It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Metagross 
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I want a physical Metagross, but are once again struggling with movesets.

{metagross}
Adamant|252Atk 252Spd
-EQ
-Zen Headbutt/Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Explosion/Quick Attack

What should I go for? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of possible sets?

Cheers, Bluestrike

Obsidian Wolf offered these sets:
{metagross}@Life Orb / Expert Belt
Adamant
252Atk / 196 Spd / 58 HP
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Thunder Punch / Explosion

{metagross}@Choice Band
Adamant
252 Atk 252 HP/Spd
-Bullet Punch
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-EQ / Explosion

Or Sword of Destiny's trick room Metagross: (which was ripped to shreds by Jamashawalker below)

{metagross} @ Iron Ball (to ensure that it will always be slower)
Brave|252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Def
~ Gyro Ball
~ Hammer Arm
~ Ice Punch/Earthquake/Zen Headbutt
~ Thunderpunch

Last edited by Bluestrike on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:13 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, you can have a fair amount of physical variations, I've found. I run the Agiligross:

Metagross@Life Orb / Expert Belt
Adamant
252Atk / 196 Spd / 58 HP

Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Thunder Punch / Explosion

This set is pretty simple; you Agility, then you outspeed and sweep. Life Orb for the extra power, but after taking a hit and then receiving recoil every turn, it can lead to Metagross' premature demise. As a result, I go for Expert Belt.

The case for Thunder Punch is really about how much you fear being walled by Gyarados and Skarmory. While Intimidate doesn't touch Metagross (thanks to Clear Body, which still makes no sense) it still takes two attack increases from Meteor Mash before you have a hope in hell of taking out Gyarados. As for Skarmory, you may as well call it good game if you don't have Thunder Punch, whereas Explosion can just dent any Pokemon that is unfortunate to see this Pokemon explode.

There's also the Choice Band set...

Metagross@Choice Band
Adamant
252 Atk 252 HP/Spd

Bullet Punch
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
EQ / Explosion

Choice Band and Bullet Punch make for a great combination, as this Pokemon receives STAB on this boosted attack. Meteor Mash has loads more power though, and is more desirable in some cases (like getting another attack boost, which is always nice.)

Thunder Punch and Ice Punch offer some nice coverage and screw over anything with Flying or Water in its name, and renders the 600 dragons pretty damn worried about switching in.

As for EQ / Explosion, well...EQ is the safer bet, while Explosion pretty much KOs anything that doesn't resist it.

You might want to put Zen Headbutt on there somewhere for the sake of a second STAB move and damaging Weezing a little more. This, however, is situational, and finding a better place to put it is pretty tricky.

Good luck with your Meta. ;)

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:26 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

I never find I have time for setting up. I find it hard to switch in and set up ever, especially when Metagross is weak to the most common move in the game: Earthquake.

But I like the sound of the Choice Band set, especially the STABed, banded bullet punch. However I dont have access to emerald move tutors, so the elemental punches are out of the question for me. What do you think as alternatives?
maybe:

{metagross}@ Choice Band
Adamant|252Atk 252Spd
-EQ
-Bullet Punch
-Zen Headbutt / Rock Slide
-Explosion

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:38 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

That's a nuisance, if you have Wifi, try and get one off someone else, or ask them to get it for you. It'll be worth it.

But for now, I think your set looks pretty fine, though you might want to consider Stone Edge over Rock Slide; the drop in PP is worth the power in my opinion.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:13 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Location: I'm stuck somewhere... Not quite sure where that is though.
I ran an Agiligross that had this moveset:

Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Agility
Explosion

It worked pretty well. I did have Life Orb on it too. I used Agility and when I too low on health to use an attack or I needed to kill something quickly, I would use Explosion.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:17 pm
Profile YIM
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I've used this set to great effect before:
Metagross
Nature: Adamant
Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb/Shuca or Occa Berry
EVs: 252 in Attack and Hp
Moves:
~Ice Punch/Meteor Mash
~Thunder Punch
~Agility
~Earthquake

I don't have Explosion as a move cos I thought a better type Coverage would pay off better. :)

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:27 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

To sum up and make some points of my own:
If your Metagross is going to be used for competitive play, YOU HAVE TO use thunderpunch. If not, gyarados will wall you and laugh at you while DDing up, as it's immune to EQ and resistant to Meteor Mash, two of Metagross' strongest attacks.

Obviously, you are going to use a steel attack as well. Meteor Mash for higher Base Power and a chance to increase the Attack stat, or Bullet Punch to kill weakened pokes or OHKO weavile before it starts rampaging through your team.

