Most likely paired with ZAPDOS

Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:52 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Marowak for sure

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:55 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I would Choose Marowak since you're going to pair it with Zapdos. If you paired two Fires together, then there would be an issue if they were against water pokemon. Type coverage isn't a major problem of course but you always want to make sure that your team isn't open to many threats, and since it's double to make sure they support each other.

Also, I wouldn't have an Expert Belt on a Marowak, instead try a Thick Club, which you can find on Cubones when they swarm next time. The advantage of a Thick Club over an Expert Belt is that an Expert Belt only works when the move is super effective (so I don't know why you put Rage or Double-Edge in there) and only gives a 1.3x boost to the move. Thick Club increases attack by 2x at any time you are using a physical move.

I would also suggest when Platinum comes out in the US (or wherever you live) that you get Marowak move Tutor'd for Fire Punch, and pretty much follow this moveset guide: Smogon's Marowak Set. You could get a better set there instead of relying on Rage or Double Edge.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

But I was wondering if get not being effected by electricy would still trigger Rage
I know it will work with houndoom, but houndoom has poorer Attack
See houndoom would use rage, Heatran Would use Lava Plume boosting Houndooms AT and fire moves
but I know what you mean by diversifing types
and I think I mean't musle band

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:13 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Well, still Muscle Band vs Thick Club (for Marowak) is always going to be Thick Club. Muscle Band only improves by something like 1.5x. And I'm not sure that an Electrice Move would trigger rage, but rather than that, try Swords Dance for Marowak, it increases Att more than one Rage, and you don't waste your partner's turn just to bring your Attack one Stage up.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What are their natures?

If you're using Marowak, be sure it's not going to lightning rod in zapdos' attacks. Also, use Heatran with Houndoom if Heatran has a useful Hidden Power. Really, I'd do whichever two you prefer. But me, I'd use Heatran and Houndoom.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:47 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

I say the marowak/zapdos paring is better, but why run rage which gives 1 boost a turn over swords dance, which gives 2 boosts. Titan is right, run Thick club over expert belt and make sure the marowak's ability is not lighting rod. Though with thick club you can forgo SD and just start sweeping, 568 attack is good enough. Also keep in mind both share an Ice weakness.

As for the houndoom/heatran paring, both of them share 3 weaknesses. Surf,EQ will sweep both of them away. I'd run heatran as a sweeper and use the houndoom as more of a statuser/sash counter
Adamant @ flash fire
252 ATK 38HP 220 SPD
Focus sash
-Counter
-Will o wisp
-Sucker punch
-protect(to scout/block a poke trying to knock off it's sashed HP) or Fire fang/overheat, but I'd leave fire to heatran.

Titan of Lightning wrote:
Muscle Band only improves by something like 1.5x

it's only a 10% boost to all physical moves.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:27 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Marowak doesn't need lighting rod discharges hits all pokemon in battle
but I now know that eletricty won't triger rage
The reason that I chose rage instead of swords dance is for EACH time a pokemon is attacked their AT stat is rasied one level

Now this is how it should work

T1 HD = Rage, (HT)=Lava plume, Result Now Houndoom has already recived at least 1 AT boost Plus a 50% boost in Fire Power and Depending on what else attacked him up to 2 more stat gain

T2 Repeat Turn 1 Result Now Houndoom has already recived at least 2 AT boost Plus a 100% boost in Fire Power and Depending on what else attacked him up to 4 more stat gain or maximuim stat

T3 Attack or Repeat what ever the situation calls for

Perhaps I should use a different Item on Houndoom
But Marowak will not work here

Also If I used Beat up on any pokemon that had just used Rage It would Maximise AT in 1 Turn
But to avoid Killing the Rager They would have to Have good DF Like Steelix
and the Rest of the team would have to have poor AT such as Walls and special Sweepers

Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:36 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Quote:
Marowak doesn't need lighting rod discharges hits all pokemon in battle

No it doesn't.
Smogon's Definition of Lightning Rod wrote:
All Electric attacks, even those from your ally in 2v2, hit this Pokémon with 100% accuracy, regardless of the intended target. If a Pokemon with LightningRod and a Pokemon using Follow Me are out at the same time, and a Pokemon uses an Electric attack targeted at the Follow Me user's team, LightningRod will still take precedence and absorb the attack. Hidden Power is never attracted by LightningRod, even if Hidden Power is Electric.

Also, that sounds like a good idea for Houndoom, and for the Beat Up thing, just remember that the Houndoom will beat itself up as well unless under a status condition.

Also the Heatran and Houndoom plan you set is actually good, considering that Houndoom can't learn Swords Dance, though I sort of am still a little picky about using Rage, because it only has 20 base damage and is Normal and only has half the PP as Howl, which has the same affect except without making the weak damage.

If you do continue with Rage, battling against Rock Types will be a pain since Fire nor Normal do much damage to them.

Also you must consider that Houndoom has a greater Special Attack Stat than his Attack, with a difference of 20 base stat points. Houndoom also learns Nasty Plot, and it can learn Flamethrower, and all these factors would mean a greater damage. There are some sets here you may want to think about.

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:56 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

{squirtle} Marowak seems like the obvious choice to me.

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:23 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

{marowak} adamant or jolly 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 hp
-earthquake
-stone edge
-iron tail
-aerial ace

lightning rod for more fun

dunno about items, but this looks decent

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]