It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Pokemon of the Week Discussion 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If only it had a better way to restore HP. and a way to boost the defenses. Still...Tentacruel is tentacool

Barrier + Mirror coat is good. Barrier up, they bring in a special sweeper, and then they get coated.
About time it got rapid spin. and poison spikes.

also, is it just me, or do the poison tentacles look like those things from the candy/toy cranes?

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:49 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Similar to Donphan indeed. Somehow I feel Hippowdon might actually work better if it had a second type to go with it. The Physical Sweeping/Sponge moveset would be my choice; there are many better tanks out there imo.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i reckon that torterra a new pokemon from sinnoh is better than exploud because it's grass and ground and i like it's first form turtwig as well but hey thats my opioun.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:02 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is it really that fast? I thought it was slow, but not even needing 252 EVs or a +Speed nature to outspeed the fastest of 386...wow.

Edit:
POTW Sinnoh wrote:
Although the above movesets don't reflect it, max DVs, a neutral Speed nature and 152 EVs will enable it to outspeed base 130's (Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Crobat). This is good seeing as Aerodactyl can use an Earthquake on Electivire's lowest stats of HP and Defense, and Jolteon can be easily countered (unless there's a sub in play). Its high offensive base stats are also worth mentioning as well as its great movepool.

Okay, unless I'm misunderstanding, impossible. You mean after the speed boost, right?

Quick question - could it run meditate on a Lefties set? Just out of curiosity.

Probably go with a a mixed sweeper myself, though

Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:34 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yes, that is after a speed boost. The sentence before it was supposed to imply that idea.

With Meditate, I personally don't view it as a worthwhile move in general, but it can be useful for Electivire. The major downside to it is that it is only one stage at a time, and you can be hurt if you hope to power up too much. At best, if you can manage to switch into something like a Choice-itemed Electric move, that guarentees one Meditate to fit in before you might need to change your setup plan. That one stage may make a good difference, especially when you compare it to a Choice Band and the free moving between attacks. However, it becomes difficult to make use of outside of Motor Drive's boost. It does make you forfeit a slot in your moveset for offensive coverage though, which could also discourage use of it.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:58 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Smeargle is cool and strong conceptually, but irl it's just too much of a pain to get it to learn all the moves you want, plus it is semi-crippled by its poor stats. I don't know about others, but I don't use it =/

Awesome bump, by the way :wink:

Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:25 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Yeah. I like Smeargle outside of battle, just its background and design. Indeed it is a pain to make it learn all the moves you want; I'd go for the OHKO-er set. I would want to have a Smeargle just for the sake of unlimited paint and cuteness. x(

Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:24 pm
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

While in-game, Sceptile is a special sweeper, it is outclassed by alakazam (equal speed). And pretty much all grasses, like eggy and friends.

But it is good thanks to McSlaw/McGraw. McSceptile came aroud with the advent of FrLg tutors. Substitute was alrady known from kecleon/azumarill/sub-piggy in pure RuSa200. Back then, it was just for sub-punching (azumarill), and to prevent toxic affecting them (sub-piggy vs. Regice). Once substitute caught on, sub-seed showed its success. Substitute, Seed them, avoid status, force the switch. If a grass came in, use hp ice (as all grasses are immune to leech seed). It worked great when it was introduced, and is still good these days.

When DP Came in, sceptile took a hit - signature move is now on others (leafeon), and oit is now physical. Half its usable special pool went physical. Crunch is physical, Dragon Claw, T-punch. Now, it is just a bad exeggcutor/jumpluff.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:53 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Do not worry, my peanut-lover friend, as my second-favourite Pokemon (Sceptre Reptile) has got THIS:

ENERGY BALL
EARTHQUAKE (i really think it should be special, as carvhana doesn't hurt)
HP ELECTRIC (it might take a long time to find one)
AERIAL ACE (it worked in other versions, didn't it? DIDN'T IT?)

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:46 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Hmmm Steelix does withstand Physical attacks pretty well, but it seems that it's able to handle Special Attacks decently as well though, or at least it isn't as susceptible to OHKOs by super effective move. I still remember that I had a little trouble delaign with Jasmine's Steelix back in GSC.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

When I first seen Yanmega i didn't know for sure if I really liked it or not. Five months later I think differently.

Yanmega is a great pokemon, the speed boost ability is a plus.

The different look from Yanama to Yanmega is also pretty neat, going from red to a dark green color in evolution.

7/10

This pokemon gets a passing grade for me.

P.s I also like the move set given for Yanmega. I wouldn't change it a bit.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Lite Four
Lite Four

Speed Boost is neat. Yanma was rather underused before, so it's good that Nintendo gave it an evolution which makes the family better :P

It also looks pretty decent. Kinda reminds me of the mental picture I painted when I read this novel called Dragonfry ;o

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:14 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I think I might use Mismagius. Sure, its stats and movepool don't improve that much as compared to what Misdreavus had, but hey when a Pokemon evolves it always gives you a feel good factor which makes you more likely to use it =p

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:30 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

i never looked at mismagius befor to go in my team i never even looked at misdreavus my goust type was always gengar modest nature with thunderbolt
ice beam
hyperbeam
shadow ball

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:50 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

I rate highly Kyogre's move combo of Thunder and Surf together with Drizzle, its ability. Together with Calm Mind, Kyogre has an incredibly powerful Special Sweeping moveset. Ice Beam also covers its weakness to Grass, such that only Electric types can pose a real threat to it. Even then, with a few Calm Minds set up, this can be negated too. One of my top few Legendaries.

