It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Nerds Anonymous 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Alright, so by default, as members of a Pokemon Forum, we all qualify as nerds. However, I want to delve a little deper into our nerd culture. I wanna know all the things that make us unique, and get people to admit to the things that, even though you totally enjoy it, it still makes you a little ebarrased at your lack of cool. Haha. :) So, just like the AA, admit being a nerd and give a DORK erm.. DARK secret. I'll go first.

Yep. I'm a nerd. I play pokemon and have a collection of the games. As well as this, I also am a fan of DBZ and play runescape. I spend entirely too much time on the internet. I collect coins and random asian stuff. I can name almost every pokemon and can immitate Vegeta (DBZ), Shaggy (Scooby-Doo) and Stitch (Lilo & Stitch). I went to a comicon and cosplayed as L. I AM A NERD AND PROUD!

So yeah. It's a dumb topic, but hey. *shrug* :D

Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Random Asian stuff? Then I win, because everything I own is Asian stuff -_-

Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yes because being a member of something you like makes you a nerd, hell owning Asian stuff makes you a nerd.

Oh and your opinion does not=ALL of the members of this forum.

Pokemon Pearl FC:2749 9225 9473

Up for a battle anytime! Just PM me.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:20 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

As of this coming academic year, I'm going to be co-chairman of my school's anime society. I shall rule with a fist of iron - they won't be showing another episode of Naruto for a long time. :twisted:

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:26 am
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

TheCyberMew doesn't qualify for this thread, and he's an administrator of a Pokemon forum. :P

20/f/ohio single

I think that says enough.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

I wouldn't say I qualify as a nerd either ;[ I don't even really think Pokemon is nerdy...but, if you believe it is, then it's my one nerdy vice. Otherwise I'm fairly...well I wouldn't say normal, but :P

Today, in the midst of foreplay, this girl tells me I am so hot, I respond "Ditto." She heatedly responds "I love ditto," to which I suavely reply "I didn't know you were into Pokemon. That may make you even sexier." She knows nothing about Pokemon, but I sure know how to kill the mood. FML

{dragonair}

Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:44 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I took an online "nerd" test and my result was "slightly dorky non nerd" or something to that extent. Amongst others, I failed many "nerd" fields, like engineering, computer stuff and TV series nerds apparently like (like Star Wars).

Recently I watched a TV special on nerds/geeks/dorks and I found out I'm too cool to be a nerd: at least, a nerd like THOSE nerds, because I'm a completely ordinary, normal person. :/

I watch anime and a few cartoons, and I absolutely love animated movies. I don't cosplay myself, but I do take pictures of cosplayers and watch cosplay groups channels. I go to anime conventions, but I never buy those goodies (like keychans or buttons; I honestly think it's a waste of money), only manga. I don't listen to J-music, and I can't write/read japanese, though I do know one or two words.

I love to play videogames, but I suck at any of them (even really old ones, like Super Mario World). I spend a lot of time on the internet, but I'm mostly browsing YouTube and art sites (looking at other people's galleries and being jealous of their talent, or trying to learn from them); on rare occasions, I'm on MSN talking to people.

In relation to Pokemon, I honestly can't remember all their names, or their types, and I suck at competitive battling. But I still love the games (the creatures mostly).

I love The Big Bang Theory, but half of the time I have no idea what the main characters are talking about or doing. I mean, I can, for example, say "they're playing an online RPG together", but I can't really dwelve on the matter.

Speaking of online RPGs, I detest those. I do occasionaly play Dungeons and Dragons with a few friends, though. As for Trading Card Games, I'm not patient enough to learn how to play those; I only collect the cards for the illustrations.

I have two awesome figures of Willy Wonka and Jack Sparrow, and I'll go crazy if I can find an Edward Scissorhands to make my collection of Johnny Depp characters bigger. And I also have a Virgo Shaka figure (Cloth Myth edition), which has about three pieces missing (I lost them).

And, uh... I'm a medical student.

How nerdy I am I honestly don't know. You tell me. x(

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I ain't no nerd!

I'm a geek. :)

Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I love Japan too much, it's just a fact really. Games, manga, anime, you name I LOVE it.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

Registeel_Rocks wrote:
I ain't no nerd!

I'm a geek. :)

You stole my line.

goldenquagsire wrote:
As of this coming academic year, I'm going to be co-chairman of my school's anime society. I shall rule with a fist of iron - they won't be showing another episode of Naruto for a long time. :twisted:

They made me President. ¯(º_o)/¯

Krisp wrote:
TheCyberMew doesn't qualify for this thread, and he's an administrator of a Pokemon forum. :P

I installed the Pokemon forum?

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
They made me President. ¯(º_o)/¯

Oh, don't get me wrong. I *will* become chairman. It's only a matter of time...

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

What is the difference between nerd, geek and dork?

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:00 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Galar wrote:
What is the difference between nerd, geek and dork?

