It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Scrubs 
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

This is seriously an awesome show.

About a year ago, Young Swampert told me to turn my TV to NBC and catch an episode. I watched a bit of a 40 year old man walk around a hospital belittling people and talking endlessly, and while slightly comedic, did not hook me. It was just another doctor show to me.

Later this summer, while staying up late due to not having to go to bed for school, I was flipping through the channels until I came across a show with a skinny man in his 30s with black hair talking to an even skinnier blonde woman, both in a hospital. It was extremely funny, and I kept watching until the episode ended, which was quite emotional. Afterwards, I turned my TV to the same channel for the next few weeks every day at 11:30 and 12:00 to watch Scrubs. It was not until a few weeks later that I made teh connection between this show and the one my friend told me to watch almost a year ago.

The first paragraph describes a season 6 episode. The second one describes a season 5 episode. If I had to honestly rank all the [completed] seasons, it'd be something like this:

5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 1

This show is an excellent blend of silliness, comedy, and emotional drama. It's always been a problem for me, enjoying shows with continuity, yet also enjoying the silliness of cartoons. Scrubs solves that problem quite well with JD and other characters' dream sequences.

I don't really like how the female characters are handled. Dr. Cox, JD, Turk, the Janitor, and Kelso seem to keep getting more awesome with each season, but I don't like Elliot at all in seasons 6-7, and Carla it seems has lost a lot of what made her so cool. I liked Elliot best when it she was a lost, stressed out, and confused little girl in a 26yo's body, and needed her friends to help her. Yes, the fact that she developed into a more independent being is good, but now it seems the only parts of her character left are her insane thought process and her love for s-e-x. I guess you could say Elliot's appeal went with her Scrubs.

Carla, on the other hand, started off as this nurse who'd been working at the hospital for years, had lots of spunk and pride in her Latina heritage. She was a really tough woman, and knew it herself, so used that toughness to help others. Now it seems like she's softened way too much, and has been come too integrated with the newer doctors (Turk, JD, and Elliot), as opposed to being where she belongs with the senior employees. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with her hanging with them, but the Carla in the beginning of the series really didn't seem like the kind of person who would EVER have Elliot as a best friend, and it bothers me to this day that they are. She's also a lot more crazy, and they added in that "Carla tries to be funny but isn't" gag which is extremely annoying and way out of character for the woman we all knew from My First Day. Oh well. At least she isn't total crap like Elliot's become. :/

Discuss. And I mean actually discuss. Take what the group is saying and respond to it, don't just mindlessly throw out your opinions and leave, because that's not a discussion. We don't have any real discussion topics at anywhere on Psypoke, so let's start here.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:01 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Yeah scrubs is a great show I try to watch it everytime I get a chance to catch it on TV. Actually I used to think the show wasn't funny till I saw an episode with alot of Dr. Cox(if that's how you spell it). In my opinion I think Dr.Cox makes the show, his smart comments to JD and his harsh way of teaching the doctors a lesson if really funny to me for some reason. JD and Turks friendship is also another thing that makes the show for me, there like brothers. They do some of the funniest things together and have some of the funniest conversations.Also Jordan(Dr.Cox's wife) is just like a girl version of him so she's also one of my favorite characters, sometimes she's even funnier than Dr.Cox, especially in the episodes when she was pregnant.

I hate Elliot/Barbie, I wish she wasn't in the show.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

Dr. Cox is indeed hilarious. His character is alright, but it's his rant that make me care about him at all. One of the things I really like about the show is how it seems they try to make an effort to have each of the characters interact with each of the other characters.

