It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dumbledore Gay? 

Do you think Dumbledore is gay?
Yes 73%  73%  [ 24 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 33

Dumbledore Gay? 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I agree with Galar. It is important for the development of the book and understanding of the characters to show some implications in the book rather than to make up descriptions outside the books that have nothing to do with anything mentioned within them. Why does it matter if he's gay or not? For the same reasons it would matter if he was black, Jewish, Asian, Catholic, Middle Eastern, or actually from Russia. These cultural characteristics, if applied to anyone mentioned in books, give us a different understand and reaction to the way characters relate to others.

Rowlings didn't have to make any mention about Dumbledore's sexuality. She could have said "yes" or "no" to the question at hand because nothing was ever mentioned in the book. It's the fact that she decided to say "yes" when it made no difference that confused everyone. Everyone wants to find what they missed in the story that would change how they read the character relations and development.

The Obsidian Wolf wrote:
But by that argument, you assume that every character is straight.

Absolutely, and for the same reason I believe that every character is a white, Christian, American of Western European decent unless explicitly stated. Because that's who I am, and it helps me relate to and understand the character better. If the character is described as black, I know him to be a completely different person culturally. Many books don't bother to state race or nationality, because it doesn't matter, but can sometimes be implied if the person's eye or hair color is mentioned or by certain locations described. If the writer finds it necessary to even bother with the details, he better damn well make a reason for it. There's absolutely no reason to limit a character if it has nothing to do with the story.

The only problem with this whole situation is terrible character development. It has nothing to do with what Rowlings says about her characters, it's whether or not it has any meaning. There's nothing that irritates me more in movies and books when a character is introduced with specific mention of their past, a nervous habit, pet peeve or the like, and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything in any way. If nothing ever comes of who we understand someone to be, it makes them far more boring and lacking in substance.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:48 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

There was a reason, Dumbledore had strong feelings towards the guy as more than a friend, making their battle so dramatic. Not everybody missed it.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I've never actually read the books or know anyone who does. No one mentioned much in here; what else do they say? ;o

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I can't exactly say more than Dat has already pointed out. I pretty much have the same opinion he does, so please refer to his post for comments.

I didn't bother with Sirius because I hate him, and I could care less for his sexual orientation. Dumbledore's one of my favorite characters, so I was rather confused when JK mentioned his sexuality, which is a differing feature (then we head back to DatVu's post).

Guys, it's just my point of view, it doesn't mean it's the right one, or how it was supposed to be. I've already said that that was an interesting subject <i>to me</i>, I'm not saying the way I'm defending is the absolute right way, but how it should've been to <i>me</i>.

And I don't relate to your "going about equal rights to everyone" comment, because, as I've said before, it's not entirelly to do with homosexuality, but to something that I found interesting and liked. For example, I was very happy that Tonks and Lupin got together, and I'd be as much pissed as I am towards Dumbledore's situation if JK hadn't developed that and simply pointed out in an interview "oh, yeah, they were lovers".

I don't remember such "Dumbledore had strong feelings towards his friend" fragment in the book, so I'm going to re-read it. I thought that statement was what JK said in the interview. If there is such passage in the text, then I apologize for saying absolutely nothing that could've been interpreted differently was mentioned.

You see what I mean? It's not the fact that he's gay; it could've been anything that caught my attention. Another situation to add to that Tonks & Lupin example I gave, Snape's and Lucius' friendship: while that does not add anything at all to the story, it's not a polemic topic and doesn't really matter, I was very disappointed that it was only briefly mentioned.

I hope I made myself clear this time.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:36 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I thought you made yourself clear last time Galar.

DatVu wrote:
I've never actually read the books or know anyone who does. No one mentioned much in here; what else do they say? ;o

The books go on too long for me to remember but when I get the 7th book back, I'll try and find something.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:42 am
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

I thought you made yourself clear last time Galar.

Well, apparently not, since I've been questioned after I posted. I was trying to explain my opinion to Obs, not you, or anyone else; it's clear that you've already understood.

I've found a few interesting things for us interested in this subject.

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=113243 <-- The people at COS Forums are having an interesting discussion on JK's revelations here. I've read the first few pages, but couldn't find a post where hints were posted, unfortunately. Maybe someone has already posted them somewhere else.

And I didn't know about this site until now: http://www.jkrowling.com It seems that she releases information about the series and characters on her official website, like a canon spin-off kind of source or something. That's how some people got to know that Draco marries Astoria Greengrass. Gasp? I don't know, I have no idea who she is.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:59 am
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Post Re:
CharmedJoey wrote:
Dumbledore had strong feelings towards the guy as more than a friend, making their battle so dramatic. Not everybody missed it.

What I don't understand about that point is that I've seen no implication of Dumbledore having feelings towards Grindlewald (I'm assuming Grindelwald as none of you have mentioned the name) as more than just friends, I always saw Dumbledore being reluctant to meet Grindlewald in battle because of what happened to Ariana.

