBRATE! A shrine to Madonnagoddess. (updated to be TL;DR) 
THE POWER IS ON!

Madonna has a career retrospective named Celebration coming out next month. Also, she'll be turning 51 years old in about an hour's time. Because of this, I PAY HOMAGE TO MY LADY.

ALBUM NUMBER ZERO: PRE-MADONNA (JUN. 1997)
01. Laugh To Keep From Crying - <3 <3 <3 .5
02. Crimes Of Passion - <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Ain't No Big Deal '97 - <3 <3 <3 <3
04. Everybody '97 - <3 <3 <3 .5
05. Burning Up '81 <3 <3 <3 .5
06. Ain't No Big Deal '81 <3 <3 <3 .5
07. Everybody '81 <3 <3 <3
08. Stay '81 <3 <3 <3
09. Don't You Know? - <3 <3 <3

Before covering Madonna's official discography, it makes sense to cover this. This is an unauthorized demo album that Steve Bray, Madonna's collaborator, released in 1997. As such, it has a few demos of songs that made her later albums ("Everybody" and "Burning Up"; "Stay," from her second album, is sort of a mix of the "Stay" here and "Don't You Know?"). "Ain't No Big Deal" was originally going to be her first single but stuff happened and it ended up becoming a B-side much later. The most interesting songs on here are "Crimes of Passion" and "Laugh to Keep from Crying," both unreleased, with the latter having a rock sound that Madonna didn't really pursue.

And, yes, I do actually own this album.

ALBUM NUMBER ONE: MADONNA (JUL. 1983)
01. Lucky Star: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
02. Borderline: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
03. Burning Up: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
04. I Know It: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Holiday: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
06. Think of Me: <3 <3 <3
07. Physical Attraction: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
08. Everybody: <3 <3 <3 <3

A sexy album. I'm not a big fan of the cover. The lyrics won't blow your mind at all but I can relate to a lot of the songs. Beyond that, the music is incredible, fresh, danceable and timeless other than maybe one filler track. Nearly every song on this album was released to the clubs, save for "I Know It" and "Think of Me," and those six songs, for the most part, prove that Madonna had what was needed to become successful. She doesn't have a great voice here, but she can sell the songs with her charisma and passion. "Holiday" is considered her signature song and almost everybody knows it even if they don't know that it's a Madonna song. "Holiday," along with "Lucky Star" and "Borderline," were her first top forty singles in America, and all three made the cut for her future compilations. "Burning Up" is probably the closest thing she has to a rock song out of her official releases, too.

ALBUM NUMBER TWO: LIKE A VIRGIN (NOV. 1984)
01. Material Girl: <3 <3 <3
02. Angel: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
03. Like a Virgin: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
04. Over and Over: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Love Don't Live Here Anymore: <3 <3 <3
06. Into the Groove: <3 <3 .5
07. Dress You Up: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!
08. Shoo-Bee-Doo: <3 <3
09. Pretender: <3 <3 <3
10. Stay: <3 <3 <3 <3

A sexy cover. I'm not a big fan of the album. This album is her best-selling studio album, probably because Madonna was a pop phenomenon at the time of its release, but that doesn't mean it's better than any other album in her catalogue. There is simply too much filler and not enough killer material here, although you should at least know the title track. "Material Girl" is a pretty famous song but it's never done much for me; I especially hate how it ended up on future compilations over the superior "Angel" or "Dress You Up." "Into the Groove," which sucks and you shouldn't deny that it sucks, is only on pressings of the album outside of America, but I had to mention how much I dislike the adoration of that song. Also, two of her first ballads are on here. They're not great.

ALBUM NUMBER THREE: TRUE BLUE (JUN. 1986)
01. Papa Don't Preach: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
02. Open Your Heart: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
03. White Heat: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
04. Live to Tell: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
05. Where's the Party: <3 <3 <3 .5
06. True Blue: <3 <3 <3 <3
07. La Isla Bonita: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Jimmy Jimmy: <3 <3
09. Love Makes the World Go Round: <3 <3 .5

A pretty sexy album, even though it falls over and dies after track seven. I'm not a fan of her hair on the cover. With her debut album establishing her career and her second album solidifying her popularity, True Blue is the album where Madonna started to up her game. Her voice is stronger here, and the lyrics move beyond the "Get on the dancefloor!" nonsense that got tired by the end of her second album. "Live to Tell" was her first truly serious, mature song, "Papa Don't Preach" the first truly controversial video and "La Isla Bonita" her first flirtation with Hispanic culture. "Open Your Heart," "White Heat" and "True Blue" are all cute pop songs with strong hooks. With no less than five top 5 hits and two additional songs that are notable in their own ways, it's just a shame that the last two songs on this album suck balls.

