It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Ruby, Sappohire, & Emerald: worst games 

RSE was the worst set of Pokemon games (not counting spinoffs)?
yes 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
definitely 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 16

Ruby, Sappohire, & Emerald: worst games 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

In general, the Gameboy Advance was a very mediocre system. Nintendo wasn't afraid to spit out port after port and the majority of the original titles for the GBA were either pure **** or were just mediocre. RSE was no exception.

As much as the 3rd generation was my favorite generation (only because of FR/LG), RSE was seriously the worst set of games. They weren't bad per say, but they weren't great like RBY, GSC, or DPP either. We went from time events like bug catching contests every Tuesday to...almost no time events in Ruby and Sapphire. What's up with that? We lost the phone, the radio, AND apricorns. Now, we could live without these things I suppose, but the thing that bugs me the most is: Kanto and Johto got completely shafted. A select few of these Pokemon actually made it into Ruby and Sapphire, and the rest had to be caught in FR/LG. As much as I wanted something completely new and different, I didn't want THIS. I wanted a SEQUEL, that was what made GSC so much better than the other games (in my opinion.)

I can't be the only one who shat bricks when they found out that Kanto and Johto weren't apart of RSE. I was so angry, I rarely played RSE. The games have almost no replay value, and when the game is beat, it's similar to RBY (nothing left to do.) DPP might not have Johto or Kanto in it, but it has plenty of stuff to do after the Elite Four because EVERY SINGLE generation of Pokemon is available.

I don't want to harp on any of the Hoenn Pokemon, but lets be honest - the majority of them lacked any originality or interest. Wurple and Beautifly are so not cooler than Caterpie and Butterfree were. If they wanted a caterpillar and a butterfly, why didn't they just put the Kanto Pokemon in it?

Discuss.

Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Are you saying that you hate Skitty???????????
>.<

I thought RSE was very fun. The graphics enhancement was very well executed, the new pokemon were quite original and varied, I mean, Absol, Skitty, Shroomish, and more! Part of the fun is getting to know the new pokemon and understanding their strengths and weaknesses. It isn't very fun to play through a new storyline with the SAME set of pokemon to choose from. In my opinion, MOST of the pokemon added were interesting. The storyline was greatly improved, there were lots of little secrets, weather was a nice addition. Not to mention the addition of Contests (ok, not THAT fun, but they were kinda neat to meddle around with).

The problem is, if they had included Johto or Kanto in RSE, it would have gotten boring rather quickly. Kanto in GSC was NOT that amazing or fun.

The only thing I can think of is that RSE lacked good time based events. But the games were still fun and exciting.

Then again, everyone is entitled their opinion.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Sat May 30, 2009 11:12 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I thought this would be a good thread of discussion, but by looking at the poll options, i'm rather dissappointed.

I would probably say RSE and DP are around the same level on how good they are, agreeably some of the Pokemon from RSE did lack imagination, but the majority were alright, imo.

Sat May 30, 2009 11:18 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well no. I don't think that but what I do think that it is really stupid and immature to not have a "no" option. Just because the some people do not agree with you does not mean that you should ignore their opinion. R/S/E was actually, in my opinion, was rather impressive.

Sat May 30, 2009 11:23 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Emerald was arguably the best game story and region-wise. Game Boy Advance was a system that took Nintendo's handhelds a step up. It was the only system 6th generation that Nintendo made good, or at least decent. If you think that RSE generation sucked you're entitled to you're opinion but it's kind of pointless putting a poll up if there is ultimately only one option. To me though, RSE made what is modern day pokemon and put a lot of new things. It also had a lot cool pokemon in that generation, even though some were a bit unoriginal. {luvdisc} anyone? But ever generation has it's flaws so still. I would say more but I don't feel like typing today really.

Jaguar wrote:
Well no. I don't think that but what I do think that it is really stupid and immature to not have a "no" option. Just because the some people do not agree with you does not mean that you should ignore their opinion. R/S/E was actually, in my opinion, was rather impressive.

Basically ditto, though I really don't care about argueing at this point -_-

Sat May 30, 2009 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

The best thing to come out of RSE.

=02:47:08= <pop10> probably means your staff or soethingwich in that case i could getyou fired or i could report to nintendo how bad of website you run because you dont follow your own rules on the chats

Sat May 30, 2009 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I though Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were quite good. They are in fact, my favourite Pokémon Games. I really don't understand why RSE is always said as one of the worst games. Sure, some of the Pokémon could have been better, but that's not many. I found that they had an interesting storyline as well.

Additionally, I'm getting bored of everyone complaining that RSE had no Kanto in it. Everyone has their own opinion, however, so others should be able to feel free to complain about the games (that is, if they wanted to).

3DS FC: Snail 4527-8592-7979

Sat May 30, 2009 5:37 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Hmmm. Where have I seen such a topic before.

Either way they would have gotten their fair share of detractors. Maybe all they wanted was to offer a new experience, and therefore opted to detach the game from the Kanto/Johto world. Pokemon-design wise, I don't really have any complaints. It's all a matter of sequence of events - if they had come up with the Wurmple family first back in RBY, and then introduced the Butterfree family in a later game, I'm sure many would have criticised Butterfree for being unoriginal. In addition, RSE did have some interesting additions if its own. Weather was an interesting add, for instance.

That being said, I did miss features such as the day-of-the-week based events, day-night transition, and apricorns.

Sat May 30, 2009 8:49 pm
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

It was lacking in story and stuff to do compared to the other installments, for sure. However, this introduced the current stat system that we now use, and it added a lot of pokemon that have become staples in most competative teams. Also, Emeralds frontier was actually pretty fun, and it offered a decent challenge, which is something that the past games didn't have.

