It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Who's YOUR favourite anime character? 
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Please state the name of the character and the anime series. Only proper anime, though, no Pokemon.

Mine's Himeko Katagiri - Pani Poni Dash! she's just so damn funny, and by far the best designed character. MAAAAHOOOOOO!

Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:58 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:11 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!

That one?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:49 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Light, L and Near from Death Note - imaginative lead characters who definitely kill the boring old long-haired emo archtype. Light's role as both primary antagonist and protagonist is pretty well-done. L and Near are hilarious, awesome and eccentric in equal measures.

Practically everyone from Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is brilliant, but my three favourites would be Nozomu Itoshiki the depressed teacher, Kafuka the eternally cheery girl and Maria who is the most adorable thing from any fictional series in existence.

And finally, an honourable mention to Lelouch Lamperouge, from Code Geass. Though he's fallen for the typical teenage hero archtype, he makes up for it by being British and piloting giant mechs.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I have to say that the drunk teacher from PPD is pretty badass. Has anyone else seen it?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:50 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I'm not telling you! Why do you want to know anyways?...Are you a stalker?!
goldenquagsire wrote:
Light, L and Near from Death Note - imaginative lead characters who definitely kill the boring old long-haired emo archtype. Light's role as both primary antagonist and protagonist is pretty well-done. L and Near are hilarious, awesome and eccentric in equal measures.

I loved Death Note. The intricate dynamics behind the Light/L relationship combined with superior plot made this one of my favorite series. The anime adaptation was well done, in my opinion, and kept to the darker theme of the original manga.
The clash of different ideologies made it enjoyable on a more mature level as we saw the unraveling of human nature and the cost of true power. The slim reality between what is right and how we twist it to our own means was a very good sub-theme.

Once there was a man who ate a poisonous grapefruit and died.The moral of the story:DON'T EAT POISON GRAPEFRUIT!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:53 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

My Favorite would have to be L from Deathnote. We are kind of alike in many ways, which I why he is mine.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Jin from Samurai Champoo

Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Sakura Haruno from Naruto Shippuden Though I'm not near as pretty as her, we're very alike in personality in someways.

A close second is Hikaru Shidou from Magical Knight Rayearth, a little known but pretty good manga series by the legendary CLAMP

If I owe/ said I would donate you psybucks, please PM me ASAP (preferably a link to the page that I "bought" the item) and I will try to round them up as quickly as possible (of course, after the cash mod is fully functional). Thanks.

Wed May 07, 2008 2:28 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Itachi Uchiha from Naruto. He's cool.

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

i haven't watched anime in a long, long time.

but my favorites are:

Osaka - Azumanga Daioh
Mello, Near & Matt - Death Note
Hunny, Kyouya - Ouran
Yoko - Gurren-Lagann
Vash the Stampede - Trigun
Suzaku - Code Gayass Geass (ballin'...etc)

i can't think of any more.

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Most recently I have started to swing more towards being a big fan of LeLouch, from Code Geass... he's just freakin' awesome with his strategies and the hypnotizing powers... (and is also a hottie <3)

Newest: Kangaskhan

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

*poof*

Last edited by Registeel_Rocks on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:30 am
Profile WWW
THE POWER IS ON!

Jessie from Team Rocket.

Because Pokemon is an anime. Whether it's intended for children, or whatever arbitrary reason has been determined in this thread to claim that Pokemon is somehow not a "proper" anime, is irrelevant; it's a cartoon show that originates from Japan. Therefore, it is an anime. Simple as that.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
Because Pokemon is an anime. Whether it's intended for children, or whatever arbitrary reason has been determined in this thread to claim that Pokemon is somehow not a "proper" anime, is irrelevant; it's a cartoon show that originates from Japan. Therefore, it is an anime. Simple as that.

This.

The quality (or lack of it) does not determine what genre something is. No-one would argue that FFVIII is not an RPG, irrespective of its utter banality.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like Usopp from One Piece because he has that huge nose.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:49 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

shadowman777 wrote:

Personally, I like the entire Straw Hat Pirate crew from One Piece, because they're such BAMFs (only in the Japanese anime, not the 4Kids version). Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky, and Usopp. Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy probably a little bit more than the others.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

JsXtm wrote:
shadowman777 wrote:

Personally, I like the entire Straw Hat Pirate crew from One Piece, because they're such BAMFs (only in the Japanese anime, not the 4Kids version). Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky, and Usopp. Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy probably a little bit more than the others.

