It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 CD reveiw- Saimese dream (Smashing pumkins) 1993 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Well here's my album review for Siamese Dream, the greatest album of the 90's and possibly ever. Enjoy, I tried to pack it with facts and opinions.

Nitty gritty info-
-Released on July 27, 1993
-Performed by Billy Corgan (with a vengeance), James Iha, D'arcy Wretzky, And Jimmy Chamberlin
-Sold 4,000,000+ copies in the US, 6,000,000+ worldwide
-The album booklet was made up of old photographs of strangers and the corgan family and friends, and composed by Corgan and wife the day after they wed.
- The twins on the album cover were actually conjoined :shock:, but are now seperated. The pumpkins spent a while searching for them in 2007

Charts-
(album)
1994- UK album charts #4
1994- Australian album Chart #7
1993- The Billboard 200 #10
(singles)
1993- Cherub Rock- Modern Rock Tracks #7
1993- Cherub Rock- Mainstrem Rock Tracks #23
1993- Cherub Rock- UK Singles Chart #31 (Oh, and that number? A TRAVESTY)
1993- Today- Modern Rock Tracks #3
1994- Today- Mainstream Rock Tracks #22
1994- Today- UK Singles Chart #44 :evil: MOAR TRAVESTY BADNESS.
1994- Disarm- Mainstream Rock Tracks #5
1994- Disarm- Modern Rock Tracks #8
1994- Disarm- UK Singles Chart #11
1994- Rocket- Mainstream Rock Tracks #28

Rating- 9/10

General Overview-
Truly a masterpeice. One of my friends once described it as "an emotional rollercoaster of music", and I believe it's an apt description. Whereas many bands nowadays dismiss the guitar as background noise to appeal to the types who just want things done loud (Fallout Boy, Cough Cough), the many musicians of the nineties recognized it's potential and used it as the core of their songs, creating amazing melodies. No album demonstrated this better than Siamese Dream. With the guitar, Corgan and the others were able to express emotions through the instrument. When supported by drums, bass, and vocals (that's right all you youngsters, vocals as support. I know, it warped my mind at first.), they created amazing Incarnations for such emotions as-

THE FEELING OF FREEDOM, AND THE WILD REBELLION OF YOUTH AS -CHERUB ROCK-
This song blew me away when heard this. The guitar in it goes everywhere riff-wise, and it can be amazing. The feeling of it all is almost indiscribabal, but to sum it up to my best ability it's freedom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1N_qX_r4Iw

CHILDHOOD ENTHUSIASM IN -ROCKET-
I think the best way to listen to this song is accompanied by the video. When I watched it, I lapsed into nastolgic bliss of when Me and my friends went on our escapades, hunting for dino bones or buried treasure. Ah what a great, carefree time that was. And somehow they managed to capture it in the video. The lyric, bleed in your own light, makes me think of how different I was as a child, and how so many people encouranged me not to "bleed in my own light".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G2PZakdvUg

SORROW IN -DISARM-
The low, melodious sound of disarm is saddening, even depressing. They lyrics are Billy lamenting his fragile relationship with his parents, as expressed in lines such as 'What I choose is my choice' about their attempts to control him and 'cut that little child' (resulting in a ban in parts of the UK) discussing physical abuse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQtLoJlQD6E

That's all, and I hope you enjoyed it!

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]