It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How many sacks of meat does it take to bring down a plane? 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

3. Thats it - Just THREE

An Airbus 320, the plane that was used in flight 1549, was brought down by THREE (3) 10 pound sacks of meat. 81 Imperial tons of metal and plastic, brought down by less than 30 pounds of bone, featheer and skin.

What does this mean? Wel, it could mean that we need to equip passenger planes with anti-bird sirens - you know, something that is only heard by birds. Tell them to get out of our way, watch where they are going.

There's a bit of a bigger issue - the less infamous attack on the helivac in the sparsely populated state of Arkansas.

Discuss possible causes, anything from cell phones (we see its impact on bees) and a massive magnetic shift (they operate based on Earth's magnetic field) to a series of air battles, where the Avian class of animals is trying to gain dominance over mammals, and are doing it one battle at a time. Maybe they were hired by terrorist organization to kill humans, and not be linked? (That was a joke). Discuss anything you want to about causes, reprocussions, impacts on you, etc.

As for me, this is merely one more fact that proves the inefficiency of air travel:
1.) Burns too many fossil fuels - there is talk about bio-fuels, and fuel-cells that could work in planes, but all are too costly to implement, and not reliable - if the fuel cell fails mid flight, not only will pressure drop to the point that everyone dies, but you are looking at a high potential of crashing, which guarantees it.
2.) Interfering with animals (3 birds are dead from the airbus strike).
3.) There is absolutely no explanation as to how planes fly - one source behind this is http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... fly-really , the other is numerous weird-fact sites.
4.) If a plane crashes for any reason, there is a 1% chance overall that there will be one living person at least
5.) Trains/boats are safer.

As for why the birds are getting caught - we are at a tipping point, not climatologically, but geologically - we are overdue for a massive eruption, and the magnetic field of the Earth is being tampered with. In addition, it could be astronomical - solar flare cycle.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Are you sure this should be posted in a public forum, where the turrorists might see it? :? :? :?

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:41 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw. mccain lost, just to let you know.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
The Geek
The Geek

Peanut-Lover wrote:
3.) There is absolutely no explanation as to how planes fly

For someone so busy tutoring and trying to work on Molecular Physics, I'd think a concept as simple as "lift" would be within the grasp of your "magnificent" mind.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

this is, objectively speaking, a horrible topic. there are statistical models and graphs out there to prove it. objectively.

topic is now about dinosaurs--your favourites and how they are awesome and their affect on popular culture.

My fav is triceratops: three horns baby!!!!
Can you imagine riding one of these badboys to work.! That's the life my friend. :twisted:

Also:
Ohhhhh yeah. :shock: :oops:

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

i <3 raptors

look at that baby it's developed goddamn primitive feathers! it's the **** precursor of modern birds! it's an omnivorous BADASS.

remember kids: hitler supported tyrannosaurus because it's a giant evil pedo-lizard. true AMERICANS love velociraptors and SO SHOULD EVERYONE ELSE.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

gq wrote:
true AMERICANS love velociraptors

YESSIR! Velociraptors are amazing. They are like goddddddd.

I'm watching you...

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
YESSIR! Velociraptors are amazing. They are like goddddddd.

God... velociraptors....

RAPTOR JESUS HELL YEAH

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

goldenquagsire wrote:

RAPTOR JESUS HELL YEAH

That would be.....amazingly epic.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

raptors are awesome!

i liked to let them out of their electric fenced-in exhibits to eat all the tourists and small children in zoo tycoon :)

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

zoo tycoon was awesome!

i loved trapping people in lion cages. drowning them was fun as well... or was that only in rollercoaster tycoon where you could drown people?

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i think it was roller coaster tycoon only.

rct was even more fun..i'd build crazy utopias for my first guests, and then just have them walk wherever the hell they wanted and get pissed. and when i got bored, i drowned them.

it was fun to drown the staff, too, especially the entertainers. drowning panda / tiger / elephant ftw ;o

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

WHAT IS THIS TOPIC EVEN ABOUT

All I remember is P-L yapping on about something and then whoosh! Eighteen appeared and I lost sight of everything!

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

YAHOO OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION THREAD IS BACK

so i herd u liek obama

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:15 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah...Obama won. SUCK IT P-L.

Zoo Tycoon is fun. But you can't pick up visitors. ;.; But in Roller Coaster Tycoon, you can. ^-^

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

*cough*
Planes fly cuz of majiks. nuff said.

well actually if you want to know that badly, look up "Airfoil" or "Aerodynamics"

Actually, trains and boats aren't THAT much safer. If a boat hits a rock at high speeds, the boat is going down. If a train hits almost anything, the train is going to be insanely destroyed (seriously. looks up train wrecks. much more catastrophic. {mostly because there are more people on trains at a time than planes but... yea.})

When you compare one plane carrying 150 passengers across the country to 150 (give or take a few) cars driving across country, and then multiply that for each plane flight, it's insane the amount of fuel that is saved. Think of it as extreme carpooling. except you fly.

