It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Effort Values Explanation 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ok Nida, thanks a lot!!! And this applies to any number of EVs right? Even when the fainted pkmn gives away 2 or 3 EVs, each pkmn that took part in the battle will still receive 2 or 3 EVs..?

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:11 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Correct.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:00 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

So, if you have a squirtle, does 1 battle give you a certain amount of ev points, or do you only get ev points when you level up?

Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:34 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

EVs are gained each time you defeat a Pokemon in battle. EVs become apparent when you gain more stats when you level up. Does that answer your question?

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:19 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

[quote="LxxRyuzaki"]So, if you have a squirtle, does 1 battle give you a certain amount of ev points, or do you only get ev points when you level up?[/quote]

EV points are given based on individual pokemon, not an entire battle. If this is what you mean, then yes. The same pokemon species gives the same number of EVs in the same stat. For every 4 EVs=1 Stat.

Remember that 255 EVs is the same as 252 EVs because they're rounded down.

The only record of EVs if anything, is the ribbon you obtain from the lady in the Sunyshore Market once the poke gets 500 EVs

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Man, i just hate EV training.....its the most boring thing ever.......except for maybe shiny hunting.......

By the way, hidden power came up a lot earlier in this topic. Could someone direct me to a place where i could learn how exactly hidden power works?

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:56 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

[quote="penguino"]Man, i just hate EV training.....its the most boring thing ever.......except for maybe shiny hunting.......

By the way, hidden power came up a lot earlier in this topic. Could someone direct me to a place where i could learn how exactly hidden power works?[/quote]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/hidden_power

Hope it helps, although atm I'm too lazy to understand it.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

http://www.psypokes.com/dex/techdex/237/advanced

That's Psypoke's detailed Techdex explanation for the move.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:59 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I have a question. Does the box trick work with a pokemon under level 100? Say a level 50 that you wanted to keep level 50?

Also, concerning the same box trick, can you only raise one stat at a time? Say you get 4 evs in speed first then 4 more evs in attack, will they both go up one point, or just the first one?

Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:28 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Yes technically the box trick will work on any leveled pokémon as in Gens I to III(they fixed it for IV) removing a poké from the PC will recalculate its stats of course based on EVs in part.

Just remember that you cannot do it in Generation IV.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:30 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Suppose I want to raise a Pikachu's special attack by fighting an Abra. If my Pikachu faints and I finish off the Abra with another Pokemon, will my Pikachu still get the EV point?

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Post ...
No, it will not gain the EV. The one that defeats it (which in that case was 'another Pokémon') gains the EV.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

You are right in a wrong way. The Pikachu will not gain the EV, but it's because it has already fainted. All Pokemon that take part in defeating a foe will gain the relevant EVs from defeating that foe.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm still a bit confused. Hypothetically speaking, say you get a Rattata 255 Atk EVs and 255 Sp Atk EVs in one level. Are those there to stay for the rest of his levels to 100 so you can leech him at the elite 4, or do the EVs "reset" back to zero every level up? Because i find training my Lucario at Machops/Ponytas kind of boring.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:37 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Here's a good question: How do you guys know about EV's and IV's? They Never say anything about it in-game! If they exist, How did you guys find out?

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:12 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

????
I dont get it!!! :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

[quote="Squirtle"]I'm still a bit confused. Hypothetically speaking, say you get a Rattata 255 Atk EVs and 255 Sp Atk EVs in one level. Are those there to stay for the rest of his levels to 100 so you can leech him at the elite 4, or do the EVs "reset" back to zero every level up? Because i find training my Lucario at Machops/Ponytas kind of boring.[/quote]

EVs are not removed except through EV reducing berries. Any EVs gained at any level will be reflected in the stats of all succeeding levelups.

[quote="Ryanh181"]Here's a good question: How do you guys know about EV's and IV's? They Never say anything about it in-game! If they exist, How did you guys find out?[/quote]
A strange question, considering how long pokemon has been studied competitively. Players have found stat calculations based on EVs and IVs to accurately predict their pokemon's stats for years. Also, the game code has been dissected.

