It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Watchmen 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Who has read Watchmen or will see the movie??

Excellent book, though difficult to understand fully, movie looks great.

Who's side do you think is right?
The Comedian? Dr. Manhattan? Ozymandias? Nite Owl?

for me, it's Rorshach.
Sure, he might be a hypocritical psycho, but he's b-a. Also, he understands how people work, and the pain of the individual. He also prefers to silently create a better world one bit at a time than to unify it under fear.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:59 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I read the watchmen a couple months ago. Didn't quite like the ending but otherwise an excellent read. I keeping on topic with discussion I agree that Rorshach is right at the end though for different reasons. He believed that America's knowledge of the truth was more important than their safety, and in the end thats more American than keeping everyone in the dark.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Saw the movie.

Watchmen-Rated R (I'd say rated R+, but that's just me)

Rating: 6.9/10
Very well made, adheres very well to the book. However, like the book it was long, difficult to comprehend at times, and quite frankly, boring at parts.

Pros: Captures the essence of the book nearly perfectly. Rorshach is pulled off most convincingly, as are, for that matter all the other masked vigilantes. Very creative in terms of interpreting and combining the scenes from the graphic novel to the screen. Maintains the novel's 'go through it again and you'll see so many little things that you didn't notice before' quality. Ending is better than the book's in my opinon.

Cons: Many unecessary extras. Much blood, gore, guts, and death. Dr. Manhattan has many, many, many full frontal nudity shots. A softcore sex scene (seriously. when Laurie starts going up and down the theater was like "whut?" and when there is a close up, the audience was like "whooooaaaaa.... too much". ) was quite unecessary. not for children or young adults who do not know how things actually work. Unecessary guts hanging from the ceiling when Dr. Manhattan blows someone up. Did I mention full frontal nudity? Also leaves out few semi-important scenes such as the death of Hollis Mason and Rorsach's first visit to Happy Harry's. Also, animation is very reminiscant of the 300 style; when Laurie and Nite Owl II are fighting the prisoners, I thought to myself, "Well, at least none of them have lobster claws."

Also a new meme. At Rorshach's death, a random close up on Nite Owl II just randomly screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!". (i.e. "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!") The scream, and Nite Owl's presence at Rorshach's death are not in the book.

All in all, a decent movie, excellent adaptation of a book. Blood and nudity could have been easily toned down a bit, and the movie is understandably long. I suggest you see it if you are interested. But if you cannot, don't worry. It's not that special.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:27 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Twas an awesome movie....i will agree that some of the nude scenes were spaced kinda randomly...at one point I was like kool action -watchwatchwatch- then i was like whoa...different kind of action there....

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:01 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Quote:
All in all, a decent movie, excellent adaptation of a book. Blood and nudity could have been easily toned down a bit, and the movie is understandably long. I suggest you see it if you are interested. But if you cannot, don't worry. It's not that special.

Really, if anything I think they could have been upped just a bit. It was everywhere in the original graphic novel. If people have a problem with that sort of thing they shouldn't be going to the watchmen to begin with.

I was actually really surprised at how true it was to the original though. Especially after such works as league of extraordinary gentleman. If they made that more like the watchmen it would have been so much better.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I went to see Watchmen with flaming_fox, and I agree with everything he's said about it. It was a stellar movie, and I plan on reading the graphic novel now.

Also, the "gore" and nudity didn't really scream "zomg graphic!!" to me.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:48 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I know what you mean with wanting to read the graphic novel now. Ever since seeing the movie I've wanted to reread it so much that I almost bought it on three different occasions only to decide not to as its at my library. Still might though, just one of those books thats nice to have around.

And I would like to suggest to anybody who watched to movie to not only read the graphic novel but also read pretty much anything else Alan Moore has written, League of Extraordinary Gentleman in particular.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I thought it was true to the book and an overall good movie. Not the best, but good. The nudity didn't bother me, it was part of Dr. Manhattan's character. The sex scene was long, but that is a Zack Snyder trademark.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]