It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 travel discussion 
Lite Four
Lite Four

I love to travel, and taking Hyperjack's suggestion seriously, I made a thread about it.

What places have you guys been, and where did you stay while you were there? As much as I like to travel, I haven't done much of it in my life. :( I live in northern Ohio, and when I was a kid (my parents were divorced), my dad got my brother and I every other weekend. Every once in a while, my dad would take us to hocking hills in southern Ohio. For all you Ohioans out there, you know southern Ohio (going into Kentucky) is backwoods, so it's kinda nice and remote to visit. It was great seeing all the hills and stuff, and I liked spending time with my brother and dad. We also drove through Columbus, which is probably the largest city I've been to. We stayed at some random hotel, one with a pool and stuff. In the morning (I'd stay up all night and wake up ridiculously early for some reason), I'd turn on the TV and watch Pokemon or some other show I didn't get on cable back at home. My dad didn't watch his kids too well, so my brother and I would go out "exploring" the hotel at the darkest hours of the night. It was always great...I wish it didn't have to end.

Also, the three of us and our cousin would go to Cedar Point every year. I got to ride all the big rollercoasters with my little cousin Tyler. My dad would go on all the kiddy rides with my brother Josh because he was too scared to get on the big coasters for some reason. One time Tyler and I waited in line for 3 hours to ride the Millennium Force (back then it was the largest coaster in the world.) We baked in the sun, and at the end of the trip, our skin was beet red... I remember riding some water ride at the very end of the night before the park closed and getting soaked. I really wish I didn't do that...I was so cold on the ride back home. It was mid July, but it felt like November after that. We ate at Burger King when the park closed, and they had the air conditioner cranked. Tyler and I shivered the entire time, and on the way back home my dad had to turn the heat on. :P Great times...

Any other stories?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Patchy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:16 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've been to many places, I'll make a list. :O!

-NYC, when I was 8, for my birthday, I'm going back again this summer for an architecture program at the Pratt Institute in Manhattan.
-Chicago, a couple spring breaks ago, it was a really fun trip.
-Dallas, multiple times, because my best friends live there and we love seeing them.
-San Antonio and the surrounding countryside, for the '05 NCAA Final Four when Georgia Tech was in it.
-Seattle and Victoria, just for the fun of it I guess.
-San Francisco, multiple times, I went there once for fun and the other time I went to meet Will Wright.
-San Diego, because we were too lazy to drive to L.A.
-Cabo, spring break, then drove back up to S.D..
-Boston, for the Georgia Tech v. Boston College game.
-Montreal, I was really young for this one.
-Calgary, I have NO clue why we even went here.
-Miami, because we're cool like that.
-Orlando/Disney World/Islands of Adventure, multiple times, I went for Spring Break this year and I'm going for Thanksgiving Break as well.
-D.C., because our house in Virginia is too damn boring, day trip!
-New Orleans, in which I got shoved in a small glass box and threw up after I ate a horrible cookie, I was young.
-Las Vegas, some party thing that my parents went to, my siblings and I got dragged along.
-Denver, another random trip, thanks to my mother.
-PARIS, the love of my life, I'm going back next spring break and I hope to not come back. >:D
-AMSTERDAM, another love, but less lovely because of the language barrier. ;-;
-LONDON, its kind of overrated, but nice nonetheless.

Overall, I'm not sure which trip is my favorite, but I still need to hit up Australia and Asia before I can make a good assessment.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:53 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I've been to some of the other local islands of my country (lol stalker protection), as well as:

-London, UK It was really awesome, my Dad took our family there as part of the Rugby World Cup 2007 trip.

-Marcelle, France (Forgive me if I spelt "Marcelle" wrong) It was gorgeous and had a lovely Mediterranean feel to it most of the time. I really liked it, except that there was a crazy lady across the road from us that had a bunch of dogs and would yell at us every time we walked past.

- Paris, France Now I understand the big hype about Paris, it truly amazing. (Well, except for the few snotty French people who don't like tourists, but those were few and far between.)

- All over Canada, I don't think I can remember all of the names of the cities, but I've been to BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ottawa. (I'm too lazy to write out the names of the major cities I remember :P)

- Most of the Southern states of the USA. (lol stalker protection again). I've also been to Salt Lake city, Philly and Chicago, but not really outside the airport.

If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:09 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I don't go to too many places, but here's a list.

Key Largo & Key West: Beatiful beaches, and of course there was Margaritaville...
Ft. Myers & Naples: One of our old friends lives there so we stop by there every now and then
Albany, GA: A small town where my uncle & aunt used to live. They recently divorced.
Long Island: A lot of my family on my mom's side live in the New York area
Lebanon, Oregon: A lot of my family on my dad's side lives there.
Washington DC: My most recent trip, all to see a soccer game. USA won 6-1 though, so it was worth it. I also got to see the Pentagon, though that was entirely by accident.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 am
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Just the thought of myself on a plane makes me feel dizzy and uncomfortable. If there's one thing I love to do is visiting new places; but unfortunately, that sometimes needs to be preceded by hours of terrible agony and sickness.

