It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 The Darkness Within Him 
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

You better find a way to make a sequel...or else

I wrote:
And I'm going to write a sort of TDWH 1.5 sequel, detailing the events of Mewtwo.

I, a few posts ago, wrote:
(and I'm currently starting a mini sequel, and planning a second sequel, with the ideas of a third acting as a jumbled mess in my mind. )

So don't worry about that one mate. ;)

And here's the penultamate chapter (I can't spell, so shoot me. :P That's a point, I need to change silhouette, cheers DNA ;) )

Quote:

Scarlet rode on the back of her Dragonair as it wheeled through the darkening sky. Other members of the first wave had teleported, while others traveled over the land on their quick Pokemon. Just beside her rode Erika, riding serenely on the back of a Tropius, oddly graceful despite its bulk. She waved as she passed in front of Scarlet’s Dragonair, before falling into a bank of clouds below.

Scarlet couldn’t shift that image of Xavier’s face, wide eyed and hurt as she had taken Moltres from Red. She hadn’t intended on upsetting him, but equally, she did not want to make her peace with him that quickly; she wanted him to know that she was angry with him.

“Fly lower, we need to see where we are,” she told Dragonair, and the Pokemon slipped beneath the clouds. She scanned the ground, and could only see dense forest. She assumed it to be Viridian Forest, and guided Dragonair a little north. Below her, she could see a growing number of people collecting round a cave, clustering in front of one person. Scarlet descended swiftly, recalling Dragonair and landing gracefully on the ground. She joined the group while Lt. Surge outlined their attack strategy;

“We’ll go through the Diglett Tunnel and into Vermillion City before they get there. Then, we’ll set up a base at my Gym and attack them as they come through. According to our sources, the road’s closed from Celadon, so they’ll have to use Vermillion if they want to storm Saffron by surprise.”

They all nodded, before marching into the gloom of the cave.

The darkness was penetrated by the glow of their many torches, and Scarlet occasionally saw something vanish below the ground as the light passed over it.
They had not been walking long before they saw a circle of light round a corner. The line of people seemed to stack up and pack close together, before hearing the whisper of Lt. Surge’s commands.

”We need to go directly to the Gym. From there, we’ll set up our base.” He motioned for them to follow, and stealthily emerged from the cave.

Outside, Vermillion was quiet. It was late evening now, and there were no people on the streets. The sound of the sea washing over the harbor soothed Scarlet as she followed her comrades towards the Gym.

A scream erupted from behind her, and Scarlet turned quickly. What she saw filled her with such fear that it completely overtook her whole body. She reached for Moltres’ Poke Ball, stumbling back.

The cold blue eye of Darkrai bore down upon her.

It did not take long for Red to find the cave. Having asked a few passers-by where the Cerulean Cave was, they had looked over towards the stream fearfully, before looking back at Red as if he were insane, then walking hurriedly away, throwing glances over their shoulder in fear that he was following them.

Red had dismissed their peculiar behaviour, and had made for the stream. He waded across, not really seeing the purpose in using his Gyarados to ferry him over; it would be more like using its body as a bridge, and didn’t want to tire his Pokemon out for no reason.

The cave was fairly dark, and its properties were maze-like. The manic screech of Golbat could be heard, and only dark flashes of their bodies were seen as Red carefully picked his way along the path. Red released Arcanine, and the Pokemon stayed close by him as they walked, protecting him from any danger that might lurk.

As they rounded a corner, Red trod in a very deep puddle. In fact, he carried on going until he was up to his knees in water. He ordered his Pokemon to perform a Flamethrower attack, revealing the size of the cave. The illumination had shown Red a massive lake, with large, spacious tunnels branching off, aquatic paths through the darkness.

Releasing Gyarados and clambering on with Arcanine, Red navigated his way over the water, asking his fire Pokemon to light up the area once in a while. The whole ordeal was rather nerve-wracking, as more than once, the light had revealed a Golbat’s face and lolling tongue flitting just in front of Red, causing him to gasp and lose his footing on Gyarados.

Before long, Gyarados found dry land, and vanished inside his Poke Ball, leaving Red with Arcanine once more. A final blast of fire revealed a dead end, but the flames had lit up a creature, sitting on a rock. Red advanced in the darkness, before asking Arcanine to light up the cave again.

The creature was much closer this time round, and Red was taken aback at how fast it had moved. Another blast of fire, and the Pokemon was directly in front of Red. He hadn’t realised how large it was, its purple body exceeding seven foot in height!

Red fumbled with the Dragon’s Tooth, before holding it out, palm flat. In the darkness, Red felt it leave his hand as it was snatched.

“Mewtwo,” Red stated, and a burst of blue light lit up the chamber and the Pokemon’s figure. It writhed on the floor as a mysterious blue sphere hovered in the air just above it. It pulsed, and with each throb, the squirming Pokemon flinched a little. The process looked painful.

Then, as suddenly as the light had appeared, it vanished, spiraling downwards towards the Pokemon.

For a moment, there was nothing but silence and darkness. Red could feel his heart thumping, and could hear his own ragged breath.

Then the Pokemon spoke.

“Leader, we’re getting a report from the first wave!” came a voice, and Clair looked up from her position at the table. The other members of the Life Alliance had gone to prepare, and she was left alone in the meeting room. The man who had spoken was Alex, and he ran forward with a handheld device. “It’s Lt. Surge!”

Clair took the portable screen from Alex, and brought it up to her face. “What’s the situation?” she demanded.

