It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

Forum rules

It's not called THE BIG THREAD THAT ANSWERS ALL YOUR QUESTIONS for nothing. Use it!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 User Nicknames of the Chats 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Hi guys,

I'm new to the concept of using Java chats, and I can't download IRC. I figured out how to get on the Java versions of the chat, but can someone please explain how to change your nickname and prove your ID. I wanted to go onto the chats as my username, "Crystal", but it said that name was taken and that it needed the password. I don't know how to do coding or use Java, and I looked in the help section.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.

Sat May 10, 2008 12:50 pm
Report this post
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

That means someone else on the server (since we don't have our own server) has already registered 'Crystal'. Just use another nickname on the chats.

To change your nickname, type "/nick" (without the quotes) followed by whatever name you're going to use (no spaces allowed).

Sat May 10, 2008 3:20 pm
Report this post
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks F_W, that helps alot!

However, I thought it was against the rules for someone to use the same nickname as the username of someone else on the chats. Does that mean that the server holds data for more websites? If the answer is a long one, please PM me instead, I dislike making such a fuss in the forums. :oops:

Once again, thanks for the instructions!

If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.

Sun May 11, 2008 6:32 am
Report this post
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Like F_W said, it isn't our server. Other websites use the chats. It's not against the rules for someone to have your username here registered on IRC. Valentine is taken, so I just go by my real name. ;o

Sun May 11, 2008 6:57 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Thanks Kasey for making that clear! When you go on the chats, is it appropriate to say what your username is so people know who you are? I guess I'll be going on the chats with my real name too. 8-)

Also, how to you change it so that when it hovers over your name it has a different message. (Like Krisp has Pikapiiika over hers)

Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 am
Report this post
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

That's the 'real name' part, and you have to have mIRC or be using darkmyst webchat to use that. I'm too lazy to get the urls of either of them, though. ;x

It's absolutely fine to say who you are.

Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

What exactly is IRC. I have heard people talking about it and i know its a chat. is it just a normal chatroom, or ist it like vent?

Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 pm
Report this post
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

mIRC is a program that is used to log on to internet chatroom channels (an IRC stands for Internet Real-time Chatroom or something like that).

It's a real-time chatroom where when someone speaks, everyone sees it, and from there it just asks like a normal chatroom, except that rulebreakers and people making nuisances of themselves get kicked by the ops.

The program itself, mIRC, is downloaded at http://mirc.com

And what is "vent", Typhon?

Sun May 11, 2008 5:03 pm
Report this post
The Geek
The Geek

IRC is Internet Relay Chat, and mIRC is but one of many clients (though arguably the most popular Windows one) you can use to connect to the servers of an IRC network.

You could think of it like AIM chatrooms, only not made of complete and utter FAIL.

latina mortua lingua est // ud mortua ud ea possit
prima meas ancestras necavit // et nunc me necat

Mon May 12, 2008 11:55 am
Report this post
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]