It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Movie Review: Resident Evil 3 - Extinction 
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Today I went to see Resident Evil 3 at a local cinema. Honestly, I was a little afraid of seeing this movie because I enjoy the first and second films a lot, (so much that they’re my favourite films). So, I had quite high expectations of how good the third film would have to be, and low expectations of what it would actually be like.

However, I found that this Resident Evil is, in my opinion, just as good as the first two. The intention is to, and succeeds at, capturing the audience’s attention straight away with an opening that may confuse fans of the films, (if they remember the beginning of the first movie), though after five minutes the confusion should disappear as things become clearer.
I wouldn’t advise seeing this if you haven’t seen the first two as 1), you wouldn’t be as attached to the main character/s, (and therefore it probably wouldn’t be as nerve – wracking as intended), and 2), you may get quite confused; though it isn’t hard to follow if you do know what’s been happening.
Quoting what my friend whispered during the movie, it’s "more scary than the first films" because, although I don’t actually find the movies scary, there are more moments to make the audience 'jump' from shock, (or fear if you’re one to get scared), and I think that if you presume this movie wraps up Resident Evil, (as myself and my friend did), then it makes you more 'scared' because you have no idea how it’s 'going to end'.
The thing that did freak me out in this film was what had happened since the second film. Now, I won’t say what it was because fans of the films might want to find out for themselves if they haven’t seen the third one yet, but it made me imagine what it would be like in ‘real life’ and how terrifying it would really be.
(I’m pretty sure I’d be a goner if events like this happened in real life – I mean, I might survive the first and second in the outside world by luck/chance but I seriously doubt I’d be alive after what happened between the second and third).
As usual for these films, there were lots of kick – ass stunts and actual kicking ass of the evil creatures, so there’s definitely no doubt for me that this didn’t lack what would be expected by fans stunt – wise and fighting – wise. There are also some surprises in store about what the main character, (Alice), can now do. And they rock.
The acting, (by everyone), was particularly great. The movies would be really, really different if they had chosen different actresses and actors for the main characters, and I probably wouldn’t enjoy it half as much if Milla Jovovich didn’t play Alice. She’s just amazing at portraying Alice’s emotions, (especially when fighting :D), and she's a wonderful actress.
One of the most important features that make a movie good, or awesome, for me is the music in different scenes – how well it goes with a particular scene and the mood at the time. I also praise the directors/producers of Resident Evil 3 for this: I feel they most successfully chose perfect music for different scenes – the type of music that sends chills-to-scare through you at moments in the film when the audience are on the edge of their seats, (and this film certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat at points); yet in other scenes when there is some serious ass – kicking about to be done, I think that the music sends chills-to-thrill through the audience and this, combined with the great action and slow-motion to 'normal motion', and so on, in these kind of scenes made me, for one, want to be in the middle of the action; fighting along side Alice.
The problem with there being so many people in this film, (you’ll see why if you watch it), is that it can p**s you off when someone you like dies. (Though the amount of people is also good because then there are more people to fight!) But, I feel that this is what a great movie is meant to do – make you feel a lot of strong emotions in the space of an hour or two.
The movie was a perfect length – I don’t think I could ever get bored of Resident Evil, but what I mean by this is that there were no scenes that dragged on, yet they managed to pack lots of surprises and a hec of a lot of action into the film.
The only thing that bothered me slightly was the fact that two important characters from the second film were not in this movie and there was no explanation for this – so I just presume them to be dead.
The shots in the film were all brilliant – I only noticed one random shot in which the camera focused on Alice’s legs, but I suppose it wasn’t actually random as this was where she was keeping her weapons at the time and she was walking in a 'cool way', lol. Plus, I’m sure a lot of fans of how the main actress looks would appreciate those sorts of shots.
Now, the film is Certificate 15 for a reason – there was quite a lot of…'blood and gore', but not an overly-excessive amount. In my opinion, it's just the right amount for this sort of film – I’d just advise people with weak stomachs not to watch this or the others, lol.
The ending of the film was great, though it did frustrate me a lot, but only because it made me and my friend long to see what happens next…