Another worthy move to have is Ice Punch to deal with dragons (and especially Garchomp, who will OHKO you, unless you invest some EVs in HP and/or Def).

The last move is up to preference, really. You have the option of Explosion to take another poke down before you die, Zen Headbutt to be able to harm Weezing, who will otherwise wall you, Agility if you run an Agiligross set or pursuit to murder switching gengars and alakazams.

In addition, you have the option of a metagross designed to function in Trick Room. You don't want to waste a slot in metagross' moveset for Trick Room, so you should have another poke set it up. Then you switch your metagross in and you start killing stuff. Here is the moveset:

Metagross @ Iron Ball (to ensure that it will always be slower)
Brave
252 Atk, 252 HP, 6 Def
~ Gyro Ball
~ Hammer Arm
~ Ice Punch/Earthquake/Zen Headbutt
~ Thunderpunch

Gyro Ball to take advantage of the low speed, Hammer Arm to kill any blissey who dares to stay in thinking that it can Counter you, Ice Punch or Earthquake or Zen Headbutt for coverage and Thunder Punch for Gyarados. There...

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:54 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

that set doesnt work that well... not unless your playing against an extremely fast thing like ninjask, yanmega, areodactly....

metagross's speed isnt that slow...lol everyone always thinks that, a 70 base speed isnt fast at all...but it isnt the slowest thing out there

sometimes you dont even get the oppurtunity to do a hammer arm and so your speed will still be 130 at the lowest with an iron ball...

The choice of moveset is very crucial....EQ you can stop an Evire from hurting you back with it's EQ and an infernape from gettin a safe switch in on you...If you have Ice punch you can stop a life orbed/focus band garchomp from OHKOing you with EQ or choice specs salamence doing fire blast....and if you dont have Thunderpunch, as said before, a gyrados or any other water pokemon can set up on you easily....and your runnin a gyro ball set...so you'll be very limited between: thunder punch, ice punch, and EQ

switchout will be constant for you....you'll maybe get one hammer arm and ppl can get a safe switch on you easily with a prediction lol and yeah you can stop a blissey but a blissey wouldnt switch in on a metagross anyways...nor would it stay in on a metagross...and any other physical wall stops this, but physical walls are called physical walls for a reason haha so yeah no need to harp on that....

lol and basically you'll be using more of your other moves than gyro ball....only against really fast ppl which you can OHKO with meteor mash anyways and have a bettter choice of item, better EV spread, better moveset

O and gyro ball doesnt do as much as metoer mash does because as i said before metagross isnt that slow, and alot of the fast types usually resist gyro ball, to the point where you'll be doin another move that is super effective anyways....

IE:
EQ on infernape...
ice punch on garchomp and salamence
thunder punch on gyrados
EQ on an Evire that just got a speed boost

basically gyro ball is just a waisted moveset for him...doesnt surprise anyone, doesnt have that great of a strategy behind it, many things can counter it besides walls, if you have the wrong thing your basically screwed...even ran on a trick room team it's kinda screwed lol because their are far more things slower than metagross or have a speed that is just as equal to him

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

that set doesnt work that well... not unless your playing against an extremely fast thing like ninjask, yanmega, areodactly....

metagross's speed isnt that slow...lol everyone always thinks that, a 70 base speed isnt fast at all...but it isnt the slowest thing out there

sometimes you dont even get the oppurtunity to do a hammer arm and so your speed will still be 130 at the lowest with an iron ball...

The choice of moveset is very crucial....EQ you can stop an Evire from hurting you back with it's EQ and an infernape from gettin a safe switch in on you...If you have Ice punch you can stop a life orbed/focus band garchomp from OHKOing you with EQ or choice specs salamence doing fire blast....and if you dont have Thunderpunch, as said before, a gyrados or any other water pokemon can set up on you easily....and your runnin a gyro ball set...so you'll be very limited between: thunder punch, ice punch, and EQ

switchout will be constant for you....you'll maybe get one hammer arm and ppl can get a safe switch on you easily with a prediction lol and yeah you can stop a blissey but a blissey wouldnt switch in on a metagross anyways...nor would it stay in on a metagross...and any other physical wall stops this, but physical walls are called physical walls for a reason haha so yeah no need to harp on that....

lol and basically you'll be using more of your other moves than gyro ball....only against really fast ppl which you can OHKO with meteor mash anyways and have a bettter choice of item, better EV spread, better moveset

O and gyro ball doesnt do as much as metoer mash does because as i said before metagross isnt that slow, and alot of the fast types usually resist gyro ball, to the point where you'll be doin another move that is super effective anyways....

