It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Metal! (Heavy, Speed, Thrash, Death, etc) 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I for one am a large metal enthusiast. I used to love Judas Priest, but for some reason I'm kind of getting out of them. I don't know why.

Anyway, for you metal enthusiasts (Whether that be heavy, speed, thrash, death, nu metal and *shudders* core, etc) this thread can be a great way of chatting about different bands and new albums out without having to make new threads all the time.

I know there's lots of metal fans on this forum, which is awesome. I love Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera and basically most of those awesome old school bands. As for the newer stuff, Hatebreed are pretty awesome and so are Cannibal Corpse. DragonForce are just an undeniably great band. I absolutely love In Flames, but only their olldddd stuff. I go their new album A Sense Of Purpose and I listened to it once, but it kinda sounded a bit metalcore-ish (I hate metalcore). I thought the album art was cool, though.

Anyway, I went to Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back In Time concert in Australia about a month ago, IT WAS BRILLIANT.

Anyone been to Gigantour? I went to the 06 one, it was great. Caliban, Arch Enemy, Soulfly and Megadeth. Not really into Caliban, but I love the other bands. Not so much Soulfly, but I love what they played as it was all Sepultura stuff for some reason.

Metallica have a new album coming out which I'm really excited about. Hopefully they'll do a tour after it's release.

Anyway, let's get cracking fellow metalheads!

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:22 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I honestly don't think there are very many metalheads on this forum, as opposed to most other forums I've viewed.

Anyway, I think I'll need others to provoke some sort of discussion before I can really contribute. I'm terrible at beginning almost any sort of discussion, so for now I'll just list some of my favourite albums:

Abigor - "Nachthymnen"
Bathory - "Hammerheart"
Dark Angel - "Darkness Descends"
Dark Moor - "Hall of the Olden Dreams"
Nocturnus - "The Key"
Nokturnal Mortum - "Lunar Poetry"

Anyone else heard of any of the above? If so, what are your opinions of them?

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:36 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Cal wrote:
I honestly don't think there are very many metalheads on this forum, as opposed to most other forums I've viewed.

Anyway, I think I'll need others to provoke some sort of discussion before I can really contribute. I'm terrible at beginning almost any sort of discussion, so for now I'll just list some of my favourite albums:

Abigor - "Nachthymnen"
Bathory - "Hammerheart"
Dark Angel - "Darkness Descends"
Dark Moor - "Hall of the Olden Dreams"
Nocturnus - "The Key"
Nokturnal Mortum - "Lunar Poetry"

Anyone else heard of any of the above? If so, what are your opinions of them?

Wow. That's some really underground stuff there. I did a quick search and Nocturnus seems pretty cool, especially since it says that they are an influence of Children of Bodom's.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:19 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
I'm not really a metal enthusiast. I respect that there's some really great stuff out there, and I do enjoy some of it, but I find a lot of metal to be just too... tuneless and repetitive.

also, the fanbase is enough to make me want to listen to rap music

Quoted from the topic about Slayer.

Yeah, basically sums up my views on metal. Must admit, I have a soft spot for some of the older stuff (Iron Maiden, Motorhead), Viking-esque metal or whatever the hell you're supposed to call (Turisas, Amon Amarth), a bit of nu-metal stuff and other bands that float between genres.

To be honest, I will gladly try recommended metal, but the constant bickering over classification and the elitism makes me wary of associating myself with the community. Honestly, I think some people take it far too seriously; it's just music, for god's sake.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

goldenquagsire wrote:
Yeah, basically sums up my views on metal. Must admit, I have a soft spot for some of the older stuff (Iron Maiden, Motorhead), Viking-esque metal or whatever the hell you're supposed to call (Turisas, Amon Amarth), a bit of nu-metal stuff and other bands that float between genres.

If you're interested in viking metal, I'd recommend listening to Bathory; particularly songs from his "Hammerheart" and/or "Twilight of the Gods" albums. All of the instruments featured in the music were played solely by Bathory himself.

Pirate King wrote:
Wow. That's some really underground stuff there. I did a quick search and Nocturnus seems pretty cool, especially since it says that they are an influence of Children of Bodom's.

Heh, Children of Bodom's first three albums are awesome (personally I think their latest albums, "Are You Dead Yet?" and "Blooddrunk", are pretty bad compared to their earlier works). "Something Wild" still remains as one of the best albums I've ever listened to. I love the classical influences on that album, and overall the music's written really well.

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Pirate King wrote:
I for one am a large metal enthusiast. I used to love Judas Priest, but for some reason I'm kind of getting out of them. I don't know why.

