It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Music Chat 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

This is just music chat in general. If you start to get off-topic in a 3-way etc. conversation, bring it here, if you don't mind other people joining in the chat. Chat about random music, random artists, random other stuff that's related to music, etc.

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Or I could have clicked this link BEFORE I posted that reply. Oops, there. Oh well.

So I love music. YAY! Anyone else play instruments?

Working my way through Pokedex completion. Seen 418, caught 295.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, that was why I typed the link in BLUE.

*trombone* I want to learn Baritone, too, since it has the same size mouthpiece and feel and stuff, but my dad says they're both 'background instruments'.

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm actually illiterate most of the time, I just guess on my replies.

I do percussion and piano, plus a little bit of trombone, euphonium, tuba, cello, guitar, and trumpet. Oh, and I sing. Woot!

Funny story, don't know why this works, but baritone/euph is actually a ton easier to play than trombone.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Trombone is easy to tune each note, and it just goes up as the slide gets shorter. Is euph more like tuba, baritone, or trumpet?

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Euph and baritone are actually almost exactly the same thing, I forget what the difference is. I dunno what it is about that, it's not the tuning that's easier, it's just easier to make a note come out and to switch partial series' on euph/baritone.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:24 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Is the range on a baritone a lot higher than trombone? I've played my friend's bari a few times, and I could play a tune I can play on my trombone because it seemed the same. I think the making the notes come out whatever is based on what you're used too. Unless you think air escapes where the slide rubs the inside tubing and there's little pockets of air that get trapped there and get out when you move it.

Image (by Ender)

Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

It really bothers me when people take an elitist status on knowing and enjoying certain genres of music. Because one person enjoys a certain style of music due to particular, more mainstream bands that are detested by more fervent listeners of such genre, that doesn't make it wrong. People like what they like, and enjoying more tride and true styles and artists of a particular genre doesn't make one better than another. That's like classism and **** that.

Another thing that bothers me is people who say they "listen to everything." For the most part, they don't. I'll admit, sometimes I say that and it's almost true. I have a hard time listening to country. Hank Williams and Johnny Cash are classic, of course, but I could never appreciate the voice style and lyrics in the music, despite the fact that the instrumentals are actually decent. I understand that there are even popular bands that people don't like, but when someone mentions to you that they listen to everything and their music collection doesn't involve foreign artists; classical, opera, or liturgical; rap and hip hop; raggae; punk; alternative; folk; indie; or electronica, they really don't.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:31 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I hear you loud and clear, DatVu. The phrase "my music is better than yours" is one that should not be used. Music has many different forms, and each person can find a brand that they appreciate. People will like what they like, and regardless of whether one person listens to a much greater variety of music than another person, it doesn't make that person #1 "better" than person #2. It may make them more knowledgeable about music, but if person #2 has found a particular style of music they identify with or particularly enjoy, then person #2 can be content with that. Music is something everyone should be open to new experiences in.

Also, I'm another person that has the "listens to everything" going for them, and I do mean that. Of the types you have listed there, I have at least a little bit of all of those types except for reggae, which I've been meaning to find some for a while now, and country, because that's my one type of music that doesn't work with my mind at all. Twang bothers me.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I think I understand what you're saying DatVu. All music artists are pretty equal in their area, and everyone ahs a different preferance about what they like to listen to. Personally, I usually listen to the Light Rock radio (here it's KOIT 96.5) unless my mom or sister has something on. I don't much pay attention to the lyrics of a song anyway, unless it's a really good song like 'Lyin Eyes' where it's saying something. I can't follow the lyrics of many country songs and rap, which bothers me because I like to be able to understand the words, even if I don't pay attention to them. Heavy metal isn't my kind of music either because it's abnoxious and I can't think when I hear it; I usually listen to music when I'm trying to think or do something. They're not bad genres of music, they just do't agree with me, and neither does spinach. (jk)

Image (by Ender)

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

thank you DatVu for keeping this from being a public private message. I really only listen to rock. My favorite bands right now are Flyleaf Paramore and Evanescence and right now i mostly listen to paramore but Flyleaf are still my favorite. I can sing a little and i wanna either be taught by someone or teach myself how to play guitar. i tried. i dont know if i was good or bad. but i cant play much becuase the person who's guitar it was wasnt there in the first place. I've always wanted to learn the electric bass but i doubt that'll ever happen.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:23 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Go for it, guitar is awesome and you will never regret it.

Yeah, I listen to various forms of rock mostly. Right now I'm kinda listening to soundgarden a lot, but who knows what it will be next week.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

pokemon ranger wrote:
thank you DatVu for keeping this from being a public private message. I really only listen to rock. My favorite bands right now are Flyleaf Paramore and Evanescence and right now i mostly listen to paramore but Flyleaf are still my favorite. I can sing a little and i wanna either be taught by someone or teach myself how to play guitar. i tried. i dont know if i was good or bad. but i cant play much becuase the person who's guitar it was wasnt there in the first place. I've always wanted to learn the electric bass but i doubt that'll ever happen.

Thats more Pop than Rock. Not saying thats bad, but the only pop I listen to is Weezer and occasionally Paramore. Everything else = Heavy Rock (Metal, Grunge, Rap-rock, Alt)

Mon May 11, 2009 3:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]