It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Planned Platinum Playthrough Party 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This is basically a sequel to this thread.http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16307

To summarise, I'm going to play through Pokemon Platinum, so I'm looking to form a team of 6 fun pokemon to play through, traded over from my mostly complete copy of Diamond. The basic rules:

(1) Must be eggable: The Pokemon in question will start as eggs, then hatch on Platinum as Lv.1s to guarantee obedience, so No Legendaries, or anything else I'm forgetting that can't breed.

(2) It's all in good fun: I'm just looking for a team to beat the main game with, not to competitively battle with, so it's okay if my team is glaringly weak to a choice specs Garchomp.

(3) Evolution preferred, but no required: As part of the fun, it's slightly more interesting if the Pokemon I start with changes before the end.

(4) I like that new Pokemon smell: New D/P/P Pokemon, and older Pokemon with new evolutions will get preference over anything I could have used in the previous generations or Pokemon that used to suck, but are now better due to overall gameplay changes (i.e. Gyarados)

I'll try to refine it down later, but just as an idea, here's the Pearl Playthough Team I ended up using.

Gyarados: Physical/Special split made him an absolute beast now. Ate most of the main storyline.
Garchomp: Was actually the most fun as a low level Gible with Dragon Rage. Not many opponents had 40hp. 1 and 2 shotted almost all pokemon until the Lv.20 range.
Spiritomb: Impossible to kill, but kinda boring overall (No evolution either).
Porygon Z: Crazily hard hitting monster, lots of fun.
Gallade: Useful in almost all situations.
Magmortar: Powerful and fun. Good mix between fire and dark attacks, plus smokescreen for catching legendaries.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys.

Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Togekiss, Gliscor, Lickilicky, Magnezone, Tangrowth, and a Rotom form.

Sat May 02, 2009 11:12 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Any particular reason for any of them?

Sat May 02, 2009 5:03 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yes.

Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

When I had a bit of spare time, I looked through my pokedex and wrote down some semblance of a shortlist, organised by type.

Here's what I got.

NORMAL
Togekiss - Serene Grace and high stats could be fun
Staraptor - An actual good starting bird pokemon is a novelty in of itself

FIRE
Ninetales - Never used one because I've always been a big Arcanine fan, seems to have learned some new tricks since R/B

WATER
Manaphy - It makes me feel super cheap, but I have the egg from Pokemon ranger, so it could be fun, but wouldn't evolve.
Dewgong - Never used an Ice/Water that wasn't Lapras
Tentacruel - Seems to be a good mon since it got high specdef in G/S, and clear body in R/S
Kingler - Like Gyarados, sucks less now

GRASS
Tangrowth - Know very little about it
Roserade - Massively high Special attack
Breloom - Poison heal could be a lot of fun
Leafeon - I liked all previous Eeveelutions. Still gutted this wasn't called Vegetareon

ICE
Dewgong - Never used an Ice/Water that wasn't Lapras
Froslass - Ice/Ghost could be fun
Weavile - Might suck less than Sneasel used to
Abomasnow - Interesting ability
Walrein - Also interesting ability
Glaceon - I liked all previous Eeveelutions
Mamoswine - ?

FLYING
Gliscor - Interesting type combination
Togekiss - Serene Grace and high stats could be fun
Ninjask - Speedy
Yanmega - Interesting
Vespequin - Just because I happen to have a female combee
Drifblim - ?

GROUND
Gliscor - Interesting type combination
Rhyperior - New Strong Rock/Ground

BUG
Ninjask - Speedy
Yanmega - Interesting
Vespequin - Just because I happen to have a female combee
Armaldo - Bug/Rock could be fun. Poor Shuckle's not really suited to a playthrough.

STEEL
Lucario - Fast and strong, but very "mainstream"

FIGHTING
Lucario - Fast and strong, but very "mainstream"
Breloom - Poison heal could be a lot of fun

POISON
Toxicroak - Unique type combo. Dry skin is an interesting ability
Roserade - Massively high Special attack
Tentacruel - Seems to be a good mon since it got high specdef in G/S, and clear body in R/S

ROCK
Rampardos - Ramp seems like a real glass cannon, Mold breaker is really interesting tho.

GHOST
Mismagius
Froslass
Drifblim
Rotom

Don't know much about ghosts, but immunity to fighting and normal is pretty useful in the early game stages

PSYCHIC
Medicham - Pure power seems pretty ridiculous as an ability. The Medicham in the E4 was one of the hardest for me to kill in my Diamond playthrough.

ELECTRIC
Electivire - Spiritual successor to using Magmortar on Pearl. Plus I have an elekid with an electrizer I got in a trade.
Rotom - The new platinum novelty.

DARK
Honchkrow - I like darks, and murkrow sucked a bit. Super luck sounds cool though.
Weavile - Might suck less than Sneasel used to

DRAGON
Got nuthin. I believe the only non-legendary dragon I haven't had on a past team is Altaria, and I don't have any interest in Altaria.

Sat May 09, 2009 1:09 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

I think that you should use Dewgong and Togekiss because they're two of my three favorite Pokemon and I'm clearly awesome. :O

In serious, Togekiss is actually very useful both in-game and for more serious battles. I'm pretty sure that you get one for free from Cynthia in Platinum as well, so you don't have to go looking for it or anything like that. Drifloon is another cool Pokemon that appears in a set place and is useful in-game for its three immunities and unique typing.