ALBUM(S) NUMBER THREE POINT FIVE: WHO'S THAT GIRL - JUL. 1987 (& YOU CAN DANCE - NOV. 1987)
Image Image
01. Who's That Girl: <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Causing a Commotion: <3 <3 <3 .5
03. The Look of Love: <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Can't Stop: <3 <3 <3

(01. Spotlight: <3 <3 <3 <3)

I only mention the first album because DatVu loves Who's That Girl. :O There are five other songs on there but Madonna didn't perform them and most of them suck anyway. Also, the cover is laffoz. "Who's That Girl" is "La Isla Bonita" redux but it's nearly as good. "Causing a Commotion" is a superior "Into the Groove." The other two songs are pretty forgotten, but "The Look of Love" has some nice yearning, mysterious vocals and music. As for You Can Dance, it's a random remix compilation featuring mostly-album cuts from her first three albums but the songs aren't really that remixed. "Spotlight" is the only new song and it's pretty good.

ALBUM NUMBER FOUR: LIKE A PRAYER (MAR. 1989)
01. Like a Prayer: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
02. Express Yourself: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
03. Love Song: <3 <3 <3 .5
04. Till Death Do Us Part: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Promise to Try: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
06. Cherish: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
07. Dear Jessie: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Oh Father: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
09. Keep it Together: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
10. Spanish Eyes: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
11. Act of Contrition: <3 <3 <3 <3

Her best album of the 1980s? You're damn right it is. Like a Prayer, to me, is when Madonna the pop artist truly arrived. This is one of her two most personal albums and it's probably her most adored by fans and critics alike. I'd probably say that it's my third favorite overall, however, but it's still a big step up from her first three. We have some songs about religion (the album opener, potentially "Spanish Eyes" and the album closer), Madonna's family ("Till Death Do Us Part" about her marriage to and divorce from Sean Pean; "Promise to Try" about her mother, who died when Madonna was five; "Oh Father" about the struggles of growing up with her father; "Keep it Together" about her siblings) and some cute songs to keep the mood light (the frothy pop of "Cherish" and the psychedelic lullaby of "Dear Jessie"). Then there's "Love Song," a duet with Prince, which is pretty mediocre, but ten good songs out of eleven isn't bad. To support songs that display more intelligence and humanity than most expected from Madonna, she also put together four popular, infamous and/or touching videos. Here's a sample of an infamous one: Image

~TO BE CONTINUED :!:~

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not a big fan of Madonna.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

ALBUM NUMBER FIVE: I'M BREATHLESS (MAY 1990)
01. He's a Man: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
02. Sooner or Later: <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Hanky Panky: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
04. I'm Going Bananas: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Cry Baby: <3 <3 <3 .5
06. Something to Remember: <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Back in Business: <3 <3 <3 .5
08. More: <3 <3 <3
09. What Can You Lose?: <3 <3 <3
10. Now I'm Following You (Part 1): <3 <3 <3 <3
11. Now I'm Following You (Part 2): <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
12. Vogue: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!

In 1990, Madonna was dating Warren Beatty, who was set to star in a movie version of Dick Tracy, so she ended up playing a character called Breathless Mahoney in the movie as well. To support the movie, Madonna made this album, which is somewhere between a full-fledged studio album, a soundtrack and a novelty. There's three songs written by Stephen Sondheim ("More," "What Can You Lose?" and "Sooner or Later," which won the Oscar for Best Song) and all of the songs have a very retro, Broadway style. The songs on album are so much fun, from "Cry Baby" and its hilarious mock-sobbing to "Hanky Panky" and Madonna's yearning for a good spanking to "I'm Going Bananas" and how poor little Madonna feels like her mind is being devoured by piranhas. The last two songs, which are the best of the album, break the style and are pretty early 90's dance-influenced, with "Now I'm Following You" revealing Madonna's obsession with Dick. *cough* :O Also, if you don't know "Vogue," you deserve to be slapped. Pelli, because he has magnificent taste, does know and enjoy "Vogue."