“Clair, we were ambushed! No sooner had we got out of that cave, Lance and his followers appeared, almost out of nowhere! He’s wiped out the whole of our team, and now he’s going north, he’s killed so many of us! What are your orders?”

His voice was edged with a note of panic, despite the control he had tried to place on it. He was a lieutenant, after all, and had served in the Great War, so he was used to death, but not this carnage that he had witnessed.

“How many dead?” Clair asked, fearing the answer.

“I don’t know, we’ve not finished counting the bodies,” was his reply. Clair’s stomach lurched. “I’ve got everything on video, I’ve been maintaining a recording for the whole of the journey, let me send it to you.”

His face vanished, and was replaced by a grainy screen, with a heavily green tinge. Clair recognized it to be night vision, and saw that the camera was moving steadily through a cave. It paused for a moment, and Clair could make out Lt. Surge’s voice, preparing the group to go to the gym.

The picture then moved outside, and a scream stabbed through the silence. The camera whipped round, thrown violently this way and that. Clair could make out great beams lancing down over the terrain. A sudden burst of fire lit up the scene, and Clair saw Moltres burst out from one of the figures, clearly Scarlet. Its fire illuminated the attacker, and Clair could make out her cousin, flanked by a being that she had never seen before, though it filled her with a cold dread. Clair’s hand went to her mouth as the being, a black creature with a white plume on its head, turned to the camera and stared at it, stared at her with those cold, ice blue eyes.

Then it focused its attention on Moltres, holding out a skeletal hand and firing a beam of pure darkness. Moltres was hit, and the bird fell out of the sky. Then it turned toward Scarlet, held out its arm, and jerked forward.

Despite the grainy picture, Clair could make out the detail as if it were happening in front of her. Darkrai’s arm had gone straight through Scarlet, and a dark aura was pulsing around the two of them. Then its arm was ripped back, and Scarlet could be seen falling to her knees.

Then the camera turned the other way as Lt. Surge made a retreat. His face flickered back on screen as the video ended.

“Joe…” Clair said, using Lt. Surge’s first name for the first time. “I never dreamed that Lance would become this powerful…”

“I know,” Lt. Surge replied. “The girl was the first to fall, but she certainly isn’t the last. Already, I’ve lost over half my group. The second front better be ready, because if it’s not, then it’s going the same way we did.”

Clair nodded, and ended the transmission.

“You are…Red?” the being asked, though there was no sound. It was as if the voice came from inside Red’s head. Red nodded and, despite the pitch black darkness of the Cerulean Cave, the Pokemon made a confirmatory noise. “And you have returned my self to my…self…”

The cave suddenly lit up, and Red saw that the source was a light blue orb that the Pokemon held in its ‘hand.’ It was not dissimilar to the orb that had just vanished inside it.

“You will not remember me.” The Pokemon voiced this in Red’s mind once again, and he said it sadly, and the orb dimmed slightly, before it sparked up again. “But you returned my power; why?”

It was now that Red was able to look at the Pokemon properly. It was vaguely human in shape, in that it had two arms, two legs and a head. But it was clearly not; it had no mouth, for starters, and it only had three fingers, and oddly shaped feet. But it was the eyes that told Red that it was a Pokemon, for these were nothing like a human’s. They burned with intelligence that could perhaps outstrip that of a man’s, and yet they also held a primitive and beast-like quality.

“We need your help, Mewtwo,” Red finally said, and Mewtwo turned away. “We have encountered a Pokemon, led by a man that is intending on destroying the world, and its power is so vast that we do not think we will be able to stop it with our power alone.”

Mewtwo looked at Red, and he felt as though those fiery eyes were looking into his very essence. “Who is this ‘we’ that you refer to?”

“The Life Alliance,” Red said, and wished he hadn’t. The Pokemon’s eyes widened, and the very cavern shook, as the Pokemon’s rage emanated from it in a blast of telekinetic fury. Red was thrown back by the blast, and he landed awkwardly on Arcanine.

”It was them and their Dragon Leader that imprisoned me in that trinket!” he roared, and the sound tore through Red’s mind. “Clair, and her words of ‘comfort’ and ‘reason.’ It was she that tricked me into splitting my intelligence and my body. My soul, and my vessel…” His rage seemed to be replaced with sadness as he turned away, leaving the orb of light to hover in the air.

Red knew nothing of the Pokemon’s ramblings, but was not prepared to leave now. “But Mewtwo, I brought you back to your body, doesn’t that make you in debt to me?”

Mewtwo turned slowly, before hovering towards Red. The power that it exuded made Red quake as it advanced, and he backed up against the wall. “Your memory has been wiped, Red,” Mewtwo whispered in his mind. “That means you do not remember the day you battled me, you do not remember how you destroyed me, and you do not remember how you, along with her, wormed your way into my mind and forced me into that trinket.” Mewtwo moved back from Red. “I owe you nothing, save for death and misery.”

Red had anticipated difficulty, but he hadn’t realised that he had been integral to this Pokemon’s separation from itself. “I didn’t know I’d done that,” Red confessed.

“Of course not,” Mewtwo snapped. “I wiped your memory and transported you back to the forest where you first saw me.”

Red was bewildered, but pressed on. “Whatever I did, I apologise for it. If I upset you, and offended you, I’m sorry.”

Mewtwo looked hard at Red. “You are saddened by an act that you do not remember…” he stated it rather than enquired about it. “You feel compassion for me, though you have never met me, and your only experience of me is what you have just seen.” He suddenly laughed, a breath-taking and yet terrifying experience, to hear its savage, undiluted laughter in his mind. “Humans. All the same. They tell you what you want to hear, in the hopes that they will do your bidding. I did that once and look where it got me, trapped in a cave, without my consciousness.”