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:01 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

A Pokémon I like has been finally picked! Yay!

Anyway, Blaziken's probably one of my top favorite Pokémon. I like its design, and humanoid form, and colours, but I really can't relate it to any animal I know. Well, it's probably some kind of chicken, but, honestly, being a "chicken" Pokémon really takes out points in its coolness.

And this chick is basically all-offensive, which is good for me, 'cause it's the only battle role I play with. I was never a big fan of its movepool though.

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:31 am
Fails at life
Fails at life

i'm working on my pokedex in emerald so i can get a gsc starter and i'm ganna choose {cyndaquil} !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20710 <---come to my shop for TC's (i'm now hiring!!)

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:47 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Exploud is pretty cool!!!

{exploud}

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:36 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Corsola's a possible candidate for getting an evolution. Unfortunately Nintendo introduced evos for Pokemon like Rhydon and Magmar instead, which did not require evos. I haven't used Corsola before, except once in GSC (one of those). It worked okay, but eventually I went for better stats and switched it with something else.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:25 am
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I should point out that it was sN0w who did it for this week...YAY, a return to normalcy! (no tiger, we don't dislike yours - but does this mean that sN0w is out of his mandatory services permanently?)

Anyway, onto Clamperl/Gorebyss/Huntail...

1.) It should be noted that Clamperl @DeepSeaTooth has higher special attack than even light ball pikachu
2.) Gorebyss was always preffered to Huntail, until now - baton passing Calm Minds, Agilitys, Iron Defenses and Amnesias is always cool. However, with sub-par stats, and defensive/speed stats too low for todays metagame, it can't pass a single stat boost.
3.) Huntail has a chance, again - thanks to Physical/Special Split, it can now make use of STAB and a decent attack. Personally though - Floatzel > whole family even as one pokemon :O

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:02 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Actually, I still did it. :P I saw sN0wBaLL in the chats, so I asked him if he would like to do a bump for the first time in a year. After all, the only thing different with it is the bump itself. (Note the really short "further review" section.) My latest bumps are getting old, so this opportunity ended up being a decent alternative.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:30 pm
Lite Four
Lite Four

Yeah, it was just a cameo appearance from me; it's still tiger's show ;o [/late]

Anyway, Lanturn... <3. The first time I used it in a game I think I went with Rainy Day, Thunder, Surf and Ice Beam or a similar set, and it worked well for me. Overall, the type combination is good and it has the movepool and stats to support it.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I love using {tropius} as a drainer with sunny day and "chlorophyll" ability. But the 5 weaknesses is a super turn off plus the fact that he takes x4 damage from ice attacks.. ouch! easy to counter.. :(

Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:30 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

No way I'd let this slip. :p

Altaria (or Tyltalis; I actually prefer the romanization version of her Japanese name) is my favorite Pokémon. I can't say it's always been because it belongs to the third generation, but if it appeared in the first, it would definetly be my number one ever since the beginning.

First time I saw Altaria I instantly associated it with the Dragon type, but the creature itself reminded me of a blue swan, with pretty cloud/cotton-like wings and some nice ribbon-like things on top of its head. Of course the first thing that caught my eyes was Altaria's design; the only "bad" thing I can say about it is how it flaps the collection of cotton that make its wings and fly, but that's a minor point.

Everything about Altaria's Pokédex entry is awesome, and I love the fact it's an awesome singer because I actually like its in-game cry. I'd love to have a Pokémon that sings beautifully and doesn't put you immediately to sleep.

I like the overall idea revolving Altaria. It's a Dragon Pokémon, but it's not ugly or aggressive, which is something you kind of expect from a draconic creature. Quite on the contrary, it's pretty, delicate and sings a melodious tune that makes you "experience dreamy wonderment". That's why Flygon and Dragonair are my second and third favorite Dragon-types; they're like Altaria, cute and hug-inducing dragons.

I'm happy you can use Altaria as a Physical or Special Sweeper, because those are the only Battle Roles I like to use. I don't have an Altaria in my team at the moment, but I will transfer a Swablu from Sapphire as soon as possible. True, Tyltalis is not exactly that strong, but it's not supposed to be: it's a Dragon alright, but just look at its overall demeanor and you'll understand it's not an agressive battler. I mean, it's all pretty and knows Natural Cure and all. ;p

10/10 - Altaria is just awesome even if it's UU. <3

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:55 am
Lite Four
Lite Four

Galar wrote:
cute and hug-inducing dragons

Summary of what I have to say <3

Despite appearances, Altaria does work pretty well for me, albeit in-game. It has a fairly good movepool (though most Dragons do, if not all) and the ability to learn Dragon Dance boosts its sweeping ability further.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next