It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 End of the World? 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lt-it.html

That was the best link I could find on the internet, but it's a bit long and you might not fancy reading it, so I'll just explain briefly the 'Big Bang Experiment' taking place tommorrow, which I've heard stated by many people including on two BBC tv programs has a 1 in 50 million chance of creating a black hole and destroying the earth.
The objective of this experiment is to re-create one second after the big-bang, so we can unsolve mysteries of the universe. However, to be honest, I don't think that discovering these mysteries will actually help anyone, it just puts 6 billion peoples lives at risks. Who the hell let them do that? It might be a 1 in 50 million chance, but we don't know that it's not going to happen for sure, and the thought personally makes me feel uncomfortable, particularly seeing as I don't personally believe the universe was created in the big bang at all.

Discuss.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:27 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Well if it is going to happon we wont be able to post and discuss anything After tomorrow

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Ugh, you absolute 'tard.

Read this and shut up:
http://copache.wordpress.com/2008/04/04 ... dangerous/

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:45 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

Inta Xonem wrote:
and the thought personally makes me feel uncomfortable,
Discuss.

I agree It makes me shiver.

Quote:
Ugh, you absolute 'tard.

Are you calling Sonic Josh that?

I LIKE IT TO MUCH HERE

I'M BACK WELL TECHNICALLY I DID NOT LEAVE SO I AM NOW NOT LEAVING

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:47 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Quote:
Ugh, you absolute 'tard.

Read this and shut up:
http://copache.wordpress.com/2008/04/04 ... dangerous/

On the link I posted (or on another article on that site) there are interviews with two different scientists who both say there is a chance of it destroying earth.
That link you gave really doesn't answer much either, it just acuses me of being stupid.

Also, I'm sure the figure came from something like the news, or a BBC site page.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:57 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

No, Inta Xonem. You see, proton particles are so tiny that the collisions will actually be "about as powerful as two colliding mosquitoes". Any black holes caused will be lucky to suck in a domestic cat, let alone a planet.

Then read this too:

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-sci ... 2008-09-09

EDIT: And this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.j ... lhc105.xml

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:03 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
Well, if the world was consumed by a black hole, at least it ended in an awesome way.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

not going to end.

i'm sick of seeing all these 'OMG GUYS THE WORLD IS GOING TO END THIS WEEK!' on other forums i frequent, it's sad that i have to see them here too.

and everyone's calling the people who are doing the experiment dumbasses, when it's a great idea. we can learn from this. there is a 10^-19 chance the world will end when they go forth with the experiment. there is a 10^-11 chance of spontaneously disintegrating while shaving. whether you believe in the big bang or not, we're either going to learn, or nothing's going to happen at all. not believing in the big bang doesn't support the world ending on wednesday.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Geek
The Geek

Something will definitely happen. Could this machine destroy the world as we know it? Sure, it COULD. But it's horribly unlikely. The knowledge we stand to gain from the LHC, specifically it's initial experiment of an attempt to confirm the Higgs Boson (commonly called the "God Particle"), could completely revolutionize science as we know it.

If all this homework hasn't fried my brain, the big test is in 7 hours and 8 minutes. I can't wait to find out what happens.

Edit: One hour, 24 minutes. Also,

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Yeah, personally, I can't wait either. I have been keeping my eye on it for a while.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:29 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I think it's a great idea. Like Jiggz said, it could revolutionize science as we know it. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow morning.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

At least now, no one can say that particle physics is boring ;)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:34 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

So, does anyone know what happened or where to find out what happened or when the information will be released?

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

And the result is: We live.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 668971.ece

Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:19 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Good, I was worried we all died.

Th article doesn't say anything we don't know...... so I guess we wait until October 21st.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Why don't we not worry about it and live for today. I mean if it happens, it happens.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

1 in 50million chance of ending the world?
Our risk for death increases with every breath we inhale.
Roll the dice, play the cards; I'm excited to see what will come of this experiment.
Luck be a lady tonight. ;)

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

"I'm organising an uprising for people who have brains in their heads. I hereby urge all of you to put two or three pool balls in a sock, track down everyone you know who thought the world was going to end because of the Large Hardon Collider, and bash them in the head. I know I'm going to."

One of my friends proposed this way of increasing the average IQ of the entire planet. Who's in?

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm in! My friend Zach said we are lucky to be alive and I told him it wasn't over. He was like, "What, I can still die?!" I then told him they're trying it at full power October 21st. Now he's freaking out. I have already begun to mess with him. Yayz.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
If the world ended it would be on a friday, seriosly many religios books say that the world will end on a friday.
and if we all died in the eye of a black hole, THAT'D BE COOL!!!

Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:01 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Dude, If we died on Friday, that'd put such a damper on our weekend.
Monday's are when you want the world to end.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:56 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Location: credit goes to afonso for the avatar, and the "faceplant"
yeah well, If we're going to die; friday's a nice day for it.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:46 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

The issue I was trying to raise with this topic, rather than the fact that the world might have ended (which I knew was unlikely), was the fact that they had no idea on what the outcome of the experiment was, and that whether the chance was incredibly slim or not, the fact that they were risking our lives in the name of bloody research.
Also, the black hole wasn't the only way the world could have ended. The experiment could have done all sorts of things, including generate Anti-Matter. I think the 1 in 50million was just for the black hole creation.
The other thing is that they spent so much money on this thing. Imagine what you could do with that money that could help us with many problems that kill thousands every day. We could have brought safe drinking water to so many people without it, or we could fund childrens homes in Africa. We could have used that money to help find cures to things that kill millions like AIDs.
But instead we decided to gamble six billion lives just to answer some questions we don't really need answering.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Inta Xonem wrote:
The issue I was trying to raise with this topic, rather than the fact that the world might have ended (which I knew was unlikely), was the fact that they had no idea on what the outcome of the experiment was, and that whether the chance was incredibly slim or not, the fact that they were risking our lives in the name of bloody research.
Also, the black hole wasn't the only way the world could have ended. The experiment could have done all sorts of things, including generate Anti-Matter. I think the 1 in 50million was just for the black hole creation.
The other thing is that they spent so much money on this thing. Imagine what you could do with that money that could help us with many problems that kill thousands every day. We could have brought safe drinking water to so many people without it, or we could fund childrens homes in Africa. We could have used that money to help find cures to things that kill millions like AIDs.
But instead we decided to gamble six billion lives just to answer some questions we don't really need answering.

Actually, I'd love to have the question answered of how the world was created, without the WORLD, we wouldn't have starving people in Africa. :D! Anyways, I think that humans are naturally curious, and this time, curiosity didn't kill the cat. :3 You can patronize researchers because they didn't give money to Africa, its useless. Why don't you get your internet disconnected and use that money to donate to Africa?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah.. poplers made a point. And it's good to remember that this kind of research is very important. This kind of information can be useful to a lot of things, even to find another "livable" planet in the universe where we can run to when the humanitty ends with the resources here. (Maybe we could even create a new universe. That makes my head spin.. Imagine the possibilities..)
Anyway, yeah. that tons of money could have been used to help in a lot of other places, but.. don't you get even a little satisfied for that amazing discovery? C'mon..
And with that chances, it was an easy game.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next