Yea I watch the Japanese version too I like the whole crew but Usopp is my favorite.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:31 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I'm torn. Kenpachi Zaraki from Bleach, or Heero Yui, from good ol' Gundam Wing

Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On a little blue marble called Earth rolling through the playground known as the Solar System.
I'd have to say Mizore Shirayuki from Rosario + Vampire. She just appears out of no where creating very funny situations.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:31 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop

His bushy hair matched with his long legs and a casual suit make him a cooler bounty hunter than Boba Fett (I KNOW, HARSH WORDS!). His hands are often in his pockets, a cigarette in his mouth and his expression placid in a very apathetic way. He takes risks that usually turn out for the better, and his fighting style heavily revolves around the use of his long, slender legs. He is also very good with a handgun. As the show delves more and more into his history, you really get to understand the true meaning of 'awesome'.

Pictures:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8328 ... gelre1.jpg
http://images.evalu8.org/images/cowboy-spike1.jpg

Atomsk (pronounsed Atom-isk), also known as the Pirate King from FLCL

While his presence in the show is only through others, Naota is absolutely awesome when he has the powers of the Pirate King. Wielding two guitars, flying through the sky as a red silhouette and beating the crap out of everyone, he is as cool as cool can get.

Pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v341/ ... Atomsk.jpg
http://www.ultimateflcl.com/characters/ ... atomsk.jpg

Ban Mido from GetBackers

When he's not arguing with Gingi, he plays the role of the quiet, modest superhero. His glasses match his wild hair perfectly, particularly when he's got a cigarette between his mouth. He can make people hallucinate, and his fingers can crush objects with the power of 200kg.

Pictures:

http://www.cybernetresources.com/conten ... s/mido.jpg

Mugen from Samurai Champloo

He is rude and unfriendly, with mean looks to accompany. His hair is untamed and his face slightly unshaven. However, his sword skills are far superior to any man other than Jin, and the fact that he accompanies Fuu and Jin shows that he is, inside, a nice person.

Pictures:

http://dragonrain.com/graphics/wallpape ... mploo1.jpg
http://www.samurai-champloo.com/images/ ... mage-2.gif

Alucard from Hellsing

He is the superior vampire. He is suave, his voice deep and overpowering, and his powers immense. He is a huge man, with equally huge weapons. He sneers at half-rate vampires who kill for no reason under the orders of Seras Victoria. While he does use weapons, his vampire powers are far more powerful and he can destroy even the strongest vampires. With his and glasses on, he is sophisticated and graceful. Yet with them off, he is vicious and mean.

Pictures:

http://shs.starkville.k12.ms.us/~ac1/IM ... UCARD2.JPG
http://membres.lycos.fr/unrealfada/hh/alucard01.JPG

Other mentionable anime characters:

Saber from Fate/Stay Night
Revy from Black Lagoon
Akira Shirase from Battle Programmer Shirase
Shotaro Kaneda from Akira
Sagara Sousuke from Full Metal Panic
Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop (well she's just hot..)
Haruko Haruhara from FLCL

Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:19 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Roger Smith from Big O... uh...

Goku from DBZ...

I'm not a big anime connoisseur. Well I am, but I like very few anime. Things like Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and Evangelion turn me off because of the crappy protagaonists. "I waana be a niNjaz" ""Authority sucks so I'll make expermentz and maime mah bodyz" "life sucks my dad no love meez i won't save ur life cuz of ddat"

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Cobalt wrote:

Goku from DBZ...

I'm not a big anime connoisseur. Well I am, but I like very few anime. Things like Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and Evangelion turn me off because of the crappy protagaonists. "I waana be a niNjaz" ""Authority sucks so I'll make expermentz and maime mah bodyz" "life sucks my dad no love meez i won't save ur life cuz of ddat"

I've never seen Naruto and I'm not a very big shonen fan so I can't speak for that. However, both Full Metal Alchemist are extremely gripping anime shows. Have you watched enough episodes to actually develop a relationship with the characters?

I haven't seen FMA For a few years, so I might be a little rusty with the storyline. Firstly, characters in FMA aren't ninjas, they're alchemists. The main characters attempted to experiment with alchemy, but only to bring their deceased mother back. In the process, Alphonse loses his body and Edward loses an arm and a leg. While the side-effects are a burden, they do not stop the boys partaking in adventures to defeat the humonculi, help people and also for Edward to become a state alchemist. While they do show resentment for their father, that is only because he left them at such a young age for reasons not explained to them. This never compromises their adventures and good deeds, and is never delved into all that much.