Red nodded, and thought for a moment. “I won’t take advantage of you Mewtwo. I have come here, to the Cerulean Cave, to ask you for your help. If you decline, then the world will perish, while if you accept, you will be able to do whatever you want afterwards. Please, just help me this time.”

Mewtwo looked at Red for what seemed like a very long time.

Finally, he answered. “I will help you, Red. I will fight for you, but as soon as the battle is won, our alliance will end, understood?”

Red nodded, a grin forming on his face. “Thank you, I’m grateful, Mewtwo.”

Mewtwo narrowed its eyes, and Red wondered what he had said wrong for him to glare at him like this, before he realised the mistake he had made;

Mewtwo was smiling.

Xavier looked from Alex to Clair as they led him into the meeting room. He had been preparing his Pokemon for when they would go to battle, but Alex had requested that he come and see the Gym Leader.

Without saying a word, Clair handed him the handheld screen. The images on the screen seemed to fly by like a dream, some awful nightmare, and Xavier dropped the device on the floor as he watched Scarlet die.

“Oh, Xavier, I’m so sorry,” Alex whispered, as his son collapsed into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably. “I really am sorry.”

Xavier held onto his father so tightly, digging his fingers into his father’s jacket, weeping hard into his chest. He yelled into his father, a primal scream of rage and the inability to change what had passed. Alex stroked the back of his hair, making soft noises as Xavier was racked with great sobs.

Clair spoke tersely. “If anything, this has merely strengthened our resolve. Lance has taken away our loved ones, and that will only fuel the fire of our rage. Alex, prepare the Second Wave, for we are going to war. Red will have to catch up with us, for we are going to bring down Lance ourselves. Now.”

Ooh, Clair's incensed! How will this pan out? Tune in tomorrow to find out! [/TV advert]

Yup, I killed off a main charrie. I always planned for that to happen, too, but I didn't know who it would be. I decided when I wrote the Unown chapter, when it said about Xavier having to suffer the consequences of finding his father, that she should die.

*goes to check she actually dies in this chappie and not the next...*

Yup, jolly good. All's well in the land of TDWH. ^_^

Oh, and to whet your appetites for the sequel, it's going to be called...

The Secret She Holds

I wanted to go with the same sort of theme as my last title, so look forward to it! :P

thanks for your support people!

~Obs.

"Play with fire and expect to be burned."

Last edited by The Obsidian Wolf on Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

At the rate you're going, I'll be surprised if this story has a happy ending. You do have a way with words, however I thought Scarlet was possessed or something, instead of just dead.
Eh, I wonder what happened to Moltres after that? But yeah, you still can't spell (referring to [Mewtwo's] consciousness), so *shoots*.
Knowing you, you would survive that gunshot unscathed. :arrow: :idea:

- DNA

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:06 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

At the rate you're going, I'll be surprised if this story has a happy ending.

Mwa ha ha ha...*reveals nothing.*

Quote:
You do have a way with words, however I thought Scarlet was possessed or something, instead of just dead.

Yeah, I wanted that to remain ambiguous until Xavier went schiz. I hope it was clear enough afterwards...

Quote:

Eh, I wonder what happened to Moltres after that?

I hate it when my parents say it, but:

You'll see. ;)

Quote:
But yeah, you still can't spell (referring to [Mewtwo's] consciousness), so *shoots*.
Knowing you, you would survive that gunshot unscathed. :arrow: :idea:

*changed.* Even with the help of mircrosoft's spellchecker, I manage to miss my spelling mistakes. I've proofread that twice as well, you'd have thought I would have noticed it. :P

Woo, update tomorrow at about twelve o clock...^_^

- DNA[/quote]

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:15 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

Woo, update tomorrow at about twelve o clock...^_^

- DNA
[/quote]
Now I'm very confused...But that'll be 4am my time so it'll be there when I wake up tomorrow! Yay.
- DNA

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:28 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Well, I just posted this damn message, and it was all dramatic and the like, but my internet was being stupid, and killed it before it posted. D=

So, here I am writing it all out again.

To sum up:

Here's the last chapter. :P (It's a bit long, but I kept adding things to it. Hee hee!)

Quote:

Metal lay with wood in the silence of Saffron. Great structures that had once stood proud in the city were now leveled, mingling with the earth that they had been built upon. The revered Gyms of Saffron had nothing but a half-standing frame on which the sign ‘Fighting Dojo’ hung, swinging slightly in the morning breeze. The dust, brought on this early wind, settled on puddles of blood, pooling from the battle that had taken place in the early hours of the morning. In the center of Saffron stood the Silph Co. HQ, the only building for miles among a wasteland of twisted metal and total destruction. It was from here, on the roof of his prize, that Lance stood with his Pokemon, Darkrai.

“Look at it all,” Lance breathed, a wide and hungry look in his eyes. “To think that our power, combined, has brought this gift to these tormented people. And now they all lay at rest, free from the suffering of life.”

Darkrai remained emotionless, its appetite for destruction having been filled that night. The second wave had come, and even the Doom Project had not been prepared for the power of the attack. Flocks of bird Pokemon had rained down upon them as they had marched into the city, and an army of gargantuan Pokemon had borne down upon the Doom Project’s shocked members.

Lance had been quick to respond, however. Darkrai had set up a dome of protection around the Doom Project’s members, and the army had struggled to break through. This had given Lance’s men enough time to organize themselves and set their own Pokemon into battle formation, whereby the shields had been lowered.

