It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Forum rules

It's not called THE BIG THREAD THAT ANSWERS ALL YOUR QUESTIONS for nothing. Use it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 No offence if any is taken. 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I recently read a post about an admin banning an IP for some inappropriate content....I fully agree that that person should have his/her account deleted but what if that person's siblings were to want to create an account....wouldnt banning the IP prevent that? :(

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 am
Report this post
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

linkfan57x wrote:
I recently read a post about an admin banning an IP for some inappropriate content....I fully agree that that person should have his/her account deleted but what if that person's siblings were to want to create an account....wouldnt banning the IP prevent that? :(

Yup. Too bad for the siblings, they are being punished for their sibling's actions, but it's the best way to prevent that person from doing it again.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:37 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

Yup. That's exactly the point. Because the moment someone gets banned for breaking the rules and ignoring warnings, suddenly their mother, their father, sisters, brothers, dog, 2nd cousin seven times removed, and pet goldfish all start crying about how they can't access the forums.

While it's true that, once in a while, a legitimate sibling is affected by a ban, 99% of the time, we're just preventing that same banned person from making more accounts and continuing to cause problems.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

True but also it is true that once a Democracy starts to deal in absolutes it is all downhill from there. Understand my point?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 pm
Report this post
Lite Four
Lite Four

This isn't a democracy. This is the internet, and this is the Psypoke forums, owned and operated by the Psypoke Elite Four and Lite Four. In otherwords, if I decide to ban someone, that person has absolutely no say in it, nor do the forum members. If that person's mom/dad/brother/sister/dog visits the forums too, tough :censored: , they should've stopped the behavior that got their IP banned in the first place.

Understand my point? :)

Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:02 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

This is indeed not a democracy. Just note that we do not ban IPs indiscriminately; as far as possible we only ban IPs as and when we see fit, when the pros outweighs the cons.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:06 pm
Report this post
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I am sorry ( yes the apology is needed because i can sense the hostility in your text). It is just that i believe that moderators shouldn't let annoyances get in the way of proper punishment. People do indeed need to learn their lesson but the amendment against cruel and unusual punishment was established for a reason....many people just need to grow up a little to see the error of their ways. People can change....it just may take some time...

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:18 pm
Report this post
Lite Four
Lite Four

Actually, I wasn't intending to sound hostile. As such your apology isn't needed. In fact I don't mind people like you voicing out your opinions.

I think my previous post already clarifies that we use an IP ban only as a last resort, when other punishments have been proven ineffective. There have been members who changed their behaviour in time to avoid similar punishments, so this is really for those recalcitrant offenders. It is, therefore, in my opinion, a proper punishment still in the occasions we mete it out.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:32 pm
Report this post
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Actually sNOwBaLL I wasn't referring to you when talking about the hostility...lol. I thank you for being a gracious moderator. It makes me feel good that some people with power use it for the good of humankind (not just for themselves)

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm
Report this post
Lite Four
Lite Four

Actually, our moderators are all gracious in nature. No matter how hostile they may sound. No, really (:

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:55 pm
Report this post
The Geek
The Geek

linkfan57x wrote:
but the amendment against cruel and unusual punishment was established for a reason

At the risk of repeating someone... This is the internet. Check out the forum rules; you'll note there is no amendment against cruel and unusual punishment. Indeed, banning an IP address is neither cruel nor unusual; it is an effective punishment used all over the internet.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:27 pm
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I understand that. What I meant was that people need to be given a chance...and I know that the banning of IPs is there for a reason....I am just against banning an IP over trivial matters...And I know that you guys don't do that if you can and I appreciate that. I am just stating my opinion so that you guys/gals could reply and people could read how rules are meant to be enforced because you guys/gals do an AWESOME job. Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:00 pm
Report this post
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]