JD x Elliot - Dated, best friends
JD x Turk - Best friends
JD x Carla - Kissed in Season 4, Also very close relationship as shown in Season 2
JD x Dr. Cox - Majority of the important episodes in the series
JD x Kelso - The first episode, plus every once in a while Kelso will yell at him or give him some kind of advice
JD x Janitor - Janitor is always antagonizing him

Elliot x Turk - Elliot and Turk formed a close friendship in Season 1
Elliot x Carla - Best friends (even though it contradicts Carla's personality, but it actually goes great with Elliot's >_>)
Elliot x Dr. Cox - Dr. Cox is always bellitling her, but still cares for her and occasionally manages to come through for her emotionally
Elliot x Kelso - Season 2 finale, Elliot also threw him a birthday party
Elliot x Janitor - Janitor used to crush on her

Turk x Carla - Married, obviously
Turk x Dr. Cox - Dr. Cox antagonizes him just like anybody else, I just think Turk is the most immune. They also compete a lot
Turk x Kelso - There was a Season 1/2 episode where Turk found out about one of Kelso's secret, and Turk agreed to keep that secret
Turk x Janitor - Janitor occasionally antagonizes Turk, just as he would JD, and Turk has been seen to do favors for JD by getting back at the Janitor

Carla x Dr. Cox - Used to date, Perry respects her, go way back
Carla x Kelso - Kelso also respects her and expects of her as the head nurse, Carla never seems to let him down
Carla x Janitor - Janitor fears Carla, and is the only one to do so

Dr. Cox x Kelso - Hate each other, but are getting better. They also respect each other
Dr. Cox x Janitor - There was one episode where they fought over a luxury room, and they also bet on whether or not Janitor would date Elliot. They occasionally bicker and get at each other.

Kelso x Janitor - Janitor knows and respects Kelso. Kelso...kind of...respects Janitor? D:

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Pokemon Master
Pokemon Master

Your right, his rants are the things I like about him, also when he says the meanest things at the wrong times.

Also most shows have relationships like that to make history for the viewers. That 70's Show is a perfect example.

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger

I like Scrubs a lot too although I don't get much of a chance to watch it.
I'm not sure which series I've seen, I think probably the earlier ones. I like Turk and JD ('n' maybe the Janitor as well) best, although the girls do amuse me sometimes but like I said, I don't know if I've seen the later series to comment on how their characters have become.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:36 pm
Dragon Tamer
Dragon Tamer

This show is an excellent blend of silliness, comedy, and emotional drama.

Having watched Scrubs roughly in chrolnological order, I think you've slated Elliot and Carla unfairly. You say the show has emotional drama and that's often centered around these one or both of two characters. It's clear to see how they have both developed over the years to become best friends - recall the first series where the silences between them as they only even speak because of JD and Turk. The way they've grown has shown they've become much more similar which has fuelled their friendship - Carla becoming more open and fragile while Elliot is stronger and more feisty. I admit, Elliot doesn't offer the same comedic value as she used to but she contributes in different ways now - and she still has her moments (her and Keith in the boxes).

Also, no character can be funnier than Jordan. I don't think I need to explain but those swollen collagen lips in that hot office will cover it. I refuse to argue on that point too.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:57 pm
Gym Leader
Gym Leader

The emotional drama I'm referring to comes mainly from JD (My Life in Four Cameras, My Lunch, My Screw Up, My Mentor, My Five Stages, My Inconvenient Truth, many others). I do agree that they've both developed into better persons, just lest interesting ones. For example:

Carla-
She used to place herself above everyone else and always be on her high horse and be very proud and look down on people. She eventually shed that character flaw, which is excellent for her, but then she had to adapt new character traits (not for writing's sake, I could picture this happening similarly irl). So instead she took on loving Turk more, and being more of a family person. Good developemt? Yes. More interesting? No.

Elliot-
She used to be absolutely terrified of sex, using words like bajingo and sching-schwong. Also growing out of that, she's successfully able to have Mexican apple fantasies with Keith and has even made it a goal in her life to have children. Good development? Yes. Do I want to watch Elliot's entire life seemingly revolve around sex? No.

Also, I love Jordan, but I don't find her that funny. She is the only female who has progressed over the years, and she has gotten the most of the improvement. However, she doesn't count because she's not one of the main seven.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]