Funny thing is, I have visited more cities on a foreign country than my own. I have visited the city of São Paulo (to the biggest Brazilian anime fair, the Anime Friends), Nuporanga (part of my family lives there) and Ribeirão Preto, which are located in the state of São Paulo. I have visited the Beto Carrero World amusement park, in Penha (state of Santa Catarina), but I didn't get to see the town itself. Also In the state of Rio de Janeiro, I've been to Penedo, Angra dos Reis, Cabo Frio and Búzios; and I've obviously been to the city of Rio de Janeiro, because that's where I live.

I've been to Buenos Aires, Argentina (where I ate some delicious meat and bought really unexpensive good clothes), and Punta del Este, Uruguay (I loved it; unexpensive brand clothing and accessories, and a delicious place to live).

I've been to the United States four times. The first time I was eight years old, mom took me to Disney World, Orlando; second time I was seventeen, and went there with some friends. The third time I went to New York City, and I simply loved it. Last time was this year; I went to visit my cousin, who lives in Huntington Beach, California. She took me and her sister to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. That same trip, we went to the amusement parks Six Flags, Universal Studios Hollywood and Disneyland.

I visited Canada last year (or was it two years ago?); our goal was to study English, but we had more fun than we actually studied. We lived in Toronto, but also visited Québec and Montreal. That is definetly the best country in the world.

I went to Italy a few years ago, also for studying. We lived in a small town called Castelraimondo, but also visited Rome (I unfortunately didn't in fact tour it), Venice (I guess that was my favorite), Urbino, San Marino, Florence, San Giminiano, Salerno (my mom's half of the family's from there) and a few others. I almost went to Spain as well.

I've been to Paris, France. Stayed there for a few days. My advice is, stay there at least a week, if you want to go to the most famous touristic places; we've only stayed four or five days, and it wasn't enough.

I've been to England seven years ago (also visited Wales), and lived in a city called Salisbury for a month. I also visited London and Oxford (mostly the university, where I bought the most beautiful sweater I've ever had, but only wore it for a few days before my dog destroyed it).

Those are all the places I've been to that I can remember, and I want to visit more.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:35 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Most of my youth was long, dragging months which stretched between the fantastic two-week vacations we took to the Gulf Coast region of southern America, the little band between coastal Louisiana and the western portion of the Florida panhandle. We hooked up with family friends and rented relatively remote beach houses. One in particular was a repeat favorite. My godsister and I would do crafty things and host "radio shows" on a tape recorder. The whole crew was involved in setting crab traps and cooking the catch. We made plaster sand casts. My father painted. My entire life is now focused on giving the experiences of those summers to my kids.

When my father was diagnosed with cancer, he decided he'd do a lot of the trips he'd always wanted to do. For about a year and a half, ages eight and nine, we went all around the southeastern US to visit Civil War sites. I learned a lot from his knowledge of the battles and had a lot of fun. We also went to Disney World (lol, like everyone else here). It was the only time I've been, though in a couple years I'll be taking my own family there.

Went to DC in the sixth grade on an epic class trip. We took the train and stayed in a swanky hotel and saw all the monuments that counted. We also witnessed some of the filming of The Firm and sneaked pictures of Tom Cruise. :P

My only trip overseas was to Israel for two weeks with my aunt. This was back when I was still half-entangled in evil evangelism, so I got absolutely nothing of value from the trip. I'd like to go back now that I've cleared some filters from my vision and could maybe see things the way they really are. Though I'd like to not get hit by rockets. It was pretty dumb of my aunt to take me there so shortly after the tunnel bombing in the first place.

I've been to Canada once (I live on the friggin' border now, but I've only been once, years ago). I'd stay, but they drive on the left side of the road. When they're supposed to drive on the right. Please, Canadian citizens, at least drive on the right when you come down to America. :cry:

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:01 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Before my dad was fired, he got to take business trips all the time. Las Vegas, Denver, New Orleans, Dallas..he's been a lot of places. Royce and I never got to go with him, because he'd have to pay for the two of us and around the time he took most of his trips I always got a bad case of homesickness, even when sleeping at a friend's house next door.

He did take us on one, though, and that was to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I was in third grade, Royce was in pre-school..I had to miss PJ day at school for the trip. And I was crying because my dad didn't show up on time and I thought he left without me, lol.