Interfering with animals? not really even close to any other mode of transportation. (think of roadkill, hunting, etc.) I mean, we have a word for when an animal is killed by a car. Roadkill. but we don't have "aerokill" or "flightpathkill". Believe me, planes do not have THAT significant or a direct effect on wildlife. It's not like every plane that takes off runs over four canada geese, a couple penguins, five kittens and a wallaby. [HYPERBOLE]

Quote:
4.) If a plane crashes for any reason, there is a 1% chance overall that there will be one living person at least

Where did this statistic come from? Did you look at all the parameters? Seriously. I can think of a few things wrong with this stat.
1. perhaps maybe it takes a much more catastrophic event to take down a plane that less people survive?
2. By that reasoning, the crash landing made recently would have been statistically near impossible. (start with 100 and divide by 100 for every person who survived.)
3. Perhaps the few number of plane crashes ever have been rather deadly?

lol.
By the way, you do know that the reason the plane went down is because the birds went through the ENGINES right?
If the bird hit the windshield or wing, it would not have caused the plane to fall. But when the bird tears up the engine, the engine is no longer functional. It's like a penny on a train track. except it's birds. in the air.

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:07 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Crunchy / EP - thank you for re-railing this topic. This was not at all about McCain vs. Obama. This has to do with the over-rated method of transportation.

As for why the planes fly, Bernoullis principle does not explain everything, and holes are there, plugged up with simple explanations that people take for granted.

You menitoned that trains are more devastating - if a train loses power, it doesn't fall, it doesn't have cabin pressure differences to the extent we see on planes. If a plane loses power ebcause something gets caught in its engine, its screwed - had that plane been any higher, those people would have been dead.

If a penny is on a train track, it won't cause the train to completely derail and spill the passengers. If a squirrel was on the ground, and got caught in a car engine (don't ask) will the car automatically go BOOM?

I actually had a challenge with my friends, back in May on our way to the competition. Changes needed to be made, and I volunteered to give up my seat on the plane. We had a race - who could get through everything faster? In fact, I left from Penn Station to Washington, DC., and then hailed a cab to head over to their airport they were coming in to (Reagan, I think), and I beat them - by a half-hour.
When I was getting on the train, they were still going through security scans, taking off their shoes. They ahd to stand for a good half-hour, waiting to board, and I was half-way through NJ. The plane and the train were scheduled to leave at the same time, by the way. Things moved much faster. And I took the local (not the acela express).

Compare the fuel necessary per person for a train vs. a plane for 150 people - the train is better. And, they have come up ith the technologies to make them use even less, by having hgih-powered super-conducting magnets propel them along the tracks.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Peanut-Lover wrote:

If a squirrel was on the ground, and got caught in a car engine (don't ask) will the car automatically go BOOM?

No, but it just takes a inch piece of scrap metal to blow a tire, sending it off the freeway and into a ditch.

Also: How many fragments of foam does it take to blast a space shuttle to bits?

As for planes flying. I have to go with the principles of Occam's razor. Things that move fast and push air down will go up.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
I think you already know this, but I'm not a very good debater, but I will say this: :frustrated:

I don't have exact statistics with me to show you, but if we stopped air travel, that would mean building a alot more trains and boats. as we all can guess, trains are going to need train tracks, and we all know that train tracks are awfully messy things, that hug the ground, and make the place look untidy, and less place to build living....places. and boats take to damn long to get you to where you want to go, and it might add more pullution to the one clear place we have left, the ocean. (boats are expensive). plus, all these extra trains, cars, and boats are gonna need fuel, I don't know wxactly, but I think they're gonna need more than what planes we have today.

and planes are convenient because they take you to where you want to go straight, most of the time. but if your going on trains, there's going to be a lot of getting off, and getting on, and it's just going to be really annoying.

.....you don't know how planes fly? do you think it's just magic, that humans just put together a hunk of metal and it miraculously lifted off the ground?

planes are the safest way to travel. and they're harder to hijack.

P.S: there isn't a shortage of birds you know....

Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 pm
Profile YIM
Lite Four
Lite Four

Peanut-Lover wrote:
I actually had a challenge with my friends, back in May on our way to the competition. Changes needed to be made, and I volunteered to give up my seat on the plane. We had a race - who could get through everything faster? In fact, I left from Penn Station to Washington, DC., and then hailed a cab to head over to their airport they were coming in to (Reagan, I think), and I beat them - by a half-hour.
When I was getting on the train, they were still going through security scans, taking off their shoes. They ahd to stand for a good half-hour, waiting to board, and I was half-way through NJ. The plane and the train were scheduled to leave at the same time, by the way. Things moved much faster. And I took the local (not the acela express).

Well it might have been faster to go by non-air forms of travel in this case, due to all the procedures in place at the airport. But try getting to, say, Australia, by non-air travel. You merely explained why it is convenient to stick to other forms of transport for travel over shorter geographical distances.

By the way, I like

Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:32 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

but sNOwBaLL thats not a dinosaur!!! :evil: :mad: :twisted:

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

This thread isn't EXTREME enough.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:14 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

YEP YEP YEP

;_;

Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:20 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I challenge anyone to look at the following .gif and not smile/laugh/giggle:

Giving you time to compose and prepare yourself....

GO

Post in thread if you lol'd. (also include fav dino etc)

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I laughed. :P

I like triceratops. :O

Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next