It was not clear who had caused the most damage to Saffron. The battle had been bloody, for the opposition had been incensed with the hate for their enemy. Lance’s cousin had led her side valiantly, and had been a powerful opponent. But even the might of her dragons had succumbed to the all encompassing power of Darkrai. He was near impervious to any Pokemon’s attack, any beam glancing off, and any Pokemon that was foolish enough to try and attack physically was immediately destroyed.

The battle had been short, and many of them had turned and fled at the mere sight of The King of The Other World. The population of Saffron had been decimated, for many of their broken bodies lay beneath the ruins.

There had been one soldier, a boy with white streaked hair, who had attacked with an immensely powerful Larvitar, its power actually disarming Lance and Darkrai. They had both been caught unaware, and Darkrai managed to erect a shield seconds before the Pokemon had hurled a rock the size of a large house toward them both.

The boy was consumed with rage and grief, and Lance had toyed with him during his final moments. “You killed her! You killed her!” he had kept repeating, while his Pokemon struck repeatedly in vain against the shield. Darkrai had sadistically choked Larvitar, then let it get its breath back again before repeating the process. The boy had eventually broken down at Lance’s feet, crying uncontrollably, begging for Lance to kill him to end his misery.

But Lance did not kill him. Lance was giving the gift of death to those who deserved it, and this boy neither deserved it nor was he a threat. His punishment was his life, and Lance left him, sobbing on the floor.

“You lordship,” came a voice, and a cloaked man with a Dragonite approached him on the roof, bowing repeatedly as he came. “The other Cardinals have begun invading the surrounding cities. Vermillion has fallen, but we are having trouble with Celadon, and the Black Cardinal has requested back up to be sent there. Should my men and I go?”

Lance nodded. “Liberate those who live there, young priest, and give them the blessing of death, so that they can be free of this evil world.”

The priest bowed low, before flying off on his Pokemon. Lance turned his attention to the scene of destruction once again, but frowned, a knot of fear beginning to twist in his chest.

Red stood at the base of Silph Co, looking straight up at him, an odd Pokemon by his side.

“I thought you killed him at Mount Silver!” spat Lance, turning quickly to Darkrai. The Pokemon did not speak, it merely fixed Lance with such a gaze that made its thoughts clear; it did not answer to Lance, like some Trainer’s Pokemon. Lance depended on its power as much as it depended on Lance to get it into this world.

”Just make sure you kill him this time!” Lance said angrily, turning back to look down, but he was met with an odd sight that made him step back.

Red and his Pokemon were hovering just in front of him. They moved forward and landed on the roof. “This is Mewtwo,” Red said, indicating to the tall Pokemon.

“Ah, Giovanni’s pet,” Lance stated, trying to keep in control of the situation. “I heard he was experimenting on something. I thought it would look a little more…stylish?”

A ball of energy was hurled towards Lance that was only just deflected by Darkrai’s shield. “If you insist on insulting people, insult him,” Mewtwo rumbled, indicating to Red. “He cannot tear you apart with his mind. I can.”

Red could see a flicker of fear fly over Lance’s face. He smirked. “Feeling a bit hot under the collar, Lance?” he taunted.

Lance tried to adopt his arrogant smirk, but failed, deciding instead to just sneer. “Don’t be so confident Red. Your little army failed its job, I’m still here. I defeated your army at Vermillion and I slaughtered all who came here.”

It was Red’s turn to start. He was wide-eyed. “You killed them?” he breathed.

”Every one,” Lance replied, smirking savagely.

For a moment, Red was speechless, shaking with fear from Lance’s terrifying news. Then he spoke:

“Destroy him.” Red’s order was followed by a quick volley of energy balls that exploded as they connected with Darkrai’s barrier, forcing Lance and Darkrai back. The darkness Pokemon flew up into the sky, followed by Mewtwo, and they hovered for a moment, before unleashing a barrage of energy attacks.

The multitude of lights lit up the sky, and Red and Lance sent no orders to the Pokemon. Mewtwo, the strongest Pokemon in the world, against Darkrai, the King of another dimension.

As Mewtwo struggled to ward off a series of dark blasts, Darkrai fired a thick beam that lanced through Mewtwo. The psychic Pokemon was hurled to the ground where it slammed into the debris.

Seconds later, it was back in the sky. Its telepathic cry could be heard by both Red and Lance, as a blue aura surrounded it. Below it, the fallen half of a sky scraper was lifted into the air, so slowly that it didn’t seem to be moving at all at first. The blue aura enveloped that too, and before long, a colossal cuboid was level with Mewtwo. With painfully slow movements, Mewtwo lifted it higher into the air, making it turn a little so that the point where it had broken off was aimed towards Darkrai. Then it was launched with surprising speed toward the darkness Pokemon, creaking and clanking as it was hurled.

A black circle seemed to appear out of nowhere, and Darkrai vanished into it, just as the building hurtled past where it had just been. Darkrai reappeared next to Lance, and the Dragon trainer smirked as the building screeched along the ruined ground of Saffron.

”My Pokemon is far superior to yours, Red. You know you can’t win.”

Red looked at his adversary defiantly. “If teleporting makes you stronger, watch this!”

Mewtwo took his trainer’s intention, and vanished, before reappearing behind Darkrai and hurling another barrage of Shadow Balls at it. Darkrai was hit, unguarded, and fell forward. Then it span round, firing another dark beam at Mewtwo, but the Pokemon had teleported away, back to its position in the sky above Saffron.

