It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 DS Lite Repairs 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So I had some plastic things on my DS that protect the area around the buttons from becoming scratched, but they got scratched instead and looked really ugly. So I peeled them off, but they left a residue. I used a damp paper towel and dish soap to get it off. but, some water dribbled down in between the buttons and now the touch screen does not work. For a while it had a dark blotch in the left hand corner, but that is now gone. The touch screen still does not work, so I looked on nintendo.com, and the repair price was 75$ :( So is there a way to repair without sending it in to nintendo?

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:46 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Using dishsoap to get off residue on your DS? Epic fail, kid.

I'm browsing eBay, and finding lots of screens from Hong Kong (which I do NOT advice you to buy.) Here is a decent looking auction. This guy has a lot of negative feedback (while still being outweighed by positive) and while his items are dirt cheap, I still smell a Hong Kong scammer.

You should browse eBay, stay clear of ANY Chinese items, and find a somewhat cheap screen. Be warned though, the touch screen on the DS is VERY difficult to replace. And yeah, doing this is probably better than getting a repair from Nintendo (when you could just buy a new DS with that money.)

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The dish soap actually does work, it just takes a while. Is it possible to order a nintendo liscensed screen, or is that as much as having them repair it?...when do custom ranks come out...

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:36 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Cactuar wrote:
The dish soap actually does work, it just takes a while.

Never use cleaning agents that are specified for select items on other things, especially electronics. The results usually aren't good.

I honestly think that if your Lite's touch screen is indeed busted for good and you really don't want to send it to Nintendo, you might be better off investing towards getting a new or working used Lite. Forgive me for saying so, but I don't think buying a second-hand screen and attempting to fix it yourself will go well.

So I recommend one of these two choices:

1. Send it in to Nintendo and have them repair it if you can be patient for the repairs.

2. Invest in a new Lite or shop around for a used Lite that is in working condition.

Cactuar wrote:
...when do custom ranks come out...[/size]

Every time someone asks, the date gets pushed back. :O

Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

It's going to happen when hell freezes over

i.e. never

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Ah, I see...I just want to get rid of this rank...Anyways, thank you, I'll probably get a used one, or depending on what I find, I may get a replacement lite from nintendo. (Only 85$, if you have proof of purchase on the old one or something like that.)

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]