As for Evangelion, the show might not be for you. It delves into the thoughts and doings of each character, with meccha battles a common exhibition. Shinji Ikari, the main character, is suddenly given the responsibility of defending the world by his uncaring father. He struggles with the responsibility and shows strong disdain for his father. While he does run away on numerous occasions, he always, in the end, done what's right to help people, even if it's under the orders of his father. He shows no rebellion towards authority at any point, other than running away. In fact, he is often submissive to those around him. The last two episodes of Evangelion however, are crap, which is why they made an alternate ending to make up for their mistake.

DBZ on the other hand, is quite a poor show. I used to watch it as a kid. It drags on far too many episodes, which is mainly due to the fact that the manga was being released at a slower rate than the anime, and the anime was directly based on the manga. Aside from their changing ages, there is little character development and it rarely delves into their actual inner struggles, instead focusing on their physical fights with enemies. It can be quite repetitive at times, with new ideas seemingly lacking.

To keep up with the topic, my favorite character from FMA is Scar.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:57 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Pirate King wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Goku from DBZ...

lol, yes, I've watched most of Naruto and all of FMA and Eva. I know FMA aren't ninjas, but the Naruto characters are. I still don't like them, though. They're all bad to me because of the protagonists.

From least annoying to most, it'd be Naruto, FMA, Eva. Shinji is the worst protagonist ever, ever. He literally allows everyone in the anime to die; he was an animated Neville Chamberlain. I'm talking about the movie of course with regards to everyone dying. I actually liked the beginning of the show before it went mindf--k. I thought I was getting a good show with robots from Adult Swim but ended up get a half-assed story with a fake ending because the writer was too lazy to meet his deadlines and decided to throw that crappy ending together. I'm pretty sure that's why the movies were made in the first place. Truth be told it could have been good if Shinji wasn't such a coward, they focused on battles, and it had a decent ending.

FMA was boring to me because the mindset of Ed. He reminds me of all the snooty, know it all punks I've known in New Jersey. Kids with angst annoy the hell out of me. I don't dig the story either. They go against the law and wind up broken because they ignored conventional wisdom. I'm not one to rely heavily on what the majority always think, but wow, those kids were stupid. And the parts of the story revolving around corrupt figures behind the government there starting unjust wars and the plight of a bunch of dark-skinned foreigners who are abused by what appears to be colonial wars and genocide or "Custer's Last Stand" type attacks... it rubs me the wrong way. I don't know if it's because I'm a paranoid SOB and get it in my head that the makers of this stuff went out of there way to make the viewer draw parallels to real life events. I don't like that kind of propaganda in my cartoons; it's why I stopped watching Justice League Unlimited after the episode "Patriot Act." I mean really, knock that off. But I could be overreacting; it's just that with the topic at hand and the timing (2005-ish, I think), I couldn't help but get bored with it quickly.

Naruto is the least annoying because I like shows with action that get to the point and don't have mindf--ck nonsense or subtle propaganda in it. I still don't like it in general, though. I can blame it for what you blame DBZ for- the fights take forever to get started and to finish or they end too quick. Oh wait, I guess I proved myself wrong there; it's action that doesn't get to the point. I also just don't like ninjas that much. Ninjas being portrayed as these noble magicians trying to change the world.... ugh. At least One Peice makes killers into heroes with entertainment value. That show is actually fun to watch. And Naruto is just an annoying character. Yeah, he's got a sad background, but that shouldn't be a flashback every episode. If they spent the time it took to talk about feelings, show flashbacks, and have unfunny outbursts from Naruto then they might progress the story a little. In my eyes, DBZ's fillers were also entertaining and progressed the story. Naruto's are just fillers and only fillers. Racing ninja and beetles that track someone by smelling farts? Good time spent there! I'll take a filler arc about Garlic Junior escaping the Dead Zone or Frieza coming back as a cyborg.

Eh, I like DBZ. Goku fighting a new scourge of the galaxy over and over got old for me after Cell was replaced by Buu... ugh. But Goku fighting Frieza was "epic win" if I do say so myself. As was Goku's first fight with Vegeta. I'll always have the nostalgia I have for it that I have for things like Transformers and GI Joe.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:28 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

At risk of sounding terribly cliché, Haruhi from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is my new favourite character.

Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next