"Nerds" are the classical DnD/WoW/trainspotting types. Non-existent social lives, generally experts on (often apparently useless) fields of information. "Geeks" are useful nerds - programmers, web-savvy folks, techies and such. Usually more popular and less socially awkward. "Dork" isn't so much of a person-type as a state of being that one can go through. If you do something silly and awkward but not OTT, it'll be "dorky". Usually used as a jovial comment... predominately by females towards males.

At least, that's the way these terms seem to be defined where I live.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I agree with what Jigglypuff said :o

I suppose I technically would fall under nerd, seeing as I don't create and fix much, but I think being called a "geek" just sounds cooler in my opinion. But being called a nerd isn't bad to me either.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Jigglypuff is wrong. It's more like this:

Therefore, I am a nerd.

I'm also the biggest Pokemon nerd on these forums until proven otherwise.

KNOW THAT.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Ya know I half expected my topic to end up in lintaro's lair.. Haha.

Being a nerd is a good thing. I'm proud to be nerdy. It's better to be some nerd who still plays pokemon even though he's seventeen than sombody who avoids uncool things that they'd probably enjoy just because of their social status. Nerds ftw.

Oh, and Frost.. Pokemon nerds are wicked. Especially leaders at Psypoke. Keep up being made of awesome, and fight the suck. :D

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:44 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Frost wrote:
Jigglypuff is wrong. It's more like this:

Therefore, I am a nerd.

I'm also the biggest Pokemon nerd on these forums until proven otherwise.

KNOW THAT.

Haha in that case I would say Geek. Occasionally social inepitude crawls in there. Only when i'm too busy with something though.

Pokemon (already a given), I used to be really good at Yu-gi-oh, the cards just got so freakin expensive.
I still love watching me some cartoons, and I wish ALL the time that either Pokemon was real...or that I could one day wield a lightsaber.

Long live Star Wars

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:15 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm not sure where I fit. :shock:

I mean, I'm smart. But I'm not obsessive and I have plenty of friends. I mean, I used to be a cheerleader for Pete's sake.

Band is kinda dorky, but it's fun. And our band isn't full of those weird, I-only-joined-band-to-make-friends-and-I-still-don't-have-any geeky kids. We are actually more popular than all the school teams besides football. (Although I don't see why, we haven't won a game in four years)

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 am
I need to shut the **** up

Haha, I love the Venn Diagram (is it Venn?) interpretation. I'd be either a geek or a dweeb. Haha. XD
I mean, I'm intelligent, and I don't have many friends, although the ones I have are good ones. And I can obsessive. :/ So, I dunno.

OMG! Ender at the End Shop is AMAZING!!! Visit it now: End Shop!!

Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A dork is a whale's *****. Get it right.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Everyone at my school thinks I am a nerd. Anyone else I talk to thinks I'm kind of a geek but also pretty cool. And everyone at my school hates me just because they think I'm a nerd. School sucks.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this as your signature.
92% of teens would be dead if Abercrombie & Fitch said it wasn't cool to breathe. Put this in your sig if you are the 8% who would be laughing.

Diamond FC: 5199-4994-9415
White FC: 0089-1661-3588

Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I'm not a nerd. I'm an Otaku! And I'm also one of the few here that plays MTG.

These past years have been great, and this community was a great one. Key word being was. Since my birthday last year, the site hasn't updated at all, and people have been slowly trickling away from the forums over the weeks. I've had this site as my internet homepage for ages, and I anxiously awaited the resurgence that I hoped would come. But it never came. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce my permanent leave of Psypoke. As a moderator, I wished only the best for everyone here, and worked to maintain a jolly environment where everyone could discuss cartoon monsters in peace. Now, I wish all those who happen to be reading this message good luck in whatever endeavors you have chosen to pursue, and that your futures be bright.

Mektar out.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Mektar wrote:
I'm not a nerd. I'm an Otaku! And I'm also one of the few here that plays MTG.

:roll:

But yeah, I'm a geek, not a nerd, blah blah blah. Even by Frost's chart. My nerdy/geeky activities:
*Using the computer/internet more than is healthy
*Playing Pokemon doesn't make you a nerd or geek, but joining a forum about it does (don't worry, I'm still proud to be here :D )
*I (rather obsessively) read the Star Wars Expanded Universe books, and know a hell of a lot about what happens after the movies
*Slightly socially awkward, but not enough that on Frost's chart I would be a nerd
*I'm an A-B student, so I guess that might count, but it just further exemplifies the other stuff

So, yeah. There you go! :)

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 am
Super Saiyan
Super Saiyan

Pokemon is the least of my nerd worries, as most of my free time is occupied with things such as
-computer programming
-watching way too much animus
-listening to weird music from the animus
-playing silly games like maplestory

though I guess if joining a pokemon forum makes you a nerd, moderating one for a few years probably adds an even greater factor.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next