Anyway, for you metal enthusiasts (Whether that be heavy, speed, thrash, death, nu metal and *shudders* core, etc) this thread can be a great way of chatting about different bands and new albums out without having to make new threads all the time.

I know there's lots of metal fans on this forum, which is awesome. I love Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera and basically most of those awesome old school bands. As for the newer stuff, Hatebreed are pretty awesome and so are Cannibal Corpse. DragonForce are just an undeniably great band. I absolutely love In Flames, but only their olldddd stuff. I go their new album A Sense Of Purpose and I listened to it once, but it kinda sounded a bit metalcore-ish (I hate metalcore). I thought the album art was cool, though.

Anyway, I went to Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back In Time concert in Australia about a month ago, IT WAS BRILLIANT.

Anyone been to Gigantour? I went to the 06 one, it was great. Caliban, Arch Enemy, Soulfly and Megadeth. Not really into Caliban, but I love the other bands. Not so much Soulfly, but I love what they played as it was all Sepultura stuff for some reason.

Metallica have a new album coming out which I'm really excited about. Hopefully they'll do a tour after it's release.

Anyway, let's get cracking fellow metalheads!

Oh, boy, I have a lot of crap to say about this.

Judas Priest are undeniably a fantastic classic metal group, especially stuff like Painkiller, British Steel and Sin after Sin. No reason why people can't like them. I can't stand Maiden for some odd reason, it's probably just that they sound too "pop" for me.

Of the other bands you listed, only maybe TWO are worth listening to (Metallica and Megadeth), because Pantera are groove/nu metal (hence they suck) and I have a long list of reasons why I despise Slayer.

DragonForce are one of the WORST metal bands ever - their studio work is bad, but wait until you see them live; they suck HARD, (the guitarists are drunk, the singer can't stay in time and Sweet Lucifer can that drummer not play any worse.

Soulfly - again just nu-metal crap, so I can't listen to it. Sepultura isn't much better - they haven't released anything good since Arise. In Flames are a really bad melodeath band - Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates own their asses.

Metallica haven't released anything good since AJFA, and even that was sub-par compared to Rust in Peace by Megadeth.

In conclusion, a lot of the bands you listed suck.

Wed May 07, 2008 12:25 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Zeptik wrote:
I can't stand Maiden for some odd reason, it's probably just that they sound too "pop" for me.

It's not pop, it's melody.

Zeptik wrote:
Pantera are groove/nu metal (hence they suck)

Have you listened to The Great Southern Trendkill? That's not nu-metal.. KoRn is nu-metal, Limp Bizkit is nu-metal(sometimes, but generally they're crap).

Zeptik wrote:

DragonForce are one of the WORST metal bands ever - their studio work is bad, but wait until you see them live; they suck HARD, (the guitarists are drunk, the singer can't stay in time and Sweet Lucifer can that drummer not play any worse.

Your opinion is that their studio work is bad. I actually think they're a really great band. I've never heard them live, and I don't love them enough to see them live. Also, why would you see Dragonforce live if you very clearly hate them?

Zeptik wrote:

Soulfly - again just nu-metal crap, so I can't listen to it. Sepultura isn't much better - they haven't released anything good since Arise. In Flames are a really bad melodeath band - Dark Tranquillity and At the Gates own their asses.

I don't listen to much Soulfly, but Sepultura is definitely not nu-metal. I haven't listened to much of their new stuff, but their old stuff is definitely not nu-metal.

Admittedly In Flame's new stuff is just s_hit. But The Jester Race, Whoracle, Lunar Strain, etc are brilliant albums. Their earlier stuff is like a death metal Iron Maiden with occasional awesome keyboard work.

Zeptik wrote:

Metallica haven't released anything good since AJFA, and even that was sub-par compared to Rust in Peace by Megadeth.

Absolutely true in every way. That's why I'm excited about their new album. They say it'll be a return to their earlier roots. Rust In Peace is definitely Megadeth's best album, and kinda casts a shadow over their other stuff.

Zeptik wrote:

In conclusion, a lot of the bands you listed suck.

I wonder if all that you said would have been a bit nicer if you weren't posting on the internet.

You should post a list of some of your favorite bands.

Wed May 07, 2008 6:56 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I'm gonna skip all the stuff you said because we both have different opinions, but I'll take a look at this.

Pirate King wrote:

You should post a list of some of your favorite bands.

Oh, this is gonna be fun.