Darkrai wasted no time in allowing itself to get hit again; it closed those chilling eyes, and the whole ground of Saffron seemed to glitter. The shards glistened as they rose into the air, catching the sunlight as they went, and it was then that Red realised; Darkrai was summoning every piece of broken glass from the ground!

Darkrai fired every one at its target, Mewtwo.

There was a flash of fire, and the shards were obliterated by the heat. Moltres! It appeared in a flurry of flames in front of Mewtwo, saving it from the sharp attack.

Red felt his heart swell at the sight of his Pokemon, alive and so intact. But no sooner had his smile surfaced, it vanished.

Why was Moltres not with Scarlet?

Moltres and Mewtwo hovered next to one another, and waited for Darkrai’s attack.

“Two against one?” Lance said, the hint of a smile growing. “We need to even the odds. Go, Rayquaza!”

His green serpent appeared, taking its place next to Darkrai, and the four Pokemon hovered in the air, each waiting for the other to act.

Suddenly, Rayquaza sped forwards, aiming for Mewtwo, but it teleported away, just in time. Moltres flapped its fiery wings once, darting upwards, before shooting a plume of fire towards Rayquaza. The dragon swerved out of the way, but was met with a storm of energy balls that Mewtwo had fired from its new position.

“Darkrai, help Rayquaza!” roared Lance, and Darkrai, almost reluctantly, moved toward the one-sided battle. The green serpent’s body crackled with yellow sparks as it wound round Mewtwo, before loosing a Thunderbolt attack. Mewtwo fell once again, and Moltres was left alone in the sky.

Rayquaza fired a Hyper Beam that Moltres quickly avoided. Darkrai, however, held out its arms, and bent the beam to fly upwards. Moltres swerved again, but Darkrai merely redirected the beam once more. This continued for a moment, before Rayquaza loosed another Hyper Beam, and the combination of the two overwhelmed Moltres, and it joined Mewtwo on the ground.

Red turned to Lance, hating his smug expression. “You can’t win, Red. Just embrace the gift that I am giving you, and it will all be over.”

“Don’t you understand?” Red said, angered, “people don’t view life as a punishment. People enjoy it, they want to live.”

”For what?” spat Lance. “So that their achievements and ambitions of life come to naught?”

”We have to make the most of what we’ve been given, Lance. Nothing is forever.”

Lance shook his head. “The new world that I will create with Darkrai will see no death, there will be only life, and never-ending happiness.”

”And how many people will you kill so this world can come into being?” Red asked, oddly sombre.

“As many as I need to!” retorted Lance, “Kill them!” he cried to the skies.

Red turned just in time to see the fatal attack. Rayquaza blasted a beam down to the ground, narrowly missing Moltres, and the metal and rubble that was sent up in a great plume did not fall back down. Darkrai held them in the air, letting some fall, but keeping others. Before long, Darkrai had an arsenal of pointed, thin sheets of metal and before Red could even order an attack, they were launched at Moltres.

The expression of pain would haunt Red’s nightmares for the rest of his life. Moltres closed its eyes slowly, and its wings flapped helplessly on the ground. A dozen or more shards of metal were imbedded in its body, and Red cried out.

The fire on Moltres’ wings faded, and then the crown of flames were blown out by a sudden wind. Mewtwo had appeared at Red’s side, not knowing what to do when Red held onto him for support as he cried bitterly. “Bring her back!” he yelled at Mewtwo, but the psychic Pokemon shook his head.

“I cannot, Red, for Moltres was killed by an attack from Darkrai. I cannot bring back the dead. But look, there is no need. Moltres is the legendary bird of Fire, after all.”

Red looked through his tears to see a great explosion of fire and the place where Moltres’ body had been, now burned with a steady fire, and a small creature seemed to be stirring inside the flames. It was smaller, but it was undeniably a new Moltres.

“She won’t be yours once she is reborn, Red,” came Lance’s voice behind him. “She’s a new Pokemon, and Moltres no longer belongs to you. She is wild, once again. And that leaves you with just one Pokemon against my two.”

Red turned round, the savage expression on his face offsetting Lance. “Mewtwo, wipe them out.”

Mewtwo hurled a barrage of powerful beam and energy ball attacks towards Darkrai, the attacks managing to smash through its shield. Darkrai cried out, and Rayquaza wheeled towards Mewtwo. The Psychic Pokemon, however, turned in the air and held out its arm. Rayquaza crumpled against some invisible force, and was suspended in the air. With a cry from Mewtwo, Rayquaza flashed purple and vanished.

”What?” cried Lance, looking about the ruin of an arena. “Rayquaza?”

”I teleported him back to Hoenn. He is no longer yours, Lance.” If Mewtwo had a mouth, it would have had the same arrogant smirk that Lance had worn earlier. “Rayquaza has returned to the Sky Pillar. And your Darkrai is about to succumb to my power!”

Mewtwo darted forward, a blue shield having surrounded it, and Red felt the tooth around his neck vanish. Mewtwo raised its arm and brought the Dragon’s Tooth down hard into the side of Darkrai’s neck. He had teleported it away from Red! With a sickening scream, Darkrai’s body turned black, and it seemed to melt away, its essence being poured into the tooth that had kept Mewtwo for so long. Before it entirely vanished, its arm stuck out suddenly, sinking deep into Mewtwo’s chest. With the sound of bones snapping, Darkrai wrenched its arm back out again, before vanishing inside the pendant.

There was silence as Mewtwo landed next to Red, holding the place where Darkrai had stabbed him. “I think I am dying,” was all the Pokemon could say. Red held Mewtwo close as it struggled against death.