[quote="PokemonMaster2000"]????
I dont get it!!![/quote]
Be more specific - what do you not understand?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:51 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

[quote="Sion9"][quote="Squirtle"]I'm still a bit confused. Hypothetically speaking, say you get a Rattata 255 Atk EVs and 255 Sp Atk EVs in one level. Are those there to stay for the rest of his levels to 100 so you can leech him at the elite 4, or do the EVs "reset" back to zero every level up? Because i find training my Lucario at Machops/Ponytas kind of boring.[/quote]

EVs are not removed except through EV reducing berries. Any EVs gained at any level will be reflected in the stats of all succeeding levelups.
[/quote]
Thanks Sion. You're a big help r:w)

Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:12 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Ive been playing pokemon since ruby and sapphire came out. ive got around 50 LV 100 pokemon, and only now i find out about EVs, IVs the the efects of the Pokemon nature in thier growth...
I feel like my pokemon are useless and weak because they wheren't trained "the right way" XD
i realy dont feel like doing the box trick on all fo them and training them all from scratch will also be a pain!

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

EV-training in itself is quite a pain actually :x

While they do add significantly to stats, they're not crucial unless you are playing very competitively and need every edge you can get. Hence, if you are lazy, it's perfectly fine to ignore EV-training, because you WILL gain EVs anyway, when you battle. It's just that because you don't keep records of your EVs gained, you might end up with extra EVs in some stats, and less so in other stats i.e. a more random distribution.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:51 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Post Re:
[quote="Nolimits"]Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just give your pokemon all the EV's and THEN do the box trick?

If the game recalculates your pokemon's stats everytime you withdraw it, then why do you need to do the box trick every 4 EV's? Wouldn't it just calculate all the EV's you have at once?[/quote]

i dont think this was awensered... and i thought i read somewhere that this doesnt work in DPP... is it true?

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

[quote="Biohazard"]i thought i read somewhere that this doesnt work in DPP... is it true?[/quote]
I can confirm that the box trick does not work in DPP...as for why you have to perform it every 4 EVs, I'm not sure.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:45 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I have a problem with the box trick in Firered:

My Blastoise is Lv100 with 128 Def, 252 Spatk, and 128 Spdef EVs, and I lowered all its Spatk EVs to zero, and am trying to get 252 Evs in HP. I used ten HP up vitamins, and his HP raised 25 points as it should. But here's the real problem:

I fought four dunsparces, which give 1HP EV each, and took him to the box. I deposited him and withdrawed him, but his HP is STILL THE SAME!! Whats wrong?

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:20 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Shuckle-rock$ wrote:
I have a problem with the box trick in Firered:

My Blastoise is Lv100 with 128 Def, 252 Spatk, and 128 Spdef EVs, and I lowered all its Spatk EVs to zero, and am trying to get 252 Evs in HP. I used ten HP up vitamins, and his HP raised 25 points as it should. But here's the real problem:

I fought four dunsparces, which give 1HP EV each, and took him to the box. I deposited him and withdrawed him, but his HP is STILL THE SAME!! Whats wrong?

It shoulda work in FR..but maybe it doesn't? just try again to be sure.

I did my first EV training on my red gyarados, HG, but at some point i was not sure about how many Pokemon i killed (i was like, i think im missing 2goldeens and maybe i killed 2 extra rattatas..) i know that i killed enough to get 250k atk/spd ev's at least. Should i try to get a reset berrie for ea stat and retrain him again? i think that those 4hp ev's i would get are not that important anw :3

One more question is if i should bother ev'training Pokemon that got the 'wrong' nature or medium-bad iv's? maybe would be better to work on breeding first so that i don't feel like that ev training is being a waste?

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks alot!
I'll try to have an experiment with EVs and find out which will suit my pokemon best! :D

Thanks!

salamence47™|RN

{garchomp} {gyarados} {salamence} {kingdra} {altaria}

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3