It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Favorite TCG Artists 
THE POWER IS ON!

So for people such as myself who collect Pokemon cards but don't have duels with them (haha, are they called "duels" in real life? My only point of reference is the TCG Game Boy game), one of the most important factors of a Pokemon card is the artwork. And the cool thing to me about the TCG is that there are so many different card artists who all have very distinctive styles.

My favorite artist is Atsuko Nishida. I'm not certain of this artist's gender, but I've seen a female artist named Atsuko Nishida in search results so I'll assume she's a woman. Anyway, I really like Atsuko Nishida's style. More recently it looks like she uses watercolors in her artwork, and she really has a knack for bringing out the cuteness in a Pokemon (example). Admittedly her style doesn't work as well when she draws Pokemon that are less cute, but she's still a very solid and capable artist. After Atsuko Nishida, some more of my favorites are Kagemaru Himeno and Kouki Saitou. Kouki Saitou have a very bright, clean style that I enjoy, while Kagemaru Himeno, like Nishida, tends to make the Pokemon look really cute.

Ken Sugimori is always great, of course, but his cards do get a little boring because they use the same promotional art that you can see anywhere. I really liked when he made some new drawings for the Kanto Pokemon in the Gym Heroes/Challenge sets because they differed from his typical style a little bit (Misty's Poliwag?) and weren't the same old promotional pictures.

In fact, the only TCG artist whose work I don't care for is Tomokazu Komiya. Honestly, the first card of his that I ever saw was Neo Genesis' Slowpoke, and I always thought that Slowpoke looked like it was melting in that card's picture. And, unfortunately, I feel that a lot of Tomokazu Komiya's art looks just as bad as this Slowpoke card, with many of his Pokemon randomly sweating or looking uncomfortable, not to mention having horrible poses and/or abstract styles and backgrounds. (See: Dark Slowking.) I know nothing about this artist as a person, but his artwork tends to be incredibly bizarre/ugly.

What do you guys think about the artists?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Being a player first and collector second, I am sad to admit I do not know the artists at all. If it means anything, there's this one Cherrim card (I think Krisp used it as an avatar awhile ago) that I though looked so cute and adorable.

Yeah, I tend to like the cute/adorable artwork more I think.

Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:15 pm
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

The slowpoke made me lol.

I don't know the newer artists, but looking through my old cards, I really like the art of Mitsushiro Arita. It's very natural and well shaded, unlike Sugimori's cut&pastes. (look up the original Weedle card, and Jungle Cubone) Sugimori's trainer cards tend to be quite good though.

I also like Atsuko Nishida's art. The old promo pikachu card is sooooooooo cute!

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:39 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

My favorites are Ken Sugimori, and Kagemaru Himeno,

Quote:
Sugimori's cut&pastes

Their still awesome, I like the art he does, and when its on a TCG card, that's even better. =D

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:58 am
THE POWER IS ON!

If you guys were wondering, the banner on the forums uses art from the TCG. Atsuko Nishida drew Ralts and Kirlia while Kagemaru Himeno drew Gardevoir. I guess it's not really a surprise to me because I always liked those three pictures and Atsuko Nishida and Kagemaru Himeno are my two favorite TCG artists.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm not much of a collector or player anymore, but what I really liked about them was the artwork. The game was kind of fun, but I would always rather have a card with a sweet pick of my favorite pokemon than the most powerful card in the game.

I would have to look at some of my old cards to remember exactly which ones were my favorites. Might have to do so sometime soon.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm just going to look through my collection to see which ones I like, but here we go.

Shin-ichi Yoshida- Made a Cyndaquil card from the Neo-genesis pack. I actually cried when I first saw the picture, I have no idea why.

Toshinao Aoki- Most of the cards that this artist illustrated have a very simple design, and I dig it.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

After seeing an awesome Articuno card that I love, I'm going to add another name to my list: Masakazu Kukuda.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:15 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My two favorite artists are Yuka Mori and Kouki Saito

I like how Mori uses clay to make the pokemon and then photograph them outdoors to give them a very natural look (such as Xatu from EX Deoxys)

Saito generally draws very crisp and fresh looking art which I enjoy a lot (such as Scyther from EX FRLG)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:18 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Reviving this thread to praise Kanako Eo's talents:

Dewgong | Roserade | Ponyta | Mudkip

She's amazing and needs to make more cards. I love her style.

My top ten artists would probably be as follows:
10. Hironobu Yoshida
09. Midori Harada
08. Mitsuhiro Arita
07. Ken Sugimori
06. Masakazu Fukuda
05. Naoyo Kimura
04. Kouki Saitou
03. Kanako Eo
02. Kagemaru Himeno
01. Atsuko Nishida

Upon doing some research since my first post in this topic, I was actually surprised to learn that Yuka Morii, Atsuko Nishida, Midori Harada and Kagemaru Himeno are all actually women (Himeno was the TCG's first female artist, having illustrated cards since Jungle set). It's not too surprising since they have very feminine and cute styles, though. Another useless piece of trivia is that Ken Sugimori is the TCG's most prolific artist with over 700 cards to his credit. Mitsuhiro Arita follows with 373 and Kagemaru Himeno takes third with 365.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Atsuko Nishida, Kanako Eo, Ken Sugimori, Mitsuhiro Arita, Ryo Ueda and Masahiko Ishii. I know it's a lot, but these are all the best artists. One of my other favorite who has a very unique style, is Midori Harada.

My Top 10:

1. Ryo Ueda
2. Masahiko Ishii
3. Midori Harada
4. Ken Sugimori
5. Mitsuhiro Arita
6. Kanako Eo
7. Atsuko Nishida
8. Kouki Saitou
9. Kagemaru Himeno
10. Masakazu Fukuda

The only artists I don't like are Tomokazu Komiya and Yukiko Baba. I have a Haunter card illustrated by Yukiko Baba, and it is the ugliest thing.

friends FC black:0261 0441 3891

Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:45 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Kouki Saito. I especially like his artwork for the legendary dogs in one of the POP sets. He seems to do a good job on legendary Pokes.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I don't really care about the Drawers but Ken Sugmori is pretty good

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I personally love Yuka Marii (My personal favorite). The little clay Pokemon are adorable. :D

(Btw, Cactuar. GO CHIEFS. KC MOFOS. just saying.)

Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]