“This is impossible,” Lance muttered, a maddening look in his eyes. “I fought for so long to get Darkrai, and it lost…it lost to another Pokemon…” He looked up at Red. “But I did it for a good cause, I wanted to save people!”

Red shook his head, still holding Mewtwo’s dying body in his arms. “But people didn’t want saving, Lance. You were imposing your views on others, and few agreed with them. You were fighting for a non-existent cause.”

Lance looked into the sky where a reborn Moltres now flew south, and then to where Darkrai had been, before looking back at Red. “But everything I’ve done…people will hate me.” The look of horror on his face actually made Red feel pity for him, despite the death that he had caused. Then he remembered his comment, about how he had obliterated his friends.

“They probably already do, Lance,” he replied scathingly. “You have leveled the greatest city in Kanto, killing all those that inhabit it. There’s not a person alive that won’t hate you when they find out what you’ve done.”

Lance backed away, and Red knew what he was going to do moments before he did it.

The Dragon Trainer leapt from the roof.

”Of all people,” Mewtwo wheezed, as he took his last breaths, “he deserves death.”

High though they were, the sickening crunch was still very audible, while Mewtwo passed away.

Evening fell upon Johto and Kanto, and the latest news stories were of how a ravaged Saffron City had been liberated by a young trainer and his Psychic Pokemon, and was now being rebuilt by a combination of Sabrina’s Gym trainers and the Fighting Dojo trainers. The death toll was unconfirmed, but officials had assured the newsreaders that it would have been far higher had the tyrannical reign of Lance continued. His followers had largely been rounded up, all sixteen of them. Reports of Lance’s death were unconfirmed.

Red trudged through a quiet Blackthorn City. Lance’s words still haunted him, how all of his friends had perished in the battle. He didn’t really know why he was returning to Blackthorn, for if what Lance had said was true, then there would be no one left to greet him. But he had nowhere else to go.

He entered the spacious cave, and was surprised to see a number of people sat at the table, and his heart leapt when he saw Clair at the head of it.

“Red!” she cried, and the few people that were seated turned to look. Some of them clapped, but others were silent; they had lost friends in the battle. It was all very awkward.

“We heard of your victory in Saffron,” Clair told him, as he sat down. “We had to launch the Second front sooner than I had anticipated, for the first wave was ambushed. We thought that we would battle, and weaken Lance, so that when you arrived, we could fight together. However, we were defeated sooner than I thought, and we had to retreat.”

Red barely listened; if she was alive, perhaps his friends were! He looked at the somber faces of the group, but could see nothing of his friends.

A sudden noise caught his attention, and Xavier stormed through the door, his eyes as fiery as burning coals.

”Xavier!” cried Red, and stood up, but his joy was deflated as he saw the look that Xavier gave him.

With no warning, Xavier drew back his fist and struck Red hard across the jaw. Red fell back, steadying himself on the table.

“It’s your fault,” he hissed. “It’s your fault she’s gone.”

A sinking feeling passed over Red’s entire body. Moltres had come to his aid…where had Scarlet been?

“What do you mean?” Red replied hoarsely.

“Scarlet’s dead!” screamed Xavier, eyes wide. “My father is dead! Everyone who I have ever cared for has either died or has betrayed me, and it’s your fault.”

Clair edged closer. “Xavier, we have all lost loved ones, and you can’t blame it all on Red-“

Xavier’s rage was unbounded. “He gave her Moltres!” he shrieked, pointing at Red. “If he hadn’t, then Scarlet would not have been able to go to Vermillion! She’d still be here with us now, and she’d be alive.”

“Scarlet’s not dead,” Sabrina voiced, and Red was fleetingly glad to see that the Gym Leader was not one of those that had perished. “Any person that was struck down by Darkrai has gone to The Other World. She has suffered a fate worse than death.”

Red assumed that Sabrina had tried to make things better for him, but unwittingly failed. Xavier would have struck him again, had it not been for Clair guiding him away, soothing him while he cried bitter, angry tears. Red wished he’d followed Lance off that building and fallen to a justified death.

It had been some time since the battle of Saffron City, and the days had melted into one another, blending so that time seemed to rush by for Red. He had sat down with Clair, alone, and told her the events, of how Moltres had been killed and then reborn, while Rayquaza had been sent back to Hoenn. He told her how Mewtwo had died, trapping Darkrai in the pendant and how Lance had thrown himself from the Silph Co. building. He had given the tooth to Clair, and she promised that she would keep it safe, and that Darkrai would not be released again.

Red was consumed with grief at the death of his friend. He would spend hours on his bed in the Dragon’s Den, reminiscing. And each time he cried himself to sleep at night, he could only imagine the sadness that Xavier must be feeling, but ten times worse. Red had only lost a friend, whereas he had lost a partner, and his father. He had loved Scarlet more than anyone, and she was gone. He had searched for his father for the best part of a year and now he too had been torn from Xavier.

Red knew that he couldn’t stay at the Den forever. Clair was more than hospitable, but all of the other remaining Life Alliance members had left, including Xavier who had left without a word one stormy evening. Red felt that he was more than justified to have ignored his one-time friend, yet Red was guilt-ridden that he had not had a chance to even begin to rebuild bridges with Xavier.

Those Gym Leaders that survived the battle all returned to their towns and cities, trying to settle into the normal routines while mourning their lost kindred. Eusine had promised to fight in the second front but then conveniently ‘regretted’ not fighting in the first wave, and decided he would fight in neither. He skillfully avoided any confrontation with the enemy and had returned to Ecruteak with Morty.