The Resident Evil films are most definitely my favourite zombie films to date – the actors and plot/s take it to a new level and, to me, are more unique than any other horror movie that has zombies or zombie-like creatures in.
I've seen a lot of different horror movies and I don't think I'm scared of imagining many of the creatures/killers/monsters from them coming to life - if they actually could - but these three films have actually made me terrified of the idea of zombies. A lot of people I've spoken to think if it ever happened, the human race would be able to contain it - kill all the zombies and survive. I used to think this too, but these films have made me seriously re-consider.
I never give anything 10/10, so I’ll just say that, in my opinion, Resident Evil 3: Extinction receives 9.5/10. It kicks ass more than Alice ;) and I suggest people watch the first two movies if they’ve never seen them, then go to see this third one, or go and see it if they are fans of the first two.
It should leave you wanting more.

Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:48 pm
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Oh my God. The Resident Evil films are very terrible. None of those movies have any relation to the amazing video games. They have no right being called "Resident Evil". Honestly I find it appalling that you say the Resident Evil movies are the best zombie movies. Please watch the original Dawn of The Dead and Day of The Dead before you make that claim.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:42 am
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lol, I have watched and I own the original 'Dawn of the Dead', (so perhaps you shouldn't say such things unless you actually know I haven't first), and I stand by thinking the 'Resident Evil' movies are the bets zombie movies made. We aren't talking about the games, a lot of films and games are different; the films would be weird if they were the same as the games.
I think the original 'Dawn of the Dead' is great and really funny but the special effects are nothing compared to other films because it was made years ago. Because of this, it isn't at all scary and makes me laugh rather than gives me thrills. Have you not watched closely? They use the same people over and over and I know that films do do that but in this film, it's unbelievably obvious. A classic, but not the best. (Of its day maybe :|.)

Whatever though, that's your opinion.

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:31 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

You know that they are going to HAVE to make a 4th movie. The ending was WAY too open. If they don't make a 4th, then they are retarded!!

-Ryan

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Lol, yep, if they didn't then it wouldn't have a conclusion and everyone would be like "...so what happened in the end? Who won?!"
I can't wait until the next but the way things look it will be the last. Still, amazing.

Last edited by CharmedJoey on Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:10 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I hated the 3rd movie...
The first one was good(Had nothing to do with the Video-Game Story,but was good anyway...)
The second was ok ...(Alice with superpowers...urgh...Nemesis was just like the game...cool...)
The third movie was disgusting... :mad: maybe because i was expecting to much...
(The only good thing on that movie was my girlfriend... :mrgreen: )
I hated those Super Powers,Clones and Smart Zombies...

Rating: 2/10

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushin22
Watch,Comment,Rate and Enjoy! ^_^x

*Currently BUSY with real life,so i might take a while to respond messages or RMTs... Sorry,I might be back someday...*

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:26 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I saw part 2 before part one and i really liked it. so i decided to go and buy part one. i was a little disappointed in part one, it just wasn't really a good movie for me. but i still own it because i love resident evil. part 3 was simply amazing! me and my friends skipped school to go see it and we loved it. (my scared friend jump the entire movie, haha) but yeah totally love 3. 2 was good but some stuff didn't make sense to me. like after Dr. Isac died why did he become a zombie? there were some other things but i cant remember them at the moment.. part 1 didnt like but still own it. might watch it from time to time.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Post Re:
ZGW wrote:
Oh my God. The Resident Evil films are very terrible. None of those movies have any relation to the amazing video games. They have no right being called "Resident Evil". Honestly I find it appalling that you say the Resident Evil movies are the best zombie movies. Please watch the original Dawn of The Dead and Day of The Dead before you make that claim.

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%! The movies were horrid, half-baked attempts at the games. The games were SO much better, people who play the games with me are like "Hey, where's Alice?" And I'm like "SHE NEVER EXISTED!".

I saw the third one, EXTREMELY disappointing. I did like the preview of the next Resident Evil Movie (In which is 3D and made by Capcom.) Hopefully Paul Andersen decides after the third that he WILL NOT tarnish the name of Resident Evil again. :frustrated:

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:49 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]