GREATEST HITS ALBUM ONE: THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION (NOV. 1990)
12. Like a Prayer: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
13. Express Yourself: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!
15. Vogue: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
16. Justify My Love: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
17. Rescue Me: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

To be completely honest, The Immaculate Collection has some sort of god-like status among critics and casual Madonna fans because it assembles all of her killer hit songs from the 80s (there were a lot of them); however, I actually don't like the album much because the twelve other songs that I didn't list and rate here were remixed, edited down and sound absolutely terrible. For some brilliant reason, Madonna and her team of producers decided to mix the album in Q-Sound, best known as the technology used to create music in the Street Fighter II arcade cabinets, and the result is some pretty damn flimsy music. The new songs, "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me," which were both top ten hits, luckily do not suffer despite being mixed in Q-Sound. "Vogue" was only slightly remixed and lengthen, while "Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" are completely remixed, with the former being as good as the album version and the latter surpassing it. Other than these five songs, however, you'd be doing yourself a great disservice to listen to these shitty versions of classic songs that have far superior album versions.

ALBUM NUMBER SIX: EROTICA (OCT. 1992)
01. Erotica: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Fever: <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Bye Bye Baby: <3 <3 <3 <3
04. Deeper and Deeper: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
05. Where Life Begins: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Bad Girl: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!!!! (BEST MADONNA SONG EVER.)
07. Waiting: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
08. Thief of Hearts: <3 <3 <3 <3
09. Words: <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Rain: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
11. Why's it So Hard: <3 <3 <3 .5
12. In This Life: <3 <3 <3 <3
13. Did You Do It?: This song deserves no hearts. I like to pretend that it doesn't actually exist. (WORST MADONNA SONG EVER.)
14. Secret Garden: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5

"Justify My Love," which was an overtly sexual song with a video that exploded with controversy, became Madonna's ninth number-one hit. The result? For her next album, Madonna decides to becomes a mechanical, bisexual, bitchy whore; she adopts a dominatrix persona named "Dita" and cranks her sexuality up to 11. She makes an X-rated video for the title track, an X-rated coffee table companion book called Sex and stars in an X-rated companion movie called Body of Evidence. The result is that Madonna is slammed by critics for her icy, calculating use of sex and nudity and the album doesn't sell as much as expected even though "Erotica" and "Deeper and Deeper" are both top ten hits. "Bad Girl," Madonna's best song and video, is considered a flop despite being a top 40 hit and it takes "Rain" to soften Madonna's image and give her a commercial rebound. The rest of the album is very early 90's house-inspired, very gay-friendly and very outspoken, even though the media firestorm caused people to assume that the album was actually way dirtier than it really is. I think it's really good.

ALBUM NUMBER SEVEN: BEDTIME STORIES (OCT. 1994)
01. Survival: <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Secret: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!
03. I'd Rather Be Your Lover: <3 <3 <3 .5
04. Don't Stop: <3 <3 <3
05. Inside of Me: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Human Nature: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
07. Forbidden Love: <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Love Tried to Welcome Me: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
09. Sanctuary: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Bedtime Story: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
11. Take a Bow: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

After the backlash surrounding Erotica had blown up in her face, Madonna's career received its first set-back and, as a result, she decided that she needed to soften her image. In other words, Madonna decides to "sell out" and hooks up famous producers Dallas Austin and Babyface to make a contemporary R&B album. "Secret," an acoustic soul delight, is the first single and hits #3, and then "Take a Bow" hits number-one and stays there for seven weeks, becoming Madonna's biggest American chart hit to this day (yes, it was bigger than songs like "Like a Virgin," "Like a Prayer" and "Vogue" and you might not even know it exists!). Much of the album features heartbroken ballads that display Madonna's range as a singer and songwriter. However, "Bedtime Story" is trancey, trip-hip sort-of duet with Bjork featuring an otherworldly video that becomes Madonna's first single to miss the top forty, with "Human Nature" and "Survival" demonstrate that Madonna was actually angry and unapologetic for the backlash regarding Erotica. Madonna selling out never sounded so good (at that point).