Red was the only one to have stayed, having nowhere else to go. How could he return to Pallet Town with blood on his hands? He had killed his assassin, forced the suicide of his greatest enemy, and held his dying Pokemon while it took its last, shuddering breaths. Not only that, but he had lent his then-strongest Pokemon to his friend, sealing her fate, and Moltres’ at the same time.

How would he return to a normal life?

The answer came in the form of a letter. It was addressed to Red, and had a familiar address at the heading.

Dear Red,

I have taken so long to write to you because I feel that you are in need of a much deserved rest. You have come so far since you left Pallet Town with Bulbasaur. You have come of age.
I am writing to congratulate you on your victory against Lance, and to thank you for, without understating the fact, saving the world. It’s not a privilege many people get to act out, and you performed your duty with utmost skill.
I know that you, like others, lost a loved one. Your friend Scarlet died as she would have wanted to, fighting the enemy and standing for the truth that she believed in. However, as The Life Alliance tells me, Scarlet did not officially ‘die.’ Instead, she has been sent to the home world of Darkrai and since he is not there and she is, I am sure it is a much better place than it was.
However, a congratulatory purpose was not this letter’s only one, and the main reason I sent this was to ask you to run an errand for me; I have been visiting the region of Hoenn recently, and on my last journey, I discovered a stone tablet with ancient inscriptions on it, and thought that you would be interested. It seems to allude to a peculiar item I found in the ruins of Saffron that you might find intriguing. Similarly, there is a meteor shower on the fifth of January, and the view, I’m told, is best from Mossdeep’s own space center, which is close to where I am staying. I would be most grateful for your company, and any help with the tablet’s inscription would be most useful.
It is not just your help that I require, but I’m sure you could do with a holiday away from Kanto and Johto; I imagine there isn’t a person that doesn’t know your name by now!

My best regards,

Professor Samuel Oak.

P.S A rejuvenated Moltres has been sighted flying around Cinnabar Island, much to Blaine’s delight, and I’m sure yours too!

P.P.S. My grandson, Blue, will also be present, and I’m sure the two of you would love to catch up! See you soon!

The letter at the end is integral to the sequel, and also a way of leaving a little ray of hope at the end for Red. :P

Finally, thank you all for being such excellent viewers. Without you all, I wouldn't have had the motivation to continue and even end this story, so thanks to everyone who encouraged me. ;)

Special Thanks:

My Aunt who, though she won't be reading this, deserves a mention so that you all know that the eloquence that may or may not have come across was a big part in the creation of this story.

Thunder_Dude7 for managing to catch up with the story, despite starting it when I was so many chapters in. Reading that much in bulk and then commenting on it all is great, and encouraging, so much thanks to you.

yoyoyo4582, for forcing himself to comment, even while suffering from a thumb injury. ;)

DarkPhantom02, though he hasn't posted in here for a while, he sparked off something inside me, with his Karthom Blades, forcing me to write more. I can't explain it, but I'm pretty sure that without him, this would have gone no where.

And finally,

DNA. My most faithful reader here, nearly always the first to comment, and the last to criticise. Special thanks goes to DNA for having to endure my spelling as well, and not moaning about it as much he really should have done. ;)

...well, this is all rather odd. It's the end, isn't it? No more updates, no more 'meh, TDWH > Homework, it can wait until the weekend, let's write another chapter.'

I'm going to miss this thread. I'll have to start a new one.

Final word, before I post this:

Thanks to you all. <3

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:48 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

I feel honored to have earned the top spot on your acknowledgments list...As always, what always happens next is whatever is least expected.
I had thought Lance was truly evil, Scarlet was really dead, but now that I've read Oak's Letter (I hear Jirachi, Shaymin, and Deoxys suggestions in the sequel), she may make a return again, and I'm sure she will. (Now I know that just because I said that, you won't bring her back. :idea: )
As always, I look forward to the sequel. Your story has inspired me so much I almost feel like it deserves a whole new sig.

- DNA

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:31 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I'm on the special thanks list! Yay me! But far more so:

Yay The Obsidian Wolf! I don't regret my action by any means. I can't wait to see the sequel. I have a suspision that the sequel will be Red finding the tem and trying to get Scarlet(and perhaps others) out of The Other World, while Scarlet discovers that he cannot get them out alone and finds out only she can help the others escape.

Just a guess.

PS I have thought over it, and I have found your 1 and only fault:

Names(Seriously, Yellow? Gold? Blue? Thankfully, Red is an actual name, so I don't go insane every time I see it.)

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:46 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

PS I have thought over it, and I have found your 1 and only fault:

Names(Seriously, Yellow? Gold? Blue? Thankfully, Red is an actual name, so I don't go insane every time I see it.)

Heheh, the names are really just to make it clear who the person is. 'Red' is the main character from POkemon Red. Blue, therefore, is clearly his rival. Gold is the main character of Pokemon Gold (and silver, to an extent) and therefore explains why he has a Cyndaquil and is travelling around Johto. And Yellow, who had a Pikachu, was supposed to be the character from Pokemon Yellow. My choice of names should dramatically improve in the next sequel. :P

Quote:
I had thought Lance was truly evil, Scarlet was really dead, but now that I've read Oak's Letter (I hear Jirachi, Shaymin, and Deoxys suggestions in the sequel), she may make a return again, and I'm sure she will. (Now I know that just because I said that, you won't bring her back. )

Heh, don't worry about that, because I've planned the whole thing out. It's entrenched in stone, so I won't be changing much about the whole plot.

But before 'The Secret She Holds' gets underway...I'm going to work on a little story detailing Mewtwo's mystery. I've planned it all out in my mind, and it shouldn't take long at all, but it's just writing it, now...

