It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Boycott the Olympics!?! Yes or No? 

Would you boycott the 2008 Olympics in China?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
I don't care, I'll just play pokemon 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 26

Boycott the Olympics!?! Yes or No? 
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

This is an intricate situation.

The Chinese are known abusers of Human Rights. For God's sake, they modify their Internet servers so no one may write a single line without being monitored - and thousands of people are now rotting in jail because they don't agree with the official Communist Policy. If they type " freedom of expression" in Google, they'll get zero results. No Freedom of Expression.

And let's not talk about Tibet.

They slaughter pacific monks just because they think they are entitled to their own nation - and those assassins steal their land, and imprison them.

There is no pluralism, only the Communist Party.

I shall boycott the Olympics. Those evil Chinese must learn that they must respect international laws.

(end ramble/)

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:09 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Nah.. Why make the players suffer by losing their chance to participate in the olympics?

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:50 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Boycotting the Olympics - by that I mean the athletes of a particular nation boycotting, not just the citizens - is a time-honored tradition. After all, the boycotts in the '80s are what ended the Cold War. (I think the Care Bears may have helped.) Somehow, the threat of keeping whoever passes for Tara Lipinski these days out of the games just whips those rogue nations into shape.

By extension, the average joes of the western world deciding to stay home and watch it on NBC (or whichever network has the unfortunate responsibility to bump their well-crafted and cutting-edge sitcoms and dramas :?: for a bunch of generally unattractive people in spandex) is surely such a dire threat to the oppressors that they'll quail in the face of our firm, couch-planted buttocks, or at least will rethink their policy of blowing up monks whose entire lives are focused on their own deaths anyway.

[/snot]

In all honesty: If I'd bought tickets, I would have shredded them the instant the protests turned bloody. I thoroughly encourage everyone in the galaxy to boycott the games this year. I just don't necessarily think it will have any actual effect, no matter the economic consequences.

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:56 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

... Boycott the Olympics because of China's human rights record? No. The Olympic Games have nothing to do with China's political standing. They're being held in Beijing, so what? Why get in a big uproar about Tibet and human rights this second? The Chinese government haven't listened in the past so what makes you so damn sure they'll listen now? At this point, criticising China for it's human rights record is like criticising a midget for being short :/

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:05 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

I don't really have much of a moral stance on this issue, but I will just say that I lol'd hard at the protests in London, Paris and San Fransisco, and fully support any non-violent action that disrupts the Olympic Torch Relay. Mainly just because I think the whole thing's a joke, and also because the news needs more funnies these days.

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It would do no good to boycott the olympics - cut off thy nose to spite thine face? lol, no.

The US and her allies of democracy should decimate the country, liberate the Tibetans and Taiwanese, and then have the olympics there.

That way, China would no longer be denying the Tibetans their rights

The other Olympics Topic wrote:
How about we broaden it to the real question - should the United States invade China to liberate the peaceful Tibetans from the tyrannical Chinese government's destructive clutches?

I completely support that. And, should the Chinese not free the Tibetans, the US and her allies shall anihilate the Chinese, and the ownership of national superpower shall clearly be the United States.

^^Also posted by me^^

Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The US and her allies of Democracy should destroy one tenth of China? I don't see how that would help. Plus the fact that China has the largest military in the world, with about 7 million troops in total compared to America's 2 million. I don't really see it working very well, and the last thing the world needs is another pointless military operation. It wouldn't make a difference... Why make a massive fuss about it now? What's next? Boycott the 2012 London Olympics for an issue that has nothing to do with the Olympic Games?

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:09 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Also, when did you guys get elected as the World Police Force, exactly?

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

What are you talking about GQ? Have you not seen Team America World Police? They've been World Police for about five years now... And screwed it up every step of the way :P

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:12 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

That film = win.

Also, more like fifty years. But, that's irrelevant, and I don't want to start a P-L style page long conspiracy rant.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

I don't think there should be an open military conflict with China. But US and all Occidental countries MUST pressure China to accept AND enforce the Human Rights.

If they don't want to, they shall learn - through diplomacy and embargo if necessary - that no one may be persecuted for their beliefs. Period.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

2x4b wrote:
The US and her allies of Democracy should destroy one tenth of China? I don't see how that would help. Plus the fact that China has the largest military in the world, with about 7 million troops in total compared to America's 2 million. I don't really see it working very well, and the last thing the world needs is another pointless military operation. It wouldn't make a difference... Why make a massive fuss about it now? What's next? Boycott the 2012 London Olympics for an issue that has nothing to do with the Olympic Games?

Here's my plan...
1.) Invade through nepal
2.) Create a human wall pretty much around the terrirtory of tibet. Warn the Chinese that whosoever should choose to pass that is part of the Chinese military (or is hostile) shall be killed on the spot.
3.) Secure the independance, making sure the government in tibet is in order.

