It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Jynx and Porygon episodes 
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Is there eally a reason (a good one) for banning {jynx} and {porygon} from the anime.

I mean, the ceisures were 'caused by Pikachu, not {porygon} why isn't he banned?

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:26 pm
The Geek
The Geek

I do believe James (Frost) wrote up a WONDERFUL article on this in the anime section. In short; porygon isn't banned, just the episode, but people bash pory for the stuff, and some psycho-woman claimed Jynx was racist, so it's been pulled too.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Jynx (and Mr. Popo of Dragonball Z) has been found to possess features similar to stereotypical African American characters in literature. These features include the jet black skin, giant lips and wiggly hips. A woman named Carol Weatherford complained of Jynx's character model after Holiday Hi-Jynx aired in America, and to avoid any backlash, Jynx's newer Anime appearances were edited out (I guess it's not worth the money to go back and edit her three seconds cameos from earlier episodes) and her skin has been recolored purple in the video games.

As for Porygon, I think the cute little computer coding is another taboo Pokemon. If you notice, both Porygon 1 AND 2 have never appeared in the actual Anime outside of the banned episode. I think, like with Jynx, that the creators are very cautionous to ever use Porygon 1/2 in the show again after the bad publicity that came from the seizure incident. Yes, the seizures were caused by Pikachu, but the episode was centered on Porygon, and took place in Porygon's cyberspace.

Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:47 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Frankly, I think that erasing a black Pok

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:44 pm
THE POWER IS ON!

Not really... I think the Japanese created Jynx and her stereotypical features by complete accident. Japan is a homogeneous society and there aren't many "African Japanese" to be found, much less those who know of old American literature stereotyping. So of course the Japanese wouldn't find anything wrong with Jynx; import her into the American culture, though, and you can draw parallels with the stereotypes. And somebody did that, and that's why Jynx was banned from the Anime and recolored purple in the games; to prevent from further offending anybody else.

It's kind of like when words have different meanings in different countries. If an American was watching a British TV show that uses the word "fag," obviously some would be offended because it's a derogatory name for homosexuals in North America. But in Britian, it's just a term for cigarettes.

Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:43 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

The Jynx episode was exhibited here on Brazil.
That episode is cool 8)

Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Which one? I remember thee's one called Ice cave or something like thay and A christmas one, I only saw the Christmas one. The ep were Ash catches the Tauros was never played here too.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:02 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

The censured one...I think it was the christmas episode...

Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

The ep were Ash catches the Tauros was never played here too.

Censored because the Safari Zone warden used a gun. But, I mean, kids aren't going to use a gun just because they saw one in this episode! It's just pointlessly censored.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:51 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I would have liked to have seen that episode... The warden never really shot anyone with the gun though, and besides, team rocket uses bazookas and stuff... That's much worse than a gun. XD But I guess they just didn't want little kids to see it because they didn't want them to think... "Look at me! I'm the Safari warden!" and be holding a gun and accidently shoot someone...

I have seen the Christmas one with the jynx too. I never saw it again.... I wondered why I never saw it again, until just now... Thanks Frost! I always knew about the porygon one being banned... but there was another episode that was aired (in America) but it was cut, by a lot... and never shown again because it was far too short and didn't make any sense. I don't remember much of it... (not like there was much to remember anyway XD) but I think it took place at a beach where Jesse, James and Meowth worked at a restaurant by there... everything after that is a blurr to me... if it comes to me, I'll post it. Anyway, there were also many other episodes that were never aired (in America) to my knowledge. All of those were never shown because they didn't focus on Ash and co., which I find pretty dumb. I would've actually like to have seen an episode that doesn't focus on Ash and co. for once... -_-; It would've made things more interesting.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:03 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

but there was another episode that was aired (in America) but it was cut, by a lot... and never shown again because it was far too short and didn't make any sense. I don't remember much of it... (not like there was much to remember anyway XD) but I think it took place at a beach where Jesse, James and Meowth worked at a restaurant by there... everything after that is a blurr to me... if it comes to me, I'll post it.

It's Vacations in Acapulco (or something like that), and they cut the scenes because James... err... entered a Beauty contest, and... err... dressed as a girl, and made himself look like a girl. I hope you know what I mean...

Star wrote:
Anyway, there were also many other episodes that were never aired (in America) to my knowledge. All of those were never shown because they didn't focus on Ash and co., which I find pretty dumb. I would've actually like to have seen an episode that doesn't focus on Ash and co. for once... -_-; It would've made things more interesting.

There's going to be a new "mini-series" (called Pokemon Chronicles; about 22 episodes long) that doesn't focus on Ash and co.

EDIT: Here's a link to a page that explains the banned episodes:
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~psypoke/anime/censor.php

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:04 am
THE POWER IS ON!

I would have liked to have seen that episode... The warden never really shot anyone with the gun though, and besides, team rocket uses bazookas and stuff... That's much worse than a gun. XD But I guess they just didn't want little kids to see it because they didn't want them to think... "Look at me! I'm the Safari warden!" and be holding a gun and accidently shoot someone...

Well, you also need to consider the difference between a hand gun and a bazooka... a child is much more likely to get access and use a hand gun than a bazooka. And the Warden actually SHOT at Team Rocket multiple times and aimed his gun at Ash's head. It might have been too much for American audiences, or at least their censorship-crazy parents.

Star wrote:
But there was another episode that was aired (in America) but it was cut, by a lot... and never shown again because it was far too short and didn't make any sense.

Not really... as I remember, only two scenes were actually cut out, and both involved James' body suit. The first scene wasn't that long and the second scene was only about five seconds... as I read, the total amount of footage cut from that episode for the dub was only about 30 seconds. It's just kind of weird that they went through the trouble of dubbing and editing it and never played it again...

Apparently 4Kids has dubbed Legend of Dratini, too, but they never played it. I doubt they will now, it being such an old episode... and the I don't think they're EVER going to play the Porygon episode again. Apparently the original is being locked up by the Japanese government now.

Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:48 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

well why d the woman do tat i mean whats wrong and anyway its a tv kids show most adult cant even understnd it so anyway i got both porygon 1/2

Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:34 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Locking this topic because of age but there is a more recent "Banned Episodes" discussion here: http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~psypoke/fo ... 1&start=15

Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:30 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]