-Death/Control Denied
-Cynic
-Emperor
-Immortal
-Carcass
-Iced Earth
-Helloween
-Burzum
-Mayhem
-Behemoth
-Anaal Nathrakh
-Deicide
-Morbid Angel
-Opeth
-Ulver
-Turisas

Favourite albums:

Spiritual Healing - Death
Symbolic - Death
Filosofem - Burzum
Sons of Northern Darkness - Immortal
Legion - Deicide
In The Nightside Eclipse - Emperor
Focus - Cynic
Domination - Morbid Angel
Symphonies of Sickness - Carcass

So there's a wide range of stuff there, but I can't stand most of the mainstream stuff that people seem to worship.

Thu May 08, 2008 12:25 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
So there's a wide range of stuff there, but I can't stand most of the mainstream stuff that people seem to worship.

OH GOD
MORE THAN FOUR PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF THIS BAND
THEY MUST BE AN AWFUL SIN AGAINST ALL THAT IS HOLY

BAAAAAAAAAW

[another reason why I dislike the metal community D:]

Thu May 08, 2008 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

goldenquagsire wrote:
Quote:

OH GOD
MORE THAN FOUR PEOPLE HAVE HEARD OF THIS BAND
THEY MUST BE AN AWFUL SIN AGAINST ALL THAT IS HOLY

BAAAAAAAAAW

[another reason why I dislike the metal community D:]

That's not the reason whatsoever. The mainstream bands are popular for the wrong reasons. They've targeted their music at the "scene kids" to make them seem so "tough" and "technical" (for example, Meshuggah or Cradle of Filth) when in reality their style is weak and pathetic. I'm not saying that bands that are well known suck (I really like Dimmu Borgir), but most of the great bands (Death, Psycroptic) are not very well known.

Thu May 08, 2008 11:42 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

That is a fair point.

Like Grinspoon. They were this funny grunge band at the start that kept telling their fans to drink and do drugs. Now.. They're just radio-friendly cock-rock.

And Metallica with St. Anger.. Horrible album.

And Korn's See You On The Other Side.. just crap.

It's a shame how bands become radio friendly just to appeal to the masses. The masses are unfortunately tasteless retards.

Oh and Zeptik, your list is pretty cool. I like a lot of those bands(and a lot I've never heard of). Although, I can never seem to get into Helloween.

Fri May 09, 2008 5:48 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Pirate King wrote:
That is a fair point.

Like Grinspoon. They were this funny grunge band at the start that kept telling their fans to drink and do drugs. Now.. They're just radio-friendly ****-rock.

And Metallica with St. Anger.. Horrible album.

And Korn's See You On The Other Side.. just crap.

It's a shame how bands become radio friendly just to appeal to the masses. The masses are unfortunately tasteless retards.

Oh and Zeptik, your list is pretty cool. I like a lot of those bands(and a lot I've never heard of). Although, I can never seem to get into Helloween.

Well I can't say anything about Grinspoon, because I've never heard of them, but Metallica started going mainstream as early as Load or even Black Album era. And Korn, well.... Korn are nu, so they've never been any good.

I think that EVERY metalhead should listen to Death, in a lot of people's opinion THE BEST death metal band bar none - their stuff is just so technical and memorable that it's hard not to like them. You need to work backwards towards in their catalogue, starting with the ultra-clean-sounding The Sound of Perseverance to the progressive work in Human to the raw sound of Leprosy and Scream Bloody Gore. If you need one album to sum them up, look for their third album, Spiritual Healing.

By the way, check your PMs.

Fri May 09, 2008 9:15 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You guys obviously forgot about the best metal song ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TdItwaLrv1U

Fri May 09, 2008 3:53 pm
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Kirke wrote:

Ha, that was brilliant. This song is up there too

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

Fri May 09, 2008 6:48 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Zeptik wrote:

Well I can't say anything about Grinspoon, because I've never heard of them, but Metallica started going mainstream as early as Load or even Black Album era. And Korn, well.... Korn are nu, so they've never been any good.

I think that EVERY metalhead should listen to Death, in a lot of people's opinion THE BEST death metal band bar none - their stuff is just so technical and memorable that it's hard not to like them. You need to work backwards towards in their catalogue, starting with the ultra-clean-sounding The Sound of Perseverance to the progressive work in Human to the raw sound of Leprosy and Scream Bloody Gore. If you need one album to sum them up, look for their third album, Spiritual Healing.
By the way, check your PMs.

Yeah, I never liked Metallica's hard-rock sounding stuff. I only ever bother listening to ..And Justice For All and before.

I'll definitely have to get more into Death then. I'll download Spiritual Healing tonight.

Kirke wrote:

Meh, not really into Lordi. They never 'wowed' me.

Sun May 11, 2008 12:28 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Pirate King wrote:

I'll definitely have to get more into Death then. I'll download Spiritual Healing tonight.

