It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Pokemon card memories 
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yes, I know there are a few topics about Pokemon cards in this forum. Yes, we did get rid of the Pokemon TCG forum a while back because nobody used it. I made this topic to dwell on the awesomeness of Pokemon cards and feel nostalgic. What are some of your Pokemon card memories?

I remember sitting on my porch when I was 12-13, trading the same old Pokemon cards with the neighbor boys. We were always ripping each other off and trading the same cards back and forth. I think together we would've made a complete set, but we still had fun trading cards all the time. This was before Sinnoh, Hoenn, and yes, even Johto. The last set I remember was the Gym Leader Heroes one, but we never really cared about those cards because they weren't originals. We traded base/fossil/jungle/rocket etc. cards only.

I had thousands of cards, like 30 some of each energy and tons of duplicates. I probably had all the Pokemon 1-150, but then....I gave them all up. I never told anyone outside the internet about this, but I gave them to a kid named Randy. We were always like best friends and we even spooned on my friend's couch one time :o but besides cuddling we didn't go any further. I gave him every single one of my Pokemon cards for free, and only kept Zapdos. We got in a fight over something stupid and he moved and I never saw any of my Pokemon cards again. I'll probably never see them in my lifetime because I'm almost sure he's out of state and sitting in a jail somewhere. >_>

My favorite cards were Ninetales (first holo), Farfetch'd, Machop, Dewgong, Diglett, Dugtrio, Eevee (because he could evolve 3 ways), Starmie (despite hating him in the games), Scyther, and Hitmonchan.

Right now I'm buying a bunch of Pokemon cards online to trade with Frost <3 too bad those kids who were my friends a long time ago don't collect Pokemon cards anymore. :p

Does anyone else have some cool memories of Pokemon cards? What were your favorites?

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I remember loving those. My favourite was always my steel energy, because it was Japenese, and no-one else had one like it. :P

My funniest memory has to be when some little kid came over to me, and started freaking because I had no energies in my deck (I was only collecting my favourite Pokemon, energies were worthless). He was like "How are you going to play the game!?," but I just gave him a blank stare. I'd never heard of the actual game.

I remember getting a R/S deck, and getting a holo Swampert, and my sister getting a holo Mightyena. She loved it because it was a dog, lol. I still have them all somewhere, including my other three favourites: Jirachi (62/60), Shining Noctowl, and my Pika edition Meowth. My sister loved her Mew's and Ledyba's. :P

I used to think the Pokemon stickers were cards, and I'd love them, but my parents wouldn't let me get "the ones with the ball on the back". But then my cousin brought my sister and me to the first movie, and we got the three free cards, with the ball on the back. We were over the moon.

Good memories. :)

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:49 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

My most remembered moment was when I got Charzard ex. 200 ATTACK POWER

Another one is when I gave my friend a glalie for a shiny gyarados.

Good times.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've got a few to share.

When Pokemon was first getting really big, I was in first grade and immediatly got into it. Because my teacher was awesome, we had a "bring in your pokey-man cards day." My friends and I would always play with them, and have stupid inside jokes relating to the cards. My favorite card to show off was a Hitmonchan that went through the washing machine, where it was dented up, while still retaining all of the origional colors and everything.

My sister, who was in fifth grade at the time, borrowed my Dark Charizard card and lent it to her friend who "accidentally" traded it. To this day I nag her about it, and somehow get leverage over situations that have almost no relation to it.

To this day, I still have all of my cards in some random wooden box. My brother and I share our collection, and my sister keeps hers in a closet while she is off at college. I still don't have a complete set of pokemon cards, but once I decide to get a job I plan to get the ones that I'm missing.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:25 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I remember the day my friend who lived next door got a base set Charizard, and I spent two hours trying to trade for it. <.< We eventually settled that I could have the Charizard if I gave him my base set Arcanine, and Blastoise.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:11 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Loads of 'em. :)

-When my brother and I first saw Pokemon cards in stores (they had just come out in North America), there were two 1st Edition Base Set booster packs left on the rack. We bought one; he got a holo Venasaur, while all I got were commons like Ghastly. ._.