IE:
EQ on infernape...
ice punch on garchomp and salamence
thunder punch on gyrados
EQ on an Evire that just got a speed boost

basically gyro ball is just a waisted moveset for him...doesnt surprise anyone, doesnt have that great of a strategy behind it, many things can counter it besides walls, if you have the wrong thing your basically screwed...even ran on a trick room team it's kinda screwed lol because their are far more things slower than metagross or have a speed that is just as equal to him

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 pm
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

I only double battle, so this is only if that is happening..

I found that since Metagross is weak to the most common move (earthquake), place protect on him and couple him with a sp. attacker with surf / electric move...

Metagross @ adamant w/ Kings Rock or Leftovers
EV: 252@Attack, 252@Speed, 4@Hp
Bullet Punch
Protect
Zen Headbutt
Iron Defense/Agility/Explosion/Earthquake (Whatever works best with your other pokeon with you)

Metagross's attack is high enough that bullet punch does considerable damage. Protect to restore HP and to allow for double battling pokemon to make an attack (Metagross is of course a steel type, making it have considerable resistances, take advantage of it). The Zen Headbutt, when EV trained in speed, should not be going last, and will do considerable damage. The last move is your choice...Mine has earthquake

Koffing has the happiest smile in the world :)

Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:03 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

TastyPastry wrote:
Metagross @ adamant w/ Kings Rock or Leftovers
EV: 252@Attack, 252@Speed, 4@Hp
Bullet Punch
Protect
Zen Headbutt
Iron Defense/Agility/Explosion/Earthquake (Whatever works best with your other pokeon with you)

Metagross's attack is high enough that bullet punch does considerable damage. Protect to restore HP and to allow for double battling pokemon to make an attack (Metagross is of course a steel type, making it have considerable resistances, take advantage of it). The Zen Headbutt, when EV trained in speed, should not be going last, and will do considerable damage. The last move is your choice...Mine has earthquake

In double battle BT, I had one with Explosion with a Endure Salac/Liechi/Petaya pokemon on the side. So Metagross can Explode, hopefully take out 2 opponents, and set up your 2nd pokemon. Works pretty well.

"Screw the Ivys, I'm applying to Smogon University!"

Shinies
Ruby: Spinda, Golbat, Duskull
Pearl: Purugly

Want to be an Official Unofficial Psypoke Gym Leader? Sign up today!

Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:46 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

How about, for a surprise against your opponent, a special Metagross?

{metagross} @Life Orb/Choice Specs
Modest
252 SP ATK 252 SPEED
Grass Knot
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power/Flash Cannon

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:06 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Do you think it's worth the Sacrifice to "Surprise" an Opponent? You give up way to much by making it a Special Sweeper. I'm totally against these kinds of things because there are many better Special Sweepers to choose from...why not let Metagross reach it's full potential? :?

Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:57 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Roar Of Time wrote:
surprise

The opponent will assume that Metagross is a Physical Sweeper and thus switch in something like Hippowdon,

Metagross used Grass Knot!
It's Super Effective!
Hippowdon Fainted!

<Derek> is anyone here ??
<AngrySparrow> No
<Derek> im gonna leave because no one is here
*** Derek has quit (Exit: Psypoke Forever!)

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:40 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Sapphirath does have a point this time; specsGross is pretty much on the side of gimmick movesets.

Metagross just doesn't have enough interesting special attack options to really surprise foes, especially with the lack of ice beam/thunderbolt/flamethrower in their movepool. This alone separates special attacking Metagross (a gimmick) from special attacking Tyranitar (equal special attack, lower speed, but greater special movepool).

Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Bug Catcher
Bug Catcher

Post Re:
gamer guy wrote:
I ran an Agiligross that had this moveset:

Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Agility
Explosion

It worked pretty well. I did have Life Orb on it too. I used Agility and when I too low on health to use an attack or I needed to kill something quickly, I would use Explosion.

My Metagross knows the same moves and holds the same item. You are right, he works really well.

Visit my Trade Thread!
http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29496

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:08 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Heres what i would do (btw, i dont do EVs, so you can do them):

{metagross} @Choice band
Adamant
--Earthquake
--Meteor Mash
--Zen headbutt
--Bullet Punch

My Soul Silver Team:
{feraligatr} {charizard} {sceptile} {ampharos} {crobat} {scizor}

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Screen metagross running impish nature is awesome,it allows for your weaker pokes to actually set up or give extra turns cuz your opponent has to switch out to break the walls with brick break.

:b

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]