For Grass and/or Poison, my recommendations are the following. Breloom is really fun with Poison Heal, but unfortunately it only learns Spore at level 50ish as a Shroomish, which is incredibly annoying. Alternatively, Tangrowth learns the standard Grass disabling moves and more (Knock Off), is a physical tank and can hit hard from both Attack stats. Roserade is similar, but focuses on Special only and gets Spike moves instead of Knock Off. It also gets Weather Ball, which can actually be somewhat useful if you play with the weather statuses.

Also, Rampardos is absolutely ridiculous in-game. If you can get your hands on a Choice Scarf through trading, etc., definitely consider putting it on Rampardos and using it. Choice Scarf boosts speed by 50% so you don't need to worry about Rampardos being a glass cannon if it goes first and murders its opposition, which is very easy to do in wild and regular Trainer battles.

Sat May 09, 2009 1:28 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Once Breloom hits 50 couldn't I move tutor spore?

Where Pokemon can be gotten isn't terribly important (unless I don't have them on Diamond/Ruby/Leaf Green) since I'll egg my six in advance.

Sat May 09, 2009 3:00 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Spore is only part of Shroomish's level-up movelist, not Breloom's. I suppose that's meant to be Gamefreak's way of balancing out the fact that Breloom is the most formidable and one of the fastest Spore users in the game. But if you're going to egg your team in advance then you could just get a male Shroomish up to level 45 and then breed Spore onto the baby anyway.

Sat May 09, 2009 4:05 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

You're not going to believe this, but I was pretty OCD with making sure no pokemon I evolved on the GBA games missed out on moves by evolving too soon (although I thought this was mostly centralised to stone evolvers)

But lo and behold I have a lv.54 male Breloom on Leaf Green who knows spore.

I think destiny says his egg is on my team.

Sun May 10, 2009 5:19 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I had a few days abroad for meetings, and since I forgot to bring a book, my before-sleep time in bed ended up being with my copy of Diamond with LeafGreen in the GBA slot. So I've pretty much bred my team of eggs:

Cranidos -> Rampardos. Mold Breaker (ignores opponents ability) should be fun. Frost recommends putting a Choice Scarf on it to up it's speed for sweeping. Are they hard to get? Probably going to give it Stealth Rocks when I get the TM from Roark.

Tentacool -> Tentacruel. Clear Body (stats can't be lowered). I've never seriously used a poison type, but they've definitely gotten leaps and bounds better since R/B. Poison spikes + Stealth Rock should make Gym battles fun.

Snorunt -> Froslass. Bred/hatched/Reset to get a female Snorunt egg. A quick Ice Ghost should be fun. Plus I can essentially evolve it whenever I want.

Mukrow -> Honchkrow. Bred/hatched/Reset to get an egg with Super Luck (double crit rate) instead of Insomnia (can't fall asleep). I intend to give it a razor claw/scope lens as well as high-crit moves for max crittage. Will also evolve whenever I want. Honchkrow, Gliscor and Togekiss were on my shortlist for a flying type, but Honchkrow ultimate won out, because I didn't have the other two on either game.

Elekid. Not actually an egg, but a Lv.1 gift from my nephew from ages and ages ago that I found in a box. Already holding an electrizer (good attention to detail there by him). I'll take the initial obedience hit because baby pokemon can't bred, and I couldn't be bothered evolving it and breding it just to get it into an egg.

Shroomish->Breloom. Poison Heal (gets back 1/8 HP when poisoned). Bred Brelooms on Leafgreen so the baby would also know Spore. It's mostly the ability which drew me to this. Combined with Leech seed and leftovers will make this guy an absolute regenerating whore. I'd love a toxic orb as well, if anyone has one lying around. If not I guess I can try getting one from the Battle Tower (as long as it's not a consumable held-item, like Berries or the Focus Sash. Is it?)

So that's my team. Rock, Water/Poison, Ice/Ghost, Electric, Dark/Flying, Grass/Fighting.

Good type balance, and each with their own little gimmick.

EDIT If anyone can recommend any good hold items for a playthrough for these guys, that's be handy too. The only one I'm really settled on is Breloom, who'll probably get poisoned by the Toxic Orb ASAP, then switch to leftovers, and Honchkrow, who'll get whatever I have that boosts crit.

I'm also considering a good time to evolve the pokemon. It doesn't seem to matter for any of the Xp levellers or Elekid, but it looks like the best time to evolve:
- Snorunt is at 28 after it learns Ice Fang (then maybe Move Tutor Ominous Wind onto Froslass... If I'm that far in the game)
- Murkrow at 25 so it learns Assurance, which is a dark attack that should tide me over nicely until Honchkrow learns Night Slash

Thu May 14, 2009 5:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

{primeape} {alakazam} {sandslash} {golem} {gengar} {marowak} {rhydon} {mr. mime} {jynx} {ditto} {eevee} {cyndaquil} {chikorita} {totodile} {mareep} {aipom} {xatu} {gligar} {snubbull} {hitmontop} {ludicolo} {masquerain} {exploud} {manectric} {trapinch} {seviper} {crawdaunt} {walrein} {vespiquen} {mismagius} {spiritomb} {munchlax} {abomasnow} {toxicroak} {yanmega} {togekiss}

my suggestions :P

Sat May 23, 2009 3:31 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I would suggest Ninetales. I never really used it either, but I kinda always wanted too.
Ambipom seemed like a cool character to play with. But I never got around to it. Tangrowth was pretty fun. He is goofy looking, and has decent stats. Not a GREAT pokemon, but fun to play around with. Tangela was hard to get in the Great Marsh though

Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]