GREATEST HITS NUMBER ONE POINT FIVE: SOMETHING TO REMEMBER (NOV. 1995)
01. I Want You: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
02. I'll Remember: <3 <3 <3 <3
04. You'll See: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
05. Crazy for You: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
06. This Used to be My Playground: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Love Don't Live Here Anymore (remix): <3 <3 <3
11. One More Chance: <3 <3 <3
14. I Want You (Orchestral Version): <3 <3 <3 <3

With Bedtime Stories doing its part in repairing her commercial viability, Madonna takes the next step and releases a compilation of ballads, partially because she really wants to be Eva Peron in a then-upcoming movie and thinks that the collection could convince the director to pick her for the role while helping to prepare to the public for the image change. Something to Remember is probably the best of Madonna's compilations as the songs are completely unchanged from their album versions (except for "Love Don't Live Here Anymore") and she made sure to include all of her best slower material, such as "Live to Tell," "Rain" and "Oh Father." It also features three news songs, including the spectacular Massive Attack collaboration and Marvin Gaye cover "I Want You," and a bunch of soundtrack cuts including "This Used to be My Playground," "Crazy for You" and "I'll Remember," three of Madonna's biggest chart hits. My only real gripe is that "Bad Girl" was punished for its failure and left off. Bitch deserves to be slapped for omitting it.

ALBUM NUMBER SEVEN POINT FIVE: EVITA SOUNDTRACK (OCT. 1996)
05. Eva and Magaldi / Eva Beware of the City: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Buenos Aires: <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Another Suitcase in Another Hall: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
11. I'd Be Surprisingly Good for You: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
14. A New Argentina: <3 <3 <3 <3
16. Don't Cry for Me Argentina: <3 <3 <3 <3
19. Rainbow High: <3 <3 <3 .5
21. The Actress Hasn't Learned the Lines (You'd Like to Hear): <3 <3 <3
26. Waltz for Eva and Che: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
28. You Must Love Me: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
29. Eva's Final Broadcast: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
31. Lament: <3 <3 <3 <3

Something to Remember works and Madonna wins the role of Evita in the musical feature film of the same name. Madonna, who is infamously known as a horrible actress and mediocre technical singer, surprises everybody with her range as both a singer and an actress while playing the role of Eva Peron, late First Lady of Argentina. "You Must Love Me" is the second Madonna song to win an Oscar and, really, Madonna's performance in the movie/soundtrack is all-around top notch, especially toward the movie's climax. There's 31 songs on this soundtrack, some of which not even featuring Madonna's character, and I'm not freaking rating all of them*, so I listed the ones that mainly feature Madonna.

* - This stance could be changed if DatVu wants me to rate the entire soundtrack, because I'm sure he's the only one here other than me who's even seen the damn movie.

ALBUM EIGHT: RAY OF LIGHT (MAR. 1998)
01. Drowned World/Substitute for Love: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
02. Swim: <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Ray of Light: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
04. Candy Perfume Girl: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
05. Skin: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Nothing Really Matters: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
07. Sky Fits Heaven: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Shanti/Ashtangi: <3 <3 <3 <3
09. Frozen: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
10. The Power of Good-Bye: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
11. To Have and Not to Hold: <3 <3 <3 <3
12. Little Star: <3 <3 <3
13. Mer Girl: <3 <3 <3 <3

After Evita, Madonna pops out a baby and stops acting like a controversial whore. She begins to rethink her life after becoming a mother and starts studying many world religions, particularly Kabbalah, which will not be mentioned in this thread again after this, and starts writing a new album. She collaborates with electronic producer William Orbit and is the final result her best album of the 1990's, which would be high enough praise? Nope. IT'S HER BEST ALBUM EVER. Ray of Light is a reflection of Madonna's life at forty, beginning with her first (and only lyrically good) confession about the price of being famous with "Drowned World" and ending with a dedication to her daughter in "Little Star" and a mood piece about her life, her mother and her daughter in "Mer Girl." Most of the songs on Ray of Light have a curiously dark aura to them but, for the most part, the songs are still positive and uplifting. "Frozen" is an amazing display of Madonna's improved vocal range, "Ray of Light" is a high-energy masterpiece, "Nothing Really Matters" is an enlightening club smash and "Skin" and "Candy Perfume Girl" are highly sensual non-standard dance songs. Ray of Light has incredible music, incredible vocals, incredible lyrics, incredible videos, an incredible album cover and I can keep going here. Krisp, because she has great taste, likes the song "Ray of Light."

