It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Rival in HG/SS 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

There was something I realized while replying to a thread in the forums for the old GSC games, and it made me wonder.

In all other Pokemon games you have an idea of the story behind your rival and their background. Gary in RBY is the grandson of Professor Oak. In RSE, Wally is a sick boy with family in Verdanturf; Meg/(Boy character whose name I can't remember) is the daughter/son of Professor Birch. In DPP, your rival is the son of the Battle Tower Tycoon.

In GSC there was never really any understanding of who your rival was, or any knowledge of his background. I know he is a little darker character than all the other rivals, and is on purposely meant to be mysterious, but I was thinking that it would be cool if in the new releases there was some kinda information thrown into the game concerning your rivals past and history.

Does anyone share these sentiments?

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:49 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah, I think that would be pretty cool if they threw in some more gossip about the rival. He was my favourite after all, and I for one don't favour the others. Gary/Blue comes second.

I always thought he was like the lost son of Giovanni (since he abandons Team Rocket, maybe his secret family, too???), but that's the popular theory.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:17 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Well according to this one manga, Pokemon Special or something you're right Crunchy, the GSC Rival is Giovanni's son. But then again Pokemon Special isn't cannon to the games at all. I hope they build a little more on Jhoto's story in the remakes, this is just one example of how they can do so.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:38 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Yeah, well in a lot of the Mangas, members of the Elite Four are evil...and apparently there is blood in Pokemon. I would consider the Mangas a COMPLETELY different cannon than the Games.
However, they could use that plotline in the new games. I'm curious if the games will stick with the "three years" after Red/Blue (therefore FR/LG). Which will probably be the case. Maybe, however, they can tell more on where Giovanni has vanished too...That would be cool. But who knows, we still have about a year before they come out.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

The Manga are a different canon from the game, yes, but all signs point to the GSC Rival being Giovanni's son.

* In FRLG, Giovanni's kid is said to have red hair. This eliminates everybody but Silver, Lance (who is too old), Flannery (who is from a distant region) and Misty.
* Silver expresses his dislike for Team Rocket on multiple occasions in the video games and Giovanni is conveniently absent from those games.
* Despite this, Silver had beliefs similar to TR's regarding Pokemon (he steals two Pokemon in the game, he only cares about powerful Pokemon, etc.)
* Giovanni and Silver being related in the manga seems like too much of a coincidence considering the above pieces of evidence.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:38 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I believe Flannery says she took over for her Grandfather, and we haven't heard about Giovanni's father in the games or show. Also, I think Misty's parents were mentioned in an episode before. FR/LG really convinced me when I got to that part.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:53 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I also hope that they will mention the rival's background in HG/SS.
I always think that he is Giovanni's son.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

True, all the signs point to these facts. However, if they are all true, why can't they expand on the history or background of Silver? I mean, is it really too much to ask?

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well, pokemon isn't really a story based game so if anything would come up about Silver I would expect it to be minor like what they did with Cyrus.That's my take on it anyway.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I just assumed he was a criminal, considering he STOLE {insert starter pokemon here}. But other than that, they don't say anything else.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:44 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

just_chillin wrote:
Well, pokemon isn't really a story based game so if anything would come up about Silver I would expect it to be minor like what they did with Cyrus.That's my take on it anyway.

Pokemon isn't a story game!? Are you kidding!? I mean its not like some games that are REALLY deep in story. But there are plenty of story elements.
In Platinum you know at least of who your rivals father is (Battle Tycoon). And I guess I can understand that the developers might want to keep Silver as and ambiguous figure...but still it would be nice to have some more then just that he hates Team Rocket....and blah blah blah

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:45 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I always thought that he was a foreigner cuz...well yeah i just thought of another thing that links him to being Giovanis son: why would he steal a pokemon in New Bark Town, especially if its the place where the weakest pokemon are, if he live in Johto he wouldve stole a pokemon somewhere else, somewhere with stronger pokemon. but he did chose New Bark and he really wanted one right away, and what is right next to New Bark? Kanto, where Giovani always was throught all of the games and more than likely lived, you can easily assume Silver live in Kanto which gives a higher possibility of the thoery of Silver being Giovanis son being correct

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:17 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I've always wondered what the rival's name was. I drove me nuts how he always said, "My name is ???." It would be nice to have a little more verification about him or at least his name.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

You create your rival's name in every game.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I only remember naming the GBC rivals, but I think most people kinda know who Gary is before you play the game, you know?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Dan Roswald wrote:
I only remember naming the GBC rivals, but I think most people kinda know who Gary is before you play the game, you know?

I'm not too sure about that. What about the people who played the games in 1996/8? BEFORE the anime?

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I also remember a Rocket Grunt from LG/FR saying Giovanni's kid had red hair. Since he(the Rival) stole a Pokemon, thinks very closely to a Rocket himself (only cares about STRONG Pokemon), and somewhere in GSC, he said something like "Pokemon don't need love" or something close to that, he does sound quite a lot like Giovanni. He also wants to stop Team Rocket by himself.

So maybe, (a made up on the spot background story by me), Giovanni ignored his son while he worked on building and plotting with Team Rocket. Giovanni then leaves Team Rocket forever. The son, (three years later), steals a Pokemon, catches and trains more Pokemon for his team to become the strongest Pokemon Trainer in the World and blah blah. He hears about Team Rocket getting back together, (although they were just working secretly without a boss), and then Team Rocket wanting to find their boss. The Rival then wants to stop Team Rocket out of anger.

That's all I'll type for now because you must be getting the picture by now. So he hates Team Rocket and that's my made up reason.
I didn't copy anything I have read or seen because I don't read Pokemon Manga and I don't remember this being on the series.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:52 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

All signs point to him being Giovanni's son, the evidence is right there.

Or he could just be a redheaded stepchild which Giovanni hated

Still I liked the mystique of the rival in G/S/C, of you not knowing anything about him which let you created your own little back story for him.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well I just got information about your rivals dad. Message me if you want to know whether he is or is not Silver's father since it is a spoiler so... yeah who wants t know?

Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:25 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'll save everyone the trouble of a PM.

Warning: SPOILERS BELOW

------------------------

From Bulbapedia:

Giovanni appears in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. If the player takes a promotional Celebi to the Ilex Shrine in Ilex Forest, Celebi will take the player and their friend back in time to see Giovanni abandon his son, Silver, to go on a quest to become stronger. Celebi will then take the player forward in time to fight Giovanni in a secret hideout to prevent him from reuniting with the Rocket Executives calling out to him from the Goldenrod Radio Tower.

------------------------
Looks like the majority was right; Silver is Giovanni's son.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I heard that Celebi few days ago... I think considering the previous hints, this wasn't so unexecpted.

If you have any problems with breeding, Egg moves, IV:s or EV:s, you can ask me. Feel free to ask other things related to competive battling.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:39 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The truth revealed:

http://tinyurl.com/rivaltruth

Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:12 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Since the ever so mysterious question of all time has been forever answered, this thread can close I guess.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 23 posts ]