-My best friend back in Aurora and I used to all Pokemon things together, including collecting and battling in the TCG. One day he got a base set Zapdos, which I really wanted at the time. I convinced him to trade it to me, but then he regretted it and started crying. Needless to say, I traded it back.

-My older brother occasionally babysat said friend. One day, my older brother stole my friend's base set Charizard card. I still have it to this day (I inherited all my brother's cards, including that 1st Edition Venasuar and a 1st Edition Blastoise. :3).

-When Jungle first came out, I bought around five booster packs. Four of them had 1st Edition holo Pidgeots in them. Heh.

-The TCG is responsible for me finding this site, actually. When I got back into the TCG again a few years ago with flaming_fox, it was around the time of Ex Hidden Legends. I really wanted Registeel Ex, but just couldn't obtain him. I remember Googling that card one day, and I got Psypoke as a result. The rest is history. :)

Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

And after four grueling years you finally have Registeel EX.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:16 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I have a few fond memories of the cards, though I stopped getting them pretty much when the Johto ones came out. Which I still have all my rares.

-My first base set I ever got had my holo Blastoise, I love it oh so much, while my brother got a Chansey. I think it was my tenth Base set I got me a holo Charizard.

-One day a friend of my brothers came over with a pillowcase full of cards dropped them on the floor in front of me and said "Here I don't want them anymore you can have them" it was loads of cards mainly of the pokemon variety. That day I got a holo first ed dark Machamp, holo first ed prerelease Aerodactyl, holo prerelease Dark Gyrados, and loads of other rares.

-My last two jungle sets I ever bought contained a non holo scyther and a holo vaporeon.

-On my B-Day my friend gave me a Spanish pack of cards, needless to say I got a holo Dragonite.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:04 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

shinashu taji wrote:

-One day a friend of my brothers came over with a pillowcase full of cards dropped them on the floor in front of me and said "Here I don't want them anymore you can have them" it was loads of cards mainly of the pokemon variety. That day I got a holo first ed dark Machamp, holo first ed prerelease Aerodactyl, holo prerelease Dark Gyrados, and loads of other rares.

That happend to me as well. Though it was him giving them to me at his house via my pillowcase.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:48 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

My friend just gave me some of her cards yesterday (her binder, since she forgot to bring her deck, but she'll give it to me on Monday if she remembers) and I got some pretty good ones. She's going to give me (I think) First Edition Mew and Mewtwo, horrible HP and Attacks, but they're rare, according to what I've heard. She said she'd have given me her Wailord EX w/ 200 HP n 100 Attack if it hadn't been stolen.
More on topic, I remember about in September, as a lte b-day present, she got me 2 booster packs of cards and pkmn coin to start my collection. She collected the cards but didn't play the games, and I was visa-versa. In those 2 packs, I got a Dialgo and Ho-Oh, and she was so jealous. That Ho-Oh is still one of my best cards, accept for the EX version of it I traded my sister for, with 20 more HP and the atack does 10 more damage. I have 2 of that card now, with different pictures. I don't think she bought cards after that, so finally, after we traded cards back and forth for a few months, and I bought 5 million cards, she decided to give me her cards.
{dialga} {ho-oh}

Image (by Ender)

Sat May 02, 2009 3:41 pm
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I remember being that kid who had more cards than anybody else. I had at least one card of every pokemon from 1-151, and quite a few promo cards. There was this shopkeeper who sold them, and she would give me promo cards whenever she got ahold of some. I dunno how she did it, but she did.

As I got older, the people around me started losing interest in Pokemon, and I was the only person in my group of friends/neighbors who cared for it anymore. As such, I lost interest in the TCG myself, and I have lost a huge chunk of the cards I once owned due to misplacement. :/

I will always remember the exciting feeling I got whenever I bought a new pack of cards, hoping to get a new Holo to add to my collection. I remember how much fun it was to play against other people, and how awesome it was to trade someone for a card of theirs that you didn't have.

I was considering getting back into the TCG, but since I live in an area where there is not a single soul to play with, I would only do so to collect them, and not actually play.

