It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 "grunge" 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

There seems to be quite a few metal heads on psypoke.

My question, how many people here are also a fan of so called "grunge" music, and if so what are your favorite artists/songs/albums.

For those who do not understand what grunge is, it was an alternative rock movement centered in Seattle that took place in the late 80s/early 90s. Popular acts included pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, and nirvana.

Mine are as follows.
Artists: soundgarden, pearl jam, alice in chains, and stone temple pilots.
Albums: soundgarden's superunknown, pearl jam's ten
Songs: pearl jam's once, soundgarden's outshined, stone temple pilots' wicked garden, alice in chain's angry chair

Now...discuss?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I listen to Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins and Foo Fighters.
I have the following grunge CD's: Nevermind (Nirvana), No.4 (Stone Temple Pilots), Purple (Stone Temple Pilots), Siamese Dream (Smashing Pumpkins), Ten (Pearl Jam), The Colour and the Shape (Foo Fighters) and In Your Honor (Foo Fighters).
My Favorite grunge songs are Jeremy (Pearl Jam), Lithium (Nirvana), Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots), Everlong (Foo Fighters), Cherub Rock (Smashing Pumpkins), Them Bones (Alice In Chains), Spoonman (Soundgarden), Kool Thing (Sonic Youth) and Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana).

Last edited by RageAgainstMachine on Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I never really consider the pumpkins grunge, although it seems as most people would. my favorite pumpkins song would be disarm, though today is a close second. I also really like the smashing pumpkins music videos. They are works of art by themselves, unlike many music videos that are just bland and unimaginative.

There have been talks about soundgarden getting back together. Anybody have any thoughts on that? Personally I think its not going to happen because Cornell just has a completely different style now (I like it, although many people don't). If they were to get back together than it wouldn't sound the same anyways.

Sat May 09, 2009 8:09 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well, Cornell was with Audioslave (Cornell and RATM) until 2007, and since then he's been doing more solo work. In most of the Pumpkins videos, Corgan is pictured in various outfits, and always in a new location.
Ah yes, Siamese Dream. More of the Pumpkins Grunge was in Gish, their Debut album.

Sun May 10, 2009 7:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I never really listened to much of Gish, but listening to it now it is pretty grungy.

And yeah, I really enjoy Cornell's solo work but since I never got a chance to see soundgarden live it would be nice if they got together at least once for a show that was conveniently close to where I live so that I could go to it.

Sun May 10, 2009 8:03 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've actually never been to a Grunge concert, but own plenty of Grunge CD's. Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger has a really heavy Grunge feel, especially JCP (I'm not going to spell that one out).
Gish, even though it was their debut album, is possibly the most popular sp album ever. I personally like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness the best.

Mon May 11, 2009 2:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I much prefer Siamese dream myself. As much as I love the heavier grunge style I think Corgan's voice works better with lighter material.

I went to a VR tour a couple years ago when Scott was still on vocals and Alice in Chains were supporting. I must say that William DuVall, while he probably will never fully replace Staley, is going to rock on their new album when ever it comes out.

I was going to go to a Chris Cornell concert a month ago but was unable to as I had a previous obligation for school. Made me hate school even more.

Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

At least the School year is almost over. I don't have Mellon Collie, but listening to Siamese Dream earlier today, I came upon what may be my new favorite song: Rocket.
Alice In Chains is a very mysterious band. They are Grunge, Metal and Alt. Basically, a song by them could be from a gentle weep of a guitar to a scream of "Yaaaaa!"
I was going to buy Ultramega OK by Soundgarden yesterday, but I decided to go with AIC instead. They are both similar bands.

Mon May 11, 2009 4:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I don't own Siamese either. I almost got it yesterday but I went with Green Day's Dookie in the end because I can't stand Corgan anymore. Not the best reason, but when you are torn between two different CDs its quite effective.

Mon May 11, 2009 5:05 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yes. I've been in that situation before, especially in my early CD collecting (one year ago O.O). I think its stupid that they label some albums explicit just because of one song, like Dookie and RATM debut.

Mon May 11, 2009 5:59 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I know what you mean. I've got tons of CDs that I want to get. I really want Super Unknown and Peace Sells but I just don't have the money right now to chuck away. I mean I could always just downlad them, but seeing as I hope to be entering the industry in a few years it makes little sense to help destroy it now.

Listening to music is the primary reason that I use youtube. I can sample as much music as I want and don't have to feel bad about stealing from the people who I admire most.

Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It is very tempting to get music for free, but once you enter the recording studio and spend hours on end working on a song, you realize why its wrong.
Of course I don't know what to do. I don't know what instrument I'll play in a band, if I will (hopefully), and what type of music I'll play (although I've narrowed it down to only genres of rock. maybe I can play several different genres.).

Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I also just like having hard copies of CDs. Sometimes the artwork is worth having alone, regardless of how good the music itself is.

I'm hoping to make it as a rhythm guitarist/vocalist although to be honest I would be happy doing anything for the opportunity to perform music for a living. If not I'm going to school for guitar building/repair next year so I will still be able to help others make music even if I myself cannot.

Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah, I could really go for any instrument but drums (only because I find it annoying that everyone in my school wants to be a drummer.).
I agree with you about CD's, I just like seeing it in my CD rack. I bought a copy of a CD my dad already had (STP's Purple), but even if I had known, I just wanted my own copy.

Tue May 12, 2009 2:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In all honesty, the only STP album worth buying IMO is Core. Everything else is just one or two decent songs bogged down with filler.

I wouldn't want to be drummer either simply because I know so many people who play drums that I won't really need to find a drummer anytime soon so it wouldn't pay to learn as I would have no one to play with anyways. And its so much harder to interact with a crowd when you are behind the set.

Tue May 12, 2009 2:35 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've been thinking of buying Core for a while, but have never really gotten to it. Core has STT, Crackerman, Creep and a few other hits on it.
I see why you like it so much.

Tue May 12, 2009 4:49 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Not to say that STP has nothing, but Core really is their only album that isn't loaded with filler. Its a pity actually because the combination of vocals and instrumentals just has such a vibe and sounds so good together yet they have so much crap that it almost negates the decent music that they do make.

Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

A chunk of Purple is decent, they have 3 of their hits on it. However, it would be wise to buy the greatest hits for this band, even if you are a big fan.

Tue May 12, 2009 6:53 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

That is so true. Scott Weiland and STP have some very good songs, all of which would fit on a single greatest hits album.

Have you listened to his solo album Happy in Galoshes? It got mostly negative reviews but I enjoy a lot of the tracks, such as Missing Cleveland.

Wed May 13, 2009 9:01 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

It seems to have a pop and light alternative of the usual STP. I like it because I think he can sing almost any genre.

Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

He probably could. Grunge's strongest point was vocals. Since there was not a lot of frill in the rest of the band, It had to be driven by vocals in order for it to have any melody at all. I of course say this knowing that there are some exceptions. My brain is not working right now so I can't name any, but there a at least a few.

Fri May 15, 2009 7:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah, but the guitars had a certain disorder too. The vocals had basically five types, for the five different well known Grunge bands (STP, SG, N, PJ & AIC).

Sat May 16, 2009 9:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

In my opinion the guitars are what classified the band as grunge and the vocals were what separated the band from other grunge bands.

Sat May 16, 2009 10:48 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The vocals classify almost any band, and the guitars define a sense of genre, like how you know if its metal with loud thumping guitar solos.
I'm not saying STP is metal, I'm just saying in general.

Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]