It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Who's the strongest Pokemon trainer in the anime? 
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I was wondering about this a bit, as the anime doesn't completely follow the video games. Personally I think Lance is the strongest trainer that Ash and the other's have met so far. I know Lance is an Elite Four member and a Champion in the games but does the show ever mention him being a highly ranked trainer? It's a shame though, we don't really get to see how powerful he and his team are, though we know for sure, his Dragonite is awesome and could probably take out Ash's entire current team.

I wish that he appears again in a future episodes and maybe Ash and him will battle for the fun of it, like Paul and Cynthia did. So who do you think is the strongest trainer in the show?

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:37 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I'm not sure if this question can really be answered. First off, we've only ever seen 2 of Lance's Pokemon - Dragonite and the Red Gyarados. True, the Dragonite seems strong (taking down 2 Fearow pretty easily), but then again, we were led to believe that Drake's (Orange League) Dragonite was really powerful, but it was still defeated in a 6-on-6 match against weak-boy Ash.

When it comes down to it, the title of strongest trainer can't be given to any one person since strategy and the Pokemon chosen for the battle will make a big difference.

If, however, you want the quick answer, I'd say anyone with the title of 'Champion' is the strongest. That would imply Cynthia, Steven and Lance depending on the region (and I'm not even sure Lance was referred to as a Champion in the anime...).

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:41 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

^ True, Drake's Dragonite was defeated by Ash, but that Dragonite defeated three of Ash's Pokemon in a row and would probably have won against Pikachu too but he was too exhausted from the last three matches and lost not because he was weaker than Ash's Pikachu but merely because he was just so worn out and exhausted. But we can't really compare Drake's Dragonite from Lance's Dragonite, as I think Lance has had more experience, his Dragonite is probably stronger.

I rewatched the episodes Lance was in. In the older Pokemon episodes they never really explained what the elite four was and what the champion was. So when I was watching the episodes it sounded as if the Elite Four and Champion were the same thing. They mention that Lance is a Champion and an Elite Four Member, so maybe it implies that he was a member of the Elite Four, but later became the Champion of his region. Or it could have just been an inconsistency mistake.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:46 am
THE POWER IS ON!

Living Arrow wrote:
True, the Dragonite seems strong (taking down 2 Fearow pretty easily), but then again, we were led to believe that Drake's (Orange League) Dragonite was really powerful, but it was still defeated in a 6-on-6 match against weak-boy Ash.

First of all, Drake's Dragonite only went down after beating Ash's Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros and almost beating Pikachu. It's pretty damn powerful because in the anime you almost never see one Pokemon take down that many opponents in one match. And, second of all, Ash is not weak. Drake really was powerful and Ash still managed to beat him, and somebody who has come in the top 16 or the top 8 in three consecutive regional championships is hardly a "weak-boy."

Quote:
If, however, you want the quick answer, I'd say anyone with the title of 'Champion' is the strongest. That would imply Cynthia, Steven and Lance depending on the region.

But by beating both Drake in the Orange Islands and Brandon in the Battle Frontier, Ash has already earned the title of Champion. Twice.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that Cynthia is the strongest of the trainers we've seen in the Anime so far. She totally steamrolled Paul, and Paul, for all intents and purposes, is pretty much on par with Ash as far as ability goes, with the only exceptions being that Paul hasn't participated in the Orange League or the Battle Frontier. And for reasons already outlined, Ash isn't a slouch of a trainer himself. We haven't seen Lance against an opponent more competent than a Team Rocket grunt to really make a judgment on his abilities in the anime.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]