~ TO BE CONTINUED :!:~

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:11 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

ALBUM EIGHT POINT FIVE: THE NEXT BEST THING SOUNDTRACK (FEB. 2000)
04. American Pie: <3 <3
10. Time Stood Still: <3 <3 <3 .5

After Evita, Madonna stars in some movie where she has a baby with her gay best friend or some crap. She only contributes two songs to the soundtrack and one of them is a pretty embarrassing cover of a tired, annoying classic rock song that I hate anyway. "Time Stood Still" is another collaboration with William Orbit. It's not as good as most of the Ray of Light material, but it's worth the $2 that I paid to buy the soundtrack at least.

ALBUM NINE: MUSIC (SEPT. 2000)
01. Music: <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Impressive Instant: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
03. Runaway Lover: <3 <3 <3 <3
04. I Deserve It: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Amazing: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Nobody's Perfect: <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Don't Tell Me: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!
08. What it Feels Like for a Girl: <3 <3 <3 <3
09. Paradise (Not for Me): <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Gone: <3 <3 <3 <3

Madonna pops out another baby and changes her image yet again, this time becoming a cool alternative cowgirl. Her last US #1 hit to date, the decent-but-not-mindblowing title track, ensues. After Ray of Light, Madonna decides to back off from the personal revelations and, as such, much of Music is pretty light and fluffy. Strangely, it wavers between then-modern electronica music (the title track, "Impressive Instant," "Runaway Lover" and "Amazing" all have electronic blips and blops spilling all over them) and folky acoustic songs about how much she loved her then-husband Guy Ritchie, her children and her dignity ("I Deserve It" and "Gone"). "Nobody's Perfect" and "Paradise" are the mid-point, with a lot of vocoder effects on Madonna's voice and acoustic guitars. "Don't Tell Me" was the other big hit on the album and it's easily the best song here, being a hybrid of stop-and-go country guitar, orchestral strings, dance beats and poetic lyrics. Music is solid, as there are no bad songs but few standouts. Krisp likes the song "Don't Tell Me" because she has incredible taste in music. :O

GREATEST HITS NUMBER TWO: GHV2 (NOV. 2001)
08. Beautiful Stranger: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!

Yes, the cover is nothing but a picture of her damn face, which is pretty funny. Eleven years to day after Madonna released The Immaculate Collection, and after the turbulent times her career that had endured through the nineties, she decides to release another compilation. Because she was on her Drowned World Tour in support of her two latest albums and working on another horrible movie at the time of GHV2's release, Madonna wanted to name this collection "Lazy," and it does kind of show: 15 songs released between 1992 and 2001 are featured here, with no new tracks and only two that weren't on a studio album (and the second one was "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" from Evita). Still, while the songs are edited down for time and there is no new material, what IS on GHV2 doesn't sound like crap, unlike the Immaculate Collection, so I'll take pride in being the only person who actually prefers GHV2 to its ugly predecessor.

ALBUM NUMBER TEN: AMERICAN LIFE (APR. 2003)
01. American Life: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Hollywood: <3 <3 <3 <3
03. I'm So Stupid: <3 <3 <3 .5
04. Love Profusion: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Nobody Knows Me: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. Nothing Fails: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Intervention: <3 <3 <3 <3
08. X-Static Process: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
09. Mother and Father: <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Die Another Day: <3 <3 <3 <3
11. Easy Ride: <3 <3 <3 <3