It wasn't any funner than a day at the McDonald's Playplace, really. The car ride was long, hot and boring. Though the hotel we were staying at was gorgeous (and I'd love to see the place again), we weren't allowed to stay very long and were kicked out right after my dad's business meeting in the morning. He had some mean old lady watch over Royce and I during the meeting, and we were forced to watch a fish that looked like Dory for an hour or two.

I think I was in fourth or fifth grade when we took our next trip, this time with my aunt, uncle and three cousins. We went to Frontier City in Oklahoma City. We all had a lot of fun..I was afraid of The Hangman, but I really wanted to try it, so I told everyone I was going to go ride it while we were sitting down on benches drinking lemonade and sprite. According to them, I randomly disappeared, so I had to go to the hotel with my dad and get everything set up for the days we'd be staying there. I did get to go back, but I don't remember anything important happening after that. We also went to some water park the next day.

Since then, my family hasn't traveled much, if at all.

If it counts for anything, my dad lived in Japan for four years.

Last edited by Valentine on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I guess you could say I like to travel.

-Various locales in the United States. Florida, Las Vegas, and New York City I've been to three times, and I've also been to Zion, Wyoming, Texas, California, and basically every southwestern state. I go to Nebraska 2-3 times a year.
-Mexico, twice. Once at Playa del Carmen for a beach lounging vacation. It was my first time out of the country. I went again this summer with a group and we repaired and orphanage in Puebla. Then we went to Mexico City and I got MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE.
-I've been to Panama, Colombia, Aruba, Curacao, The Cayman Islands, Key West, and like four other small tropical islands as part of a cruise. It was great.
-Beijing and Xi'an, China. We were in China for one week, and it was horrible but great. We were so jet lagged for the first two days so we were pretty out of it. We tried to cram every touristy thing into this one week, The Forbidden City, Great Wall, Terra Cotta Warriors, four thousand palaces to emperors, etc. We also went to Chinese Opera which is hilarious and everyone should see it.
-Amman, Jordan. I went to Jordan with an exchange program and stayed there for a month. We also went to Petra which was reaaalllllyyyyy cool. And the Dead Sea, which was also awesome.
-Barcelona + other small Spanish towns. I did this in conjunction with the next trip.
-Basically all of Provence. My choir did a two week tour of the Mediterranean and we stayed in Barcelona in Spain and Montelemar in France. It was great fun but really hot.
-The Frankfurt Airport.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:26 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: somewhere in time. following your life. plotting to control you.
I have been to...

Washington D.C.
Most of virginia
Newmarket, Newhampshire
Proto, Utah
Salt lake city, Utah
Las vegas, Nevada

And i come from the city of Great falls, Montana

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Location: Amazing avvy made by Afonso, be sure to visit the Fusion Market!
New York - I go there pretty much all the time, I was even there yesterday. I sometimes go to up-state New York for skiing and junk.

Philadelphia - I go there sometimes. I went to the Amish county part of Pennsylvania once but it was boring cause of no electricity D:

Washington D.C - I went there once for vacation, a lot of beggers. Pretty nice though.

Florida - Went there for spring break a few years ago. Pretty overrated.

Vermont - I go there often for skiing now, I don't really do anything else except that.

COUNTRIES

Canada - I used to go there for skiing, pretty cool place.

Puerto Rico - I went there for spring break some time ago, nice warm weather. I almost drowned there cause of no Life-guards and strong currents.

Bahamas - Awesome, just awesome. I stayed at a hotel near the Atlantis hotel, I went in a tour for the Atlantis hotel and it is **** amazing.

Italy - Pretty cool place to be in. Hard for me to talk cause I don't know any Italian except "I don't speak Italian"

Germany - I stayed there for an hour, the airport is really different from all of the other ones cause it's really clean.

France - My most recent vacation, guess when it happened. Last spring break. I've only stayed in Paris but took a train to Bleguim.

Belguim - As I mentioned before. I only went to Brussels which was pretty cool. The Belguim waffles are as good as everyone say they're.

United Kingdom - Airport only :3

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I guess I've been to Newport in Oregon, because I saw Keiko once.

And the only places I've been to in Nevada are that side of Tahoe and near Mono.

I live in the center of Northern California, so everything up here is within three hours from me. :)

Monterey bunches of times, Point Reyes twice, Fort Ross once, Tahoe, San Jose, Santa Rosa to visit my grandparents, the Capitol (AHNALD), Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, Mono Lake, Big Trees State Park, Big Sur, Chico, Mt. Shasta...

I've never been to San Fransisco, which is crazy, but we've been in the bay on a friend's boat :(!

I've only been in the southern part of the state once: Riverside, San Diego (zoo), Catalina :D, Pismo Beach, drove through LA.

That's pretty much it. :(

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:05 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Kirke wrote:
-I've been to Panama, Colombia, Aruba, Curacao, The Cayman Islands, Key West, and like four other small tropical islands as part of a cruise. It was great.