What I don't understand is why Game Freak likes undoing their improvments, and only returning them in the 'remake' game. For example, moving sprites from Crystal were removed from RS and returned in E. Emeralds frontier, which was one of my favorite improvements, was removed from DP, but it's present in Platinum, I believe. I hope that the GS remakes have a frontier type thing, cause I don't really care to buy Platinum.

Story wise, RBY was the worst gen. The fact that it contributed to the Pokemon craze here in the US doesn't really change that fact, but it gives these games special merit, and is why they are loved so much. GSC did great in the improvement department, as it was a much better gen then RBY. RSE did fall story wise, but the additions to the battle system and pokedex more then made up for that.

DP added the new Atk/Sp Atk system which is awesome, and it also added online play (though it would be much better if it wasn't for the nazi friend code system) and online trading (which is great, because it works without those annoying friend codes). Its story is still bland (which is a staple in these games, honestly) but it was much better then RSE.

Every game has it's bad points, and it's merits. If we go from just gameplay though, then RBY were the worst, easily.

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Sun May 31, 2009 12:31 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, I'm sure this type of topic can be started with any generation of games and people can argue it, but here's my opinion. I don't think you can really say which generation was the worst because they've all done different things. Sure, would I have liked to see past game elements carry over to Gen. III? Of course. Time based things would've worked great. People saying "ohz i misses mah kantoz" are alittle ridiculous: FireRed and LeafGreen made it all better. Get a wire and a friend and trade if you needed your Charizard or whatever. If I had to order the Generations by favorite, I'd say the third Gen would prolly be last, but that doesn't make it bad persay: First Gen is first Gen, gotta love it, then the second would be next, followed by the fourth and then the third. I still think the third gen was good though. Can't say I didn't like it.

Sun May 31, 2009 5:11 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It's true that RSE didn't stand out in regards of new features, and the ones introduced weren't as great or inovative as other generations's (even though I have to admit I loved the in-game weather and those smaller modifications), but it did pretty good in other aspects:

For instance, the third generation of Pokemon has to be my favorite so far, even topping the first. RSE has the cutest and prettiest Pokemon, and the best-looking player trainers.

Also, RSE has the largest number of hotties in the Gyms/Elite, which are Roxanne, Brawly, Winona, Wallace and Steven. The only generation that is closest to that is GSC with Falkner, Morty, Jasmine and Will.

Seriously. Top this and I'll give you a cookie.

You just can't contest or controvert those arguments. ;(

Sun May 31, 2009 8:42 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I suppose I could say that RSE are the worst but only because they aren't QUITE as good as the others. It was very offputting only giving us only 200 Pokémon to start(almost put me off Pokémon forever)but the storyline is good and added a lot of new features. The loss of many of the great features in GSC such as apricorns and the time system probably make people just want to hate it. I personally loved the new graphics, and things like weather and even some of the new Pokémon.

I just don't find this Generation as enjoyable overall but I have no idea why despite the many great things they did with it. I do often find that the things that make you enjoy something are aspects that may seem minor and unnoticable(music being one). It's certainly great but not the best.

Sun May 31, 2009 9:40 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I can't be the only one who finds it amusing that the people who post threads complaining about RSE usually push lack of originality as one of their main reasons for disliking the games.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:41 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I enjoyed Sapphire (The only one I played) in that there was a whole new land to explore. If I wanted Kanto or Johto I could just hop onto Pokemon Crystal or even go back to the original.

One thing I did hate about third gen.

No Team Rocket :(.

That, I think, is what made it suck the most. Instead of some cool dudes wearing black we get either a bunch of Sailors or Pyromaniacs. Their idealogy too was dumb and will result in the end of the world if you can't beat them.

Team Galactic also qualifies, thanks to the crazy hair dudes and silly outfits. Even the ingame NPCs mention they look crazy.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I guess I'm of a rare breed because the only games I like more than RSE are DPP. :D I will admit, I thought the villains in RSE were relatively lame, but to be honest I was glad for the change anyway, since RSE was a whole new continent with a much more varied environment, so it would have been annoying to me to go to a brand new land, with brand new pokemon, and fight the same old villains from RBY.

Granted, Team Rocket is still the coolest villain team, I'm just saying I'm glad they mixed it up. As far as my liking for RSE goes, a lot of it has to do with the 3rd gen pokemon, which I really love personally. I also thought the legendaries in RSE were awesome, and I enjoyed trekking through such a varied environment.

I think my biggest problem with it was the absolutely ridiculous water part near the end and having to go to that one city to switch bikes.

Yep.

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Well, i actually find that the Pokemon invented for RSE were probably the best additions next to the original 151. The game was pretty good to go through, as you actually had to work in some portions because of the way they engineered when which SL event happened in correspondence to your actions. Wattson's gym gor instance, was exteremyl hard if you hadn't given much thought into Geodude at the Dewford Cave with Treecko as your starter.
Also, i thought the city scapes or RSE are the best ever thought of and it would be stupid to repeat. Those games had the most riddles to solve as you made it past the Champion. Also, i don't think that the older generatiosn were left out of Emerald, as you had the ability to trade with FR/LG. Also, the battle frontier with the ability to catch Sudowoodo(exactly like you had to in G/S/C) anmd Smeargle made the tie in their if you hadn't the ability to mix around.
Overall, i think Emerald is my favorite game to this day. The add-ons in DPP were very fun and so useful, but i think they are slowly beginning to stretch the Pokemon creativty tot he limit withe very new 200 or so Pokemon. I still don't think you can succesfully replicate the Battle Frontier, or have a floating city liek pacifidlog. For me, RSE is my favorite, hands down.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]