~ Face

"DERP I'M A DUMBASS :B"

Sat May 30, 2009 2:35 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I just remember getting my first pokemon card in the playground of my elementary school in the second grade. It was an onix.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:20 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well... I still play the game. Back when I was like 5 this dude showed me how to play while waiting for a wedding to be over. I think we were battling with theme decks, but I don't know for sure.

I also remember right when I was getting into the game in my first battle yet I had no idea of what I was doing. I used fake rules to help me win yet I still lost. My friend was just like "Wutever"

Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:51 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

when my first steam deck broke through and beat my brother two out of three I was amazed I could but I did

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i used to laugh when no one whould fight me cause of a 160 hp typhlosion ex

NOW ENTER... mudkips shop of mudkipness... kidding i dont has a shop but i can do sprite combos and recolors (see mah sprite for combo refrence) just pm me

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:44 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

this is very nice sharing about Pokemon card memories i really like it very much this is very informative and i get very much information from it. Onde fica o memory card do pokemon diamond?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I'm late to the party, but...

When the cards first came out, I bought a few packs and showed them to some friends. Well, some other kids saw them and offered to buy them from me. This gave me an idea. I went home, found an old trapper keeper and some card sheets, and bought a pricing guide. The next day, I set up shop after school. I was always sure to be fair, and actually sold most cards for less than the listed price. Most "customers" never left with one card - I worked several angles to up-sell as much as I could. After subtracting expenses, I figured out that I made a 70-ish dollar profit in one week. Haha.

Persistence ends resistence.

3DS FC: 5069-4148-2325 (please PM to exchange)
Poison Friend Safari: Seviper, Ariados, and Whirlipede.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:44 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I remember buying some cards with my sister.... all we got were machops and geodudes lol.

And later, we eventually collected a few rare cards. I still have some of them, one of my rarest being that Registeel, or that Delta species Latios, or that Mew... dunno lol. I had a delta species Charizard (electric) and have a delta species Feraligatr (electric too)

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:33 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Heh, I still collect em, even though no one around here really plays it. That said I still enjoy opening up a couple pack of cards and seeing what I got.

My best memories (and something I still enjoy) was opening up a pack and seeing the rare I got was Holo (but getting an EX or full art makes me even more giddy).

I now spend maybe 1-2 hours putting anyway new cards in my binder (in pokedex order). When the time comes where I cant do this anymore, Ill have fond memories looking back.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:04 am
THE POWER IS ON!

A few random card memories:

-1999: Very first memory was after Pokemon was the new thing and I still had no idea what it was about, I remembered that I got a free Charmeleon card in Nintendo Power and I bought it to school trying to seem cool. I ended up selling it for snack money. A few months later I bought my first cards in the pre-constructed Zap! theme deck. I remember getting Pokemon cards for Christmas with my dad taping me as I opened all of my presents, and hoping I got Electabuzz or Dragonite as my first movie promo and being disappointed to get Mewtwo. I also remember getting my Base Set Charizard in a booster pack, ordering boosters from Wizard's web site for way cheaper than what the stores were asking for Pokemon cards, feeling like it took forEVER for Fossil to come out, etc.

-2000: Buying and playing the hell out of the TCG GB game, thinking Base Set 2 was SO COOL because I had more chances to get older cards I never had at the time (p.s. rofl Base 2 now), thinking that the Gym sets were really lame because all of the cards were of Pokemon who had cards already and that the artwork was all Sugimori's stock art, and getting first edition Neo Genesis booster packs for that Christmas.

-2009: The year I got back into collecting cards. I had some spare Christmas money and I really liked Diamond and Pearl so I decided to buy some booster packs for nostalgia and giggles. Buying a couple of packs reignited my goal as a kid of wanting a card of every single Pokemon, and by the end of the year I finally accomplished that goal. Unfortunately that goal then snowballed into getting all of the cards of this favorite, that favorite and eventually every Pokemon, ever. I remember spending the week of my 21st birthday updating the Deck Dex database for the site. <3

-2012: Scanning my entire card collection for the TCG section of the site. This was traumatizing and I've blacked out the details from my memory.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]