Should the Chinese attempt to cross the border (hostile), the following shall occur:

4.) Beef up the defense against China (a real wall if necessary).
5.) Bomb the chinese cities and decimate the factories (that would bring jobs back to America as well :D)
6.) Ships carrying Chinese goods would be bombed while at sea, forcing a slowdown of foreign goods to American soil.

The following countries would be immune to our Actions - South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan.
Btw, while we're at it, we'd free Taiwan and interfere in Africa. WWIII, ftw!

The following countries would be (re)invaded - China, North Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Sudan.

GQ - we were appointed Guardians of freedom at the end of World War II, after we saved Britain and france a second time, to take on the Soviet and her allies of China, Cuba, etc.

The United states can easily get 10 million men and women for the military invasion. And, it would do it so quickly, the Chinese wouldn't know what hit them.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Peanut-Lover wrote:
2x4b wrote:

Here's my plan...
1.) Invade through nepal
2.) Create a human wall pretty much around the terrirtory of tibet. Warn the Chinese that whosoever should choose to pass that is part of the Chinese military (or is hostile) shall be killed on the spot.
3.) Secure the independance, making sure the government in tibet is in order.

Should the Chinese attempt to cross the border (hostile), the following shall occur:

4.) Beef up the defense against China (a real wall if necessary).
5.) Bomb the chinese cities and decimate the factories (that would bring jobs back to America as well :D)
6.) Ships carrying Chinese goods would be bombed while at sea, forcing a slowdown of foreign goods to American soil.

The following countries would be immune to our Actions - South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan.
Btw, while we're at it, we'd free Taiwan and interfere in Africa. WWIII, ftw!

The following countries would be (re)invaded - China, North Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Sudan.

GQ - we were appointed Guardians of freedom at the end of World War II, after we saved Britain and france a second time, to take on the Soviet and her allies of China, Cuba, etc.

The United states can easily get 10 million men and women for the military invasion. And, it would do it so quickly, the Chinese wouldn't know what hit them.

lol

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Peanut-Lover wrote:
words words words

:lol:

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:38 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Yeah let's just go kill a million people P-L.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:43 am
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Because ten million Americans will happily sign up to attack a much stronger and better-disciplined army for no reason other than because the Pokemon-obsessed lovechild of David Icke and Michael Moore has declared them to be evil.

P-L for President! :DDDDD

Quote:

see this is why no-one likes you guys. and also why code geass is the bestest anime ever.

Edit: tennis8668, can I marry you? That is the official best reply in the whole damn topic.

Last edited by goldenquagsire on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This is pretty much off-topic but Whale meat is the most economically friendly.

Japan is famous for Whale killerinz & they're pretty close.

Btw, your War plan will cause the death of the Earth.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

The olympics are really to promote international unity, not disagreement. It is true that many of China's policies are questionable, but the Olympics is really supposed to be more of an international event. To punish China, it would be better for countries to use economic sanctions/trade restrictions to hurt China.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:16 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

goldenquagsire wrote:
Quote:

see this is why no-one likes you guys. and also why code geass is the bestest anime ever.

Hey, don't lump all of us in together. :P

(S)ome dumb kids looked at Mewtwo and thought "Hey he can clone things and move objects with his mind and be weak to Ghost attacks, why can't I?" Because it is a freaking game!!! Not something you should actaully practice in real life!!!

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

there's a secret you should know.

when we're having our European Union meetings, we all laugh at you behind your back while we're drinking tea and listening to crappy pop music.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The reason why I proposed this is because the United States is indeed the best country in the world.

Btw, while we're in school, we laugh at all Western Europeans - its a crime in our city to walk around with the chest being bare. In Europe (especially Britain), you get a hefty fine for having it covered. We the United States lol at you guys when you say "we'll be fine w/o you", and then you get yourselves blown up. Whenever a world calamity occurs (ie, tsunami, flood, fire, someone frts crooked), we send money to prevent you guys from killing each other.

You know, if we didn't feel sorry for everyone, our markets would be closed to all non-americans (even you Brits), and you all would be screwed without your grain.

tennis8668 wrote:
Yeah let's just go kill a million people P-L.

Silly girl is very silly - I was thinking at least 10 million.

I personally hope the war happens before November - that will make for a sweet presidential race here.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 pm
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

Quote:
The reason why I proposed this is because the United States is indeed the best country in the world.

rofl

Quote:
We the United States lol at you guys when you say "we'll be fine w/o you", and then you get yourselves blown up.

'scuse me, but we normally get blown up BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS.

Personally, I think that you're either trolling (and I admit, you're certainly a funny troll), or you're one of the most arrogant, moronic retards I've ever met.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:51 pm
Profile WWW
Lite Four
Lite Four

It's the latter.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:27 am
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I heard that a terrorist group with plans to kidnap the Olympians was taken into custody in some part of China. It was on the news in Australia. Must be a pretty crappy group if they were caught before even making an attempt.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:38 am
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain

Peanut-Lover wrote:
more words

Miss Vera has one thing to say to you:

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next