~

-Amman, Jordan. I went to Jordan with an exchange program and stayed there for a month. We also went to Petra which was reaaalllllyyyyy cool. And the Dead Sea, which was also awesome.
-Barcelona + other small Spanish towns. I did this in conjunction with the next trip.
-Basically all of Provence. My choir did a two week tour of the Mediterranean and we stayed in Barcelona in Spain and Montelemar in France. It was great fun but really hot.

That's, like, my dream travelogue.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:25 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've been out of Britain twice; once when I was too young to remember, and the other time I went to France, where I visited Paris and Calais. Within Britain, I've been to Dorset, Devon and London on holiday, alongside visiting Wales, Shrewsbury and Liverpool with reletives, and going to various places for various other reasons.
I'm going to Boulounge in France some time this year with school.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:49 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

As much as I love seeing new places and staying in hotels, I dislike travelling. People always expect stupid little gifts. X(

I've been to Italy a coupla times, Germany, Austria, Czech, France, Taiwan
In US, San Fran, Chicago, other places I can't remember cause they aren't important enough... :P

The most horrid thing is travelling alone... I hate being squashed by some random stranger on the plane or bus. especially when that random stranger is a pickpocket.

My favorite? Northern Italy.
Why?
1. I can understand a bit of the language (Latin+English= Ancient Italian, Future German :P)
2 SCHNITZEL!

quae incensus cogitat grama esse bonus.
incendit per noctam,
et sic excitavit;
invenit veru magnum ano.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
I've been to Minnesota, Montana, Florida, Washington D.C, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and all of the states in between if you want to count them.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:16 pm
Profile YIM
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

My family was always too poor to do anything. My father never took me on a vacation and my mother took me to Niagara Falls once many years ago, and then NYC in 2002. Most of my vacations since then were entirely paid by myself. I've been to Detroit; Chicago; Ingadine, MI twice; Anna Maria Island, FL twice; NYC again; Toronto twice; and Niagara Falls again. I'd like to go more places, but I'd also like to keep my vacations affordable, since traveling is expensive.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, I have been abroad only once, and that was Vienna, Austria. I don't remember anything though. I was 4 or something.

Other than that, I've been to Edirne, Kocaeli, Çanakkale, Gallipoli, Bursa, Bal?kesir, Hereke, Silivri, Marmaraere?lisi, ?zmir, Ku?adas?, Ayval?k, K?y?köy and Foça. I live in Istanbul, Turkey btw.

The Jonatron wrote:
Xatu Unlickely this guy wont get powered.

Last edited by Gnaaye on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:20 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I live in the southwestern part of Texas...Mexico's just a hop, skip, and jump away. Yay, a city where women are preyed upon and killed! Haven't been to Mexico in two years. The transition is so weird...crossing the bridge from the U.S. to Mexico. Anywho, my family and I really only commute from San Diego, CA and Wichita, KS because we have family there. It's been that way for years. But I spend most of my vacations in San Diego. Here are the other places I've been to:

--San Diego, CA: I go up there every summer to be spoiled my two aunts!
--Tijuana, BC, Mexico: dangerous nowadays, haven't been there in years
--Rosarito/Ensenada, BC, Mexico: freakin beautiful, the beaches are so nice.
--Phoenix, AZ: stayed with my mom's best friend. TOO HOT, hotter than the hell that is my city.
--L.A.: yuck.
--Mount Rushmore, SD: the scenery was beautiful, but I'm too much of a city girl to enjoy camping, even if it was at a KOA Kampground. The
drive sucked ass, almost 24 hrs. If it weren't for Pkmn Diamond, I would have died of boredom. However, we had to wait for a herd of buffalo to
cross the road
as we approached the campground.
--Devil's Tower, WY: really nice! The great plains are a nice contrast against the Black Hills of South Dakota.
--Carlsbad Caverns, NM: recently went there with my bf, so fun! I wanted to stay for the bat flight, but we would've been driving home too late.
--Fort Worth, TX: I was 12, don't remember much.
--Austin, TX: traveled with my bf's band to play a show there. It's fun if you like the whole "college" scene. Saw a prostitute.
--San Antonio, TX: also stopped there with the band to play a show. I love the culture there, and the riverwalk is pretty. Also went there
in 4th grade with my girl scout troop. It was the best!
--Wichita, KS: I hate it. The only reason I'd love it is because my other two aunts live there. And the snow is fun too in winter.
--Colorado, Nebraska...drove through it.

I'm still working on world travel. My nursing school does internships in Japan, China, Taiwan, Ecuador, and other places so I'm gonna shoot for those. I had the chance to go to Japan...blew it because I was so nervous during my interview. Boy did I feel like a bofa (bofa=dumbass in Spanish).

Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]