"Die Another Day," the Bond theme, is released toward the end of 2002 and, enjoying the pro-Madonna wave after Ray of Light and Music, becomes another top ten hit. But in the global landscape, America declares war on terrorism and troops are being deployed to Iraq. Madonna, in a timely persona change, becomes a stern, cranky, anti-war, anti-George W. Bush sea hag. She puts together a highly violent and political video for "American Life" that would have, undoubtedly, led to the biggest blow-out her career. Madonna then does something she had never done before: she backs down and withdraws the video days before its debut. The move does nothing to change Madonna's political stances, though, and the media and public drop her ass like a bad habit, resulting in her poorest-selling studio album and leading her to suck face with Britney and Christina at the VMAs. The album itself is much in the same vein of Music, as Madonna worked with the same producer, but it straddles more toward the acoustic, folky side than the electronic one. And, like Erotica, the firestorm surrounding the lead single misled the public into thinking the rest of the album is as controversial and outspoken when it isn't.

Jigglypuff likes the song "Die Another Day," so that's worth something at least.

ALBUM TEN POINT FIVE: REMIXED & REVISITED (NOV. 2003)
01. Nothing Fails [Nevins Mix] - <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Love Profusion [Headcleanr Rock Mix] - <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Nobody Knows Me [Mount Sims Old School Mix] - <3 <3 <3
04. American Live [Headcleanr Rock Mix] - <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Like a Virgin/Hollywood Medley [Live at the 2003 VMAs] - <3 <3
06. Into the Hollywood Groove [The Passengerz Mix] - <3 <3
07. Your Honesty - <3 <3 <3 .5

To try to revive American Life, Madonna later released this EP during the same year. It has nice dance-rock remixes of "Love Profusion" and "Nothing Fails" as well as a hilarious trainwreck 80's hair-metal remix of "American Life." The revisiting is a bunch of crap, including a live track of the VMA performance where Madonna and Britney tongue kiss, a pathetic Hollywood/Into the Groove mash-up jingle for The Gap, and an unreleased track from Bedtime Stories. It flops even harder than the album it was meant to support.

ALBUM ELEVEN: CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR (NOV. 2005)
01. Hung Up: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Get Together: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!
03. Sorry: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
04. Future Lovers: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
05. I Love New York: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
06. Let It Will Be: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
07. Forbidden Love: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
08. Jump: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!
09. How High: <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Isaac: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
11. Push: <3 <3 <3 <3
12. Like it or Not: <3 <3 <3 <3
13. Fighting Spirit: <3 <3 <3 .5

If Ray of Light wasn't a part of my life for two years longer, this would be my favorite Madonna album. It's her best album cover and is featured on the wall of my bedroom (proof here). Anyway, after American Life flopped, Madonna became desperate for the public to love her again, so she decided to go back to her dance roots; in other words, she "sells out" yet again and makes a pure disco delight. From the "I Feel Love"-inspired "Future Lovers" to the icy "Forbidden Love" to the world music chanting of "Isaac," every incredible song on Confessions goes by in a whirlwind of strobe lights, with each song transitioning into the next one like a continuous DJ mixed tape. Confessions has personal significance to me because "Hung Up" was released when I developed my first crush, "Sorry" came along just as I realized nothing would ever happen between us, "Get Together" became a single just after I graduated high school and needed a chill-out song and "Jump" showed up just as I started my first year of college. DatVu likes many songs from this album because he has excellent taste. And many other PsyPoke members, including AngrySparrow, Swift and Amphy, like the song "Hung Up" because they're only sane.

LIVE ALBUM ONE: I'M GOING TO TELL YOU A SECRET (JUN. 2006)

After American Life flops, Madonna decides to go on a Greatest Hits tour. She does a few songs from American Life, but the Re-Invention Tour is different from all of Madonna's tours before or since in that the setlist is focused less on her latest album and more on her entire career. Because she made a made a successful documentary about her 1990 Blond Ambition World Tour, she decided to make a second one for the Re-Invention Tour, which came with a CD featuring live tracks of about half of the set. What she picked isn't that great, including: robotic (and lip-synced) versions of "Die Another Day" and "Vogue"; an awful studio demo of "I Love New York"; a tepid, mid-tempo "Like a Prayer" followed by the crowd snoring against a cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" (yes, SERIOUSLY); and, I kid you not, "Into the Groove" on bagpipes. The songs that get the respect they deserve are mostly American Life cuts. Skip it.