~Death

^Click to Visit Pokemon Cobalt^

Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Dumbledore being gay is really came by suprise to me. But I mean, once thought about it, it really didn't show that he had any feelings for anyone, even a girl.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:35 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This is seriously funny. Anyways, My questions for this are...
Why would JK Rowling announce that Dubmledore is gay?
And where are the evidences that proves that Dumbledore is gay?
And why did she just state it now?
Was this planned by JK or was it just to surprise the audience?
LOL

Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:37 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

manuel_suplico2 wrote:
This is seriously funny. Anyways, My questions for this are...
Why would JK Rowling announce that Dubmledore is gay?
And where are the evidences that proves that Dumbledore is gay?
And why did she just state it now?
Was this planned by JK or was it just to surprise the audience?
LOL

Did you read the topic at all? It was CLEARLY STATED that she said this in response to a question from the audience. Along with most of the supposed references to it. Please READ THE TOPIC to see if your questions have already been answered before making a new post.

Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Fails at life
Fails at life

Oh yeah, he always touches Harry! omg! it wakes me up!:P

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Gay does not mean pedophile.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:38 pm
Fails at life
Fails at life

Sparrow wrote:

What does pedophile means?

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Art Commentator
Art Commentator

It means what you said three posts above this one.

Idiot.

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:37 am
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Jaredt222 wrote:
Sparrow wrote:

What does pedophile means?

Here ya go

Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:27 am
Profile YIM
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

Post Re:
Galar wrote:

Dumbledore is a main character, and while his sexuality won't change a thing about him in the series, it still affected the fans. The impact would be a lot stronger if it was stated in the book, of course.

We aren't discussing his sexuality, we're discussing how it was introduced; just like that, answering a question of a fandom. Is there a problem in that? Of course not, but it could have been a lot more developed and explored than that.

:frustrated: EXACTLY! He was NEVER stated to be straight! Just because you can't tell doesn't make someone straight!

Also, HE EFFING CALLED IT!

Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 am
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

Location: On a little blue marble called Earth rolling through the playground known as the Solar System.
Personally, why should I care? I wouldn't care if Rowling said Dumbledore was straight. He's still Dumbledore. If he was straight there wouldn't be anything different about the story. Why is it that now that people know he's gay, topics about him go how sad they were when he died to speculating if it's true? Come on people, Rowling said it herself, so deal with it and get on with your lives!

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:06 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

To be honest, you're so right. No one made an outburst when we found out Neville was straight!

Also, WHOO! TWO HUNDRED!

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:53 am
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

Location: I'm not telling you! Why do you want to know anyways?...Are you a stalker?!
I'll play the devil's advocate here. :twisted: When did it mention in the book that Neville was heterosexual? Besides, we still never got the explanation as to why he had that strange affinity to magical plants.

Once there was a man who ate a poisonous grapefruit and died.The moral of the story:DON'T EAT POISON GRAPEFRUIT!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:41 pm
Ace Trainer
Ace Trainer

I thought it said in the last book.... oh, I'm mistaken. Then read Neville Longbottom as "Draco Malfoy"

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:26 am
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

rio_uk wrote:
To be honest, you're so right. No one made an outburst when we found out Neville Draco was straight!

Because that's somewhat expected of society, it's not.. I don't know how to put it.. it's not expected for someone to be gay, like, you're straight until proven gay/bi/trans etc.. so in Draco's case, I never once thought that he was gay at all. However for Dumbledore, there was always that slight chance because J.K. Rowling took no notice of mentioning any other affairs that he had, therefore making it more suspecting, since he's old, that he was actually gay. For a teenage guy not to have a girlfriend, that's not that crazy, plus I don't think J.K. was going to make > 1 person gay, even though I just think she made Dumbledore gay just as a political statement. Its the same way in the fact that at the end of Law & Order (a crime show on NBC), they revealed the other cop, a woman, to be a lesbian, which was utterly pointless, it added /nothing/ to the storyline, making Dumbledore gay is somewhat like that in the fact that all it did was make fanfic writers freak the hell out for a couple of months, other than that its not a big deal at all, and I think she added it in there just to say 'hey, you guys liked him beforehand, why not now? Because he's gay?' even though it held no water throughout the main storyline.

Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

But it did, it held huge significance to his relationship with the supposedly bad guy and Dumbledore's past beliefs. Plus you have to not only build storylines but characters too and there are some things that have to be left to the imagination; to work out for yourself, even just guesses. Otherwise it's no fun. Just because something's not directly stated doesn't mean it's not true, and if proof is needed, the author of the book/creator of the characters confirming it should be proof enough. People's suspicion about his sexuality didn't come randomly from nowhere; it's just that not many people bothered to think about it.

Tue May 13, 2008 7:11 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

so... does this mean Grindelwald is gay too or not? I can't tell.

And I agree with the people who said Dumbledore being gay is totally irrelevant to the overall plot and nothing more than a publicity stunt. I thought the dramatic battle was only dramatic because he didn't want to see the truth of who killed his sister. Now JK tells us otherwise?

Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

CharmedJoey wrote:
But it did, it held huge significance to his relationship with the supposedly bad guy and Dumbledore's past beliefs. Plus you have to not only build storylines but characters too and there are some things that have to be left to the imagination; to work out for yourself, even just guesses.

I still don't think it holds any ground at all, actually, I agree with DP in the fact that it was publicity stunt and nothing more, a political statement about homosexuality isn't a plot device, in my opinion. She might be building characters, but when its.. after the whole series is released, then what's the point? She probably just added that in to say 'o hay u gays, i tink u r 2 cool 2!' in which it added nothing to the story. If Dumbledore were straight, nothing would have changed, at all.

Wed May 14, 2008 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

i think that yes, dumbledore is gay, but it's idiotic how she didn't show it in the books

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2