Quote:
As always, I look forward to the sequel. Your story has inspired me so much I almost feel like it deserves a whole new sig.

If only my sig-making skills were any good. The one that I have at the moment is a bit...rubbish? Perhaps I should ask for one in the Slateport Market. Thanks for the tip DNA. ;)

Oh, and DNA guessed one of the Legendary Pokemon that will be central to TSSH, the sequel. It will be even more obvious than the 'Darkrai secret' and that wasn't well hidden at all. :P But you'll see, I'm hoping the plot will keep you reading. :)

Thanks everyone once again. I think I might go and start that Mewtwo sideplot right now...

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:10 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

WOOHOO! Awesome ending to an awesome story! and thank you for putting me on the "Special Thanks" list. I truly appreciate it. I have to find something else to obsess my life with now....:wink: or at least until the sequel. Thanks!

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

Post kek
kek, pikachu, u just based it on ash ketchum's story...
wheres ur imagination?

I am the Professor, i will create the perfectest Pokemon to anyone's desires. And i have a loving affection toward the Dark type, they so damn cute and they think they're badass. They are just playfull lil' critters, like any other Pokemon.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:37 am
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

2X4n4 wrote:
wheres ur imagination?

How dare you say something so inaccurate and foolish about a story as great as this.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:11 am
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

2X4n4 wrote:
wheres ur imagination?

1. Have you read the whole of my fanfic?

2. Using Pikachu in a Pokemon fanfic does not constitute it being plagerism, unless you then use it in concert with other rip off techniques.

3. What the hell is 'kek?'

4. Ash Ketchum, to my knowledge, did not have his mind inhabited by Darkrai, did not ever own Moltres, never owned Mewtwo, did not travel to Mt. Silver in order to find out why he was schizophrenic (nor was he ailed with a mental illness, though this can be disputed) and did not have Lance and Lorelei as enemies, never met up and travelled with Eusine, did not have original characters for friends, did not take part in a Dragon Tournament, did not actually have a character...where could I end? I couldn't.

5. If you're going to make an argument, at least read the whole fic and then formulate something to say.

6. You're in no position to criticise my fanfic making skills when you have the grammatical age of a three year old - no, I'm sure they could even formulate a better argument. I would imagine you made this post for the sake of post count (which I still think should be banned)

7. My imagination is pretty good, thank you, and I stress again, if you had read the whole fic, you would have noted that I have not used any ideas that are present from anything else.

8. Did Ash actually ever have a story that wasn't 'ZOMG NEW POKEYMANZ, *random event* ZOMG TEAM ROCKET *'evil and new' plan, that fails "PIKACHU, [insert variation of electric attack here + featured Pokemon's signature attack (eg, Confusion with a Drowzee, etc)] happily-ever-after style ending.

9. Just to make sure the contrast between my fanfic and Ketchum's story is clear...I don't recall ever seeing a main character's death (not counting The First Movie when Ash was (sadly) resurrected.) Similarly, I use a multitude of different Pokemon in the fic, whereas Ash just seems to use Pikachu and his current Pokemon, rarely changing them or their attacks throughout each season. Also, Ash Ketchum is the typical Gary-Stu who has no fault other than his own ambition (which is actually another trait of a Gary-Stu) whereas I (without trying to sound bigheaded) have a multitude of different character's whose personalities are not only different from the charries in Ketchum's world, but also they also change as the fic goes on. Note how Scarlet is a tough girl at the beginning but the contrast is clear when she falls in love with Xavier. Read: this is nothing like Ash Ketchum.

10. You fail at life, get out this topic.

(Thanks for your intervention DNA, much appreciated.)

And I will use this excessively long post to just comment; I've not updated the whole 1.5 Sequel because, quite simply, I've not had the time. I've either been doing masses of revision, or I've been striking down noobs.

Hope you all had a good christmas, etc.

~Obs.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:52 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

You're welcome; I felt like I had to do something.

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:04 pm
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

Well, by today, someone has learned a big lesson: "Do not look over a good fiction and believe it is bad just because of a small detail that makes no sence to burst a complaint on".

As to Obs, I'm looking forward to reading your 1.5 sequel (Hell! I wanted to be the first one in this forum to do a 1.5 sequel for his/her story D:...) And I'll force myself to understand what is happening, even if that needs to reread a certain chap of this story or looking something up in Wikipedia or anything.

Basically, a 1.5 Sequel before a 2.0 sequel was all what you did before me that I also intended to do, but I can formulate something else quite easily.

"Team Seekers"

"I'm perhaps the least typical Ledian user you'll ever get to see in the whole OU" - AABM.

· Say, Orange looks better than gray, doesn't it?

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 pm
Psychic Trainer
Psychic Trainer

I joined this forum only a few days ago and as soon as i found this story accidentally i just couldn't stop reading. I have read every single chapter including the 1.5 sequel and i must say that i'm impressed. You have a very vivid imagination as well as an excellent way to describe things and passing to the reader the emotions of each situation! Keep up the good work...! :D (Can't wait to read the next chapter :wink: )

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:33 am
Pokemon Trainer
Pokemon Trainer

i only started reading the story a few days ago and i love it
but just on thing?
do alex and scarlet and the others who went to the other world come back?

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:30 pm
Trivia Champion
Trivia Champion

hey obsidian wolf
i only started reading the story a few days ago and i love it
but just on thing?
do alex and scarlet and the others who went to the other world come back?

This leg of the story is long over. You'll have to wait for the sequel to find out.

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6