If you have the facilities, the best way to listen to Death is on vinyl. But again, vinyl Death records are hard to get.

btw, send me a message once you sign up on MetalHorde.

Sun May 11, 2008 3:32 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Zeptik wrote:

Why do you think every metalhead should listen to Death? Personally I never took much of a liking to them. I've listened through Scream Bloody Gore and Human, and I honestly can't see why so many people exalt the band. I'll admit that they're far better than most other death metal bands, but I prefer death metal bands who stray away from the regular instrumentalism/lyricism and incorporate their own elements into the music (one of the reasons I love Nocturnus). I guess it'd be unfair to say that Death didn't do so, though, considering they were one of the first death metal bands ever to exist, but I hope you understand what I mean.

Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 am
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Cal wrote:
Zeptik wrote:

Why do you think every metalhead should listen to Death? Personally I never took much of a liking to them. I've listened through Scream Bloody Gore and Human, and I honestly can't see why so many people exalt the band. I'll admit that they're far better than most other death metal bands, but I prefer death metal bands who stray away from the regular instrumentalism/lyricism and incorporate their own elements into the music (one of the reasons I love Nocturnus). I guess it'd be unfair to say that Death didn't do so, though, considering they were one of the first death metal bands ever to exist, but I hope you understand what I mean.

You listened to Scream Bloody Gore and Human? Wrong albums, mate. You want Symbolic and Sound of Perseverance fo' sho'.

Mon May 12, 2008 10:39 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I usually stay on the older side of music. (Metal)

Old Dimmu Borgir (For All Tid - Spiritual Black Dimensions)

Old Immortal (Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism - Damned in Black)

Old Sirenia

Carpathian Forest

Old Satyricon (Dark Medieval Times - Nemesis Devina)

Chthonic

Old Cradle of Filth (A Pungent And Sexual Miasma - Cruelty and the Beast)
Back when this band kicked ass until emo kids ruined the image and sound
Example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ODtvUB_Zhw

Old Mayhem

basicly old everything! The new music genre isnt how it was back in the 80s and 90s

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:24 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Hey, I just saw Iron Maiden's Somewhere Back in Time tour here in Texas!! It was one of the most amazing nights of my life, they are absolutely my favorite band. I can't believe they played Fear of The Dark!!!! And Moonchild!!!!!! I really expected Seventh Son of A Seventh Son and The Evil That Men Do, but it's ok; they played so, so, so, so much amazing stuff!!

Other metal bands I really love are:
Bruce Dickinson
Dio
Metallica (Black Album and earlier only)
Black Sabbath
Nightwish
Edguy
Heavenly

....basically power metal is my favorite genre!

Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:15 pm
Profile YIM
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Oh wow someone else listens to Nightwish, oh how do I detest their music now (CURSE YOU ANETTE!) But Tarja Turunen, the ex-lead singer still makes music that is WAY better than Nightwish's new stuff.

Other than that a listen to Disturbed, Dragonforce (even though some of their stuff sounds similiar) a tiny bit of; Metallica, Dir En Grey, Rhapsody of Fire

one song by Rammstien, one by Lamb Of God

2 songs by Maximum the Hormone (ZETSUBOU BILLY FTW)

KoRn is metal? I guess I'll add them to my list too.

Newest: Kangaskhan

Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 am
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Best metal:

-Metallica
-Disturbed
-Dragonforce
-Powerman 5000 (anyone heard of them?

Least favorite metal groups:

-Slipknot (masked freaks who try to rap every song)
-Megadeth (no other group has been such a ripoff)
-A7X (What a bunch of idiots. And honestly, was there a point to that nude artwork in city of evil?)

Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

absol12247 wrote:
Best metal:

-Metallica
-Disturbed
-Dragonforce
-Powerman 5000 (anyone heard of them?

Least favorite metal groups:

-Slipknot (masked freaks who try to rap every song)
-Megadeth (no other group has been such a ripoff)
-A7X (What a bunch of idiots. And honestly, was there a point to that nude artwork in city of evil?)

And how is megadeth a rip off of metallica? have you ever listen to megadeth? If so was it with an open mind?

Megadeth and metallica have very different sounds and it is perfectly plausible to like both of them at the same time *gasp*
And imo A7X is much better than Dragonforce, with zacky and synester crafting beautiful harmonies as opposed to herman li playing as fast as he possibly can.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:44 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Slayer, Megadeth, and MetalLica are okay, but I find myself more attracted towards this or this and maybe some of this.

I PUSH THE BUTTON AND WATCH THE SKY BRING DEATH.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Thats great if you like that type of music, but its just a tad bit heavy for me. :)

Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next