LIVE ALBUM TWO: THE CONFESSIONS TOUR (JAN. 2007)
I'm Going to Tell You a Secret was released in the middle of 2006, while Madonna was on her Confessions Tour in support of Confessions on a Dance Floor. Hilariously, this DVD came out at the beginning of 2007, meaning that Madonna had put out two live albums in the span of about six months. Regardless, the Confessions Tour has a much stronger set listing and features better reinterpretations. Among the greatness is an updated "Like a Virgin"; a more tropical "La Isla Bonita"; mash ups of "Music" and "Disco Inferno" as well as "Future Lovers" and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love"; and a version of "Erotica" based on the demo version, named "You Thrill Me." It's more worth your money but, once again, the CD selections leave out many songs from the set (including her performance of "Live to Tell" while strapped to a disco light crucifix, even though the interlude leading up to the performance IS LEFT ON THE CD WTF).

ALBUM TWELVE: HARD CANDY (APR. 2008)
01. Candy Shop: <3 <3 <3 .5
02. 4 Minutes: <3 <3 <3 <3
03. Give it 2 Me: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
04. Heartbeat: <3 <3 <3 <3
05. Miles Away: <3 <3 <3 <3
06. She's Not Me: <3 <3 <3 <3
07. Incredible: <3 <3 .5
08. Beat Goes On: <3 <3 <3 <3 .5
09. Dance 2night: <3 <3 <3 <3
10. Spanish Lesson: <3 <3 <3 .5
11. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!
12. Voices: <3 <3 <3 <3
13. Ring My Bell: <3 <3 <3

Like Bedtime Stories before it, Confessions does incredible damage control and Madonna is loved once again. However, Americans other than gay men don't really care about europop, disco and trance so Madonna, as a result, hooks up with a bunch of American hip hop producers/artists du jour (including Timbaland, Danja, Kanye West and Pharrell.... Justin Timberlake shows up too) to get on the US charts, which she achieves when "4 Minutes" by Justin Timberlake and Timbaland featuring Madonna hits #3. ;o Madonna just doesn't sound natural chanting dumb "hip" phrases like "Get stupid" on the otherwise-great "Give It 2 Me" or "See my booty get down like" on the alright "Heartbeat." It's her worst album since Like a Virgin, with "Spanish Lesson" being a hilariously Spanglish trainwreck and "Incredible" an overlong mess, but there's some material that legitimately great here. "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Miles Away" foreshadow Madonna's divorce from Guy Ritchie and she's able to keep up with her special guests on both "Beat Goes On" and "Dance 2night."

Also, yes, I'm aware that the album cover is horrifying.

GREATEST HITS NUMBER THREE: CELEBRATION (SEPT. 2009)
01. Celebration: <3 <3 <3 <3
02. Revolver: ?

I love this damn cover. Anyway, this will be a career retrospective that will finish Madonna's contract on her record label of the last 27 years. It will come in 1 or 2 CD varieties (I'll get the 2CD set) and will be accompanied with a DVD collection too. It will have two new songs but the tracklisting isn't officially revealed yet, so there's not much more to say.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Immaculate Collection is <3

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Confessions On A Dance Floor is easily my favourite album. All of its singles were really good.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Please to forgive me, I not have read any of words in this here topic but I do beleive this is the positng of the attractive womens thread?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Well, it was until you decided to post a picture of some drunk bitch in a bikini. Queer.

Carry on*.

* - I reserve the right to delete garbage posts that don't meet my standards (or Madonna's).

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:56 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

And it's still sad that I could hardly name ten of her songs. I'm a terrible gay D:

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Swift wrote:
And it's still sad that I could hardly name ten of her songs. I'm a terrible gay D:

A nameless person in the chat room can name ten.

Amphy could name ten.

DatVu can probably name fifty.

These people aren't even gay. YOU SHAME US ALL, NICHOLAS!

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

im more of a kylie person =S

Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Who is this Madonna guy?

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I can honestly say I don't think I've every listened to a Madonna song while aware that the song was by her.

Skull Kid wrote:
Who is this Madonna guy?

I'll translate that into an image for everyone:

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

AFK. ;o

Also, Joey: Matt and I played Madonna songs one night in Indiana. You were probably long drunk at the time, though. :(!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]