It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 A pokemon game i decided to make... 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Alright, so after playing pokemon ranger i got to thinking "wow, this is almost how pokemon should have been... if only it was more like the original pokemon games." so i decided to do just that. Right now I'm nearing completion of the first demo version. I made a little teaser if anyone is interested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ4e-zDYsIA ...Anyway, my main reason for starting this thread is to get opinions of how you guys think it should play(like how large scale attacks should be), and any/all storyline suggestions would be largely appreciated :mrgreen: . As of right now the title is also still undecided, suggestions on that would be useful as well.

UPDATE:
Mkay, so i just finished the Demo version for anyone that is still interested you can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9T0CZHIK please tell me what you guys think, as well as any suggestions for storyline/attack suggestions/anything else are still hugely appreciated.

Last edited by dragon0010 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:30 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have had similar ideas for a real time MMO using pokemon in real time...

If you want to develop your teaser better, though, you should include an animated part of a battle rather than just screenshots. Or possibly make a demo version so users can try out a battle.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:54 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

sorry about not posting this before, but this is a video of the game in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgfGnocnG60 i just didn't think it did it justice because my computer couldn't really handle the game and the screen recording program very well.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:16 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

That makes it look better.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the battle system. If a single-target move such as Ember is used, is it directed at the target, or is there a possibility of missing when the opponent is moving around? Also, what is the range for special single-target moves such as Water Gun?

Shinies

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:51 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

because this type of battle system hasn't really been done before, i had to kinda break away from the original definitions of accuracy. like for ember, it's accuracy is 100, and in game all pokemon games it hits 95% of the time. Then i got to thinking, ember in real life seems like it would be a ranged attack, along with most other special attacks. After some consultation with my friends after they tried it, i came to the conclusion that if ranged attacks auto-targeted, they would be way too broken and make physical attacks useless. Or at least that was my reasoning...

Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:50 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

dragon0010 wrote:
Then i got to thinking, ember in real life seems like it would be a ranged attack, along with most other special attacks. After some consultation with my friends after they tried it, i came to the conclusion that if ranged attacks auto-targeted, they would be way too broken and make physical attacks useless. Or at least that was my reasoning...

I'm not criticizing, only wondering if you have a more detailed explanation of the battle system and how to battle. You would have to write one for potential players sooner or later. The video was a nice demonstration of the battle, but it would be nice to see how a player can accomplish that by describing controls as well.

Also, what language did you write the game in? It sounds interesting to work on :P

Shinies

Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:03 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

originally i decided to make the game in Lua, since that was all i really knew at the time, and i thought it would be best for what i was trying to accomplish. One of my main goals of this project is to be able to sit at your computer and play, and then additionally take it with you on the go easily to either your psp or ds( i know it is capable of running lua applications, but i would have to put in a little more work in that area). But anyway, as for the controls, the 4 attack buttons will govern which attack you use out of the 4 that your pokemon can learn, i plan for the all of the pokemon to learn all of the same attacks as their DS/GBA counterparts.... it has actually been a lot of fun working on this game, it's also been kinda challenging since this is actually my 2nd project.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:49 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Very nice. Kind of similar to PMD Also what is the timetable for when this comes out? and I'm guessing it will be on DS emulator or will it be put on gba?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

It actually wont be on an emulator, this isn't really a mod of an already existing game. I decided to make this entirely from scratch, so it's going to run natively on windows computers...As for the timetable, the working demo version should be done by thursday if nothing goes wrong, but thats about as far as i can plan at this point

Last edited by dragon0010 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Wow, that's even more impressive. Where will it be posted when it's done? Here or your channel?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:33 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I think i'm just gonna post it here.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Your computer couldn't really handle the game and the screen recording program very well? I think you need to upgrade your computer hardware...

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:48 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I like it. How did you make it????? It's AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWSOME.........

Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

kittygirl1001 wrote:
I like it. How did you make it????? It's AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOMEAWSOME.........

umm, thanks for the positive feedback, but unfortunetely this game isn't as awesome as i envisioned it to be. So right now i'm really working to try and correct all of my past errors. i ended up making it just by reading online programing tutorials a lot.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:04 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Oh..... I still think it's AWSOME though...

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]